Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Do any of you smokers out there want to quit?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
jilllpa
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:34 pm      Reply with quote
luvmykitties,

I have had Allen Carr's book for about 5 years and have not read it.
When I bought it I started to read it and had a scary feeling, I knew that if I finished this book, I would be a non-smoker.
I smoke about 1/2 pack per day.
I tell myself that since I work out everyday, stay out of the sun and take care of my skin that I am an exception to smoking.
Wrong!!! I am so glad that I clicked on this subject and read all responses, and then saw your post.
I had forgotten about this book, and have read the reviews on Amazon, and will now make an attempt to read this book from cover to cover.

Thank's
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:37 pm      Reply with quote
jilllpa - do you know why you got the scary feeling when starting to read the book? I mean was it just gut feeling or something that you read that grabbed you?
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
Rileygirl, you've got me thinking, again, about my bad habit of smoking...

If anyone has read my posts regarding the sun and skin cancer, it's probably a surprise (or hypocritical) that I smoke. I've always been kind of like jillpa, thinking cos I eat well, work out, stay out of the sun, smoking a few cigarettes doesn't matter.

Have decided I'm going to follow your lead and give up on Monday, a new week. Will check back in and let you know how I'm going. And let us know how you are doing after Monday?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:15 pm      Reply with quote
Good luck appletini! I'll keep you all posted, and please do the same everyone who is quitting!
jilllpa
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:14 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl,

My scary feeling was knowing that if I finished reading the book I would be without my nicotine friend, Basic Light 100's soft pack.

Good Luck on your stab at this terrible * spam alert *.
janmills

Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:24 am      Reply with quote
Rileygirl,

I had to chuckle when I read you had Allen Carr's book for 5 years. I just picked it up this past week and started reading it. His suggestion is to not quit smoking until you finish the book. Having said that he goes on to say that some people will read only a sentence or a few sentences a day to prolong having to quit. It seems to be a great book. I quit many years ago for 3 years without any trouble at all, because no one told me it would be hard. This time I actually panic just thinking about trying to quit. Good luck!

Janice
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:40 am      Reply with quote
Thanks jilllpa. janmills - I think you mistook me for someone else, I just ordered the book! Day 1 is going ok. I am sucking on alot of lifesavers so far!
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:25 am      Reply with quote
24 hours done without smoking....but I suspect the first day is the easy part.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:38 pm      Reply with quote
Congrats appletini. I on the other had did horrible my first day (today). I have had a smoke (though it is a big drop down from my 40+). I felt like I was going to kill somebody and that is when I had 1. Now I begin all over again. I am not sure if I need a nicotine replacement or not, but I don't want to kill anyone!
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:13 pm      Reply with quote
40+? Wow, that's a lot, rileygirl.
I only smoke about 10 a day so I guess that should make it easier for me.

Well, it's more like a pack of 20 when I go out to a bar or party.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:29 pm      Reply with quote
yes, quite a bit appletini! I have been a heavy smoker for a LONG time! I will keep on trying, I am not giving up! Keep going appletini. 10 cigs a day you normally smoke? You definitely can do this!
kls
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:18 am      Reply with quote
May I join in? I've been thinking of quitting for a long time. Yesterday I had the last smoke from a pack & decided that was going to be it.
I've smoked for most of my life, quit several times, but always went back. The last time was the worst- I quit for 3 years (with absolutely no cheating), then suddenly I got such a unexpected craving for several days. I ended up buying a pack of smokes, thinking it would be just for fun & that I wouldn't smoke after those were gone. WRONG!! That was over 5 years ago. I can see that smoking that 1st cigarette was my biggest mistake.
I guess it's been so hard to quit again because I see how I failed after such a long time, and really wondering if I can do it again...it seems like such a long road.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:24 am      Reply with quote
Go for it kls! You may certainly "join in"! You can do it. This is going to be really tough, but we can all make it! We just need to take this 1 craving at a time and make it through just the next craving. Good luck. Very Happy
kls
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:47 am      Reply with quote
Thanks rileygirl! I think you're right- with the support of others we stand a better chance of winning this battle. I think the next few days are going to be tough for me, but I'm going to try my best. One thing I'm going to do is eat & drink healthy foods to offset the cravings. A smoke never sounds as good after a piece of fruit/glass of juice, etc, than it does with coffee, wine and those kinds of things.
Good luck to everyone today...and be good...cuz you're going to have to report back on how well you did!
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:27 am      Reply with quote
So far so good! I'm working really long hours at the moment and guessing I should be fine until Saturday night ... when I finish all my work and go out for a few glasses of wine, or hopefully champagne Very Happy

That's the real problem for me. The cigs go so well with alcohol. I read somewhere once that something in cigarettes causes alcohol to be absorbed faster, don't know if this is true??

Good luck riley and kls. By the way, kls, I think giving up cigarettes, wine and coffee all at once constitutes cruel and unusual punishment!

Laughing
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:26 am      Reply with quote
Good Luck everyone! I gave up 1 1/2 yrs ago after reading the Allen Carr book, he really does make some good points and makes you think differently about smoking.
My biggest challenge was the first few times I drank, it felt very strange to not have a smoke in my hand but now i can drink and dont give it a thought Very Happy
kls
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:46 am      Reply with quote
appletini wrote:

By the way, kls, I think giving up cigarettes, wine and coffee all at once constitutes cruel and unusual punishment! Laughing

I agree! Laughing But I figure if I'm going to get real bitchy in the next little while, I might as well do a good job at it!
Glad to hear you made it through yesterday, I did too, although by evening I was starting to get cranky. Really had a craving for a glass (or 2) of wine with a smoke, but settled on bottled water & feeling sorry for myself Sad .
It's so silly: when I smoke, all I want to do is quit. Then when I quit, I feel like I'm depriving myself of something I really enjoy. Confused I guess that's just the * spam alert * rearing its ugly head trying to get back in control. You'll probably think this is rather bizarre, but I try to visualize my nicotine craving as some kind of character, which then makes it easier to say "no" to! Laughing I tell it "no, I won't drive you to the store to buy smokes, no I won't walk you to the store to get them either, and if I'm at the store I'm not going to give you any money"! Laughing Laughing I know that sounds really silly, but it does seem to help, plus I can make fun of my situation & have a good laugh!

Riley...oh rileygirl...we haven't heard from you today, how's it going for you??
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:15 am      Reply with quote
kls - Not too good! I have a major throbbing headache so I am trying to stay off the computer, as looking at the screen makes me feel very sick (I feel like I have a migraine). I am embarrassed as you guys are doing so good and I smoked 1 cig on my 1st "quit day", and 1 yesterday. None so far today, which could explain my major migraine.
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:33 am      Reply with quote
Sorry to hear about your migraine, riley. It must be tough for you, giving up from 40 per day. My 10 per day doesn't even compare.

Was in the 7/11 today and looked longingly at my cigarettes in their lovely little pink packet but managed to leave without them.

I've been rewarding myself with an extra glass (or two) of wine before i go to bed. It's not the same without the ciggies...then again you can taste the wine better which means I'll have to be buying more expensive wine Very Happy
kls
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:39 am      Reply with quote
Rileygirl- sorry to hear about your headache, do you think it was brought on by the stress of quitting??
I think you're doing GREAT!! Considering that you smoke about 40 a day, and then only having 1, you should be very proud of yourself. You've cut back 39 a day, I'd say you deserve a hero bisquit for that!! When you're ready, you have just one more to go...take your time.
I reread all of the posts to get a better idea of what each one of us will be going through. You said that DH smokes & isn't thinking about quitting yet. Does he smoke in the house, and if so, would he be willing to only smoke outside? I have found in the past, having a safe haven from cigarettes really helps in the initial stages of quitting. (I refrained from going to the bars for months after quitting the last time).
I wish all of us the strength & humor to get through today with the least amount of damage! Laughing
kls
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:12 am      Reply with quote
Ok ladies, it's day 4...how's everyone doing??

Well, so much for my idea of consuming only healthy foods--I got half pinned last night, but...I didn't cave into my cravings (and I had several)! So far I'm doing good, haven't had a smoke since Monday morning.

Rileygirl- how are you feeling today? Has your headache subsided? (I've got one this morning, but it has nothing to do with nicotine! Wink )
Please let us know how you're doing, we're all in this together, right?
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:42 am      Reply with quote
kls, I think i'm in a different time zone as it's after midnight Thursday night here.

And..uh oh.. I had two cigarettes tonight. Shouldnt have done it, I know, but I'm still feeling pretty pleased at only 2 in four days.

I think a reward system might work for me. Am going to get myself a 1 and 1/2 hour thai massage on Monday if i get through the weekend smoke-free. Will just keep thinking, which do i want, the cigarette or the massage? And I REALLY like thai massage Very Happy
kls
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:07 am      Reply with quote
appletini wrote:

I think a reward system might work for me.

I think I live by the "reward" system! That's probably what got me hooked on smoking again: I would always use a cig as a reward for doing some chore or job I wasn't looking forward to, now I have to change all that.
Congratulations on doing so well this week! Very Happy
Has it been a tough go? For me, certain times just breeze by without any thoughts of smoking, and then of course the cravings sneak in & make some of the moments quite nerve-racking. Are you going to have a tougher time getting through the weekend? It will be for me. My plan is to keep busy so that I keep my mind off it. Keep up the good work, you're doing great!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:29 am      Reply with quote
Hi guys. I am feeling better today. Still have a dull headache, but better. Still having 1 cig a day, but you know what, I am proud of myself for cutting down so much. I am ok if I continue with 1 a day for a while to get myself adjusted. Sounds like everyone else is doing well. I can't believe you guys don't have any withdrawal symptoms (maybe because I smoked way more?) Good luck to everyone. Work is picking up and I will be very busy, which is a good thing! See you tomorrow!
sunshynebug
5% products discount

Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:02 pm      Reply with quote
Hey rileygirl

be careful about that (i will only smoke one a day. that is exactly what i did and i am back to a pack. i also went thru the migrains i found out i couldn't go cold turkey so i got the patches and they do work. so i am starting thme tomorrow. good luck Very Happy
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:50 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |