Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sunscreen application and reapplication
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:58 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

I had a few questions about sunscreen. Do we always need to reapply sunscreen even though we don't sweat throughout the day? for example, i usually wake up in the morning and apply my moisturizer then sunscreen. I am usually studying in my airconditioned room until 3pm, then i drive (30-45 minutes on the road) to school. should i have to reapply my sunscreen prior to leaving my house if i already have it on still from the morning? i usually only reapply around my mouth area since i eat and am sure it gets washed away around there. but is it really necessary to do the whole face?
skin care addict
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
I recently heard that you need to re-apply every two hours when you are in the sun.
Now,we need someone to invent a light weight,skin softening lotion with great protection.
skincareaddict Cool
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:16 pm      Reply with quote
This is too funny...skincareaddicted, skin care addict, and skincarefreak. i think we have the skincare part covered Laughing Anyhow, from what I hear it's every two hours for chemical sunscreens and every four for physical.
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:18 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah, I don't think it matters if you sweat it off or not ... you still need to reapply it on a after a certain time (depending on the SPF). Smile
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:40 pm      Reply with quote
Actually, 'expert' opinion varies on this. With the photostable euro SS some sites and a doctor say once a day is enough if you're not exerting yourself; sweating and producing excessive sebum.

With not so stable chemical ones, yes it's an absolute must to reapply every 2 hours because the UV radiation breaks it down.

With minerals - you can see them. I really don't think it's necessary except for touch ups where you rub your face or it comes off like around the mouth, chin on me and nose.

So generally speaking I wouldn't worry too much if you're getting low exposure like a typical working day if you use a stable euro SS or minerals unless you're going for a long hike after work.
michelec
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:22 pm      Reply with quote
I also thought that with the stable European 'mondo' sunscreen you don't need to reapply. In fact, they are hard to get off, even after a long day. I only can get them off with OCM. But that has actually started to freak me out. I'm thinking about switching to a more natural, physical SS. Maybe it would be nice to take a little break in the afternoon to rinse my face and reapply it. I don't wear foundation so that part wouldn't be a problem. Maybe I would just mix it with a drop of Hauschka bronzer and rub it in and go.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:38 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Michelec - I've had enough of the euro SS too and the cloying factor. After a year of it I'm rebelling. Have you tried the new Clarins UV plus SPF 40? (100% mineral screens) It's quite a delight to wear - so light and matt.
michelec
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:52 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, thanks Molly, that's a great idea. I think I heard about that one and that people like it. I think it's expensive. But then, it would just be for my face and I could make it last.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:48 am      Reply with quote
that is too funny! i thought i had accidentally replied to myself for a second there Laughing

Molly, i have heard that european sunscreens offer more protection than japanese sunscreens, but i am so addicted to the milky lightness of japanese brands, and what i am using now has an SPF 50+ PA+++. anyhow, the brands i am using now have mineral ingredients so i guess i am ok.

michelec--i am not sure how much protection u need, but if you can't stand the heaviness of euro brands, i suggest you try some japanese ones as they are awesome. i am currently using sofina, kanebo, and omi sun bears and they all offer the same level of protection they are just a little hard to get a hold of if you aren't in asia, i get mine from ebay. i have heard the clarins one is excellent, and i plan to pop into macy's to grab a sample.

thanks ladies, i feel reassured now.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:58 am      Reply with quote
Trouble is Skincareaddicted that it's like Michelc says the nice physical blocks like you use have much lower UVA protection. I never saw one go higher than 8PPD (if I'm wrong there I'd be pleased if someone would tell me higher), whereas the euros tend to start at 15 and can go up to 28 or even higher. There's no comparison.

So euro SS are yucky to use but high anti-aging and physical SS are nicer to use and whitening but not wholly protective at a deeper level.

So now I'm feeling naughty but nice with my mineral screen.
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:00 am      Reply with quote
The two sunscreens that I use most often don't appear to need re-application as I am able to stay out in the sun all day without any hint of burning. They are Kosmea SPF30 and Remergent SPF30.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:09 am      Reply with quote
This may be a stupid question as I've just STARTED to use sunscreen (I only used to use makeup with SPF 20), anyways, can I apply it to my eyes? Or are you not supposed to?
Btw - I use the Clarins one.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:32 am      Reply with quote
Sormuimui - It's fine on your eyes. The insert even says so. But it makes mine water a bit if I go too near the edges.
Eve
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:06 am      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:
Hi everyone,

I had a few questions about sunscreen. Do we always need to reapply sunscreen even though we don't sweat throughout the day? for example, i usually wake up in the morning and apply my moisturizer then sunscreen. I am usually studying in my airconditioned room until 3pm, then i drive (30-45 minutes on the road) to school. should i have to reapply my sunscreen prior to leaving my house if i already have it on still from the morning? i usually only reapply around my mouth area since i eat and am sure it gets washed away around there. but is it really necessary to do the whole face?

I've been thinking about this as I often walk home in the sun.

I guess it depends on the type of sunscreen.

Thinking about it, if I'm using my green people sun cream it contains Titanium dioxide, natural Cinnamic acid and Edelweiss extract. Now the titanium doesn't wear out - it has to be removed but the other DOES degrade somewhere between 2-4 hours (I don't remember the exact figure) which is why they ask you to reapply after a couple of hours. So while the UVA would be fine because of titanium the UVB protection would have worn off.

That's how I understand things to be. Confused

http://www.greenpeople.co.uk/Organics_Features_UV_Exposure.htm

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:05 am      Reply with quote
I've finally splashed out on the Clarins and it really is as light and non-greasy as everyone saya. What an improvement!
michelec
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:02 am      Reply with quote
Hi, just getting on line on the west coast. So, I think as I was tired last night I may have gotten UVA and UVB mixed up. But most of my info is from MUA where they have TONS on info and I think some people have biology backgrounds and they know their stuff.

The gist is the titanium is not as high of a PPD and not lasting as long. But I may not be caring so much anymore. All the info made me frothy and it was too much. I am in Seattle where it's rarely burning sunshine so there's that. I also am moving to more natural products so there's that. And also, I want to buy from companies not testing on animals (just my deal, don't want to start a whole discussion). That's where it gets hard. So, that could rule out a lot of the European and Japanese ones.

So, my head could explode. I want to be protected and I want to look good at 60 (I'm 37), but I don't want to look freaky and pasty in the meantime. It's probably multifactioral and really not JUST about the SS anyway.
Eve
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:14 am      Reply with quote
http://www.makeupalley.com/user/notepad/sunscreenFAQ#uva

I'm happy with my creams.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:37 am      Reply with quote
Hey Eve, I just checked out the greenpeople and it really looks like an option. It sounds like it meets my goals and is a company I would support. I may try it and just make it a point to reappy once in the afternoon. Maybe combine it with a water and snack break.
Thanks.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:45 am      Reply with quote
Molly--Yes, i read recently about the PDD levels of euro versus japanese sunscreens. it offers more protection, but my god, the feel is so unpleasant. i really do avoid the sun like a plague and wear a hat at almost all times, even with sunscreen on. but i do think if i were to spend a whole day outside, i would need to go euro. does anyone know what PPD level the clarins on offers?
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:16 am      Reply with quote
Eve--thanks for the link, i just read it, it is jam packed with information as well as links to the ingredients to some of my sunscreens, very awesome!
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:18 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |