Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

glycolic peel - Should I go for it
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
jlrobatzek
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:07 am      Reply with quote
I was at Ulta the other day having my eyebrows done, and the lady suggested that I could benefit from a glycolic peel.

I have acne prone oily skin, that because of the heat and humidity is clogging and breaking out. I do have some ance scars, and I'm showing slight wrinkles around my eyes.

I was using PSF Paypaya cleansing gel, Juice beauty Green Apple cleanser, Green Apple Peel (full strength), OCM a couple times a week, Neutrogena Acne fade gel, and the Murad clay mask.

Do you guys think a glycolic peel would do anything, and if so, what should I expect?
hendricks
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:13 am      Reply with quote
go for it ... it will improve skin tone and smoothness. I love it.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:14 am      Reply with quote
I think though, to see results, you have to do a series of these peels (like 6-Cool. HTH.
hendricks
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:18 am      Reply with quote
if your using the home kind, not just a series of 6 ... you got to use it regularly to maintain results.
jlrobatzek
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:23 am      Reply with quote
It would be done at their store. Are there any questions I should ask her before I make an appointment? Any thing I should look for?
hendricks
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:42 am      Reply with quote
ask her to give you the strength suitable for your skin type and sensitivity level. I have heard lots of stories of chemical burns as a result of using very high % acid peels and/or leaving on the face for too long.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:56 am      Reply with quote
I agree with rileygirl that you would really need to do a series of peels to see results. I think that the glycolic peels would help with your clogged pores and help your acne scars (superficial ones only) to fade quicker. I was getting glycolic peels done at my derms every month and my pores really looked cleaner and more "refined". I also noticed that the pink marks from my pimples faded a lot quicker. If you have a series done that is when you should see the most results. It depends on the strenght too. I worked up to 70% over a series of 6 peels, I don't know if a series of 20% or 30% would have the same results I achieved with the 70%. BTW I am convinced that for me the peels made my acne worse although I realize that this is not a typical reaction. HTH
razinkane
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:57 pm      Reply with quote
Are peels too harsh for broken cap prone skin?
hendricks
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
if you want to save some money you can use the home kits ... I use the 35% glycolic peel fromwww.makeupartistschoice.com and i'm pretty happy with the results.
hendricks
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:01 pm      Reply with quote
razinkane wrote:
Are peels too harsh for broken cap prone skin?

i think 30 to 40% should be fine. Maybe email the company.
Janis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:09 pm      Reply with quote
You should be fine. Just make sure they know that it's your first time and you're not sure how your skin will react -- they will use a gentler strength.

These peels really aren't that big of a deal. I was kind of scared before I got one, but it turned out to be pretty run of the mill. The results are pretty good (particularly immediately afterwards, at least for me) but won't change your life or anything. They just make your skin look a little brighter and fresher -- that's all I've really noticed. The results are kind of hard to define.

I had a series of them and I was hoping for more drastic results...

Definitely better and more value for the buck than a facial, though. I recommend giving at least one a try, seeing if you like it and how your skin reacts.
mk
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:11 pm      Reply with quote
i had my first glycolic peel facial last week. i have sensitive skin, but congestion. i was a bit hesitant, but the lady that did the facial was very helpful, and explained everything thoroughly. the most important bits of info were:

1. if the facial worked, then my skin was going to be peeling and flaking for a few days after;
2. when she did the peel, it would feel tingly and warm, but that if it felt like burning or uncomfortable in any way, to let her know and she'd remove it straight away;
3. avoid heating up the skin for a few days after.

my skin felt tight for the rest of the same day, and dry and flaky for a few days after that, but last night i did an exfoliating mask followed by a moisturising mask, and my skin looks and feels great!

i too waas told to follow it up with a further 4-5 treatments. i don't know if i would put my face through the same process for another month, though.
jlrobatzek
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:53 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for everyone's input. I think I'm going to try one and see how it goes. I'm not sure if I can afford a whole series, but if I see some good results, I'm sure I can come up with the money.
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:04 pm      Reply with quote
You can definitely do these yourself. thepersonalformulator.com has lactic acid and glycerin, other bases you could use to mix up whatever concentration you choose. Also, consider that using a 10% glycolic product (leave-on serum, cream, lotion, etc.)everyday for six months is equal to a one-time 70% peel. However, you would have some serious downtime with the 70% peel.

Personally, I mix up a 40% lactic acid/glycerin peel, use a soaked cotton ball on a alcohol-prepped, cleansed face, wait 3 minutes max and rinse. I end up with super-smooth, glowing skin about two days later. I don't think my complexion could handle it being on any longer than that.
jlrobatzek
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:41 am      Reply with quote
betterat40,
I went to the site, how do you know what to buy, and how do you mix it?
LiTZ
5% products discount

Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:13 am      Reply with quote
im kinda interested in these, jus wanted to know some info from u guys who have tryed it, i was thinking of doing it myself at home with 30% to start with. if anyone can help with the following; how would it be applied? how long is it uaually kept on for? im not sure about the actual process, is it like your normal skin after uve taken it off and then the next few days your skin starts peeling, or how does it work?
thanks guys
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
I have done 30% Glycolic peels at home now several times. To start with I left it on for 5 minutes but now I am up to 10 minutes. Most bottles come with an eye drop stopper so you put a few drops onto a cotton pad and then swipe on your face. If your face feels hot you can sit or stand near a fan. My face usually looks red for an hour afterwards then it goes back to normal. I usually flake (not peel) 2 days after each one but that's what I want. I like that my skin glows more afterwards. I also think that it helps with keeping pores clean.

I have purchased the peel (as well as other things) from Platinum Skincare.
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:40 pm      Reply with quote
(Re-lives the nightmare of home peel gone wrong Anxious )

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
I used a 30% for several months at home - once a week -and found that it was better than microdermabrasion or your garden variety mask, really cleaned the skin well and boosted circulation, but there were no big dramatic changes. I think it's a case of YMMV and what strength you use, but it's a legitimate product and I'd encourage you to try a series, either at home or elsewhere.
Seeking~HG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:20 pm      Reply with quote
betterat40 wrote:
. . . thepersonalformulator.com has lactic acid and glycerin, other bases you could use to mix up whatever concentration you choose . . . Personally, I mix up a 40% lactic acid/glycerin peel, use a soaked cotton ball on a alcohol-prepped, cleansed face, wait 3 minutes max and rinse. I end up with super-smooth, glowing skin about two days later.

betterat40,
I was wondering if you could please tell us how you make your lactic acid peel. Do you just use lactic acid and glycerin only? How about the ingredient measurements? How do you determine the LA percentage in your solution? Also, how strong of a percentage did you start out using? Any other tips?
TIA

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:57 am      Reply with quote
I finally broke down and purchased a 30% glycolic peel trial size from makeupartists. I also purchased the copper peptides sample. The package was shipped on friday, and I can't wait for it to get here. Does anyone have any tips or tricks on either?
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:18 pm      Reply with quote
Yes. Make sure that your face is thoroughly cleansed and oil free. In doctor's facilities before a peel they use alcohol or acetone (these are for deeper peels) but I use dishsoap as was recommended to me for home use. Normally of course this would be awful but when you are doing a peel you need all oils from the face removed in order for the peel to penetrate evenly. Liquid dishsoap works well for this.

Everyone is nervous the first time that they do a peel. As long as you follow instructions it should go well. After I did my first one I thought, "this was it?!" In my mind it was so much scarier than reality.
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:59 pm      Reply with quote
betterat40 wrote:
You can definitely do these yourself. thepersonalformulator.com has lactic acid and glycerin, other bases you could use to mix up whatever concentration you choose. Also, consider that using a 10% glycolic product (leave-on serum, cream, lotion, etc.)everyday for six months is equal to a one-time 70% peel. However, you would have some serious downtime with the 70% peel.

Personally, I mix up a 40% lactic acid/glycerin peel, use a soaked cotton ball on a alcohol-prepped, cleansed face, wait 3 minutes max and rinse. I end up with super-smooth, glowing skin about two days later. I don't think my complexion could handle it being on any longer than that.

How do you know its a 40% solution and how often do you do this???? I have both the Lactic acid and Glycerin from TPF. thanks!
jlrobatzek
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:45 am      Reply with quote
Anna_in_Sweden

Thanks for the info. I received my package last night, I was suprised that they included very detailed instructions, plus a sample of their green tea soap, which is used twice before doing the peel. I wanted to make sure I removed all the oils, per your suggestion. I think it went well. My face isn't peeling off, so that's good. I do have a bit of tenderness on either side of my nose, right under my eye sockets. It feels like I have a slight sunburn there. My skin does feel smoother, but that's it. I know it will take some time, I'm just impatient.
Bosoxy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:19 pm      Reply with quote
If you use a fan brush for your peels instead of a cotton pad, your product will go much further and it will last much much longer as the cotton sucks up too much of the product. Wink

Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:14 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |