Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Do any of you smokers out there want to quit?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Liza7

Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:52 pm      Reply with quote
Hello Ladies,
My name is Liza and I'm a new member. You'll have to excuse me as I am new at all this. I found this sight by accident. Surprised I've been reading some of the messages and feel that this is a great site with everybody supporting each other even though you do not know each other personally. I am looking forward to reading all the messages posted. This is an awesome site and I'm glad I stumbled upon it. Razz

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:34 am      Reply with quote
It's 1:30 pm and I haven't had 1 cigarette today. I was at 5 a day and decided that why even bother. Today is Ash Wednesday...so lets see how I do. Wish me luck...I'm still on the Chantix and it does work, however, not for the physical want. I think I need to take up crocheting again and when I think I want one, pick up the crochet needle. Although that doesn't do me a bit of good at work...lol.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
5 smoke free days......The longest I've ever lasted in 40 years of smoking.

Had the scare of my life. Ambulance to the hospital, 3 night stay, cardiac cath + every other test. Got home friday with diagnosis of Coronary Vasospasm. I still feel as if a gorilla is sitting on my chest. I'm scheduled for a respiratory workup next week..

If anybody out there is reading this and thinking about quitting, please don't wait like I did. Nothing good comes from smoking, and the end result is usually the same..

Even with everything I went through, the * spam alert * is so strong, that I still want to smoke. I know it sounds sick, but it's the nature of the beast when your addicted to these damn things..

I pray that it will get easier as each week passes..Cold turkey is tuff after 40 years!

Kassy

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Lifeplyr01
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:37 pm      Reply with quote
OMG Kassy...I'm so glad you are ok Exclamation Exclamation

I know this sounds weird..but even though I'm sorry you had to endure the scare of your life (more than likely), I am so glad you chose to stop smoking. This is a great example of "something good coming out of something bad". You will prevail, just take it one day at a time. Smile

I too faced a similar experience in 2006..cardiac issues..I quit cold turkey as well. It will be 2 years this April that I quit.
I am so proud of this accomplishment!!

Keep going girl...the withdrawls will get less...and alot of it is mind over matter. You go girl!!! Very Happy Very Happy

Lisa

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:02 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks so much for the encouraging words Lisa, you have no idea how much it helps.

At this point I'm not sure if the tightness in my chest is withdrawal, a lung issue, or stress. Do you remember anything similar when you quit? I'm curious, since the circumstances seem quite similar..

Good for you coming up on your 2 year anniversary. . That's wonderful!

K

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Lifeplyr01
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:39 pm      Reply with quote
You're so very welcome Kassy Smile

When I had my heart issues I was a wreck..literally. I was so consumed with worry that I couldn't smoke. Quite frankly I was worried I was going to die and feared smoking would make things worse. In fact I ended up in the ER after smoking a cig (long story). To answer your question about the chest heaviness. I did have a tight feeling which of course made me worry even more at times. I had a thorough work up and was not having a heart attack, etc. So in my case it was totally due to stress/nerves. Have you mentioned the heaviness to your doctor?? If you have and everything is ok I would suspect it is stress that is causing this feeling. I found deep breathing to be helpful and also stretching my upper torso/chest area. I smoked for a long time, 21 years straight...please remember that you can CONTINUE to be a non-smoker. I feel so much better now..I don't cough, I don't smell (I was always so self conscious about this) and I don't feel majorily guilty for spending $$ on the cigs. Best of all I don't feel like a slave to cigarettes anymore...Freedom at last!! Hang in there girl!!!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:06 pm      Reply with quote
I'm hangin' in there Lisa. One week tomorrow! It's amazing that even the fear of being sick, doesn't take away the desire to smoke..

* spam alert * sucks.. Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall

Kassy

DLI
5% products discount

Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:51 pm      Reply with quote
I have one question??? for those of you smart woman, who have bitten the bullet have you gained any weight????? I have quite 3 time once for 5 yrs and yiks started again.

Has anyone tried hypnosis?

Thanks for the input

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:41 pm      Reply with quote
Jeeeez, today is 1 week of not smoking, and all I'm doing is eating everything in sight. I was hoping it was only till I got over the rough spots....ha!

Does it ever get easier? I can't imagine going through life wanting a cigarette all the time. Talk about stress... Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall

Lifeplyr01
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:05 pm      Reply with quote
DLI wrote:
I have one question??? for those of you smart woman, who have bitten the bullet have you gained any weight????? I have quite 3 time once for 5 yrs and yiks started again.

Thanks for the input

Yes I gained weight...6 pounds. Not enough to feel terrible about it, but enough to fill uncomfortable at first. I do hope you can manage to quit again... 5 years is such a milestone. You've got our support here!! I have not tried hypnosis other than a CD I got online through Dr. Andrew Weil's website. Anything is worth a shot when you're WILLING to quit!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:11 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Jeeeez, today is 1 week of not smoking, and all I'm doing is eating everything in sight. I was hoping it was only till I got over the rough spots....ha!

Does it ever get easier? I can't imagine going through life wanting a cigarette all the time. Talk about stress... Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall

Well first off,
CONGRATULATIONS

This is a HUGE accomplishment Kassy!! Just think you've never done this before!!! You made it one week..YEAH Very Happy Very Happy

Do whatever you need to do to not put a cig in your mouth. How about taking toothpicks and putting them in cinnamon or peppermint oil. It might burn alittle at first but then it's ok. Chomp on some celery, deep breathe and go for a walk. When all else fails, try retail therapy...LOL...works for me. Wink Hang in there!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:55 pm      Reply with quote
Lifeplyr01 wrote:
Well first off,
CONGRATULATIONS

This is a HUGE accomplishment Kassy!! Just think you've never done this before!!! You made it one week..YEAH Very Happy Very Happy

Do whatever you need to do to not put a cig in your mouth. How about taking toothpicks and putting them in cinnamon or peppermint oil. It might burn a little at first but then it's ok. Chomp on some celery, deep breathe and go for a walk. When all else fails, try retail therapy...LOL...works for me. Wink Hang in there!

How do you always know the exact thing to say, to put a smile on my face when I'm at my wits end....LOL

I love peppermint!

Lifeplyr01
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:32 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Lifeplyr01 wrote:
Well first off,
CONGRATULATIONS

Do whatever you need to do to not put a cig in your mouth. How about taking toothpicks and putting them in cinnamon or peppermint oil. It might burn a little at first but then it's ok. Chomp on some celery, deep breathe and go for a walk. When all else fails, try retail therapy...LOL...works for me. Wink Hang in there!

How do you always know the exact thing to say, to put a smile on my face when I'm at my wits end....LOL

I love peppermint!

I have ESP... Cool

Peppermint tooth picks are yummy!! Try em'

Thanks hun...oh another trick, get a rubber band and put it on your wrist. Pull on it when you feel an urge. I think Winnie or one of the other gals had mentioned this before. Very Happy

5% products discount

Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:52 am      Reply with quote
Lifeplyr01

Thanks for the reply... One thing you said "when you are ready" and that is key...

Will keep everyone posted.. won't promise it will be today... but who knows

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:29 pm      Reply with quote
I was only ready when I couldn't breathe, and was in the ambulance....

....and now that I'm on the mend, it would be very easy to forget the scary stuff, and smoke again.......What a sick * spam alert * it really is.

I picked up a bunch of 'healthy' snack things today including 'peppermint's'...LOL, hopefully it will do the trick...

8 days......YAHOO!

DLI
5% products discount

Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:13 pm      Reply with quote
This is on another topic.. thought as you read the information on EDS you may have the answer.

I was reading info on skin care specificaly
Perfect complexion, do you know anything about it? I cannot find it again on the forum.

Thanks
DLI

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:08 pm      Reply with quote
A friend of mine quit smoking a year ago. She allegedly got 2-3 months of the patch for free...i think ordered it from some government website.
marnie
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:29 pm      Reply with quote
DLI wrote:

Thanks for the input

I did hypnosis three weeks ago, and it's been going well. I've tried other methods of quitting before, and I think this is one of the best.
dleonard
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:18 pm      Reply with quote
I have tried the patch, gum, acupuncture, hypnosis, books...............nothing seems to work for me.....My next try is with Champix, I hope I will have better results.........I HAVE NO WILLPOWER, as soon as something goes wring I go back to my cigarette......... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:17 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
I was only ready when I couldn't breathe, and was in the ambulance....

....and now that I'm on the mend, it would be very easy to forget the scary stuff, and smoke again.......What a sick * spam alert * it really is.

I picked up a bunch of 'healthy' snack things today including 'peppermint's'...LOL, hopefully it will do the trick...

8 days......YAHOO!

UPDATE:

On day 10, I was thrown every stressfull event imaginable in my path..

Long story short, I caved in and smoked. I'm sick and disgusted with myself, but for the life of me, can't throw the bloody things down.

I just keep saying, one more cigarette, one more pack, one more day.

I'm totally disgusted! This is really a terrible * spam alert *. I've been told by people in the know, that kicking cigarettes is harder than kicking heroin..

I'm at my witt's end, and would love to hear anybody elses experiences..

Kassy

MrsDowFire
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:54 am      Reply with quote
Kassy,

I am on week 6 off cigarettes. It was very hard at first but for me I took Chantix (I am not taking it anymore) and I kept thinking what a wonderful thing I was doing for my body by not smoking. Plus for me, I have an uncle who has smoked for so long and I saw him about a 1 1/2 years ago and hadn't seen him in forever. It was at a wedding and he couldn't even sit at the table without having a coughing attack. Had to leave the room a number of times and he just looked horrible. I also think about the women I've seen shopping with their oxygen tanks and I got determined that I had to quit smoking or I would end up like that. I want to enjoy my older years without being a burden to my family.

For not smoking for 6 weeks now, I bought my first Harley Davidson motorcycle. That payment is what I spent on cigarettes per month.

I heard on the news that you can get the patch somewhere for free right now. Have you checked into that?

It takes alot of will power but you can do it Kassy....

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:33 am      Reply with quote
Congratulations Allie Grace! You wrote eloquently and passionately and I'm so happy for you!!

I just passed my seven year anniversary on March 15 and it's hard to believe it was as easy as it was. Reading that book was the best thing I ever did.

My mom on the other hand - after spending three days in coronary care in Dec 06, read the book finally, and realized how easy it was to quit, we were thrilled and so was she...a week later she was dead. She figured it out a little too late.

Once more let me congratulate you on your freedom and obvious joy at your new smoke free life Very Happy
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:39 pm      Reply with quote
MrsDowFire wrote:
I am on week 6 off cigarettes. It was very hard at first but for me I took Chantix (I am not taking it anymore)
For not smoking for 6 weeks now, I bought my first Harley Davidson motorcycle. That payment is what I spent on cigarettes per month. It takes alot of will power but you can do it Kassy....

WOW! Congratulations on the quit and the Harley, how fantastic..

I've been so disgusted with myself I didn't have the heart to look at this thread since my last post.

I'm still smoking and I'm on day 3 of Chantix. I'm starting to notice a wierd taste in my throat, and hope this is the start of something good happening.

How long does it take for the nicotine blocking to happen....my quit date is Wed, and I'm hoping the cigs taste like crap by then..

I'd sure appreciate any pointers you Chantix folks can offer.

TIA
K

Allie Grace
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:15 pm      Reply with quote
Dahli wrote:
Congratulations Allie Grace! You wrote eloquently and passionately and I'm so happy for you!!

I just passed my seven year anniversary on March 15 and it's hard to believe it was as easy as it was. Reading that book was the best thing I ever did.

My mom on the other hand - after spending three days in coronary care in Dec 06, read the book finally, and realized how easy it was to quit, we were thrilled and so was she...a week later she was dead. She figured it out a little too late.

Once more let me congratulate you on your freedom and obvious joy at your new smoke free life Very Happy

I am so very sorry about your mom (((Dahli))) Bless your heart, I really feel for you. My father died in his late forties of a heart attack, on a Christmas morning, he was a heavy duty smoker. My mom smoked too, she now has all sorts of really serious health issues. She tried to quit for years and it wasn't until the last two years or so that she finally decided she had to stop totally. I know she is grateful that I quit, and I can just imagine your mom must be grateful you quit too.

Yay for you on seven years!!!!!!! that is reason to be celebrating, not to mention inspiring, wow. I am looking forward to more life with my new nose. I'm now finding there were some things that I should have been glad I couldn't smell, seriously, mostly other people LOL!

whispering******I know it's been said in this post, but try the book everyone, what have you got to lose but a couple bucks, or maybe the price of a pack of cigs.
Allie Grace
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:22 pm      Reply with quote
Liza7 wrote:
Hello Ladies,
My name is Liza and I'm a new member. You'll have to excuse me as I am new at all this. I found this sight by accident. Surprised I've been reading some of the messages and feel that this is a great site with everybody supporting each other even though you do not know each other personally. I am looking forward to reading all the messages posted. This is an awesome site and I'm glad I stumbled upon it. Razz

Hello Liza I don't post much, but I wanted to say "welcome". It really is a great bunch of people here.

Allie Grace
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:53 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |