Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Scary Movies
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Poll :: What's your take on scary movies?

I watch scary movies every chance I can. I'm addicted..
18%
 18%  [ 9 ]
I like the occasional rush and will watch a scary movie if it appeals to me.
54%
 54%  [ 26 ]
I've seen a few scary movies and have vowed to never watch them again as they creep me out too much.
14%
 14%  [ 7 ]
No way. Never. I'm way too scared.
12%
 12%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 48

wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:49 pm      Reply with quote
Why do we torture ourselves with scary movies? I just finished watching "The Ring" and although it was giving me goosebumps and totally creeping me out I just couldn't draw myself away. I knew it would scare the crap out of me and I'll probably pay for it tonight as I lie awake in bed cringing at every creak and sound I hear. So why do we do it? What is it that draws us to this sick adrenaline rush? I wouldn't call myself a scary movie fanatic but if I find a storyline that looks interesting I can't help but watch. Anyone else out there that suffers from this self abuse? Anyone addicted? Anyone out there that is too scared to try? Hmmm, let's make this a poll?
Mabsy

Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:02 pm      Reply with quote
Laughing I just watched Scary Movie 3 last night (procrastination) and it parodied much from The Ring and many others. I didn't go to see it at the cinema because after seeing the preview I decided it was too stupid - it *is* stupid but also hilarious if you have seen many of the scary movies Smile

Now, to the scary movies themselves - I often wonder this myself wildflower! Why do I torture myself? Why do I watch something if I know that it will freak me out at night? I have no idea! I guess it's addictive. One of the most unpleasant movies I've seen was probably Event Horizon. I still get flashes of certain scenes from it nowadays...
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:12 pm      Reply with quote
I LOVE scary movies. I have since I was a just a little katie cakes... Laughing

We just watched the remake of THE HILLS HAVE EYES.... OooooooooOOOOOOooooooOOOOOO
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:26 pm      Reply with quote
I fell asleep watching The Ring. I'm a HUGE horror movie fan - American ones don't appeal much as they are more gore than horror. I think one of my faves has to be The Grudge - I saw it in theatres and then I saw it at home a second time. I saw both the American and Japanese version of that, they're a bit difference as the American was a bit more action while the Japanese is more based on building up suspense. The Ring 2 was even worse than the first one - I wouldn't even classify it as a horror movie.

I can't wait until Grudge 2 comes out - the Japanese version has been out since Grudge 1 but I'm too lazy to go out and buy it. Not to mention my BF swears he will NEVER watch Grudge 2 with me after watching Grudge 1 with me in theatres Bad Grin
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:07 am      Reply with quote
I am such a scardy cat when it comes to horror films, I will watch them from time to time if everyone else in the room is but NEVER by myself.
I watched the Ring and had nightmares for the next 2 nights!!! Ghost films especially scare me, I think it is the suspense more than anything.
I have to sit there with a cushion to hide behind and will procede to jump and scream throughout the film much to everyone's amusement, it's even worse now with the surround sound on the TV's!!
The film 'White Noise' really s*** me up, I was convinced there where 3 white figures at the end of my bed for the rest of the week Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:23 am      Reply with quote
I love scary films! Zombies, in particular, are fabulous - bring it on, George A Romero!

The scariest 2 films I've ever seen, both of which gave me awful nightmares, were "The Grudge" (bizarrely, I preferred the US version, whereas I normally much prefer the original Japanese) and "The Vanishing" (definitely not the stupid US version, but the terrifying original Dutch one).

Another good foreign horror (I think they tend to be better than the formulaic Hollywood ones these days) is the Spanish film, "The Devil's Backbone". It's seriously atmospheric.

An old British goodies, that I still find supremely frightening is "Night of the Demon".
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:57 am      Reply with quote
I love SOME scary movies ... I love any of the zombie movies (Night of the Living Dead and such) or all vampire movies (LOVE them) and the monster movies (werewolves, etc.). But I can't watch many of the possession movies or usually any ghost movies. If I do end up having to watch one (ie. my SO decides he wants to see it), I'll put my hands over my eyes at the parts I don't want to see, or if it's scary sounds, I'll put my fingers in my ears and go "la la la la la" so I can't hear it. Laughing Those kind of movies end up scaring me too much and I have to sleep with the lights on. Smile

One of my favourites was a zombie movie ... Shaun of the Dead. Oh my gosh, that was SOOOOO funny!!!! Really well done. And my all time favourite vampire movie I think is Lost Boys.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:44 am      Reply with quote
I LOVE scary movies--- I think it's the adrenaline rush, like when you lose your stomach on a roller coaster. Personally, I prefer scary movies that create a really scary atmosphere instead of just being ultra-visceral, like for example The Ring, Wes Craven's They, The Sixth Sense, The Village, etc. That being said, I was totally grossed out by the Saw movies, but I totally loved them too.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:00 am      Reply with quote
I watch them all, but they don't really "scare" me that much, and I never lose any sleep after watching them. I actually pretty much forget about them afterwards. My Mom is the same way, but then nothing really scares her, so maybe I got it from her! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:00 am      Reply with quote
katee wrote:
I LOVE scary movies. I have since I was a just a little katie cakes... Laughing

We just watched the remake of THE HILLS HAVE EYES.... OooooooooOOOOOOooooooOOOOOO

I'm with you Katee, I LOVE scary movies! Although I saw this one in the theater and it was a so over the top that everyone had to laugh at it. It went from scary to just silly.

The scariest movie of all time for me is "Fire in the Sky", which is that alien abduction movie based on a true story. I don't know why but aliens get me the most. Ghosts are a close second though.
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:52 am      Reply with quote
I'm noticing a trend where some genres scare some but do nothing for others. For ex, I love vampire movies too and don't usually consider them scary, just entertaining. Same goes with alien movies. I agree with Tamgirl, "Fire in the Sky" was a great movie, didn't scare me, but very well done. I tend to get scared when there is a general creepy feeling, an aura of suspense or mystery, when there is an element of surprise. Gore just sickens me and doesn't scare me at all but an unexpected turn of events or an "I know it's going to happen but when" feeling really gets my heart pumping. It's hard to explain. Ghost movies usually scare the s*** out of me and so do really "dark" situations and atmospheres. I remember getting a thrill from watching the Twin Peaks series. It was so well done. It always gave me the heebeejeebies but I didn't get really scared until the last few minutes in the very last episode when FBI agent Dale Cooper looks in the mirror and "Bob" is staring back. I actually screeched out loud. (Why they would air the last 2 hr episode at 1:00 am is beyond me. Sickos. LOL) I just had to laugh at myself afterwards for being scared stupid. I wish they'd bring some shows back to TV like Twin Peaks or X Files. You know, the intellectually frightening kind that really makes you think and ponder and analyse until you just can't bear it anymore. There's just something about the supernatural that does it for me.
lin23
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:50 am      Reply with quote
My scariest ones are 3 good oldies:

Stephen King's "Shining" (i was already scared when i read the book and still scared watching the film...)
"Aracnophobia" and "Alien" (the first one, directed by Ridley Scott)
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:33 pm      Reply with quote
I can't watch horror movies. I'm way too wimpy. I saw the Shining a couple of months ago on TV and that was sooooh creepy. Sad
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:56 pm      Reply with quote
I watched a Korean horror movie the other day. I shouldn't have coz I can't bring myself to go to the washroom in the middle of the night.
FrevaKZ
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:13 pm      Reply with quote
lin23 wrote:
My scariest ones are 3 good oldies:

Stephen King's "Shining" (i was already scared when i read the book and still scared watching the film...)
"Aracnophobia" and "Alien" (the first one, directed by Ridley Scott)

Oh geez, I rented that the other day, don't say that, haha. (The Shining, that is)
cloud_9
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:41 pm      Reply with quote
I hate, hate, hate scary movies. Especially the kind that have stuff that jumps out of you, or the really creepy psychological ones. But the 80's straight up blood and guts don't bother me, they just seem silly.On the other hand, I can't bring myself to watch even the commercials for Saw or the Hostel. Laughing
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:30 am      Reply with quote
I saw Saw 2 - those are more blood and gore category. Same with hostel - it creeps ppl out on the PAIN factor more than actually SCARING ppl. I don't like that as much because it's not realistic unless you end up on a date with a serial killer. However ghost movies are the ones where you NEVER know which ends up on my scale with a higher-rating scare factor Very Happy
Olyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:32 am      Reply with quote
I don't know why I watch scary movies. I have a Very overactive imagination and as a result, severely intense dreams/nightmares. If I am watching a scary movie with a particularly gross part coming on, I actually close my eyes or else when I lay down to go to sleep and shut my eyes I can perfectly envision whatever the gory/scary part was. So I usually don't watch them...but every once in a while I get in the mood to see one and end up watching one, because I am a moron. Rolling Eyes
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:10 am      Reply with quote
sormuimui wrote:
I saw Saw 2 - those are more blood and gore category. Same with hostel - it creeps ppl out on the PAIN factor more than actually SCARING ppl. I don't like that as much because it's not realistic unless you end up on a date with a serial killer. However ghost movies are the ones where you NEVER know which ends up on my scale with a higher-rating scare factor Very Happy

I totally agree. That's why alien and ghost movies scare me the most. It's that fear of the unknown, especially when you're not really sure what to believe about either of them. The other ones that are blood/gore that do get to me are when they're "based on true events".

By the way, I just watched Hostel last weekend and that was more T&A than I ever wanted to see.
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:54 am      Reply with quote
TAMgirl99 wrote:
The other ones that are blood/gore that do get to me are when they're "based on true events".

I just had to post a reply ... I SOOOO am like that too! There was one movie commercial I'd been watching on tv and I said to my SO "that looks pretty good". But as soon as it said at the end "based on a true story" ... I was like "I'm not going to see that!". Laughing I don't want to know it's even remotely based on reality, because then it really IS too scary!! I think it might have been some movie about a haunting (which usually I don't like to see, but the commercial had looked pretty cool).
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:17 pm      Reply with quote
I hate scary movies. I can't even watch the Grudge in broad daylight. I was just listening to it while flipping channels seeing what was on and it creeped me out. When I saw The Sixth Sense for the first time, I couldn't sleep for three days and that's not even really a horror movie. Yes, I am a very big WUSS!! Laughing
Rufus
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:50 pm      Reply with quote
majorb wrote:
Another good foreign horror (I think they tend to be better than the formulaic Hollywood ones these days) is the Spanish film, "The Devil's Backbone". It's seriously atmospheric.

Ahh, Guillermo del Toro, who also made Blade 2, Mimic, Hellboy, Cronos, Pan's Labyrinth (haven't seen that one yet). He does the best DVD commentaries I've ever listened to. Devil's Backbone has a sad quality to it that gets you every time.

The latest movie mentioned was the remake of The Hills have Eyes (survival story basically). This remake is from the original Wes Craven movie of the same name and was prominently mentioned in the Commentary for the film "High Tension" by the Alexandre Aja & Grégory Levasseur (writer directors).

I love the horror genre and it has a place in our society as you can deal with subjects using metaphor without getting too personal.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:40 am      Reply with quote
And I thought I was the only horror geek! Laughing

I haven't seen "Pan's Labyrinth" either, but will make sure I do now.

I absolutely must ask if you've seen the original "The Vanishing" and, if so, whether it blew you away as much as it did me?
ellyp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:51 am      Reply with quote
I can't handle scary movies AT ALL!! I saw the "Fire in the Sky" years ago and it STILL creeps my out! Shock I had the same reaction to The Sixth Sense. Amazingly, my husband and I had completely missed all the hype and talk about that movie when it came out. We rented it and BOY, were we surprised!!!! I think I will avoid that director's movies in the future until I know more about them...
Rufus
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:32 am      Reply with quote
majorb wrote:
And I thought I was the only horror geek! Laughing
I absolutely must ask if you've seen the original "The Vanishing" and, if so, whether it blew you away as much as it did me?

To think that George Sluizer directed both movies tells you how studios can dictate outcomes for the 'product'. The original Dutch version of 'The Vanishing' is horrific in that there is no resolution and that an evil man can continue to operate unknown because people like to think that a killer should be easy to recognize. The killer in the Dutch version gets away with murder because most regular folks can remain in denial until the truth hits them in a way they can't ignore. I'd say rent or buy the original movie and consider the remake a shadow of what was a truly frightening film.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:57 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |