Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Do any of you smokers out there want to quit?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
murray28
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:21 pm      Reply with quote
Well I guess I should tell my story and hopefully encourage someone to put down the pack for good ...

I've been smoking for over ten years. I quit about three months ago ... AND I DIDN'T GAIN A POUND. In fact, I LOST weight.

I know it's superficial to say and be concerned with, and everyone wants to quit smoking for their general health, yada yada ... but ladies, let's admit it: there is NO TIME that you want a cigarette MORE than when you're stressed, feeling bloated and not very attractive.

I just wanted to share this as a reminder that NOT EVERYONE GAINS WEIGHT (if that is, in fact, a concern or excuse that you're using). Of the people who DO gain weight, the average weight gain is 5-8 pounds (I think I got that statistic from one of the US gov't health websites). I guess I'm one of the "lucky" ones in that regard - and I also think this forum had something to do with it (it's nice to be "involved" in something, and I mean mostly mentally engaged by that, to the point where I don't think about smoking OR eating).

And for those that are terrified of those possible (on average) 5 pounds, I say to you: Shoot - I can gain 5 pounds in water retention OVERNIGHT just from my period! 5 pounds isn't so bad ... so just try it. Maybe you'll find out you're one of the "lucky ones" too!
bren21
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:24 am      Reply with quote
My story....failed attempt after failed attempt and I've been smoking since I was 15/16. I don't know what keeps me hanging on to these damn things but I spend all this money on skin care products to try and save the face, I eat like a health nut, exercise, take my supplements and smoke a pack every day/day and a half.

Well I've decided to put them down again today...Saturday, March 13 2010 and this is going to be my last time I quit. I have vowed not to pick these suckers up again and break this hold they have over me....and let me tell you, it would be wonderful to be free of these chains that are ruining my skin and my health. Luckily, I have good genes and still look younger than my age, but I still see little things they are doing to my face and I don't want to be a smoker when I hit my 40th birthday in December of this year...

Lets keep this thread going...I need all the support I can get with this!! Laughing It would also be nice if someone who smokes would join me in this quitting...kind of a quit partner!!! Any takers?? Very Happy Lets kick this habit in the ass Bad Grin

Brenda's a quitter 3/13/10.....

Female: 42...Fair/Dry...Brown Hair/Green Eyes...Using: Born Again MSM Cream...Country Divine Emu Serum...Juvederm...Botox...Retin-A .05%...Easy Eye Solutions...Started 2/9/12 with Skin Bio Skin Signals Cream and TTT, Spot treating with TriRed
bren21
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:49 am      Reply with quote
Well folks....24 hours and counting Very Happy

Female: 42...Fair/Dry...Brown Hair/Green Eyes...Using: Born Again MSM Cream...Country Divine Emu Serum...Juvederm...Botox...Retin-A .05%...Easy Eye Solutions...Started 2/9/12 with Skin Bio Skin Signals Cream and TTT, Spot treating with TriRed
tessera
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:14 am      Reply with quote
bren21 wrote:
Well folks....24 hours and counting Very Happy

You go, girl! I quit in May of 1998, after smoking 25 years, and it's one of the best things I've ever done. I slept as much as possible the first week, and avoided bars and smoking friends the first month or so. I even switched from coffee to tea for a while to get rid of one of my smoking triggers. And hypnosis was helpful. I got free of those demon ciggies (they pretend to be your friend, but they're not) and you can too. Hang in there! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:15 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the encouragement! I've smoked many years too...like 23. I can't believe I've smoked that long.

My sis mentioned napping as well...any time she wanted a ciggie she would go to sleep, it seemed to work for her too for the first few weeks...

I am also thinking of switching to tea for a spell as coffee is a big one for me!

30 hours smoke free and counting!

ishay
5% products discount

Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm      Reply with quote
This thread is like a group support! I love it! Smile
bren21
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:48 pm      Reply with quote
Oh lord today was hard, but it's 6:40pm and no cigarette...almost gone 2 full days without one...

Will say I'm a bit irritable at the moment Mad....but still hangin in there...had to post something before I go the store and buy some! No worries though, I will fight it....and day 3 is always as hard as hell ugh Rolling Eyes

So please forgive me ladies and gents if I just post random nonsense on here. I think it's all part of the process and I feel a better knowing I have some place to go to just ramble when I really get that urge to fall off the wagon.....and believe me, that jump is looking pretty damn good right now! Laughing

Songbird
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:47 pm      Reply with quote
Ladies,

First off I just want to say "Congratulations" to all of you for even *trying* to quit smoking. I personally have never smoked, but I lost my precious husband most likely because he did. I wanted to share something my pastor said in church this morning. He said as much as you want to, you cannot just simply stop a bad habit. You have to replace it. Some people chew gum, some eat, some sleep as tessera said, etc. You have to find something that will take the place of those cigs and preferable something healthy. Everytime you want to smoke, do __________ instead. There is something for each of you, I know it and I pray that you all find what works for you.

P.S. I'm not trying to make light of this. Being a non-smoker I'm sure you could think that, but I've been around smokers all my life and seen their struggles to quit. I wish you all the best. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:31 am      Reply with quote
Ok...mid-way through day 3 and still hangin in there! This morning was a tough one. I keep looking at my face in the mirror saying I am doing the right thing...if not for my damn health do it for the face...

Good advice Songbird...and thanks for the support... Smile

rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:12 pm      Reply with quote
bren21 wrote:
Ok...mid-way through day 3 and still hangin in there! This morning was a tough one. I keep looking at my face in the mirror saying I am doing the right thing...if not for my damn health do it for the face...

You go girl!! You are doing great!! Very Happy

Are you using anything to help, bren like patches, etc., or just cold turkey?
tessera
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:16 pm      Reply with quote
bren21 wrote:

And the smell! Shock No one wants to mention it, but you've probably been smelling like the bottom of a dirty old ashtray (at least, that was the case for me), no matter how good your personal hygiene. Did you know dermatologists can just look at your skin and tell if you're a smoker? (Except for Kassy. Very Happy ) I dimly recall that most of the nicotine is out of your system in 3 days; don't know for sure if that's true, but it seemed to get easier after that point. Whenever I felt the urge for a cigarette, I would snap a rubberband against my wrist and take a really deep breath. Hang in there, you're doing great!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:39 pm      Reply with quote
I'm not using anything Riley...cold turkey Very Happy and I made it through day 3!! Tomorrow morning at 6am I will be 72 hours without a ciggie....

It was really hard today...there were 3 instances throughout the day where I almost stopped and bought a pack. I tell ya, it was a terrible anxious feeling for me...almost like I was crawling out of my skin so-to-speak (not to sound like I am insane or anything Laughing) but it is awful to think what a hold these cigarettes have on you...I even looked in my car ashtray hoping there was a butt long enough to smoke!Rolling Eyes ugh, have I been reduced to something as low as that? Thank goodness nothing was in there and I came to my senses...

For sure I smelled horrible...I have noticed the stench in my car, on my coat, it has also permeated my bag I take to work every day...I really think I will have to throw these things out and do a thorough cleaning of my car...

Anyway, day 3 is almost over...I hope this gets at least a little easier....

Mishey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:19 pm      Reply with quote
Bren for me it was about 3 1/2 weeks, then the cravings subsided SUBSTANTIALLY.

Everytime I wanted a cig I'd have a tic tac. Went through sooo many boxes of tic tacs I can tell ya. But they're only 1 calorie each Smile

You can do it!!!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:31 pm      Reply with quote
I think those first 3 days are the hardest, I used to say I got the "Gorillas" just felt so pissy! One trick I used, but I am a veggie lover was I kept carrot and celery sticks to munch on all the time. I also chewed sugarless gum like mad! You can do it! I know it's really tough but keep telling yourself you are tougher than that stupid little white stick. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:08 pm      Reply with quote
tessera wrote:
bren21 wrote:

And the smell! Shock No one wants to mention it, but you've probably been smelling like the bottom of a dirty old ashtray (at least, that was the case for me), no matter how good your personal hygiene. Did you know dermatologists can just look at your skin and tell if you're a smoker? (Except for Kassy. Very Happy ) I dimly recall that most of the nicotine is out of your system in 3 days; don't know for sure if that's true, but it seemed to get easier after that point. Whenever I felt the urge for a cigarette, I would snap a rubberband against my wrist and take a really deep breath. Hang in there, you're doing great!

We can tell in dentistry too. The gums always tell the story. You'll have waaay better gums, whiter teeth, fresher bresh.

I was never a smoker but seen many through the quitting process.
I've heard it is harder than quitting heroin so be proud of your almost three days in. Your body is already healing too.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:53 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:

We can tell in dentistry too. The gums always tell the story. You'll have waaay better gums, whiter teeth, fresher bresh.

Sis, do the gums repair themselves after a person stops smoking? I have heard that from my dentist, but never asked him what happens when a person quits.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:10 pm      Reply with quote
bren21 wrote:
Anyway, day 3 is almost over...I hope this gets at least a little easier....

I'm rooting for ya Bren, and here's a little happy dance;

Image ImageImageImage

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:33 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
sister sweets wrote:

Sis, do the gums repair themselves after a person stops smoking? I have heard that from my dentist, but never asked him what happens when a person quits.

They gums don't repair but stopping can cease the continued damage. You could maybe get some collagen fibers back (decreasing pocket depth - but this would be minimal). Best bet is really good homecare (that Power brush and floss!) to maintain the health.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:14 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:

They gums don't repair but stopping can cease the continued damage. You could maybe get some collagen fibers back (decreasing pocket depth - but this would be minimal). Best bet is really good homecare (that Power brush and floss!) to maintain the health.

Thank you, Sis. Sorry off topic for just a quick second, but Sis, which brush do you recommend? I have one of those sonic toothbrushes (I think it is the Oral B) and I am not really impressed with mine so would like to upgrade to something better.
bren21
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:35 am      Reply with quote
Thanks so much for the support...this crap is hard! Sad
I made it til 6:30pm of day four and broke down with a friend of mine and had 2 over chat and a glass of wine....argh!!! But I am determined not to step it up and am back on the wagon...I see now that alcohol is not going to be something I can partake of for a while...Which isn't really an issue as I don't drink all that often. It's just when I do, the ciggie thoughts in me come out....alright, a slight setback, but back at it.... Smile

rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:17 am      Reply with quote
bren21 wrote:
Thanks so much for the support...this crap is hard! Sad
I made it til 6:30pm of day four and broke down with a friend of mine and had 2 over chat and a glass of wine....argh!!! But I am determined not to step it up and am back on the wagon...I see now that alcohol is not going to be something I can partake of for a while...Which isn't really an issue as I don't drink all that often. It's just when I do, the ciggie thoughts in me come out....alright, a slight setback, but back at it.... Smile

I think you are doing GREAT, bren! You have the right attitude. You can do it!! (this from someone who is not even trying yet!) Very Happy
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:43 pm      Reply with quote
Riley - I really like Sonicare (Philips) - they have a power brush out that has a UV light compartment to sanitize the brush heads. Also the brush heads are smaller - cheaper to replace and the handle is very nice. I find it effective and prefer it to the Braun Oral B powerbrush Both are good choices though - far superior than manual. I have both.
I know this is off-topic but if you can let me know why you don't like the one you have and I can help you further

rileygirl wrote:
sister sweets wrote:

Thank you, Sis. Sorry off topic for just a quick second, but Sis, which brush do you recommend? I have one of those sonic toothbrushes (I think it is the Oral B) and I am not really impressed with mine so would like to upgrade to something better.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:47 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
Riley - I really like Sonicare (Philips) - they have a power brush out that has a UV light compartment to sanitize the brush heads. Also the brush heads are smaller - cheaper to replace and the handle is very nice. I find it effective and prefer it to the Braun Oral B powerbrush Both are good choices though - far superior than manual. I have both.
I know this is off-topic but if you can let me know why you don't like the one you have and I can help you further

Thanks for the recommendation, Sis. I feel like a lot of the time the Oral B is not cleaning my teeth well? I always brush for the 2 minutes that are timed, but I usually go longer than that as it just feels like the brush is not getting my teeth clean!! (Sorry, I am really not sure how else to say it!)
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:03 pm      Reply with quote
Hmmm - Riley - As you know, the power brush is superior to manual and two minutes is a good brush time for a power. One thought I have is the brush heads on the power loose effectiveness over time even if the bristles look okay, they don't work as well. Maybe you need a brand new brush head. Or maybe your handle isn't working like it used to (less mojo!).

Have you ever tried brushing with bakingsoda/peroxide made into a little paste - this is a good pick me up and may give you a cleaner feel. I don't do it all the time but sometimes. Also brushing with an aloe pre brush might help. (I bought the one I use at WalMart) This seems to decrease the adsorption of the plaque to the tooth structure.

If I come up with more thoughts I'll send you a pm so I don't keep hijacking the thread.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:35 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks so much, Sis. I will give your recommendations a try! Sorry everyone to have highjacked the thread for a little bit!
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:26 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |