Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
SERUM HELP!!! ISC vs Skinceuticals
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:02 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,

I am about to change my serums in my skincare regime and was all set to get Skinceuticals Serum 20 and Phyto Corrective Gel. However I soon came across some ISC threads. Now I have just spent an hour reading all the ISC threads and am torn between what to get. ISC is much more expensive as well. But there are just too many people that have experienced very fast effects with the Active Serum, and if I get the Active Serum of course I'd have to get the Hydracool. Now if I get these do I still need a vit C in the day time? I have also emailed skinterra for a consultation and planning to talk to someone from theskincareinstitute as well. But I need your opinions. Should I start off with Skinceuticals before trying ISC? Am I too young for ISC products? Should I get super serum for the daytime if I use active serum at night?

I'm super confused. Confused
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:39 am      Reply with quote
Sormuimui -

I think at our age, even using a VC 20% serum would be enough.

From a financial point of view, I'd start with the cheaper (SC) product, and if you're not happy with the result then move up to ISC.

HTH
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:51 am      Reply with quote
Wanted to update - I emailed Skinterra, theskincareinstitute, and IS Clinical.

Skinterra:
Morning:

1. IS Clinical Cleansing Complex ($36.00) or SkinCeuticals Clarifying Cleanser ($22.50) - helps lessen blackheads and decrease oiliness
2. IS Clinical C15 Serum ($75.00) - helps improve the texture of the skin and even out the skin tone or SkinCeuticals Blemish Control Gel ($32.00)
3. Innovative Skincare SPF20 Sunscreen Powder ($40.00)

Evening:

1. IS Clinical Cleansing Complex
2. IS Clinical Active Serum ($120.00) - helps exfoliate dead skin, improve the texture of the skin, clear up breakouts, minimize pores, lessen blackheads and even out the skin tone

I was quite surprised neither Proheal nor Hydracool was on there. And more surprised they recommend C15 rather than Super or Proheal.

theskininstitute:
"Hello, you are not too young to start good skin care.You need the Cleansing Complex, the active serum and hydracool.You may substitute the phytocorrective gel for the hydracool. Before adding a c based serum, I suggest you get your skin in balance.The products I mentioned will do that"

A followup email suggests that the phyto corrective would be more suitable than hydracool. Getting my skin in balance meant establishing the right pH which would be done by the cleanser (although I'm not sure if I would really purchase the cleanser).

IS Clinical:
AM: Cleansing Complex; Pro-Heal Serum; Moisturizing Complex and/or Moisturizing Sunscreen

PM: Cleansing Complex; Active Serum; Hydra-Cool Serum

"If you can only choose one product at this time, I would recommend the Active Serum as the one that would be most beneficial to you, based on the information you have provided."

I think the Active Serum is on everyone's list so I am going to purchase samples of those from ebay along with the phyto corrective before I get the full sizes to make sure they're not too strong for my skin. Even if the Active Serum doesn't work the, I was planning to get the Phyto anyways, so good now I can use it instead of hydracool (as I think Phyto is a better product than hydracool if I needed to use it alone).

Maybe some of the IS Clinical fans in here could give me some additional pointers on what I should be using.
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:10 pm      Reply with quote
you might also try asking for a sample of active from the consultant you spoke with and then see if you want to spend on more samples or purchase at all. I love active, but you might get a sample for free.
anjim
5% products discount

Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:30 pm      Reply with quote
I could not live with out ISC cleansing complex, proheal, and active serum. I used to have acne, but no more, thanks to ISC! It cleared-up in just a week of use. The serums will seem harsh at first, but just start with a light hand. I have been using the products for 10 months now. I hope they never stop making these products! I wish I knew about these products when I was 20yrs old. I am 2 months away from my 34th B-day, but people are shocked when I tell them my age. I work with people who are 21-25yrs old. They always think I'm around the same. Laughing
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, I might try to get samples of proheal too, although I'm a little more hesitant about proheal since there are mixed opinions on EDS. I'm a little baffled about my vit C answer I got from theskininstitute - they recommended Skinceuticals C15. I find it odd because serum 15 from SC according to the SC website is NOT for oily skin or acneic skin while both serum 10 AND 20 is. Now I'm even more confused. Confused Any ideas on why they would recommend C15 - skinterra recommended IS Clinical C15 as well.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:58 am      Reply with quote
sormuimui-My understanding is that Skinceuticals recommends only the 10% serum for acne prone skin and recommends either the 15% or 20% for oily skin. I have discussed this with various Skinceuticals retailers and the understanding is that more than 10% Vitamin C may cause more breakouts. (I don't think this is necessarily true as I have been using the Proheal which has 15% C and it has not caused more breakouts for me.)
If you indicated to skinterra that you were interested in ISC then I could see why you would get the 15% recommendation as ISC does not make a C serum with less than 15%. Also, Proheal is indicated for the treatment of acne so if you indicated that you had acne then I could see why that one would be recommended. I actually went with the Proheal because at the time I was researching C serums it was the only one that no one on the forum had said caused them to breakout more. Alas, that has changed and now there are like you said mixed opinions.
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:18 am      Reply with quote
Thanks TheresaL. I was just confused why Skinterra would recommend C15 instead of Proheal, it seemed from the other threads that Proheal was a commone recommendation and I did indicate that I was acne-prone. theskincareinstitute then recommended Skinceuticals serum 15 rather than IS Clinical to me (as I asked her which vit C I should opt for). And finally Skinceutical representatives told me I should start on 10% only because I've never used a Vit C serum before but then I could go on to 15 or 20 after the bottle of 10. From the Skinceuticals Product Fact sheets it indicates 20% for normal to oily skin and 10% for sensitive. Both the 10 and 20 under "usage recommendations" indicate acne, so I assumed they would work. Now I'm more confused as to which one to get - 10 or 20. Confused
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:17 am      Reply with quote
sormuimui what results are you looking for and what are your skincare concerns? It is possible that the retailers you contacted felt that you did not need the Proheal based on your age and what your concerns were. IMO, unless you have sensitive skin you should start with a 15% C serum. If you have never tried C serums, I would definetly recommend samples.
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:12 am      Reply with quote
Well I emailed each with almost the same content - the type of skin I have and which would be most suitable. I didn't particularly address particular concerns as I just wanted to know which % of Vit C would suit my skintype. What I'm looking for with a Vit C is basically what the Vit C is SUPPOSED to do - preventative measures (antioxidant content), healing of my acne-prone skin, smoothing and evening out my overall skintone and would be best if it helped with acne (but I'm not too picky about that as diff ppl have diff effects). But it seems they all offer diff opinions so I'm sort of confused. I do not have sensitive skin at all and I have noted that in my emails. I am getting samples of the Proheal with my order of the Active Serum and since Proheal has 15% I'll know what is suitable for me. I think if Proheal doesn't work out I might opt for Skinceuticals 20% but then again I'm not SURE I NEED such strong vit C at my age. I also mentioned my age in my emails but to no avail. And since I will be using the Active serum should I use 10% so my skin won't be irritated - I'll be using the Phyto Corrective to sooth my skin both AM and PM.

A question about Vit C though - if I do end up using the 20%, will my skin get used to it and the effects become less and less apparent? I don't want my skin to be tolerant of everything by the time I'm 40.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:35 am      Reply with quote
sormuimui you may have gotten different Vitamin C recommendations but it looks like all of them recommended the 15% (except for Skinceuticals saying to start with 10%). The sample of Proheal will be enough for you to tell if your skin can tolerate it but it will not be enough for you to tell if you are getting the results you want, that takes time. In case you don't know the Proheal is a C+E serum and some people seem to have problems with viamin e acne wise. Although I have never had problems with it and I know that others have mentioned using C+E serums and not having their acne worsen. Just something to keep in mind. I know it will be hard to do but I would not start using the Proheal and Active serums at the same time. Start out with one and then add the other. If you don't have sensitive skin you probably should be able to tolerate the Proheal (or another 15% C serum) and the Active at the same time. But you will not know for sure until you start using them. I have no idea about developing a tolerance to the 20%. IMO you should not need to go up to the 20% serum.

Just curious are you leaning towards the Proheal as your C serum or are you leaning towards something else?
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:13 pm      Reply with quote
I'm leaning toward Skinceuticals C serums because they seem simple and I don't need extra ingredients for anti-aging. I thought I'd try some Proheal since a lot of people on EDS find it helps with acne but I'm a bit nervous as it has retinol in it and although I'm not sure but I have a feeling I'm a bit sensitive to retinol. Once I bought an acne cream with retinol once and it made my skin peel and red but I only used it about 2 times before I threw it to the back of the cabinet, and it was a long time ago so I can't be sure if my skin is really sensitive to retinol or not.

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a week or two before I start on the Proheal, and I think I might do a patch test on a little part on my face beforehand as well.
anjim
5% products discount

Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
It's the retinol that clears up acne. It is a little intense at first, but you just have to deal with the pealing for a few days and your face will be red for about 15 minutes after applying pro-heal. IMO, vit C does not do much to clear up acne on it's own, but I guess that may be just my skin. I tried the skincentuals before pro-heal, and no results for me. Let us know how it's coming along.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:40 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |