Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
What's the nicest compliment you've gotten from a stranger?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
rosyface
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:32 am      Reply with quote
i went to the dentist the other day and got a nice compliment...he was doing a check of my teeth and he said that "it's not very often we see such beautiful teeth like yours. They are at the very top of the natural tooth colour chart and the shape is just beautiful". He called his two hygenists into the room (from working on other patients) and told them to "look at these gorgeous teeth, arne't they great?"

Then he said to me" don't ever let anybody try to talk you into bleaching these beauties ever".

Ooops! five years ago i tried bleaching but it didn't work well.

So here i am blushing like mad, feeling very conspicuous but flattered too trying to mumble a humble "thank you very much, i'll thank my mother for giving me her nice teeth"....

anyway, maybe he says that to lots of patients to relax them (i'm terrified at the dentists) and to distract them. In any case, it worked for me...and is motivating me to take better care of my teeth in the bargain....

It was nice to hear...

Let's start a nice compliment thread...to remind us that we can be naturally beautiful in the eyes of strangers even though we try so hard to be beautiful to our own eyes...see yourself through the eyes of a stranger and it can give your confidence a huge boost. We all need that...

Fire away everyone! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:52 am      Reply with quote
I was on Michigan Ave shopping and was in one of the stores. Was browsing through the clothes and a random girl comes up to me to ask: "Are you a model?" I blushed and simply replied "um..no".
rosyface
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:09 am      Reply with quote
Wow, what a great compliment! I'll never be mistaken for a model but i'm glad that i have a few good features....

you must be a beautiful lady Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:22 pm      Reply with quote
A SA told me "your skin is so beautiful, like butter".
I have been told I look like a porcelain doll, lol! (not sure if that is a compliment or not).
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:53 pm      Reply with quote
When I lived in Japan, people told me I looked like Cinderella about 50 times. The truth is, I've always been more of a Princess Jasmine woman, but I'll take it where I can get it, LOL.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
Well I've had all sorts of strange comments from all sorts of strange people....

But way back a long time ago when I was a youngster, while waiting for my boyfriend in the street, I had a complete stranger give me a bunch of flowers. He said he had just been stood up by his girlfriend and he wanted to give them to me cos I looked like a nice person...little did he know Bad Grin

Suffice to say, they were a very useful prop when my boyfriend arrived (without flowers) and I told him they had just been given to me by another man. Certainly kept him on edge for a while Bad Grin
Linnie
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:27 pm      Reply with quote
A nurse who was drawing blood from me for tests told me that I had beautiful veins.
And 25 years ago, a guy looked at me, ran to a street flower vendor, bought a red rose and handed to me without saying a word.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:03 pm      Reply with quote
rosyface wrote:
Wow, what a great compliment! I'll never be mistaken for a model but i'm glad that i have a few good features....

you must be a beautiful lady Laughing

Nah, she's just blind Very Happy
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:37 pm      Reply with quote
Awww...all these are such nice compliments! What a positive thread!!!!

Sad thing is, I have to think really hard about this...if it were a fabulous compliment, you'd think I'd remember it. Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
I've had several but a few stand out, either because they were really good or really bad/weird (i.e. from a creepy stranger):

I get a lot of compliments on my eyes. They're big and brown so I guess they have a "doe-like" quality. I even had one stranger stop on his way out of a restaurant while I was still eating to tell me I had beautiful eyes. Slightly creepy.

The other creepy one was when I walked into a gas station to pay (because the place was lame and did NOT have pay at the pump Rolling Eyes ) and the guy in front of me looked me up and down and said "nice legs". Ick...perv.

Now onto some good ones. I've had a few people, including one lady that was cutting my hair tell me that I should be a model (well that was when I was in high school anyway Laughing ).

Another one was when a guy scared me at first while I was at a red light and gave me the "roll down your window" motion (he was in the passenger seat). He was probably in college and so I went ahead (I would usually smile and look away at something like that...especially in Dallas!). After I got it rolled down he said "I just wanted to let you know that you're the most beautiful woman that I've seen all week" and then the light turned and we went different ways. I thought it was sweet.

My FAVORITE of all time though, and it wasn't even a huge compliment to me, just happened about a year ago. I work for a very large veteran's hospital and so most of my patients are the sweetest and most proud American's there are. Well, one day I was on the elevator with some other people and an elderly couple (late 80's) got on. She was slowly pushing him (he was in a wheelchair), and I noticed he was staring at me as he came into the elevator. As soon as the doors closed he looked up at me, smiled and said "I just have to say, you are the second most beautiful woman on this elevator"! His wife just smiled at me. When he first opened his mouth I was like...this old man is going to be a creep and make a pass at me in front of his obviously devoted wife. Then that came out and it made me want to cry it was just so sweet. Working for these vets is absolutely amazing and such an honor. Very Happy
FrevaKZ
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:03 pm      Reply with quote
"Isn't it nice that you can start wearing those short dresses for summer again?"

-cut to me getting up and walking away from desirous young male.
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:32 pm      Reply with quote
Ahh compliments. We should pass them around more often. Especially between women. I always try to compliment another woman, eg her hair, her outfit, etc. I find some women are so catty and jealous or insecure that they can never offer up anything nice to say to someone else. My best compliments were always those given by other women because they seemed the most honest and sincere. I have been complimented on my hands and feet (many have told me I should be a hand and foot model LOL), tons of remarks on my eyes and recently a few on my skin which was great to hear as my skin was suffering from acne just a couple of years back. It always takes me aback when I hear something nice because I guess it's not something I hear that often. I wish people would say nice things to each other all the time. then again, we would probably become desensitized and it wouldn't mean as much. Who knows? I just know that it makes me feel great when someone passes some nice words my way.
Seeking~HG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:57 pm      Reply with quote
TAMgirl99 wrote:
. . . My FAVORITE of all time though, and it wasn't even a huge compliment to me, just happened about a year ago. I work for a very large veteran's hospital and so most of my patients are the sweetest and most proud American's there are. Well, one day I was on the elevator with some other people and an elderly couple (late 80's) got on. She was slowly pushing him (he was in a wheelchair), and I noticed he was staring at me as he came into the elevator. As soon as the doors closed he looked up at me, smiled and said "I just have to say, you are the second most beautiful woman on this elevator"! His wife just smiled at me. When he first opened his mouth I was like...this old man is going to be a creep and make a pass at me in front of his obviously devoted wife. Then that came out and it made me want to cry it was just so sweet. Working for these vets is absolutely amazing and such an honor. Very Happy

OMG--This one choked me up!

wildflower wrote:
Ahh compliments. We should pass them around more often. Especially between women. I always try to compliment another woman, eg her hair, her outfit, etc. I find some women are so catty and jealous or insecure that they can never offer up anything nice to say to someone else. . . It always takes me aback when I hear something nice because I guess it's not something I hear that often. I wish people would say nice things to each other all the time. . . I just know that it makes me feel great when someone passes some nice words my way.

I rarely get compliments. Even when I recently lost over 40 pounds, only 2 people at work (out of over 50) complimented me. I always try to remember to say nice things to people, even strangers. After all, it costs you nothing, makes you AND them feel good, and it very well could be the only positive thing in that person's day! Neutral

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:07 pm      Reply with quote
Seeking~HG wrote:
I rarely get compliments. Even when I recently lost over 40 pounds, only 2 people at work (out of over 50) complimented me. I always try to remember to say nice things to people, even strangers. After all, it costs you nothing, makes you AND them feel good, and it very well could be the only positive thing in that person's day! Neutral

Oh! Don't feel bad! What you've accomplished is awesome and more than most people even get close to. And it's not even just the fact that you've lost the weight that's awesome but the fact that you decided to make that improvement for your own health.

Besides, I think people are a bit afraid to say something when it comes to someone else's weight (even if it's good). It's kind of a grey area as to how people are going to take a comment about it. I think they might feel that by complimenting on it they're also acknowledging that that person had a weight problem to begin with, so it's just better left alone. Of course I don't know that to be true for everone, but I'm sure it's especially true for the males. I think (stereotypically anyway) that women have always scrutinized men for mentioning ANYTHING to do with their weight, so they just avoid that topic all together. Boys will never get us! Then again even I don't get us. Laughing
lifeisbeautiful
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:28 pm      Reply with quote
Seeking-HG & Wildflower, Totally agree with you - we should really pass on more praises and nice words to others - this will make the world a nicer place !!!

Thinking really hard, these are the nicest compliments I have had:

I was on a trip with a colleague (a beautiful woman a few years younger than me) with a few male clients to a China exhibition. One of the men told me - 'You are very good looking - you get a '10' if she's an '8'. Though it didn't seem too fair to her, it really was soothing to my ears Laughing !!

One time we were having a meeting with our supplier. I was the last me to go into the conference room and took a back seat. My boss hailed and said to me - "Come and sit in the front - we must have the good looking people here !!". I blushed Shock !!

I gather though, from the above posts, we really have many many beautiful ladies in this forum

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:12 pm      Reply with quote
I was told once that I had the same look of Elizabeth Taylor in Cleopatra...minus the eyeliner. Rolling Eyes

The most recent one was when I started this class almost 2 months ago...well we met last week and one of the girls said,,,,"I didn't even recognize you. I thought you were a high school student!" I thought that was a great compliment...a day before my 34 birthday!
Seeking~HG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:56 am      Reply with quote
Some great compliments here!
O.K. EDS Forum Members--From now on, let's all remember to "Pay It Forward".

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:04 pm      Reply with quote
I'm not sure if this was a compliment. Last Friday the Justice of the Peace asked the court reporter to go off the record and then asked me if I was under 18 years of age! I'm in my mid-thirties and I am a legal professional!
I don't know......what did he mean by that?
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:06 pm      Reply with quote
I get a lot of compliments on my eyes. People go over the moon about them, but I'm not sure what the big deal is. My boyfriend says it's because they're big, wide, shaped like Audrey Hepburn's, but kind of bluegreeny color. My eye doctor always tells me I have "nice, big, young eyes."

The biggest compliment I ever got was when I was getting my roots done at the salon, and the salon owner, some hot shot hairdo guy that goes to Europe to do runway, kept looking at me, and even stopped to tell me when I had brown goo all over my head that I was pretty. He asked my stylist my name while I was under the dryer (which she got more excited about than I did), and when I was walking out of the salon he stopped me and asked if I modeled. I said no, and he asked me if I'd be interested. I just blushed and said I didn't think so. But it sure made my day.
deanne123
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:11 pm      Reply with quote
I have been told I look like Meryl Streep. The first time was when I was 18 and worked at an amusement park. I was a little offended as I didn't know who she was (except much older) until I saw 'Death Becomes her' THEN I couldn't see any resemblance between us at all! I actually feel a bit self conscience when I hear it (which is fairly frequently) because Meryl is just gorgeous at any age.

I figure though as long as it is a 'young' Meryl and not the current age (even though I think she is stunning!) then I'm ok with it. Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:07 pm      Reply with quote
Not strangers, but I got a great compliment at my weekly quilting class. I was a few minutes late and when I walked in the door, several shouted "She's here! She's here!" I was a bit alarmed, wondering what was going on. Then one of the ladies said "We were just saying how you were our ray of sunshine and we were sad because we didn't think you were going to make it this week". Smile Sure made me feel great!
LindseyLS1
5% products discount

Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:57 pm      Reply with quote
Ok, so this is back when I had just turned 18 and was out to eat with my parents on vacation in florida. We were at a family friendly seafood place seated close to the bar when a man who was drinking at the bar comes over to our table and hands me a napkin with writing on it. I look at my parents and sister with a "what the f*ck" expression on my face and begin to read it. The man wrote on the napkin something like "you are so pretty you look exactly like Jennifer Aniston but prettier, you look like you should be in movies".. nicest thing anyone ever wrote or said to me (besides the I love you I get from my boyfriend everyday).. even though the man was obviously plastered Laughing
shanno
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:04 pm      Reply with quote
I especially like getting and giving compliments to other women. Whenever a chic or attractive woman pays me a compliment, I feel like I've gotten a nod from an expert in the field! Laughing
Olyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:15 pm      Reply with quote
Ok this is maybe not the nicest compliment, but it ranks high for unusual-ness. I would guess the majority of the compliments I get from strangers are for my hair, which I've never fully understood. I mean, I like my hair but it just doesn't seem like anything special to me. Anyway.

Last year I was shopping and felt this woman (not an employee) kind of watching me browse. I looked over at her to figure out if she really was watching me and she smiled and apologized, saying I had such gorgeous hair she couldn't help staring. I was a little creeped out but said thank you, and then she asked if she could touch my hair! I said, "Uhh, sure, I guess" and so she came over and grabbed a chunk and said how soft it was.

Now I'm one of those people who really keeps to themselves and does Not typically initiate conversation/interact-unless-necessary with strangers but I do try to be polite. Anyway the woman later said she was coming off chemotherapy and used to have hair like mine (although according to her, not as nice) but after the radiation it was coming in differently. The whole thing was still a little strange, but I did feel better and I was glad I wasn't rude to her.

I get compliments from strangers relatively frequently but I am not very good at receiving them. Rolling Eyes I am trying to work on that though.
ellyp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:08 pm      Reply with quote
I can't think of anything about me personally right now (it must be the crazy hormonal stage I'm going through right now being postpartum -- I'm feeling very ugly and fat right now!) but I have some funny ones from when my son was born about 6 weeks ago. When the nurse went to cut his cord, she exclaimed (like it was just SUCH a great thing), "Wow! What a thick umbilical cord!!" I asked the doctor about it later and he was flummoxed. He said it didn't matter in the slightest!

The next one was when that very same doctor was handing my 12-hour-old son back to me after checking him over, he said, "Wow, nice hairline!" What a funny thing to notice! Made me wonder if he has been worrying about HIS hairline lately... Laughing
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:02 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |