Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Cleansing milk ok for combination skin?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:03 pm      Reply with quote
Hi ladies,

I got my new edition of glamour in the mail and there was an article about why french women have such lovely skin and they said that french women tend to use cleansing milks and stay away from harsh scrubs.

I am tempted to try a cleansing milk though i have combination skin with dry cheeks and oily t-zone, and usually use foaming cleansers. i have used cleansing creams in the past and hated them. the only cleansing milk i have tried is Yonka's lait which i didn't feel cleaned my face at all. do you think it's ok for my skin type to try a cleansing milk or should i just forget it and stick with foams which i always have worked for me?

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:10 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, cleansing milk is great for your skin type. A while ago when my skin was really breaking out, my aesthecian got me onto Decleor Cleansing Milk and it cleared my breakouts out up no time. Now I almost always use a cleansing milk.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:28 pm      Reply with quote
I think that the appropriate cleansing milk is fine for your skin type. I would recommend the Yonka Cleansing Cream which is what I have been using as my morning cleanser for the past 5 or 6 weeks. I have oily skin and find that this does a great job of cleansing without overdrying. I can't say how good it is at removing makeup since I use it in the morning. I think that one of the keys to successfully using a cleansing milk or cream is to remove it with a damp cloth (I use muslin cloths) and then rinse thoroughly with water. I have the Yonka Cleansing Milk but have not tried it yet. If I remember I will use the milk instead of the cream tomorrow morning and compare them since you did not like the milk.
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:41 pm      Reply with quote
I use a cleansing milk in the winter down here in AZ (the desert). But I don't just tissue it off...I do rinse it.

And my face never feels tight...it's wonderful!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:01 pm      Reply with quote
TheresaL--that would be great if you can tell me what the difference between the milk and the cream is. i am probably psyched out at the fact that my skin doesn't feel "squeaky" clean after cleansing.

paris--i don't think i could tissue off either, that might feel a little weird for me.

Lucinda--decleor sounds good, you know where i can samples before i buy full size?

and with milk cleansers, would i still be using the oil cleansing method to remove sunscreen and makeup or will the milk cleanser be enough?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:56 pm      Reply with quote
Clarins makes a good cleansing milk, there's one for combination skin just like yours. They use the press and lift method and after you do that you can either rinse or tissue off. I suggest you always follow cleansing milks with toner to ensure you remove any residue from the milk.

HTH
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:07 am      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:
TheresaL--that would be great if you can tell me what the difference between the milk and the cream is. i am probably psyched out at the fact that my skin doesn't feel "squeaky" clean after cleansing.

skincareaddicted I tried the milk this morning and definetly prefer the cream. The milk left a very slight residue on my skin while with the cream my skin just feels soft not like it has residue. The Yonka Cream Cleanser is supposed to remove makeup and sunscreen so I guess you wouldn't have to use oil beforehand. If I were to use the Cream Cleanser in the evening I would have to see how I would want to work it. I might use a cleansing oil first or I might not.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:04 pm      Reply with quote
TheresaL--i tried the milk again, it's ok, i guess i have to get use to the sensation, especially since i am used to the foam. the cream sounds nice, i am gonna request a sample from my ebay seller. cream cleansing seems a more efficient method though i suspect oil cleansing would be better at removing heavy makeup. thanks!

sormuimui--a toner definitely helps make my skin feel more normal. i just worry about applying my serums because i am supposed to apply before toning. how would i deal with that?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:23 pm      Reply with quote
clarins and DrH both have good cleansing milk. My sister has oily skin and she use Clarins cleansing milk and it's not too oily...
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:27 pm      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:

sormuimui--a toner definitely helps make my skin feel more normal. i just worry about applying my serums because i am supposed to apply before toning. how would i deal with that?

What kind of serum do you use? From my knowledge I always believed serums were used AFTER toning as toners also help prepare the skin for better absorption of treatments.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:37 am      Reply with quote
i use the skinceuticals ferulic c + e and dhc royal jelly extract. both have directions saying to apply right after cleansing. i remember there was a discussion on this, i can't seem to find it regarding this, something about how some serums need to be absorbed immediately into the skin. but you're right sormuimui, some serums are used after toning. i know some companies recommend applying toner after a serum, but that just seems kinda silly to me.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:38 am      Reply with quote
i have skin like yours, skincareaddicted, and can't use the cleansing milks unless i use a gel after. every time i've used the very gentle way of cleaning only, i.e., cleansing milk only, i've broken out. *especially* in summer. and i've tried many of the top brands that are supposed sworn by here in france (according to the beauty magazines).

what really does seem to fly off the shelfs (at least in my neighborhood) is the cleansing waters, specifically Bioderma Crealine H20 sans parfum for sensitive skin. the stores seem to stock a huge amount and yet on any given day they are out. it's used like a toner, wiped off with cotton balls (removes all make up), and can be rinsed or not. i've been using it before a gel cleanser in the summer to remove makeup and SS. in the winter when my skin is drier i may try this *after* a milk cleanser and see if this is the magic combo for beautiful french skin.

i think TheresaL uses Crealine H20 as well. TheresaL -- are you using this after the cleansing cream?
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:00 am      Reply with quote
la vie en rose wrote:
i think TheresaL uses Crealine H20 as well. TheresaL -- are you using this after the cleansing cream?

I was using the Crealine after the cleansing cream and also after using my gel cleanser in the evening. Unfortunatly, I ran out of the Crealine and have to order more. In the US it is not available in the drugstores and must be bought online.

I don't feel that the Yonka Cleansing Cream leaves any residue that I need to remove. But I started using the Crealine to remove hard water deposits from my skin.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:01 pm      Reply with quote
la vie en rose--if i had to use a cleansing gel after cleansing cream or milk, i think i would stick to cleansing oil over the gel. the yonka cleansing milk does not remove my sunblock and makeup base completely. with cleansing oil, everything dissolves and is gone period. i hope the cleansing cream is better then the milk.

the bioderma crealine H20 sounds wonderful. haven't heard of cleansing waters, only cleansing oil. from the reviews i read on makeupalley on this product, seems like lots of sensitive skin people prefer it. and it is described as a water and oil combo, is that correct? do you know how the texture is difference than a cleansing oil?

TheresaL--how do you know hard water deposits are on your skin? i have only lived in california really (visited new orleans twice) but have never noticed a difference after my showers or cleaning my face.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:11 am      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted--i do use oil in the winter, but it just feels too gross in the summer. plus, are hot water goes off at a certain time and i tend to stay up later in the summer months. the Bioderma allows me to remove all my SS in lieu of hot water. Very Happy the Crealine is much less viscious than cleansing oil and does not need to be removed with water. it really is gorgeous stuff -- however you use it!

my skin is not sensitive per se, but i do use heavy actives and it can get cranky really fast if i'm not gentle to it -- especially in the cleansing phase. i'm also walking a tight-rope of not wanting to break-out yet also not overly drying my face, if that makes sense....

someone else can better answer the question on hard water, but chances are if you live in southern cal you have it. if you boil plain water, you can see a white build-up, a calcification, that is kind of a hallmark of that. all that crap also builds up on your skin and hair when you bathe.... when i lived in l.a., i used to wash my hair as often as possible at my friend's house -- she had an awesome shower filter. here, in paris, i just spritz my face with Avene thermal water after washing my face to try and counteract the hard water.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:27 pm      Reply with quote
la vie en rose--thanks for your responses, after my cleansing oil runs out, i am trying the cleansing water. i am excited. Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:32 pm      Reply with quote
I love Caudalie's cleansing milk. It leaves my skin so soft, and clean, it has never broken me out (and i am acne-prone).
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:19 pm      Reply with quote
caudalie--another line that has interests me for awhile! i tried their lip balm..thought it was only ok though, didn't seem to moisturize enough, but their skincare is very appealing....

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:47 pm      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:

TheresaL--how do you know hard water deposits are on your skin? i have only lived in california really (visited new orleans twice) but have never noticed a difference after my showers or cleaning my face.

When I wash my dishes and don't dry them right afterwards they have mineral deposits on them. I also can see them on my plants if I spray them with unfiltered water. I assume what is getting left on my dishes and plants is also getting left on my skin! Yuck! My skin also seems to improve when I am away from home. I guess part of this is the humidity but I have seen my skin improve when I am visiting dry climates too and I feel that the water has something to do with it.

BTW I am a total Cleansing Oil fan when it comes to removing makeup, etc. and even though I really like the Crealine I feel that it can't beat cleansing oils (just my preferrence!).
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:05 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |