Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Any Suggestions for firming upper arm skin?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:05 am      Reply with quote
Don't know if there's an answer to this as I've noticed the same problem on Madonna, and that girl knows her skincare.

The last couple of years I've noticed I get this droop on the underneath of my upper arms when holding them out (I'm mid 40s). I think in the UK they call this BINGO WINGS!!

I definitely don't need to lose weight, and I exercise more than most, free weights regularly, and swim a kilometre several times a week. Maybe I could work the triceps more but I don't think it's the muscle tone that's the problem.

Is there any solution to my "old woman's arms"? I know it's hard to fight time and gravity but I sure want to! Am thinking about trying the MD Skincare Firming Body Lotion with Vitamin C but I suspect it won't be enough? Any ideas?
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:15 pm      Reply with quote
I don't have an answer for you but I thought you may want to check out this web-site. www.dermadoctor.com

I hope others will respond to your post with ideas that work. I'm in my thirties and I think I may get the same problem as I get closer to my 40's.
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, Skincare. I'm already a regular at the dermadoctor site, among many others Laughing

You should be safe for quite a few years as I only noticed my problem around 44, 45. Just turned 47, not sure if that makes me mid or late 40s? I'll stick with mid 40s for now Very Happy

I suspect there's no real cure for this as gravity and changes in skin tone as you get older take their toll, regardless of how much you exercise or what products you use.

However I'm open to any suggestions?
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
I guess excersize and from New Beauty magazine it suggests.......

Clarins Body Shaping Cream

L'Oreal Sublime Slim patch (never noticed this product in the store)

Caudalie Firming Concentrate
MACrisis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:04 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Appletini:

I just turned 47 about 2 weeks ago and I quietly changed my profile from mid-40 to late 40. Silenced Silenced Silenced Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall

Chinese call it "Butterfly sleeves". I've been doing yoga for more than 5 years (But been exercise all my life) and my under arm areas are firmer than most of women I know in their 20's. I've never used any body firming product. I believe exercise regularly, healthy diet, AND your BODY TYPE play big roll on this. I have small upper body (size 6) and "a little bit bigger" lower body (size Cool). (Read my lips ladies, only a little bit bigger.) I don't gain weight on my upper body easily but my butt grows like American Express. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad And I've noticed the skin on my knees are getting loose. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:16 pm      Reply with quote
This made post made me smirk because my bf's mom was going on about this exact thing this weekend. His dad bought her this t-shirt-- nothing fancy, just a v-neck cotton t-shirt. And she HATED it, didn't want to wear it, because its sleeves were too short and showed off her, as she called them, "googly" arms. I think googly arms are just a fact of life, and that we women shouldn't worry about our googly parts so much!
debbied
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:00 pm      Reply with quote
You are so right... no real worry here. However, I don't wear sleeveless tops except around the house, why would I want anyone to have to look at my "googly" parts? I hate to look at 'em, so I'm pretty sure every one else would too! Laughing
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:35 pm      Reply with quote
GOOGLY arms! After hearing that description I'm going back to long sleeves Laughing Laughing

MACrisis wrote:

I just turned 47 about 2 weeks ago and I quietly changed my profile from mid-40 to late 40. Silenced Silenced Silenced Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall

MAC, I'm going to stretch mid-40s out to my next birthday before I make the change to late-40s. Very Happy
I've also noticed some strange stuff going on around the knees too but I always wear jeans so my knees are displayed to a limited audience thankfully.

Well I'm going to try some of those firming type creams anyway. Can't do any harm, except to my credit card...
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:49 pm      Reply with quote
I just had an idea. Idea

Have been using heavy duty AHAs (at least 10% or more) on my arms and shoulders ever since they came on the market back in the early 90s.

Wondering if anyone has heard reports of long term use of AHAs causing skin sagging? I

Yes, I know I'm clutching at straws here.
It's got to be the AHAs, it can't just simply be me getting old Laughing
Minx
5% products discount

Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:49 am      Reply with quote
Neutrogena Skin Firming body lotion with copper works -- if you apply daily for a couple of weeks you can see some diffrence. Have to keep using it though! Surprised
sportygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:58 am      Reply with quote
Oh yes.... Bat Wings, every older woman's nightmare! Laughing The only thing that has ever worked for me - push-ups! I am very diligent with the push-ups. I do them almost every day (ladies kind) 3 sets of 20 each. My upper arms are actually pretty firm, but I also notice when I start to slack off (vacations etc.) they'll start to flab out within a week or two. Push-ups are my HG excersise as they also firm up the chest area too, not to mention the nice square shoulders, and you can do them at home in about 3 mins. VERY convenient! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:57 am      Reply with quote
Butterfly sleeves, googly arms and now bat wings!! I'm almost starting to wish I hadn't started this discussion Laughing Laughing

Minx - will have a look-out for that Neutrogena product, although I suspect I may have trouble finding it where I live.

Sporty - that's interesting about the push-ups. I do work out a lot with weights and swimming (in summer) but I absolutely HATE push-ups and haven't done them for years. I'd rather swim a mile than do 20 push-ups...seriously. Maybe I'll have to start including them in my workouts.
sportygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:32 am      Reply with quote
appletini - I also work out 3 days a week at the gym, but nothing has worked better than push-ups for this particular problem. Oh... and I also hate doing them, but I hate the "wings" more!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

5% products discount

Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:32 am      Reply with quote
the only thing is excercise that is the best to firm anything and i mean anything. total gyn bowflex or going to a gym bot you have to sweat to get results
FoxyMama1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:02 pm      Reply with quote
I have the same problem - been doing weights - nothing is helping. I recently started doing wall push-ups - I tried the normal push-ups....and you can guess the rest - almost fell on my face. Can't understand why, as I have alway exercised Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Hopefully, the wall exercises will help - with arms apart, legs together push forward, bringing your weight forward, working the chest and arms. My "what do you call its", are getting firmer. Very Happy Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:15 pm      Reply with quote
appletini--i think it depends on which exercises you do with your weights. i am not sure if firming creams and stuff really work to firm up arms, but then again i really don't know anything about firming skincare.

i have read and am myself a fan of cindy crawford's the next challenge dvd Razz and she has a section where she works the upper arms where she especially targets the wing area--especially compared to other workouts. the secret is to work those muscles because i think they seem to get ignored a lot in normal weight routines.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:11 pm      Reply with quote
I guess it's push-ups for me then.... sigh

It's probably what I need, as I've long suspected that the exercise you hate the most is the one you need the most.
Just did two or three "test push-ups" and they do seem to work the problem area.

skincareaddicted - thanks for the cindy crawford tip. Will try and find some info on this online.
Eve
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:52 am      Reply with quote
push-ups will work the whole upper torso, shoulders, chest, biceps, back and triceps. If you take your arms close to the side it really hits the shoudlers, take the arms wider you'll feel it more in your back. To really hit the back of the arm do dips, sometimes called reverse push ups. This can take quite a bit of strength to the full version. I'll find some photos as its tricky to explain.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:59 am      Reply with quote
http://exercise.about.com/b/a/106218.htm

http://www.theministryoffitness.com/mof/library/anims/bdips.htm

these can also be done sitting on the floor, with your arms just behind your butt, push up and raise your hips, take your weight back a little over your arms and slowly bend & straigten the arms. If you find this too difficult to begin with keep the butt on the floor and learn your weight back then dip.

The good thing about it is by taking your weight forward or back means you can alter the difficulty of the exercise.....it also means you can cheat and not get the best out of the exercise.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:01 am      Reply with quote
For me personally dry body brushing has mad a huge difference Very Happy
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:02 pm      Reply with quote
Best way and combo will be to work out the arms and use any firming lotions that work well. No amount of lotion/serums or what have you alone will give you the results of what exercise can do for you.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:13 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |