Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Do any of you smokers out there want to quit?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 12, 2010 9:40 am      Reply with quote
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Maybe Keliu will take us all out for a rip roaring time on her boat.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 12, 2010 8:16 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I quit Diet Coke (again) today....1 day down! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 15, 2010 1:07 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Well, I quit Diet Coke (again) today....1 day down! Very Happy

I'm on Day 4 and still no desire to drop off the wagon! Very Happy

I hope the smokers who are trying to quit are having just as much luck as me. If not, please don't give up!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 16, 2010 2:01 am      Reply with quote
Congratulations Bethany for staying off the Coke! The two women on the current affairs show I mentioned were sent to a rehab clinic for their * spam alert * to Coke and are now apparently "cured".

I'm afraid there won't be any invitations for rehab on the boat because I'm in Sydney again. I've been here for a month because my Dad passed away - so soon after my Mum, I know - but he couldn't live without her. I must admit to having a couple of cigs to get me through all of this, but amazingly I haven't taken up smoking again. Just drinking - red wine is getting me through all of this!

Everyone - please don't clog up this thread with condolences - I know you'll all be thinking of me Very Happy You were all so kind when my Mum went. Anyway - to compensate for all this anguish, I'm getting a Pearl Laser treatment on Tuesday - so I'll start a thread after I've had it done and let you know how it went.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 16, 2010 7:44 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu, I won't clog up the thread as you requested, but I did want to say that I will never forget your description of your father wearing goggles while he smoked and rode the exercise bike...now THAT was a creative man, lol.

Many hugs to you, and we'll keep any eye out for that laser thread!

Thu May 20, 2010 9:31 am      Reply with quote
Quitting smoking is my top priority in 2010 and it's been so hard. But I want to treat my skin better. I already am a moisturizing fanatic so this is just the next logical step. I took the Eucerin Skin First pledge to make sure I am accountable to myself. Have you taken the pledge?

5% products discount

Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
I smoked for 15 years and tried several times to quit. With the patch, I was smoke free for about 3 months. On champix, I went 6 months without smoking. My problem each time was taking a drag here and there, or saying "I will just have one", which led me back to full-time smoking.

This time around, I've been smoke free for exactly 8 days and never plan to ever smoke again. I read Allen Carr's book "Easy Way to Stop Smoking." I had no real desire to read the book but my best friend bugged me for two years to give the book a try. I was really skeptical at first, laughing at the thought that a book would convince me to quit. 2/3 into the book, I no longer had the desire to smoke. I can say this time around I feel much more confident in my decision and the process of quitting has been pretty easy (never ever thought I would ever say that given my failed attempts in the past). I had a few cravings during the first few days but nothing as intense as the ones in the past, and after reading the book, I realized its more mental than anything else. I feel absolutely amazing.

For anyone who is thinking about quitting, get the book and give it a try... worse case scenario is that you remain a smoker after you read the book. Good luck!
Penta
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:11 pm      Reply with quote
I quit smoking 2 years ago. I used to smoke 2 packs a day for 5 years.
There was nothing special that helped me finally quit, but the thought of that very first cigarette, once you've already quit for a couple of days. You know, when it tastes horrible and makes you dizzy?
Also, every time I wanted to smoke (which I wanted all the time in the first month) I would say to myself: "Not now, I'll have one tomorrow, if I still want it." So I just kept putting it off and off until it didn't make sense anymore to smoke.

I feel so much better now, though. I can't even describe the many ways my life has changed for the better. More time, more money, better health, better skin..

Everybody, stay strong! It's so worth it!
Good luck, everyone!!
kls
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:04 pm      Reply with quote
Hello everyone!
Most of you don't know me, but I was part of the original group on this thread that decided to quit smoking back in 2006.
This past July, I celebrated 4 years of being smoke-free, and each year since has brought about new transformations in my life.Very Happy
When I quit smoking, that's all I thought I was about to do: "quit smoking"... little did I know that it was the first step of a life-altering journey. Every time I look back to the day I quit, I give thanks for being given the strength & courage I needed to battle this * spam alert *. There were times when it felt like this was the most difficult thing I had ever attempted in my life... but I always held on to one thought:
I would settle for nothing less than victory.
Taking it One Day At A Time, and committing to the N.O.P.E pledge (Not One Puff Ever), has added up to 4 years of being free from the bondage of smoking, and the confidence of knowing that I can maintain this freedom as long as I remain vigilant, and never become complacent in my recovery.

Blessings of strength & courage to all of you that are starting your journey. You can do this. You have it in you... you just have to reach deep, and commit to your quit... body, mind & spirit.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:58 pm      Reply with quote
3 weeks and a couple a days smoke free for me...(Hopefully this time will be the charm.)

I'm posting here now for those who are reading, and are concerned with the skin improvements you might realize by quitting.

My extremely noticable skin improvements:

#1 My dreaded malar bags are about 85% gone. (Because my circulation isn't so compromised, the lymphatics are draining just as they are designed to.) Mr Kassy brought this to my attention a week ago. (This is the same man who never noticed when my naturally blondish hair was all of a sudded bright red! Rolling Eyes )

#2 My little thread veins (especially around the nose and on the chin) are greatly reduced (about 50 to 60% at this time). (Smokers will never get rid of these unless they quit, I promise you!)

What I'm dissapointed (and surprised) about:

#1 I'm not noticing an increased prettiness or color to my skin tone. (It's very nice still, just not improving.)

#2 Now this really sucks, but the truth is the truth, I'm noticing the vertical smokers lines (above upper lip) more now, than I did a year ago. (I can't figure this out at all Confused ) I'm assuming this is just a getting older thing... It doesn't make sense otherwise, especially since I had great improvement while still smoking, with Vaculifter use.

Anyhow, just thought I'd share a few thoughts while I was here.

@kls; Yay you, and thanks for giving me the extra motivation I need to continue on... (Your timing was perfect Very Happy )

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Frodo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:08 pm      Reply with quote
Congratulations Kassy, I am always thrilled to hear smokers give it a go on the "no more of these stupid things".

I was just outside having one and decided to put it out, grab what cigs were left and soaked them in water, emptied out the ashtray and soaked the butts. I remembered reading the post from kls and came inside to find it and print it out because it was so beautifully written (thank you kls). I am hanging it up where I can read it when I am feeling the urge.

Anyone else out there giving it a go I'm right behind you. I'm reading the book by Allen Carr "the easy way to stop smoking". I need all the help I can find.

Kassy, sure hope the lip lines get in sync with the rest of the good things happening to your skin.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:01 pm      Reply with quote
Dancing Dancing One month yesterday Dancing Dancing

* The dreaded lip lines are still noticable, and I think I know why... I've been chewing gum all of my waking hours, and when I look in the mirror (while chewing) I see the blasted lines Sad I also haven't used the Vaculifter more than very briefly here and there.

* The malar bags have really gone down and I am happy about that. (Increased circulation + increased lymphatic drainage..it was a given that they would go down...Yay!

And the big negatives are these.. I miss the bloody cigs, have horrible cravings that come and go, and a DH who is at his wits end, and just waiting for one word from me to go buy a pack... Sad OH, and did I mention we each gained more than 5 lbs... Bad Grin (Maybe the extra fat will go to my cheeks... Laughing Rolling Eyes Laughing )

Argh!

How is everybody else doing? Misery likes company and all that... Wink Did you *pack* them in Frodo? Everybody I ever talked to that read the "Carr" book quit with ease.. Is it worth the read?

RANT: I want to choke and throttle everybody who say's to me and hubby; "Oh, I quit 5 years ago and it didn't bother me a bit", or "It's all in your mind, you can do it"... Drrrr, really, I never thought of that... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:11 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy - Congratulations on the one month and thank God for good humor or you and the hubby would kill each other.
I am amazed - you got Hubby to quit too. is he kicking and screaming?

One comment I had - the reason you're not seeing more improvement than the malar bags is because you already have it going on Girlfriend. You look better than nonsmokers 10 years younger you little Vixen.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:27 pm      Reply with quote
$#!T .... I had a weak moment, and a cig... Sad

Back on track tomorrow. (It was all Mr Kassy's fault.. Bad Grin )

DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:09 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
$#!T .... I had a weak moment, and a cig... Sad

Back on track tomorrow. (It was all Mr Kassy's fault.. Bad Grin )

You have been soooo good, but it's always the man's fault! I know the many times I have quit I just can't have that one or I start again, but don't follow in those footsteps! Smile

This may sound nuts but it worked for me I kept cut up carrots, celery, green and red peppers constantly in the fridge and ate then all darn day, at least it replaced that need to have something in my hand and obviously the whole oral fixation and I managed not to gain weight! Shock Shock Shock

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:54 am      Reply with quote
My first post on this thread 5 years ago:
Quote:
May I join in? I've been thinking of quitting for a long time. Yesterday I had the last smoke from a pack & decided that was going to be it.
I've smoked for most of my life, quit several times, but always went back. The last time was the worst- I quit for 3 years (with absolutely no cheating), then suddenly I got such a unexpected craving for several days. I ended up buying a pack of smokes, thinking it would be just for fun & that I wouldn't smoke after those were gone. WRONG!! That was over 5 years ago. I can see that smoking that 1st cigarette was my biggest mistake. I guess it's been so hard to quit again because I see how I failed after such a long time, and really wondering if I can do it again...it seems like such a long road.

Yes, it does seem like a long road when you first begin your journey. But as the path in front of you starts to reveal all of its once hidden splendors... you look forward to discovering what is around each new bend.
5 years ago I quit smoking...
that was the beginning of my journey. A year later I quit drinking. Then my focus turned to eating clean, exercising & growing spiritually.

Quite simply, my life is better than I could have ever imagined.
And to think... it all started one Monday morning 5 years ago snubbing out my last cigarette.

We all have the power to change.
IMAGINE. BELIEVE. BECOME.
One day at a time.

Peace to you all,
kls
Nancy G
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:31 pm      Reply with quote
In my experience as a Psychologist, smokers quit more successfully in groups or with a quit smoking "buddy". It is an extremely difficult * spam alert * to beat. The short term success rate is quite high, however, most smokers will return to smoking at least for a short while, then try again. As with all addictions it can be over come. It starts with a keen willingness and perhaps an approach similar to any twelve step program. One day at a time. Or in some cases one minute at a time. BTW I am not a quit smoking coach nor am I a smoker. I came across this thread and found it quite interesting and enjoyed the member interaction.

A colleague shared this You Tube Channel with me, sponsored by Nicorettes. I am not promoting Nicorettes in anyway but thought that the group dynamic was quite effective. This may help motivate anyone out there who would like to be smoke free.

http://www.youtube.com/user/smoberup?blend=23&ob=5

Nancy Very Happy
alexi

Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:54 am      Reply with quote
Congratulations to all you quitters - you have to be determined and ready to give up. Unfortunately I still smoke after 30+ years and I enjoy it :? but know that it will eventually kill me.

So if any of you are like me why not try e-cigarettes. Admittedly I have been using it for 1 week but I haven't not had a real cigarette since. I have noticed that chest is not so tight and breathing through my nose is a lot better :D One day I just started googling e-cigarettes and didn't realise how popular they are, there are so many forums. Apparently they are safer than cigarettes as they don't contain tar and 4000+ chemicals. It still contains nicotine but you can buy the fluid in different strengths and some people have given up by diluting the fluid. It is supposed to be cheaper than a pack of cigarettes.

I can now vape (smoke) indoors in front of the tv/comp in the warmth as it now getting cold in the UK. :D

So any non-quitters as a last resort have a look at the information/forums about them.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:56 am      Reply with quote
Nancy G wrote:
In my experience as a Psychologist, smokers quit more successfully in groups or with a quit smoking "buddy".

This makes sense since people originally began smoking to look cool in front of other kids and to belong to the "in" crowd. How times have changed!
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:56 am      Reply with quote
Nancy G wrote:
In my experience as a Psychologist, smokers quit more successfully in groups or with a quit smoking "buddy".

This makes sense since people originally began smoking to look cool in front of other kids and to belong to the "in" crowd. How times have changed!
anya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:27 pm      Reply with quote
alexi wrote:

So if any of you are like me why not try e-cigarettes. Admittedly I have been using it for 1 week but I haven't not had a real cigarette since. I have noticed that chest is not so tight and breathing through my nose is a lot better Very Happy One day I just started googling e-cigarettes and didn't realise how popular they are, there are so many forums. Apparently they are safer than cigarettes as they don't contain tar and 4000+ chemicals. It still contains nicotine but you can buy the fluid in different strengths and some people have given up by diluting the fluid. It is supposed to be cheaper than a pack of cigarettes.

I can now vape (smoke) indoors in front of the tv/comp in the warmth as it now getting cold in the UK. Very Happy

So any non-quitters as a last resort have a look at the information/forums about them.

+ 1 for vaping. I smoked for the past 40 years and had my last cigarette in April 2011. I've always loved smoking and had no desire to quit, but unfortunately it was affecting my health and I'd no choice. Since starting to vape I've not missed analogs (cigs) at all, my breathing is 100% better, I've lost my 'smoker's voice', my blood pressure is now normal and an added bonus is that my house smells fresh
So if any of you are looking for an easier way to quit or cut back, I highly recommend vaping. (Don't buy them at those mall kiosks - they're grossly overpriced - there are better quality ecigs out there at much lower prices).
flick24
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:09 pm      Reply with quote
I'm a smoker and trying to quit currently reading the Alan Carr book but have'nt read in a few weeks half way through, I am also addicted to diet coke I'm better than I was I could go through 4 litres a day now its down to 2.

I wish you all good luck on winning you battle and hope I can too

I heard e cigs could be dangerous there is not enough research on how the body reacts to taking nicotine as a vapour, think they are banned in some countries.
kls
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:50 pm      Reply with quote
10 years today! Very Happy
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:59 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |