Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Do any of you smokers out there want to quit?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
CompassRose
5% products discount

Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:05 am      Reply with quote
kls wrote:
Uh oh...this thread has become very quiet again, that tends not to be a good sign.

I've got a couple of questions:
Are there any smokers out there that wished they didn't smoke? And if yes, what holds you back from quitting?
Just curious.
I thought it might be interesting to start a dialogue on what people think about the quitting process & other smoking related topics. Anyone want to join in?

Well, I am trying, yet again. Two days in. Laughing Go me. But I had my Monday singing lesson last night, and the difference was already marked.

I think -- I hope -- that that might be the mover I really need. I love my singing lessons (which I only began a couple of months ago) and I really, really want to get good at it. Physical fitness did not really do the trick... I could run a 10K in a fairly respectable forty-something minutes and light up a Winston immediately afterwards. Rolling Eyes

I do wish I didn't smoke. Sometimes. It's expensive; I dislike the smell; I never smoke indoors (and my goodness, but that gets unpleasant in Canada in January). And I'm sure starting again six years ago after a ten-year quit is at least part of the reason I'm suddenly showing my age.

On the other hand, in a bizarre sort of way, smoking has always been part of my identity as an ah-tist. Yeah yeah, please, everyone point and laugh. It IS ridiculous. But still. The late nights, kept up only with cigarettes and insanely black coffee, the memories of long nicotine-fuelled discussions, smoke rings and ivory cigarette holders. Plus, I am shy, and smoking with other people breaks ice... while, conversely, smoking offers a good excuse to sneak out of crowded rooms and breathe alone outside.

I don't know.

37, and suddenly hitting the age wall... just last year I got carded, don't think it would happen now. Medium-fair combination skin, oilier in summer. Occasional isolated, but thus more prominent, breakouts. I react to most products, eventually.
kls
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:17 pm      Reply with quote
Wow! Shock We got a couple of newbies! Laughing
Just kidding....
Welcome CompassRose and hello again Cesce! wave
This is great news, sounds like you're both getting through the first couple of days really well!
It is a big decision to quit, because it involves commitment. However, it's up to you to determine what kind of journey it's going to be.
It is so cool that both of you have quit at the same time, you can have a "quit buddy" right here at EDS!

Cesce- you got through Carr's book ALREADY?? That was quick! It sounds like you have an excellent attitude for your quit, that will take you far! Don't lose sight of how precious your quit is, even in the early stages...it's something to be treasured & becomes worth more every day. You can be a real inspiration to your son & others,.......show 'em what you're made of & what they can do too! Very Happy

CompassRose- you said a lot of things that hit home for me-
-smoking in the winter up in Canada: oh yeah, I can relate to that! -40 + a windchill (exposed skin can freeze in under one minute)! That doesn't stop us smokers, nosiree! (Just makes us smoke our cigs a little faster Laughing)
- ah, the ah-tist thing, yep.....totally relate on that one too. I figure my best work was created around 3am after many hours of contemplating my work through squinted eyes & billows of smoke! Laughing (I haven't done anything since I quit, so I can't comment on the ratio between creativity vs nicotine Wink ). Sorry.

So, Cesce & Compass Rose- good luck to both of you, keep posted, drink lots of ice water & (hint, hint) download a free quit meter. They really help....you see the progress you make everyday, which can give you momentum to keep on keeping on. (I think that's an old Jerry Jeff Walker lyric that just popped into my head).

I found another site that some of you might be interested in. Check it out:
http://www.cognitivequitting.com/index.html

You girls rock! Check in tomorrow & let us know how you're doing. ok?

My quit meter says:
1m 2w 5d 11:10 smoke-free, 560 cigs not smoked, $200.26 saved, 1d 22:40 life saved

(oh lookie up there {arrow pointing up, if I had one}, I just saved enough money from not smoking to place an order from EDS with no shipping charges! Well, enough time spent here, I'M A GOING SHOPPING, SEE YA LATER!
Razz
MACrisis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:03 pm      Reply with quote
CompassRose and Cesce:

Welcome to the forum and congratulate both of you for your first step to smoke free journey.

It's very hard to kick the habit but it is do-able. Deep breathe is very, very helpful and remember to drink lots of water. Before long you'll wonder why you smoked and why you did not quit earlier. Question Question Question

This is my 16th year smoke free and I'm very happy and proud of myself. Feel free to PM me if you need to talk.

kls: You saved so much money from not smoking, are we going to have a party soon? Bad Grin Bad Grin Bad Grin

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:41 am      Reply with quote
MACrisis wrote:
kls: You saved so much money from not smoking, are we going to have a party soon? Bad Grin

Considering what celebrity I resemble, I think all my money is going to be spent here at EDS! Laughing
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=15917
(page 2)
kls
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:55 am      Reply with quote
Good morning Cesce & CompassRose!
How did yesterday go?
If you've refrained from having any cigarettes up to now, your body should be close to being nicotine-free! (They say it takes about 72 hours).

I hope you're both staying strong in your determination to quit, would love to hear how you're doing.
kls
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:37 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I don't know if this is a "proper" thing to do... but I'm going to give MYSELF a big pat on the back!
I just noticed that my quitmeter has passed 2 milestones! Very Happy
It says:
3m 11:26 smoke-free, 1,022 cigs not smoked, $365.47 saved, 3d 13:10 life saved

I have been smoke free for 3 months! Dancing Dancing Dancing
and I have NOT SMOKED over a 1000 cigarettes! I am very proud of myself right now, and considering the extra stress I have been under lately, this is a great achievement! Very Happy

I am so glad that I pledged N.O.P.E (not one puff ever) on July 24th of this year!

To everyone else out there that has quit...give yourself a pat on the back & a big hug....you earned it! Very Happy
MACrisis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:46 pm      Reply with quote
kls:

Congratulations!!! What are WE going to buy from the $$$ you saved???

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:12 am      Reply with quote
kls, you're really great ! congrats ! (you definitely deserve a huge pat on the back!)
Lifeplyr01
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:59 pm      Reply with quote
Congrats kls Doesn't it feel great not to have had a smoke!!!

I will celebrate 6 mos. of being smoke free on Oct 28th. Very Happy Very Happy I love the fact that I don't live in a prison anymore (cigarettes being prison that is) Shock

Way to go kls!!!!!
Dahli
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:45 pm      Reply with quote
I smoked for 35 years and quit 5 years ago after reading Carr's book. I was terrified I'd wind up like my mom who smokes all the time, eating, brushing her teeth etc.

Finished the book on a friday night and took 3 packs back to the store the next day for refund! The funniest thing ever - the clerk said it was the first time she'd seen that! LOL

Never wanted one after that and it was so easy. My husband, my sister, MIL and step mom all read it as well and quit. But my mom is afraid to read it since she knows that she too will quit and lose her 'false friend'. The fear is real, but the freedom is amazing! Good luck to everyone working to free themselves of the nicotine monster!!
skittles

Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:18 pm      Reply with quote
speaking of smoking....my boyfriend smokes, i think its gross and smelling it makes my stomach weak. I know that he is not a "true" smoker cause when he is with me he can go the whole day without having a ciggarette and not say anything about it. he smokes around his friends cause they do to. here is my thinking on that...i think that it is all just a mind game and that he isnt addicted, he just smokes cause he has it in his head that he is addicted. he says he wants to quit. i met him just over 2 months ago and he was trying to quit then, now that we have been together for those 2 months i see him giving no effort any more to stop.......i dont want to be with a smoker....any suggestions?
kls
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:36 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks everybody! Very Happy
Sorry for taking so long to respond, but I'm in the middle of a family emergency right now.

lin23- Thank you so much! I remember that you said you have never smoked, so I find it so sweet of you to offer support!Angel
Lifeplyr01- a day early, big congratulations to YOU! Wow, 6 months!! That is AWESOME!!
You're right, it does feel great to be free from that * spam alert *! Since we quit around the same time (ok, you've got twice as much time on me this month), I like to think of you as my "Ash Kickin" EDS buddy Laughing
Dahli- 5 years is awesome! I never read Carr's book, but I've heard it's excellent. It's amazing that it helped so many in your family to quit. You're right about how a person can be afraid of quitting because they feel they're going to lose a friend. I had the exact same feeling until I took an online quit smoking course. Thanks for sharing that funny little story! Who knew that cigarettes were refundable!
(Maybe you qualify for an entry in the Guinness Book!) Laughing Laughing Laughing
Skittles- IMO, a smoker will smoke until they want to quit. If you think that your boyfriend wants to quit, maybe you could get him Allen Carr's book, or have him go through this free online course: www.quitsmokingonline.com
If he wants to quit, those things might help. Good luck!

And last, but certainly not least...
MACrisis- Hmmmm...I have no idea what WE should do with MY money! Laughing Laughing
Between the two of us, I think we own every skincare product in existence! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Oh,...I just had an idea Idea
Let's use the money to pay someone to do all our "dirty work" so that we can go have some real MAC fun! Razz
Lifeplyr01
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks kls for the kudos Very Happy

Love the "Ash Kickin EDS Buddy" notion!!!!
Very Happy
kls
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:10 am      Reply with quote
I just read some very sad news....
Allan Carr has died from lung cancer.
He leaves behind a wonderful legacey of millions he helped quit smoking & that are alive today because of him.

---
4m 5d 1:10 smoke-free, 1,409 cigs not smoked, $503.86 saved, 4d 21:25 life saved
Dahli
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:25 am      Reply with quote
Wow, that is so sad - but I will always and forever be grateful to him for giving me the gift he did. Understanding it's 99% mental was key for me and his brilliant book gave me that...what an angel he was and now really is Angel
ejthomas
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:23 pm      Reply with quote
I've been a non-smoker for over 2 years now. I'd tried to give up approximately 15 times (?) but always ended up going back to them. I tried patches, gum, cold turkey. I'd always think to myself that one cigarette wouldn't hurt - I'd given it up and could do it again. So the cycle continued. I ended up giving it up successfully with a combination of nicotine gum (but that wasn't enough by itself) and telling myself one particular thing. And that was, that I could start smoking again any time I liked, and I would never beat myself up over it if I did. But I could never have 'just one cigarette' ever again. I told myself that if I had one cigarette, then I would have to fully re-adopt the habit, which was around 40 a day. And it really worked for me. I've not touched a cigarette since. So I'd suggest this little self-talk for anyone who falls into the 'I'll just have one' trap when trying to give up.
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:22 am      Reply with quote
I've been smoking for 8 years now and I smoke about 20 a day. I did give up once for nearly 8 months then I started again. Stupid me! I've always said I wanna give up, but really I think deep down I don't want it enough. I've noticed my skin has gotten so much worse than it used to be. I just seem to have aged so quickly! As a result, I spend lots of money on skincare when giving up smoking would really solve the problem a lot. But it isn't so easy!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:01 am      Reply with quote
BRAVO to all of you who quit smoking.
It is a major and difficult achievement, you all should be so proud.

There is also a guy in Boston who does some magic and people quit smoking. I have known several whom he had helped.

He is called "mad Russian", but the real name is Eugene Shubentzov. He is for real, the visit was $65.00 (years ago), so it was not a major deal.

Best of luck,
Lucy.

5% products discount

Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:21 am      Reply with quote
I've struggled all year with not smoking. I needed to quit - and refrain from smoking due to health reasons (bladder cancer - and several months later - breast cancer - fortunately both early stage).

I'd quit for a couple of months, then go for that "just one cigarette" for some reason, and then smoke for a few weeks, quit again for a couple of months...repeat. 3 months has always been my weak point. I only got past 3 months once , and then I had made it for 3 years.

I had my last cigarette on Oct 5th. I really hope this is it this time. I'm currently undergoing chemo, so that's a pretty good (albiet unfortunate) motivator. Rolling Eyes

I can name lots of things I hate about smoking/smoke - but I can totally relate to CaressRose when she said "Plus, I am shy, and smoking with other people breaks ice... while, conversely, smoking offers a good excuse to sneak out of crowded rooms and breathe alone outside."
That always lead me back to smoking! I just haven't socialized much this year due to my health issues. I'm concerned for when I start working again &/or go out.

Congrats to all who have quit!
And for anyone who's slipped: you know what they say..."If at first you don't succeed, try try again!"

--------------------------------
9 wks, 2 d, 5 hrs, 4 min, Smoke Free; Cigarettes not smoked 1,956 Money saved $635.70

41, mature dry skin, somewhat sensitive. Blue eyes, brown hair, fair to medium skin. Areas of concern: loss of elasticity & definition, sagging skin/jowls, neck, deep lip lines, broken capillaries on nose and cheeks, crepiness on eyelids. Less of a concern: photodamage, wrinkles around eyes and outer cheeks, darkness under eyes
kls
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:19 am      Reply with quote
Happy Holidays everyone!
With the 2007 quickly approaching, I'm curious to know if anyone plans on quitting as their New Year's resolution?
I plan to make a solemn pledge to myself that I will remain smoke-free for the year 2007. I feel that reinforcing my commitment will help keep me focused on my long term goal.

Time has certainly gone by fast this past year. My quit date seems so far back in the distance. And so do all the cravings & everything else associated with smoking.
I've noticed a big change (for the better Wink ) this past month and a half in my attitude & energy level. I seem more calm & can handle stressful situations better than I ever have in the past; I've lost all the weight that I gained (and more! Very Happy ) & feel ready to start an exercise program that I can stick to. It feels like my new attitude that I have acquired through my determination & commitment in my quit has made positive changes in other areas of my life too!

For anyone thinking of quitting, I hope that those of us that have can be an inspiration to you; it is doable....we're proof! Very Happy

Remember, quitting isn't a sacrifice....it's a gift.

---
5m 2d 3:13 smoke-free, 1,707 cigs not smoked, $610.42 saved, 5d 22:15 life saved
sharon24

Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:18 pm      Reply with quote
I will quit in the New Year.Last time I went cold turkey which almost killed me.I have ordered that Allen Carr book that get's great reviews and hopefully that will help.I like smoking but at the same time I hate it.I really wish I didn't start in the first place.Alot of people smoke in my family and I think that's going to be one of the hardest things.I hate that it has such a hold over me.I know that I don't need it yet I have to have it.I am sick of wasting good money on this and feeling like crap for it.Maybe I will go cold turkey again.I am supposed to go shopping tomorrow,so I won't buy anymore then.
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:04 pm      Reply with quote
I don't want to quit but I have to quit...

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:01 am      Reply with quote
Absolutely must quit for good! I've quit so many times I can't count, have used Smokeaway, nicotine lozenges and gum, hypnosis, subliminal tapes, everything. Everything worked, except the hypnosis.

This is a pathetic excuse, but my best friend/personal assistant smokes, and it's our little ritual. A few glasses of red wine, a few cigarettes. I just can't seem to break the habit of smoking with her!

Lordy, I'm just hacking and coughing and sounding horrible! Must quit, must quit, must quit!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:45 pm      Reply with quote
Hello ladies!
Just popped in to congratulate anyone that might have recently quit smoking. Keep up the good work, it's worth it! Very Happy
I just passed my 6 month milestone last week, feeling really good about that! My energy is back, I have lost all the weight that I initally gained & some more on top of that....and, I'm still losing! Very Happy
See you in 6 months! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

---
6m 1w 1d 10:44 smoke-free, 2,121 cigs not smoked, $758.47 saved, 1w 8:45 life saved
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:46 pm      Reply with quote
I quit October 1. Four months later I have gained 10 lbs., still have cravings. Bad Grin I know after trying to quit before I can't have just one cigarette.

I will never smoke again. Free at last. Dancing
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:46 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |