Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
rosaceans, unite!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
elizasue
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:39 am      Reply with quote
Hi I am relatively new to this forum, but I love it already. I have searched thru the threads for Rosacea sufferers, and there are fewer than I thought there would be, given the prevalence of the disease. I thought I might start a thread for us rosy faced people to share what works, what doesnt't. I know rosacea is radically different for each person, but sometimes it's nice to try stuff(or not) based on another's experiences.
So, to start off...

Things that have worked for me
Metro gel - I know it isn't always popular to use antibiotics regularly, and I'm not crazy about it myself, but it really has been a life saver
purpose gentle cleansing wash - for years, the only cleanser I could use - doesn't do much, but doesn't irritate either
physical sunblock - gotta love that titanium dioxide!
Dermalogica ultracalming cleanser - a new find - I am in love!
Citrix antioxidant toner - vitamin C based
Dermalogica microfoliant - another new find, not sure how much I will be able to use, but seems to be a cautious YAY!

Things I am waiting on to try
Vitamin C serum(PSF 12%)
Dermalogica ultrasensitive sunblock
jojoba oil(I can be a little oily)
PSF R and R toner
I may also try OCM - any rosaceans who use?

Things I cannot use
cetephil(surprising, but true)
neostrata(another surprise)
B. Kamins anything - makes me swell up and turn red
any chemical sunblock
neutrogena face soaps of any kind
clinique anything
any toner with alcohol or witch hazel
ACV toner

Last indespensible item - a really good dermatologist who understands rosacea! I have a great one, and she has been wonderful. I would also suggest for women using a woman derm - in my experience they seem more understanding about how menstrual cycles, etc affect your face!

OK, I'm still looking for my HG items, so any others with stuff that works/doesn't? C'mon, you know you want to share Smile
BBD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:54 am      Reply with quote
I'm not sure if I have rosacea, but I have a lot of problems with redness and sensitivity, and enlarged pores on my nose. So even if it's not rosacea, it looks pretty close.

I stopped breaking out much a few years ago (I'm 4Cool, but my skin is definitely combination rather than dry.

Anyway, lately I have just really wanted to try to address the redness issue. I recently started using the Seabuckthorn Berry Soap fromwww.seabuckthorn.com, and it really, really helps with the redness. I haven't had any breakouts, and my skin is closer to peaches and cream than it has been in a long time. I'm using it twice a day now, and I'm getting some of the Seabuckthorn Seed Oil soon.

Their website has a lot of information about rosacea, but it's also hard to navigate. I wound up just emailing them and asking for recommendations. Also, if you live in Canada their products are relatively easy to get online or in person (esp. in BC) but if you are in the US shipping costs are very high.

Hope this helps.
Dianne
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:11 am      Reply with quote
I have found IPL's a life-saver for my rosacea. After 4 fulls and a partial, it is a fraction of what it used to be. Obagi sensitive wash is excellant, along IS Proheal. Also, occasionally I found that the Obaji Active is great for a flare up. I avoid too spicey foods, red wine and hot, hot water on my face. Some MMU's make it flare up so I've had to have a trial period as to what works for me, so far the True is all I can use.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:44 pm      Reply with quote
I'm curious about this IPL treatment - I (thanks to my dermatologist) do not have many broken capillaries, and my struggle is mainly about maintenance and preventing irritation. She was really proactive(so was my mom - I was diagnosed at 20 and she made me head to the doctor's quicker than I would have gone on my own), so I fortunately don't have much damage. As I understand it, the IPLs treat damage that already exists. But does it do anything to help you control the disease - since it is a lifelong condition?
mimiek
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:58 pm      Reply with quote
My mom has rosacea, she is using a cream called Rozex but it doesn't help that much. Lately I recommended her to use organic aloe vera gel that I'm also using on my face and neck, few days after using aloe vera gel she noticed a difference. Her skin is not as red as before and there is less irritation. But she is not free from rosacea and the doc said there is no cure, is that true?
Charmed1
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:42 pm      Reply with quote
It is true, there is no cure. There are many things that can be done to prevent flare - ups, though. I am fifty and mine got progressively worse with age. Sun damage really exacerbates rosacea. So the basics are a gentle cleanser and a non-chemical sunscreen. I am currently using Sisley Restorative Facial Cream and a Prescribed Solutions Cleanser with an anti - inflammatory, that I get at the office of my dermatologist. I, too, have had laser treatment with a V-Beam; this has made a significant improvement in my complexion. Sunscreens are really difficult, as it is hard to find your HG (they are necessary, but...), many cause irritation. Zinc-O by Linda Sy is highly recommended for rosacea but, it gave me cystic acne Sad (I am embarrassed to say that I currently wear a wide - brimmed hat Exclamation ).
I commend the above poster (elizasue)
for taking care to treat her skin properly from an early age; this will make a huge difference Wink
I have learned to avoid scrubs, microdermabrasion, Retin A type products, water that is too warm, etc, etc.
Thank you for starting this post ~ it is always good to know what works for others.

IPL is very good, even without visible damage, as it is supposed to treat the disease at the vascular level (where it supposedly begins) and prevent it from getting worse ~ it is supposed to be the closest thing to a cure that exists at this time.
PocoLoco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:15 pm      Reply with quote
I wonder if there are any chemical sunscreens that are deemed 'safe' or 'safe enough' for rosaceans? I think I have rosacea, although I haven't been formally diagnosed. I like the idea of a high PPD sunscreen.

For me, I do best when I stick to my Rosehipseed cleanser (DianaYvonne.com), Exfol serum (DiannaYvonne or SkinBiology.com), Copper Peptide serum (same vendors), and emu oil.

When I try to use retinoids or products with alcohol in them, my skin gets worse. Same with any cleanser that has detergents in it. My skin totally cleared up with the above regimen, though. I learned about these products from "The Debbie" over there at the Skincareboard (she is no longer there). But she cured her own rosacea with these products--complete remission, anyway. She had had no luck whatsoever with metrogel, antibiotics, and the other things her dermatologist recommended.
gserchi
5% products discount

Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:46 pm      Reply with quote
I also have rosacea. I think that the most effective treatments are prescription creams, such as Rosula, Metro-Gel, and Azelaic acid (can't remember the brand name for that). I would not waste my time with special creams and potions that are non-prescription, b/c they will have nowhere near the clinical effectiveness of a prescription cream (that has been tested and generally proven).

Just a note about what i personally use-- i see that others avoid chemical sunscreens, and I'm not sure why. It doesn't make me have a flare-up, and I've never had a reaction to it....why do others avoid it?

I use azelaic acid once a day (though my derm said it should be 2x/day), and I sort of notice a difference. the thing w/ rosacea is that it doesn't happen overnight, and the treatments don't work overnight. It's really a slowly progressing thing, so over the course of 20 years or so (this is my guess, my expectation), you go from having lovely rosy cheeks to have a perpetually ruddy complexion. That'll be a bummer. Supposedly these prescription creams prevent the ruddiness *over the long term*-- I mean like over 10 years or so. This is what I've been told-- anyone hear anything different?

I blush like hell-- when I laugh, when I'm angry, when I'm embarassed, when I'm happy, and of course this is nothing I can prevent, but is a big source of my rosy cheeks! Do others have this too?
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:07 pm      Reply with quote
elizasue wrote:
I'm curious about this IPL treatment - I (thanks to my dermatologist) do not have many broken capillaries, and my struggle is mainly about maintenance and preventing irritation. She was really proactive(so was my mom - I was diagnosed at 20 and she made me head to the doctor's quicker than I would have gone on my own), so I fortunately don't have much damage. As I understand it, the IPLs treat damage that already exists. But does it do anything to help you control the disease - since it is a lifelong condition?

I was diagnosed at 18 and got ipls...my skin is not perfect but neither is the skin of most people I see. My flares are so minimal now (opposed to them being constant before), even in the hottest weather I have noticed my skin doesn't flush like it used to. It's been more than a year and my skin is really being nice to me for once. I hope it keeps up.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:13 pm      Reply with quote
gserchi wrote:
I also have rosacea. I think that the most effective treatments are prescription creams, such as Rosula, Metro-Gel, and Azelaic acid (can't remember the brand name for that). I would not waste my time with special creams and potions that are non-prescription, b/c they will have nowhere near the clinical effectiveness of a prescription cream (that has been tested and generally proven).

Just a note about what i personally use-- i see that others avoid chemical sunscreens, and I'm not sure why. It doesn't make me have a flare-up, and I've never had a reaction to it....why do others avoid it?

I use azelaic acid once a day (though my derm said it should be 2x/day), and I sort of notice a difference. the thing w/ rosacea is that it doesn't happen overnight, and the treatments don't work overnight. It's really a slowly progressing thing, so over the course of 20 years or so (this is my guess, my expectation), you go from having lovely rosy cheeks to have a perpetually ruddy complexion. That'll be a bummer. Supposedly these prescription creams prevent the ruddiness *over the long term*-- I mean like over 10 years or so. This is what I've been told-- anyone hear anything different?

I blush like hell-- when I laugh, when I'm angry, when I'm embarassed, when I'm happy, and of course this is nothing I can prevent, but is a big source of my rosy cheeks! Do others have this too?

Every individual with rosacea will have different reactions to products..hence, most of us are really sensitive and cannot use chemical sunscreens. Since they sink into the skin and absorb the UV light, that can be really stressful for sensitive skin that is prone to broken caps.

Also, i don't think perscription drugs for rosacea are to benefit over a long period of time..if not quite the opposite. I was warned by a dermotologist that if i used metrogel it would be temporarily beneficial, but longterm would not do much to help me at all. That is when I turned to IPL and kept my skincare simple and effective. Gentle cleanser, moisturizer and Always have some kind of sunscreen. It's worked so far and i don't have the worry of a red face at all anymore. If anything people don't even believe me when i say I have rosacea unless I have a couple of drinks and they see a slight pinkness to my cheeks.

5% products discount

Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:21 pm      Reply with quote
I think I have it too. There's redness across my nose which extends over to my right cheek. I used to think it was just broken capillaries, but it's not getting any better.

I am currently trying bleaching cream. - Silly I know, but I'm also using it on a broken capillary on the back of my hand. It seems to be getting better. I didn't know MMU made it worse. Someone told me it made it better, so I switched. It does seem to be getting worse lately, though.

I definitely know that sun and exfoliation make mine worse, and I can't use Neutrogena products either. I don't seem to know what makes it better, only what makes it worse.

I hate my dermatologist too. I have to ask his assistant questions, and then he comes in the room. She asks my questions, and he answers her in front of me. I am allowed to be in the room, at least. Also, with him, everything is incurable, and you must have a procedure.

Has anyone tried the at home IPL that you can buy now?
misskatblack
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:58 pm      Reply with quote
I have been battling on and off with rosacea for years trying this that and the other thing. I had the worst case of it I had a few months ago when I was drinking a lot of hot chocolate (a trigger for me)and I could not get it back under control whatever I used. Even the things that I had previously used and had worked were not doing a thing this time...I found something on the net about oregano oil (used orally and topically) that a dermatologist had written, he/she had had an extremely high success rate, something like 80-90% and I tried it and I haven't had it back ever since. I am very surprised that it has completely gone. Lucky me!!!! I tried to find the website again but the page is not under the same address - I will keep looking...
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:36 pm      Reply with quote
There was a review for a product called Replenix Green Tea Serum which is supposed to be very calming for reddened skin.
Jeannine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:38 am      Reply with quote
Unfortunately, my rosacea is mostly on my nose. Any time it flares up, I look like Rudolf the Rednosed reindeer.

I've been using metrogel for years. It's the only thing that I've found to keep the rosacea under control. Every time I've tried to stop using it, the rosacea comes back in full force.

Another thing that have helped are All Terrain's Aloe Skin Repair Gel with chamomile, lavendar, sea algae, comfrey, and sweet clover leaf. (http://www.mothernature.com/shop/detail.cfm/sku/89965) BTW, this stuff is wonderful all over the body, and I found that an unexpected benefit is that it works better than DEET to keep bugs away! The bug-repellant effect lasts 2-4 hours after applying it.

Avoiding triggers as much as possible, especially sugary foods, harsh cleansers, and actives like Retin-A. I also cannot tolerate Neutrogena products.

Always wear sunscreen and stay out of harsh weather--just one night of skiing in wind and cold left me bright red for more than a week and my caps doubled.

I'm curious about the oregano oil advice. How does one take/apply it, and how quickly are results seen?

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:17 am      Reply with quote
gserchi wrote:

Also, i don't think perscription drugs for rosacea are to benefit over a long period of time..if not quite the opposite. I was warned by a dermotologist that if i used metrogel it would be temporarily beneficial, but longterm would not do much to help me at all. That is when I turned to IPL and kept my skincare simple and effective. Gentle cleanser, moisturizer and Always have some kind of sunscreen. It's worked so far and i don't have the worry of a red face at all anymore. If anything people don't even believe me when i say I have rosacea unless I have a couple of drinks and they see a slight pinkness to my cheeks.

I have to respectfully disagree with this statement - I was diagnosed with Rosacea at 20, and am now 32. I have been using the metrogel the whole time. I have decreased the amount that I use, and when I am eating right, and not too stressed(two things that cause flares for me) I use it exclusively on the sides of my nose, where I am most prone to breakouts.

I think the thing to remember about rosacea is that it acts differently for everyone.
As for Purple Turtle's question about physical sunscreens, I don't think it holds true that no rosaceans can use chemical ones. Hey, I can't use cetaphil, and I think it's a staple in most rosacean's cupboards Very Happy
elizasue
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:20 am      Reply with quote
oops, sorry, reverse that! Confused Purple turtle had the opinion about not using prescriptions long term, and gerschi(sp?) the question about physical/chemical sunscreeens Wink
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:49 am      Reply with quote
Has anyone found that using cleansers without SLS helps? Don't have rosacea myself but researching for a friend.

I notice Poco mentioned something about not using "cleansers with detergents"?
PocoLoco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:02 am      Reply with quote
Oh yes, any rosacean should steer WAY clear of a cleanser with SLS in it! Detergents in general are a no-no for rosaceans, and SLS is the worst. Cetaphil cleanser has detergents in it (I've been told by someone who researched it), which is evidence that many derms don't understand the best way to care for rosacea skin. They frequently recommend it...probably being influenced by marketing I would guess.

To the lady with the rude dermatologist: He sounds horrid! I would make one more appointment, and bring a friend. Speak to the derm through the friend, and tell him "I am going to find a new doctor, and you need to learn how to work with people or you're in the wrong field!" Surprised
sarah19
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:45 am      Reply with quote
im 2o and have had rosacea getting worse over time, with flushing and now getting a few p/p from time to time.

I have cut out dairy, wheat and acholol and fruits.I have had 3 ipls and the first one helped me and the two others i had made me worse, im not saying it hasnt helped others but in my case im left with puffy skin my face is very puffy still and was 3 months ago i had it done. Im also on the hunt for skin care that suits me as it reacts to alot, i use calmin cleanser from
http://www.calminskincare.co.uk/

and now on the hunt for a moisturser thinking of trying rose hip oil soon and wondered if anyone has tried it on their skin?
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:46 am      Reply with quote
SLS is in a really small percentage for cetaphil. To some it might cause small irritation, but the cleanser in itself is like a thick water to me. I was really concerned at first too until i started researching literally every single ingredient in my daily skincare.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:53 am      Reply with quote
Sarah,

I have tried rosehip oil on my skin. In general I use oils mixed with hyaluronic acid as my moisturizer. I have oily skin that breaks out easily so what works best for me is using rosehip as only 10% of my oil mixture. At night I use "Ultra emu" oil from LBProcessors.com. It is very similar to the fatty acid profile of the skin, and has anti-inflammatory properties. It is totally non-comedogenic (whereas rosehip oil is comedogenic for some people). In the daytime during the summer I use homemade y'lang y'lang blend mixed with my HA. The emu/HA blend is extremely healing and calming for my skin! I love it.
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:57 am      Reply with quote
As for the person claiming metrogel saved her skin, I'm not saying it shouldn't be used at all..i'm just explaining what I was told. I was also told it could cause my skin to tingle when first applying. Hearing that turned me off completely. I did a lot of reading back then and cannot exactly find the articles now, but a lot of the information I was told was also provided in the articles. All rosaceans would probably have a different reaction to a topical medication like metrogel. I resorted in using chamomile tea on my skin and controlling my reddness by reducing emotional situations and weather respectively.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:54 am      Reply with quote
My derm explained that topicals can only help at the topical level (hence the name) so that's why IPL's are so effective. Since they are able to actually disintergrate the veins thats flare up to make the redness, it renders the rosacea dormant or nonexsistant. It really has made a difference for me. I find I don't stress about it as much anymore, more of an awareness rather than a dictatorship. Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:06 am      Reply with quote
thanks PocoLoco for replying with what you use, im going try mixing it with that then, i also want to try a vitamin c sercum but have no idea what one to try any ideas anyone. i see your wrote you useemu oil at night i tried that but cant tolerate it made my face red and ore flushy. Glad it works for you

Sarah
PocoLoco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:56 am      Reply with quote
Wow...I've never heard of that. How about jojoba oil? Have you tried that one?

As for vit C serums, I've found that either J&B C&C serum or Triple C from Professional Solutions are the least irritating (they use the C esters). Triple C is much better priced...
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:59 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |