Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

The best brush for MMU
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
jumpingball
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:01 am      Reply with quote
I've got the samples of Everyday Minerals alone with their baby kabuki brush. So far I like the samples, but it seems to me that their baby kabuki is not the best brush to use. So, I need suggestions for MMU brushes. Eh?

Thank you.
makeupfiend
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:28 am      Reply with quote
Good post, jumpingball! I was just going to start a similar topic. I have the kubuki brush from Bare Escentuals and it seems lacking to me as well. It's kind of prickly and I feel like some of my skin irritation could be reduced if it was a little softer! I was at Sephora the other day and Smashbox had a REALLY REALLY soft brush, but it was $52!!!! I have a hard time justifying that big of an expense!
jumpingball
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:49 am      Reply with quote
Makeupfriend, I just found the comparative review of the brushes on a a'squirrel website. Even though we have to take it with a grain of salt, it's interesting to take a look.Smile
http://www.a-squirrel.com/makeup-brush-brands-compare.html
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:08 am      Reply with quote
makeupfiend wrote:
Good post, jumpingball! I was just going to start a similar topic. I have the kubuki brush from Bare Escentuals and it seems lacking to me as well. It's kind of prickly and I feel like some of my skin irritation could be reduced if it was a little softer! I was at Sephora the other day and Smashbox had a REALLY REALLY soft brush, but it was $52!!!! I have a hard time justifying that big of an expense!

That Smashbox brush should be brush 19 - Face and Body Brush. It is very soft and dense indeed and I have recently just purchased it. MUA raves about the Bobbi Brown Kabuki (face brush) which is also on my purchase list. I also find Japonesque brushes very soft and they also have a nice kabuki at slightly cheaper prices.
Gelc
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:11 am      Reply with quote
maybe you can have a try of Jane Iredale brushes. i've brought a set. their hair are so smooth.
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:16 am      Reply with quote
sormuimui wrote:
makeupfiend wrote:

That Smashbox brush should be brush 19 - Face and Body Brush. It is very soft and dense indeed and I have recently just purchased it. MUA raves about the Bobbi Brown Kabuki (face brush) which is also on my purchase list. I also find Japonesque brushes very soft and they also have a nice kabuki at slightly cheaper prices.

I've been eyeing those Japonesque brushes for a while when I walk into Ulta 3, but I can't seem to put forth the money for just a brush (sighs)
jumpingball
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:16 am      Reply with quote
Did anybody try Bella brushes?
http://www.bellabrush.com/
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:57 am      Reply with quote
One of my favourite brushes for MMU ... particularly for foundation, is a fiber optic brush ... or "skink brush" as some people call them.

I got mine very inexpensively from Essential Beauty Supply

http://www.essentialbeautysupplies.com/

and it's the only brush I use for foundation!

Because of its nature, it picks up less product and disperses it with a light hand ... without even trying! Laughing I found that this is very important for the application of minerals. Laughing

I also use it for applying finishing powder and or highlighting powders.

I'd use it for my blush/bronzers as well ... but I hate having to clean it after every blush application! Laughing

I've toyed with getting another one ... just for blushes!

I've also had very good luck purchasing taklon brushes in the art department of Michael's. They are much less expensive than at the beauty counter ... and the range is wonderful! Very Happy

I've also purchased "mop" brushes in the art department ... very soft ... very effective ... and far less expensive.

Good luck

Mary

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:44 pm      Reply with quote
Mary, thanks for the answer. How this brush feels on your skin? Is it soft enough? Can you compare it with some kabuki brushes? Smile
jumpingball
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:49 pm      Reply with quote
Gelc wrote:
maybe you can have a try of Jane Iredale brushes. i've brought a set. their hair are so smooth.

Gelc, which one do you like the best for mineral foundation, handi, powder, or dome brush?
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:55 pm      Reply with quote
hpjrt

I may have to take your advice and try the art dept at the local Michaels...thanks!!!! Very Happy
cincygal
5% products discount

Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:25 pm      Reply with quote
I love using my Flat Top brush. It's small, has about a 4" handle so it's easier to hold than a kabuki, imo. It's a dense, chunky flat top and I actually prefer using it over my kabuki because it blends better, and it's easier to hold. I love it! I found mine on eBay for $12.99. Wink
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:02 pm      Reply with quote
Hi jumpingball,

It's so soft ... you barely feel it on your skin when you apply your MMU! It's honestly one of the nicest brushes I've ever used ... and it helps me to not apply too much MMU foundation! Laughing

So it doesn't compare to a kabuki at all. Kabuki's apply more product and are much denser brushes than the fiber optic ones.

I compared the one I got from Essential Beauty Supply with the Lancome one ... which retails for a heck of a lot more ... and the only difference was the handle ... mine has a shorter grey handle ... the Landome one has a longer dark blue [I think] handle. Otherwise they looked and felt the same.

Hi ariesxtreme

Wait until you see the number and variety of art brushes out there! Laughing The only real difference is that the handles on the art brushes are longer ... to accommodate painting on canvas etc. However, for the price difference ... well ... I'll go for the longer handle! Laughing
HTH
Mary

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:56 pm      Reply with quote
The original post was not mine, but I use the Jane Iredale Handi Brush to apply her pressed base - it is super soft, and I find that it works well, but, it was the first brush that I bought when I switched to mineral make-up so I don't have a comparison to offer. On the other hand, I don't see any reason to go looking for something else, I am totally happy with this brush and it has held up well - it is over a year old and still in good condition, I have never found that it has shed, and it recovers well from being washed (and blow dried, bad, I know, but when I need my brush, I need it)
Mabsy

Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:38 am      Reply with quote
I swear by my Jane Iredale Handi brush. It is by far the best brush I have tried (and I have and love my A'Squirrel brushes) to apply mineral makeup.

I also bought the Everyday Minerals baby kabuki. It's actually pretty good for applying the MMU but it's still shedding like crazy at the moment...
dede
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:24 am      Reply with quote
I use a large kabuki brush that I bought from Sephora. After the shedding was finished (it seems all kabuki brushes shed a lot), I love it. I also just placed an order w/everyday minerals and got their professional foundation brush, which I'm anxious to try as well.
jumpingball
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:44 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy, do you use the handi brush for everything?
Mabsy

Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:12 am      Reply with quote
jumpingball wrote:
Mabsy, do you use the handi brush for everything?

Well, I know I shouldn't but, yeah, pretty much Embarassed I mainly use it to apply mineral makeup (especially of the pressed variety) but started using it to apply just normal pressed blush powder as well. Also, I use it to apply Jurlique Silk Dust sometimes too. I wash it frequently but I should really have separate ones - especially for the blush...
jumpingball
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:41 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy, I can see you use it mainly for pressed things. I'm wondering whether it would be good for applying mineral foundation and finishing dust. hmm
nomoreneckpain
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:42 am      Reply with quote
jumpingball, I use mmu, different brands. I had BE brushes left over from when I used their mmu, both hair and taklon.I still use the taklon and the eye liner brushes, but for mmu foundation I use kabuki and large dome powder brushes from essential beauty supply online, the prices and quality are great, so is cs and shipping time. I also got a dense flat top that I use for bronzer and sometimes for blusher. I did buy the fiber optic eye and blusher faces, I don't use them as much, only when the color is too dark and I need a lighter hand applying. Currently I'm not looking to add to my collection but always am a sucker for a great brush.HTH
jumpingball
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:02 am      Reply with quote
Tnanks, Nomoreneckpain, it really helps. Smile
Mabsy

Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:23 pm      Reply with quote
jumpingball wrote:
Mabsy, I can see you use it mainly for pressed things. I'm wondering whether it would be good for applying mineral foundation and finishing dust. hmm

No, no. I do use it with loose powders as well. The Jurlique is a loose setting powder. I have used it with other loose MMU as well but I like it in particular for pressed because it has a FLAT base so it picks up the pressed MMU evenly. It is simply a fabulous brush! Smile
jumpingball
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:30 am      Reply with quote
Tnank you, Mabsy.Smile
whimsy
5% products discount

Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:48 am      Reply with quote
Hi, this is a great thread, as I am about to jump into the mineral makeup trend too Very Happy
I am mostly trying to find out what brushes people use for the foundation, any MAC or BB brushes you would recommend?

dede- how are you liking your everyday minerals foundation brush?

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:49 am      Reply with quote
I have the a'squirrel kabuki and I looove it. So soft and allows me to buff my MMU in very well.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:54 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |