Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Green Cream vs. Dicaneal vs. Exfol A -- Best OTC retinoid?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
spa_cake
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
OK, so I've tried Green Cream and it's wonderful except for that it left my skin shiny.

I have just ordered Dicaneal, which is supposed to be a slightly stronger retinoid.

I am also considering Vivant's Exfol A.

Anyone have experience with these retinoids?
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:49 am      Reply with quote
spa_cake I use Differin and have no experience with the prodcuts you mention. However, I would be interested to know how the Green Cream compares to the Avene. Could you please post your comparison of the two after you have tried the Diacneal? Also what strenght Green Cream are you using? TIA
spa_cake
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:07 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah, will do.

I've also found another potent retinoid:

Cosmedix Refine 4% is a trans-retinol serum as potent as Retinoic Acid. It is chirally corrected to reduce irritation and photo sensitivity with increased effectiveness. Improves skin's texture, firmness and smoothness. Essential for the function and generation of skin cells and collagen/elastin production. Helps break up hyperpigmentation. Comparable to .05 Retinoic Acid. A night time anti-aging miracle! 4oz

Benefits: Increases cellular turnover, Less irritation/redness than with other retinoids, Stimulates collagen/elastin/GAG production, Reduces fine lines/signs of aging, Improves skin texture and color, Anti-acne/anti-bacterial/anti-sebum.

Indications: Acne blemished skin/Rosacea, Hyperpigmentation/Melasma, Sun damaged?stressed skin (face and body), Fine lines and wrinkles, Enlarged pores/clogged pores.

Ingredients L-Retinol A™, Cassia Betaglycan,L- Sodium Lactate, L-Proline, L-Sodium PCA, L-Sodium Hyaluronate, L-Lactic Acid, D-Glucuronic.
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:23 pm      Reply with quote
I tried writing a response earlier but it didn't go through. Confused Anyway, I was just saying that the higher the retinoid the more shininess you're going to see since it provides more exfoliation (removing the top dull layer). I had this problem with retin-a micro but haven't with GC6. Good luck!
spa_cake
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:03 pm      Reply with quote
Did the shininess subside over time?
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:23 pm      Reply with quote
Actually I think the shininess with Green Cream is down to 'film formers' in the product rather than the retinoid action. I've used Retin A, Green Cream and Ystheal and it's only GC I get that sheen with and it's immediate, from day one.

I'm interested in the milder retinoids too Spa-cake, but I can't find people who've used them so please do post back if you try the others. I especially liked the look of the Vivant line too.
spa_cake
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
Just got my Diacneal in today Bad Grin

I have used a milder retinol before GC and did not experience any shine. A lot of other people have reported shine with GC but stayed with it for months and commented on how the shine subsided. I simply can't wait months for my skin to adjust to GC (if it ever will).
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:16 am      Reply with quote
When I use GC, I only use it at night, but I'm not sure it agrees with my skin so I may try another. Teh cosmedix one looks nice and clean

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:49 pm      Reply with quote
So I've used Diacneal twice now and it's AMAZING

It's less moisturizing than GC (probably why GC has a shine) and there is no shine so far!
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:26 am      Reply with quote
Can you post the ingredients of the diacneal? Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:08 am      Reply with quote
guapagirl wrote:
Can you post the ingredients of the diacneal? Smile

Water, Cetyl Alcohol, Cyclomethicone, Polysorbate 60, Glycolic Acid, Avene Thermal Water, Alcohol, Sodium Hydroxide, BHT, Dimethiconol, Fragrance, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Potassium Sorbate, Red 33 (CI 17200), Retinal
spa_cake
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:59 pm      Reply with quote
I will test all of these:

RETINALDEHYDE:

-Diacneal (retinaldehyde 0.1% w/ glycolic acid)
This is what I'm currently using and loving. I've been using this for about 4 days now so I don't want to comment further. So far, so good.

-Avene Ystheal Gel (0.05% retinaldehyde)
----------------------------------------------------

RETINOL:

-Skinceuticals Retinol (retinol 1% and 0.5%)

-PSF Retinol Nite Repair (retinol 1% and 0.5)

-Green Cream (retinol 0.3%, 0.6%, and 0.9%)
I really love this stuff. I have dry-normal skin and the first time I slipped GC (level 3) onto my skin, it loved it! My skin was smooth and clogged pores vanquished. Everything was fine except for that it left my skin with a shiny film. Rolling Eyes Grrreat! Apparently if you stick with the GC for months, the 'shiny skin' dissipates, but I didn't want to wait. I also tried a sample of Level 6 and experienced no irritation.

-AFIRM (retinol 0.15%, 0.3% and 0.5%)

-Replenix Retinol Smoothing Serum 10x (0.1% + green tea)

-La Roche-Posay BioMedic Retinol (0.15%, 0.30% and 0.60%)

-Jan Marini Factor A Plus Lotion (Retinol + GA)
------------------------------------------------------

MISC:

Vivant Derm-A-Gel (0.05 % retinyl proprionate)

Vivant Exfol A (0.1 % retinyl proprionate + AHA's)

Cosmedix Refine (L-Retinol 0.4% and 0.8%)

Avene Retinal (0.1%)

Neova Dual Action Lotion

SkinMedica Retinol Complex (Retinyl Pa Imitate, Retinyl Acetate and Retinol)

Retinol Energizing Moisturizer by DDF

RETINOL ACTIF PUR Anti-Wrinkle Night Moisturizing Treatment by RoC

Bad Grin
Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:01 pm      Reply with quote
Are any of these products as good/strong as Renova?
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:28 pm      Reply with quote
Hi tosca
There is a study here which compares the effectiveness of Retinaldehyde with Retin A 0.05% and it compares very favourably, though slightly less effective.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=9843009
I'm using Ystheal and I can see it working, but not as effectively as Retin A. I might move up to the Diacneal which has double the Retinaldehyde. On the plus side I can feel less irritation in the sun than I did with Retin A or Green Cream.
I found the above study from the following two notepads on MUA. The first is an in depth essay about retinoids and the second a breakdown of all the Avene retinaldehyde products. Interesting reading if you have the time.
http://www.makeupalley.com/user/notepad/tetrakis
http://www.makeupalley.com/user/notepad/beethovengirl/
HTH Molly Cool
Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:11 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, Molly! I'll check them out.
spa_cake
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:41 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I'm back to using Green Cream again, although I do not use it every night (I alternate nights with Mandelic Acid and Serious Skin Care A-Cream).

For MY skin, the Diacneal just isn't as potent as the Green Cream is. For some reason, I see results instantly with Green Cream, and it's very moisturizing to my dry-combo skin...perhaps the aloe vera gel in GC is responsible? I'd use it nightly but it does leave a shiny film! I don't know why GC is working better than Diacneal, but Avene claims Diacneal is more suited for oily, acne-prone skin. I have dry-combo skin. I'm going to try Ystheal cream/gel next, along with Skinceuticals Retinol and PSF Retinol Nite Repair.

So now my current regimen is:

AM:
Dr. H's Cleansing Milk (still testing various cleansers)
Red Tea Moisturizer

PM:
Dr. H's Cleansing Milk
Alternate with: Green Cream/Serious Skin Care A-Cream/Mandelic Acid
Emu Oil/HA

I'll try all the retinols currently available though! Bad Grin
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:47 pm      Reply with quote
Is green cream like Retin-A? Is it stronger, weaker?
spa_cake
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:53 pm      Reply with quote
Anna_in_Sweden wrote:
Is green cream like Retin-A? Is it stronger, weaker?

Yes, GC is *like* Retin-A but not as strong... stronger is not always better!

Green Cream is Retinol, which eventually converts to Retinoic Acid.

Retin-A is pure Retinoic Acid.

Retinol is far less irritating with similar results.

Green Cream is different from other Retinols because of its bottle. Sunlight and air are never introduced into its packaging which preserves the potency of the fragile retinol.

Quote:
The packaging Green Cream® uses is extremely important to maintaining the potency of the active ingredient retinol. Retinol breaks down quickly if it is exposed to air or light. The Green Cream® package is an airless pump which never introduces air into the chamber. This allows Green Cream® to maintain its high potency levels. The packaging is also opaque to keep light rays from breaking down the retinol.

I haven't tried the other Retinols yet, so GC may not be the best for my skin, but it is currently! Bad Grin
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:03 pm      Reply with quote
Okay, thank you. I am currently using Retin-A .50% and I thought that maybe green cream was a stronger Retin-A cream.
Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:52 pm      Reply with quote
I got some samples of the Green Cream, and after two days, I feel like my skin is a little brighter. Of course, at this point, it's probably just my imagination. I really do like it, though. I started with the 3% to see how I would react, but I also have the 6%. So far, there's no irritation or shiny film, but I feel like I could live with either for a while to get the effect I think I'm seeing.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:51 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |