Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Do any of you smokers out there want to quit?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:14 am      Reply with quote
marnie, what I mean(and didnt do a good job of explaining) is that I enjoy the ritual of smoking, like with a morning cup of coffee etc. That book sounds interesting, Ill check it out when I go to the library this weekend, Thanks! Very Happy

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
kls
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:37 am      Reply with quote
vonstella wrote:
I didnt mean to come across as a having a lazy attitude, I more so meant I set a time table for myself so now I have to stick to it!

I guess I mistook the meaning of your message, sorry.
So, have you set a quit date yet?
Lifeplyr01
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:44 am      Reply with quote
kls and anyone else wanting to know how I quit please read this thread. You'll have to scroll down to my last entry.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=7431&start=200

Not very fun, but I did get something very positive out of this horrible, ongoing experience--I"M SMOKE FREE! Very Happy
kls
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:16 am      Reply with quote
Lifeplyr01 wrote:
kls and anyone else wanting to know how I quit please read this thread.

I just read the thread you referred to...well, that's one way to quit, don't think I would want to do it that way! Laughing I'm so glad that you're ok, it must have been quite a scare.
I remember reading that thread on Day 5 of my quit. It was Lassie1234's entry at the top of the page that got me through that horrible day! ILMAO reading her post, it was like we were having the same kind of day! I must have read it over 10 times that afternoon. I pm'd her the next week & thanked her for helping me get through Hellday. I love her wicked sense of humor!
I think that online course I was talking about is similar to Allan Carr's book, at least that's what some others have said.
So good to hear from you, keep in touch! And maybe, just maybe...we can get some others to join in (and quit) Wink
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:29 am      Reply with quote
Checking in to this thread for the first time in weeks, as I've been avoiding it in embarrassment after my lame attempt to quit smoking which only lasted 3 days. Ahhh!!

Congrats to kls for doing so well. You seem to have a very positive attitude and I have no doubt you will continue to remain smoke-free.

I really think my biggest problem is I always want a cig with a glass of wine or champagne, and I like my champagne! Well, I do have a new "quit date" lined up, but I won't get into it here just yet, to avoid further public humiliation Embarassed Embarassed
kls
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:03 pm      Reply with quote
appletini wrote:
I really think my biggest problem is I always want a cig with a glass of wine or champagne, and I like my champagne!

Hi appletini, so good to see you again! Very Happy
I always had a problem with wanting a smoke when I drank, but for whatever reason, this time I don't.
I like my wine & love my champagne! Wanna party? Laughing
Just think of last time as a trial run, this next quit is going to be the one that counts!
I hope to hear about your new quit date, keep us posted, ok?
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
kls wrote:
vonstella wrote:
I didnt mean to come across as a having a lazy attitude, I more so meant I set a time table for myself so now I have to stick to it!

I guess I mistook the meaning of your message, sorry.

Actually I have, tomorrow morning Neutral , of course I had to pick a weekend when the hubby will be home to stress me out Laughing. I will keep you posted.

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
smqueen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
ive been yoyo quitting for the last 3 years.. everytime i thought i quit for good i seem to come running back to the cigs. what made me really quit for good was for medical reasons or rather taking bcp. but now that i have gone off bcp i find myself stealing a couple drags here and there whenever i am out.. ESPECIALLY when it involves drinking!
Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:20 pm      Reply with quote
Ahh... I still want one when I drink. Guess I always will.
kls
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:56 pm      Reply with quote
Tosca wrote:
Ahh... I still want one when I drink. Guess I always will.

Yeah, that may be true...but think of it this way: You'll have more years to enjoy your champagne! Laughing
kls
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:10 pm      Reply with quote
vonstella wrote:
kls wrote:

Actually I have, tomorrow morning Neutral , of course I had to pick a weekend when the hubby will be home to stress me out Laughing. I will keep you posted.

That's great!
In case you don't have this in your "favorites" yet: http://www.stupidfactoryonline.com/index.php?mode=DLG
I think it was Tiger Tim that gave out this link. (Click on the "throw rocks at boys" video game & relieve some stress!)
You might need it tomorrow if your hubby drives you nuts. I got real good at it in my first week! Wink Laughing
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:52 pm      Reply with quote
My poor sister has been addicted since high school. We're now in our 30's. It is so cruelly addictive.
kls
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:29 pm      Reply with quote
smqueen wrote:
ive been yoyo quitting for the last 3 years.. i find myself stealing a couple drags here and there whenever i am out.. ESPECIALLY when it involves drinking!

Hi smqueen-
please be careful "stealing a couple of drags here and there," that's how so many people find themselves back into being a full-blown smoker. I know I'm that way, and the only thing I can do to prevent that is to never have another puff again. Never. Ever. Period.

I read something very interesting last week about the link between stress, alcohol & smoking. It said that nicotine is alkaline. Stress & alcohol make our system more acidic. Because of this, stress & alcohol neutralize the alkaline effect of the nicotine & that's why we get more of a "craving" for a smoke. It's not that we are going to "enjoy" a cigarette more when we have a drink, or it's going to "help or calm" us through a bad situation, in reality it's the nicotine levels that suddenly plummet & want to be replenished. Those "cravings" are the body & mind's way of demanding you to feed your * spam alert * for nicotine.
The good news is, it only takes 72 hours (3 days) to clear your body of nicotine. The rest is basically physlogical, (that's the hard part for most of us)!
triry
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:05 pm      Reply with quote
My friend has asthma and he smokes about a pack a day. This is a really terrible * spam alert *.
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:08 pm      Reply with quote
I haven't time to read the whole thread so I apologise if this has been said.
My BIL was a smoker and he had hypnotherapy.
It worked wonders for him.
You have to want to give up 100% though for it to work.
kls
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:05 am      Reply with quote
Vonstella, how did it go for you yesterday?? Are you still hanging in there? I didn't see any posts yesterday, maybe you were too busy throwing rocks!! Laughing

I read where Monday is the most popular day to quit. Is tomorrw anyone's quit date?

Quit meters are a cool way to keep track of your progress. Just google "quit meters" & you'll find free downloads. Here's mine:
1m 3d 2:03 smoke-free, 375 cigs not smoked, $134.10 saved, 1d 7:15 life saved
kls
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:13 am      Reply with quote
Uh oh...this thread has become very quiet again, that tends not to be a good sign.

I've got a couple of questions:
Are there any smokers out there that wished they didn't smoke? And if yes, what holds you back from quitting?
Just curious.
I thought it might be interesting to start a dialogue on what people think about the quitting process & other smoking related topics. Anyone want to join in?

Read an interesting article yesterday. It says that cigarette companies in the U.S. have increased nicotine content by 10% in the last 6 years. Scarey, isn't it?

---
1m 1w 1d 0:03 smoke-free, 429 cigs not smoked, $153.41 saved, 1d 11:45 life saved
unsassy
5% products discount

Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:57 pm      Reply with quote
Oh I know KLS, I saw that story that cigarette manufacturers have upped the percentage of nicotine too. Slimy weasels! I heard 10% was the average for all brands, the most popular kinds actually had rises of 20%. This in the last 6 years. I feel so bad for smokers trying to quit with an even stronger nicotine hold now than before.
kls
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:41 am      Reply with quote
Here's an interesting blog on quitting:

http://www.ciggyfree.com/cigblog/
kls
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:36 am      Reply with quote
Here's an article by Terry Martin on the topic of developing the will to quit smoking:
http://quitsmoking.about.com/od/preparetoquit/a/commit_to_quit.htm

For anyone that is thinking about quitting, this site is great!
It has tons of information on how to help you quit & stay quit.
I found that educating myself on all the aspects of smoking has really helped me quit smoking.

Today marks 6 weeks that I've been smoke-free!
Already I've noticed improvements in my health, and I'm sure I'll be seeing more as the months go by. Smile

It's not too early to start thinking about your New Year's resolutions for 2007. Is quitting going to be on the list??
If the answer is yes, why not start putting some of the wheels in motion NOW, so that when Jan 1st rolls around you can say with confidence "I will not smoke in 2007."
Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:43 am      Reply with quote
You're definitely on the down-side, kls! Once you realize you feel better, you get really happy about being free and feeling good! You also start wondering how you ever could've smoked to start with. Did your chest hurt really bad the first week or so? I seem to remember mine did. - Like I'd been breathing too deep and made it sore. I guess air was actually getting into my lungs, and they weren't used to that. Neutral
kls
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:27 am      Reply with quote
I never noticed that my chest hurt after I quit, but I do notice that I breathe better.

When I use to smoke, I'd wake up coughing in the middle of the night & also I started to cough when I laughed. Then one day, about a few weeks into my quit, I realized that I don't cough anymore! Very Happy I think my voice sounds better too!

For anyone thinking of quitting, here's another link:
http://quitsmoking.about.com/
Cesce
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:04 am      Reply with quote
When I read this thread, I remembered my ex-husband telling me a couple of years ago that a book had stopped him smoking. I asked him yesterday if it was Allen Carr's book and it was. My ex is still a non-smoker. So I'm going to get the book in the next couple of days and will let you know how I get on. My husband, father (who lives with us) and best friends all smoke, so it certainly would be hard for me to stop with willpower alone. However, my 18-year-old son does, too, and I've extracted a promise from him that if I stop, then he will read the book and stop too. Wish me luck.
kls
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:45 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Cesce & welcome!
I've heard so many good things about Carr's book. I took an online course that is similar to his approach, and it has made all the difference how how I think about smoking.
That's great that your son might give it a try too. Does your husband & father support your decision?
Keep posted, would love to hear how you're doing. If you need any advice or support, please don't hesitate to ask. We got people here that just quit (like myself) all the way up to 16 years being smoke-free (way to go MACrisis Very Happy )

One thing I read is that ice water is great for cravings....plus good for the skin!
Cesce
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:36 am      Reply with quote
Well, I got the book and read it carefully and timed it so I had my last cigarette at night so my body had all night to get a bit used to being nicotine free. Strange thing, that book. As I was reading it I was thinking, "well, this isn't going to help me stop". When I got to the end, I thought, "oh well, at least I gave it a go". But I then decided not to reach for a cigarette. And I still haven't, although it's very early days. I have thought about cigarettes occasionally but then I think to myself:- I don't really want one. What I really want is to not have one ever again. I only think I want one because I'm addicted to nicotine. I'll keep you posted. Wish me luck!
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:09 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |