Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
St. Ives Skincare
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
Caspers Mum

Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:55 am      Reply with quote
Just curious if any of you divas enjoy cheapies from this range of products!

Many years ago (teens), I used to use their Firming Mask. My mother once bought a 100ml jar from K-Mart (many years ago!), and I was the one whom used it up! No worries, for it cost about $5.50 for the jar.

I was cruising the isles of my local Shoppers Drugmart yesterday, and saw that St. Ives products were on-sale. Our weather is very warm right now, uncomfortable, and I don't have air-conditioning. My skin feels slick from sweat, the heat-induced excess oil, and the stress that I've been under since my Dad died four weeks ago (I fly back up to Smithers on July 29th, returning Aug. 7th; we're scattering Dad's ashes.).

Lo & behold! I saw that my favorite mask (during my teens) was on-sale this week! $3.99 CDN per 170 ml tube. I read the ingredients, which included a lot of botanicals & kaolin clay .... "good deal"! I also bought a tube of the Apricot Scrub for Oily/Blemished Skin. I have combo. skin, with occasional break-outs. 2% salicylic acid. I could return both to Shoppers if I didn't like them; I am a good customer (they know it, too!).

Scrub: more-abrasive than which I am used-to, and I was HOPING for more of a cooling sensation during this warm weather. Still, my skin feels smooth, and the(normal)darker pores on my nose are invisible. I've never had black-heads on my nose, nor large pores. However, they've ALWAYS seemed to supress excess oil, and a slight bit of "something" always comes out, from each pore. NO MATTER WHAT I DO, or WHICH PRODUCTS I USE!!! It's sweat, oil, and waxy sebum, as far as I'm concerned. Tonight: non-existant. Tomorrow: likely back with a vengeance.

I used both the scrub (while showering) tonight, and followed with the Firming Mask. Skin: feels good. Looks good. For now.

Anyone else out there try St. Ives?
anya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:46 am      Reply with quote
I've been using their Apricot Scrub (Gentle) on my legs before applying fake bake. Even tho its "Gentle" I'd never put it on my face Shock It does a great job on my legs though.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:55 am      Reply with quote
I really like their Radiance Cleanser for Normal/Dry Skin.
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:44 am      Reply with quote
I used to use their stuff quite often years ago before I switched to organic and holistic lines. I've tried a few of their products like their hand creams, facial cleansers, scrubs (face and body)and a couple of different masks. I remember when their products came in these larger tubs that lasted forever so they were really a good deal. I found the scrubs to be too abrasive for my skin, plus the products contain so many synthetic ingredients and preservatives it really put me off. The only product I still have from them and still use is a hair sheen oil. I feel like I'm basically applying a thin layer of silicone over it (which is probably exactly waht I'm doing) but it does help with frizzy fly aways sometimes and gives it a nice sheen when I'm desperate and in a hurry.
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:32 pm      Reply with quote
I've tried the Apricot scrub and the clay mask. I didn't like either one of them. The scrub was waaaaay too rough. The clay mask didn't do anything for me. Sad

Caspers Mum, you should try Queen Helene's Mint Julep scrub. That one is so gentle and it's so refreshing/cooling. I love the Mint Julep mask too. Very Happy
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:58 pm      Reply with quote
Some were saying the scrub tore the skin, that it had appricot kernals in it, but when I read the back of the package, its powder appricot, so I am still confused who the powder can tear your skin? Anyone know.
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:02 pm      Reply with quote
MelissaMarie wrote:
Some were saying the scrub tore the skin, that it had appricot kernals in it, but when I read the back of the package, its powder appricot, so I am still confused who the powder can tear your skin? Anyone know.

Powder? Sure didn't feel like powder. They were rough.
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:47 pm      Reply with quote
I just looked on back at the ingredients at walgreens, and thats what it said. Said appricot powder. I wanted to buy it, I think it was 2.99 , but I didnt because of the tear issue.
my sushi secret
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:04 pm      Reply with quote
I used to use it before self tanning too, since it's so scruby. I stopped when my friend started testing chemicals in products while in cosmetology school. She didn't go into much detail, but said that St. Ives was all around the worst, based on litmus and other tests.

But if it works, why not? Once I found this St. Ives AHA face moisturizer, it was great in the winter when my skin was flaky from the dry air. It cost next to nothing compared to Obagi Exfoderm Forte that I use now, but I haven't seen it in a long time; I found it at Big Lots!
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:58 pm      Reply with quote
I used to use this face wash by St. Ives, had tea tree oil in it, but I don't think they make it anymore. I have a AHA peel by St. Ives that I use occasionally. My skin feels very smooth and looks bright after I use it. My mom swears by the Collagen Elastin face cream in the pink pot. She's used it for YEARS.

But I really like their body care. There's an Oatmeal body wash that's super moisturizing and is great for a shave cream, and the Swiss Vanilla body lotion smells wonderful.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:43 pm      Reply with quote
anya wrote:
I've been using their Apricot Scrub (Gentle) on my legs before applying fake bake. Even tho its "Gentle" I'd never put it on my face Shock It does a great job on my legs though.

great tip, i think i will get some just for that, my fake tanned legs look all splotchy at the moment!

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:39 am      Reply with quote
For those complaining of the scrubs being too abrasive, try to Gentle Apricot scrub instead. I got that in a woman's kit for Christmas, tried it out and fell in love with it. When I was done, I looked for it at Walmart and mistakingly picked up the normal Apricot scrub which didn't do half the job as the gentle kind. Sooo I went back and got what I wanted and haven't stopped using it since. It is much more pasty and soft than the rough, normal stuff. The switchover is worth your while.

I also got the firming masque, but I dunno how to use it Embarassed Can someone explain? it always hardens to my face but its so thin that I have to scrape it off, which isn't good at all. Am I using too little?

The 24 Hour Moisturizer is the best- so soft and creamy for your face and it just sinks right in. So light, and you'll glow too. Gentle Apricot Scrub and 24 Hour Mois is the way to go.
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:17 pm      Reply with quote
I've tried the apricot scrub, it seems decent, but a tad rough for my skin.
Olivia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:15 am      Reply with quote
I must confess...I have used the scrub on my face for years. I stopped after joining this forum because I read all the bad stuff associated. I still love it on my legs...shoulders. I have used a couple of the masks but was never too impressed.
shanno
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:34 pm      Reply with quote
Like many of the posters here, I used the Apricot Scrub ages ago but stopped because I found it too harsh. I recall reading a explanation about exfoliants that seems to apply here. The idea was that it's not so much the size of the granules, it's more the shape. That is, you want the particles in your exfoliant to be rounded and free of sharp edges. That explanation corresponds to my own experience. The large but rounded particles in Dr. Hauschka Cleansing Cream leaves my pores clear and skin feeling refreshed. The rough-edged particles in products like St. Ives, however, left my skin feeling a bit raw.
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:54 pm      Reply with quote
I read on a derm. site that said Apricots in skin care products are not good, They aggravate your skin. I have tried this stuff in the past and it was horrible, to rough and I do not have sensitive skin. Plus I noticed it is creamy and always seems to leave a film on my skin YUCK Shock
Canadian Girl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:57 pm      Reply with quote
I use St. Ive's Clear Pore facial cleanser (with Tea tree oil) and the medicated Apricot Scrub (with salacylic acid). I have been using these products for about 10-12 years and at times switched to other more expensive cleansers/scrubs. But nothing does the job like the ones from St. Ives. My skin is acne prone, but these products do not aggravate it. I especially love the Cleanser!
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:08 pm      Reply with quote
I used their clay mask last week,thought my skin looked good but then my whole face for the last week has been very dry and my whole face was peeling!!
lotus003
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:05 pm      Reply with quote
St. Ive's Aloe Vera body lotion is good for dry and itchy skin during the winter.
lotus003
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:08 pm      Reply with quote
Don't put Apricot scrub on you face ,because it became sensitive in my skin Crying or Very sad
But it great for my back skin Smile
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:10 pm      Reply with quote
I've used the Gentle Apricot Scrub before, but I found it too rough on my skin. It was painful to scrub around nose and mouth area with it and although it wasn't as bad on the rest of my face and neck I could still feel the tugging and scraping on my skin. However, on the other extreme, I find something like Dermalogica Microfoliant so gentle...maybe I'm not used to it yet but I feel like it hardly does any exfoliating as it seems to turn into just white thick liquid on my face. As for the difference Microfoliant makes on skin, I really can't tell (sorry to go off the topic).

Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |