Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Blotting paper alternatives?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
xxndnromeoxx
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:26 pm      Reply with quote
Hello everyone, I did a search on blotting paper, and found a couple of alternatives. By blotting paper, I mean the paper that sucks up oil. One of the most popular would be clean and clear paper.

But I was wondering, a couple of cheap alternatives I've read on is using toilet seat coverings. (the waxy paper you get in stalls). Clean ones of course!.

And also, zig zag cig rolling paper.

How do these work? I'm interested in hearing about the toilet seat coverings. Do they really absorb oil well? If so, I think I could find plenty of new ones.

If not then I will continue buying clean and clear Smile.

Thank you for your time.
mtview
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:14 am      Reply with quote
I have tried the toilet seat cover when I was desperate. It did suck up the oil. Another option is perm papers. I don't know if people still use these nowadays though. You can get them really cheap at beauty supply stores.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:56 am      Reply with quote
In a pinch, I've also used regular facial tissues--just separated the two layers of the tissue, then pressed a single ply against the skin. It actually worked quite well. I had the best results with natural (unbleached, undyed) tissues that were a little stiffer and more paper-like.
Janis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:33 am      Reply with quote
Yeah if you have nothing around and your face is an oil slick, it's good to just find some sort of tissue or toilet paper and dab. Never thought about the toilet cover seat thing, though I would consider trying it in a pinch.

As far as subbing the oil blotters with rolling papers, not sure what the point of that would be. They're about the same price so why not just buy the product specifically designed for the purpose? If money is the issue definitely go generic (most drugstores will carry their own cheaper version).

Related story, though: I had my car broken into and some stuff was stolen from it: CDs, cell phone charger... and... curiously, a pack of oil blotters. I have to guess that my thief thought the papers were rolling papers and went home and tried to roll a joint with them... Surprised
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:43 am      Reply with quote
All of those things will definitely work in a pinch, however, I think your best bet ongoing is still just a pack of regular blotting papers.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:34 pm      Reply with quote
I'm currently using Quo Blotting Paper. It costs about $3.50 CAD or so for 50 sheets.
xxndnromeoxx
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:50 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you all for the reply. That's some good advice. The rolling paper is out of the question. I think the clear and clear paper is usually the best. I like how it shows you how much oil it actually blotted up Smile
Janis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:32 pm      Reply with quote
Had to bump this thread because after I read it a couple months ago, I actually started using the toilet seat covers as oil blotters.

It's actually a great trick, if a little weird. (I feel like if anyone saw what I was doing behind the closed stall door, I'd be sent to some sort of asylum on a hill).

I'm the type whose face just collects oil all day long...the toilet seat covers absorb that right up, and are readily available to me all day in my office bathroom!
vacpl
5% products discount

Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:25 am      Reply with quote
I've read this thread several times, and if you're not talking about quick-fix-when-you're-out kind of things. . .

I'm wondering if tissue paper (the kind you use in gift bags) might work. Seems about the same in some ways. Just a thought.
Janis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:34 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm wondering if tissue paper (the kind you use in gift bags) might work. Seems about the same in some ways. Just a thought.

I'm sure it would work -- it has the same texture basically as the toilet seat covers or the blotting papers.

Obviously, the blotting papers are ideal because they're designed for that purpose, but we all get into jams... I know sometimes I'll be out and check myself in the mirror and discover a glistening, oily face...

By the way, I recommend blotter strips from the Body Shop. They have a light powder on them that also helps reduce shine.
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:58 am      Reply with quote
I've tried the ones with the light powder on them and I don't like them, maybe since I don't wear a powder or foundation or what have you. I don't like it on my bare face. I personally prefer just ther regular ones I just usually buy the Clean and Clear pack which are pretty cheap.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:49 pm      Reply with quote
i don't like the ones with powder either..paper toilet or any type of tissue paper works just as well
smqueen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:56 am      Reply with quote
thats so funny.. i use zig zags/rizlas when i am out oil blotters! they only cost like under 1.50 canadian a pack. if you live in the vancouver/richmond area DAISO in aberdeen mall has oil blotter papers for $2. and theres a huge selection.
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:51 am      Reply with quote
I get my blotters from DAISO too!! With their huge packs, they are really value for money. I don't blot as much nowadays since i've started using EM's finishing dust, which is really good for soaking up the oilies.
autumn
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:09 pm      Reply with quote
While I believe cheap blotting papers to be the best for oily skin; I have tried various things in a pinch.

Toilet seat covers do work. Perm papers work but not as well as blotting papers.

I usually use Clean and Clear from J & J. I also tried SDM life brand (about $1.00 or more cheaper) and it looks the same. I can't tell a difference.

I have also used brown Taco Bell napkins and the brown industrial paper towels you sometimes see if in washrooms. These also work.

BTW I am 45 so I am wondering when the oilies will be over.
librarygirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:42 am      Reply with quote
I used to use white tissue paper, the ones used in gift bags, and they were great. I would cut them to manageable sizes and then fold them in my purse. Usually if I bought blotting papers I would have to use about 3 or 4 pieces. With tissue paper, I could use bigger pieces and blot much faster. Works perfect! Cheaper than blotting tissue and works just as good.
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:48 am      Reply with quote
autumn wrote:

BTW I am 45 so I am wondering when the oilies will be over.

Menopause! Shock

My mother was very oily, when she hit it she dried up...

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
DoubleTrouble
5% products discount

Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:46 am      Reply with quote
Hi! I work in an office that supplies toilet
seat covers in the ladies room. I have found
them to be the best face blotters I've ever
used. For convenience though, the Clean & Clear
or other brands that come in a small size, do the
trick.
joani.sp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
I love reading this thread because my sister and I have decided that we can supply the entire world with enough oil to heat the planet! I have used the toilet seat covers also, but find the material that Clean and Clear blotters are made from to be amazing. The problem with them is they are way too small! I need almost a whole package for mid-day shine. So can we figure out what they are made of (synthetic paper?) and start making our own larger ones?! We need a DIY blotter kit!

I'm just about at the dreaded menopause and still sprouting oil like geyser!!! Shock

Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:37 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |