Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skincare advice before my cruise!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:01 am      Reply with quote
I need some advice. I know when you use retinol, you should stop using it at least a week before you're going to be in the sun a lot (like my cruise). But I don't know what the rules are with AHA/BHA's. I'm currently using the following products in my routine (with some others but they don't have exfoliants so I'm not including them here):

1% BHA cleanser
12.5% AHA cream 1-2x/day
2% BHA/retinol cream 1x/day

I'm definitely cutting out the one with retinol in it, but what about the others? Do I need to stop using both of them now (since I'm 1 week out from my trip) or just the week of? Or do you think the cleanser and/or AHA is mild enough that I can use it on my trip, as long as I keep applying my Sofina sunscreen? I'm not planning to tan my face at all on this trip, but I don't want to risk any further damage since I'll be in the water/sun a lot. At the same time, these products really make my skin look it's best and I'm afraid that if I don't use them I'll be looking pretty haggard by the end of my trip. I'm so confused on what to do. Please help! Thanks in advance!

Kelli
Seeking~HG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:34 am      Reply with quote
I didn't know you are supposed to stop using certain products prior to being in the sun a lot. Personally, I would be afraid to discontinue products that were working for me, especially since travel usually wreaks havoc with my skin. I would just continue the same routine, but make sure to apply sunscreen more frequently and make sure to clean my face thoroughly each night.
BTW--Where are you going? Oh, and have a WONDERFUL time!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:48 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Seeking~HG! We're going on the Royal Caribbean ship Rhapsody of the Seas out of Galveston/Houston. It's a 7 nighter and we leave Sunday and stop in Key West, FL, Grand Caymans and Cozumel. This is actually my second time on this exact trip, but it's so affordable (if you close enough to drive) that we're doing it again. The stops are great so I don't mind repeating them.

And yes, most will advise to discontinue retinol products at least 1 week before since they make your skin extremely sensitive to the sun. I'm just not sure how much more sensitive AHA/BHA's make you.
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:55 am      Reply with quote
I just found this statement on Alpha Hydrox's website (since that's the AHA product I'm using):

Quote:
SUNBURN ALERT: Alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) may increase skin's sensitivity to the sun and particularly the possibility of sunburn. While using products that contain AHAs and for a week afterwards, use sunscreen and limit sun exposure.

So I guess that answered my question. Any other opinions on BHA's? I would think the cleanser would be okay.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:00 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |