Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Dr Hauschka CC not a real cleanser? Uhh...what?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
spa_cake
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:46 pm      Reply with quote
From this thread:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=70917

Wild Cat says:

Quote:
Hello yusufosman,
I noticed that you use only Dr.H CC to clean your face, both morning and night. Dr. H CC is not a cleanser, it is more like a exfoliant. You need to use a cleanser before you use Dr. H CC especially at night time. I think this is the reason why you are getting whiteheads.
I hope this helps

Excuse me? It's not? Is this person misinformed or am I not using a real cleanser?

Rolling Eyes
spa_cake
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:49 pm      Reply with quote
BTW -- Dr. H's CC is so good I wouldn't stop using it even if it weren't "cleaning" my skin. Whatever it does, it works! Bad Grin
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:22 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah, this is true. I thought it was a cleanser in itself as well, but reading the boards the other week I realized you are supposed to use a cleanser before hand. I think the DHCC is more to get all the crap out of your pores, but you still need another cleanser to remove makeup/sunscreen/etc., before hand so the DHCC can do it's job.

I JUST received my DHCC today in the mail, so tonight I'll be using it for the first time. I hope I love it as much as many others seem to. Very Happy
spa_cake
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:38 pm      Reply with quote
Where is the proof though? Why is it called "CLEANSING CREAM" if it does not CLEANSE?

Isn't that false-advertising or something?

We need an expert here to tell us what ingredient, if any, actually cleanses your skin.
spa_cake
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
From Dr. H's site:

http://www.drhauschka.com/holistic-products/face-care/cleansing/details.aspx?id=10&product=Cleansing+Cream+-+For+all+skin+conditions

Quote:
Ingredient List for Cleansing Cream
Water (Aqua), Sweet Almond (Prunus Dulcis) Meal, Anthyllis Vulneraria Extract, Calendula Officinalis Extract, Alcohol, Peanut (Arachis Hypogaea) Oil, Wheat (Triticum Vulgare) Germ Oil, Matricaria/German Chamomile (Chamomilla Recutita) Extract, St. John'swort (Hypericum Perforatum) Extract, Witch Hazel (Hamamelis Virginiana) Extract, Sweet Almond (Prunus Dulcis) Oil, Fragrance/Parfum (essential oil), Citronellol, Geraniol, Acerola (Malpighia Punicifolia) Extract, Xanthan Gum, Algin

Quote:
Almond meal is a blend of whole ground almonds, including shell and nut. The meal mixes readily with water to form a natural emulsion that is highly absorbent of water and oil. In Cleansing Cream it absorbs oils, dirt and perspiration from the skin. The soothing, calming properties of almond make it gentle enough for even the most sensitive skin. Almond meal has been used traditionally for its cleansing and purifying effect on the skin. In ancient India and Egypt ground almonds were pressed into bars for cleansing the body.

So how does it NOT cleanse the skin? Rolling Eyes

Maybe they meant it's just not a STRONG cleanser?
PocoLoco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:19 pm      Reply with quote
Hi

I'm not a chemist but my understanding is that what makes a cleanser a cleanser is some kind of surface active ingredient--surfactant or soap or detergent (although detergents are not good for your skin), that "cuts" the oil or dissolves it. The DHCC has no surface active chemicals to cut the oil & dirt mixture that is on your skin at the end of the day. I own some of this, and when I used it by itself, I broke out from it. It does leave a film on your skin if it's the last thing you use. I read a recommendation that you follow the DHCC with a regular (mild) cleanser to remove the film. When I tried it this way, I did not break out from it.
spa_cake
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:16 pm      Reply with quote
The point is to absorb oil and dirt, right -- at a low pH? According to Dr. H's site, the Almond Meal in the Clenasing Cream absorbs dirt and oil without using a detergent. Are you saying it's not enough?

Also, I don't see any film when I use it. Shock
Mabsy

Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:26 am      Reply with quote
It isn't a proper cleanser and I wouldn't use it as such. First of all, I don't enjoy using almond meal to take off my eye makeup - my vision goes a little spotty Razz But, mainly, I think Dr H essentially is pointing to the fact that this is a gentle exfoliant but one that may not remove all your makeup. If you just wear tinted moisturiser then you're fine, but if you wear more than that then it's just not going to cut it. The main feature of the Dr H CC is the fact that it cleanes out my pores (presumably with that "sucking" action when you press it into the skin).
Agave
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:53 am      Reply with quote
spa_cake wrote:
Where is the proof though? Why is it called "CLEANSING CREAM" if it does not CLEANSE?

Isn't that false-advertising or something?

We need an expert here to tell us what ingredient, if any, actually cleanses your skin.

Well, clay can be very absorbant and "cleansing," but, I wouldn't use it to take my makeup off.

As Mabsy said, there's the first line of defense to clean off the superficial muck of the day and then other nice products, such as clay masks and the Dr. H CC to take it a step further and really get down and clean stuff up.

Sort of like reading Cliffnotes versus the actual book? Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:26 am      Reply with quote
I don't get it either. I find it cleanses my skin more than enough and I've never experienced this "film" that everyone talks about. I always feel clean and fresh after using it. I find that the exfoliation properties help remove dirt and grime and the applicaton method helps draw out oils and impurities so I think it's a great cleanser in that effect. Now if I wanted a makeup remover, I would use a cream cleanser as, like Mabsy suggested, it's easier on the eyes. But we're talking about "cleansing" here and IMO exfoliating, removing dirt and debris, drawing out impurities, etc. are all apsect of the cleansing process.
PocoLoco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:39 am      Reply with quote
I know that I can feel the film on my skin when I use the DHCC. But here's a possible experiment if anyone is interested:

Try using DHCC on one half of your face only. On the other half, use a mild cleanser of some sort (ideally without SLS or anything harsh in it).

Rinse and pat your face dry. Then try "stretching" your face muscles, feeling your skin etc. and see if you can feel a difference between the two sides.

This is not great scientific method because the alternate cleanser will vary the results, as will people's individual skin types. For me, I know exactly how different the two sides would be...one would feel like it had a mixture of oil and wax on it (the DHCC side). But my skin tends towards oiliness naturally. People with naturally dry skin would probably experience this differently, and might even prefer the feel of the DHCC skin.
spa_cake
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:52 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy wrote:
It isn't a proper cleanser and I wouldn't use it as such. First of all, I don't enjoy using almond meal to take off my eye makeup - my vision goes a little spotty Razz But, mainly, I think Dr H essentially is pointing to the fact that this is a gentle exfoliant but one that may not remove all your makeup. If you just wear tinted moisturiser then you're fine, but if you wear more than that then it's just not going to cut it. The main feature of the Dr H CC is the fact that it cleanes out my pores (presumably with that "sucking" action when you press it into the skin).

I'm a man and don't wear any makeup Cool Bad Grin

So the fact that Dr. H's CC doesn't remove your makeup effectively is your argument for it not being a "cleanser"? I am sorry, but that's not a strong case. Dr. H even tells you to use another product (like the Cleansing Milk) to take off your makeup.

But until someone offers up a real explanation as to why it's not a real cleanser, I will continue to use it as one.
PocoLoco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:57 am      Reply with quote
I'll say it again (it's still true):

Quote:
what makes a cleanser a cleanser is some kind of surface active ingredient--surfactant or soap or detergent (although detergents are not good for your skin), that "cuts" the oil or dissolves it. The DHCC has no surface active chemicals to cut the oil & dirt mixture that is on your skin at the end of the day
spa_cake
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:02 am      Reply with quote
PocoLoco wrote:
I'll say it again (it's still true):

Quote:
what makes a cleanser a cleanser is some kind of surface active ingredient--surfactant or soap or detergent (although detergents are not good for your skin), that "cuts" the oil or dissolves it. The DHCC has no surface active chemicals to cut the oil & dirt mixture that is on your skin at the end of the day

And I'll say it again:

The ALMOND MEAL is the active ingredient, imo. It ABSORBS the oil/dirt as opposed to, as you say, "cutting or dissolving" it.

The point of surfactants, soaps and detergents is to rid the skin of oil and dirt. Almond Meal does this. How am I wrong? Bad Grin

Forget the technical defition of the word "cleanser". I'm simply thinking outside the box. The goal is to eliminate dirt/oil at a low pH without compromising skin barrier, right? Dr. H does this for my skin so it's a cleanser to me... until someone offers up a better explanation as to why ALMOND MEAL isn't a good choice.
PocoLoco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:07 am      Reply with quote
The problem with the DHCC is that the almond meal does not remove enough oil (via "absorption") to leave the skin with a clean surface. The almond meal truely does not qualify as a surface active ingredient, the definition of a cleanser. That being said, if you have naturally dryer skin, and since you do not wear makeup, you may have no issues with this. If your skin seems happy, your pores are clean and you're not breaking out, then you could leave well enough alone.

Sorry...I did not "forget about the definition of a cleanser" in my response. You are correct that you want to preserve the skin barrier when you cleanse your skin. DHCC is skin barrier friendly. It just causes breakouts for me and for some others due to the oil residue and the fact that some of the ingredients (wheatgerm oil) are comedogenic. But my skin is sensitive that way.
spa_cake
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:15 am      Reply with quote
PocoLoco wrote:
The problem with the DHCC is that the almond meal does not remove enough oil (via "absorption") to leave the skin with a clean surface. The almond meal truely does not qualify as a surface active ingredient, the definition of a cleanser. That being said, if you have naturally dryer skin, and since you do not wear makeup, you may have no issues with this. If your skin seems happy, your pores are clean and you're not breaking out, then you could leave well enough alone.

Sorry...I did not "forget about the definition of a cleanser" in my response. You are correct that you want to preserve the skin barrier when you cleanse your skin. DHCC is skin barrier friendly. It just causes breakouts for me and for some others due to the oil residue and the fact that some of the ingredients (wheatgerm oil) are comedogenic. But my skin is sensitive that way.

OK, thanks. I have dry skin so that's probably why I like it so much. I have more issues with clogged pores than with oil/dirt.
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:06 pm      Reply with quote
I'm enjoying this debate so I'll get in on it once again. I for one am with Spa Cake - DHCC is definitely a cleanser. Here is a description of the product straight from Dr H's site:

Cleansing Cream
For all skin conditions

A gentle daily cleanser for all skin conditions. Calms, cleanses and clarifies gently and effectively.

*Sweet almond meal gently exfoliates and draws out impurities
*Anthyllis and calendula extracts calm and clarify
*St. John’swort and chamomile extracts reduce inflammation and redness.
*Unique application method stimulates lymph and lifts away dead, dull skin
*Stimulates the skin's ability to cleanse itself

I am also including a complete list of ingredients followed by a description of the key "surface active ingredients" which help "cut oil or dissolve it" and which help consitute DHCC as a cleanser by definition.

Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Sweet Almond (Prunus dulcis) Meal, Anthyllis vulneraria Extract, Calendula officinalis Extract, Alcohol, Peanut (Arachis hypogaea) Oil, Wheat (Triticum vulgare) Germ Oil, Matricaria (Chamomilla recutita) Extract, Hypericum perforatum Extract, Witch Hazel (Hamamelis virginiana) Extract, Sweet Almond (Prunus dulcis) Oil, Rose (Rosa damascena) Essential Oil, Acerola (Malpighia punicifolia) Extract, Xanthan Gum, Algin

Water (Aqua) (Yes water does cleanse)
Purified or distilled well water is used in making many herbal extracts at WALA. Water is also employed in creams to achieve a good consistency, hydrate skin and help ingredients penetrate the skin.

Sweet Almond (Prunus Dulcis) Meal
Almond meal is a blend of whole ground almonds, including shell and nut. The meal mixes readily with water to form a natural emulsion that is highly absorbent of water and oil. In Cleansing Cream it absorbs oils, dirt and perspiration from the skin. The soothing, calming properties of almond make it gentle enough for even the most sensitive skin. Almond meal has been used traditionally for its cleansing and purifying effect on the skin. In ancient India and Egypt ground almonds were pressed into bars for cleansing the body.

Alcohol
A food-grade ethyl alcohol from grain or fruits and vegetables. Many plants are extracted in alcohol because it extracts the widest variety of constituents. Alcohol also serves as a natural emulsifier, preservative and carrier, helping ingredients penetrate the skin. Alcohol is not drying to the skin when part of a carefully formulated Dr. Hauschka composition.

Witch Hazel (Hamamelis Virginiana) Extract
Rich in tannins that have a toning and strengthening effect on the skin's proteins. Both leaf and bark are used primarily in WALA Essences—alcohol and water estracts. A rhythmitised dilution in Rhythmic Conditioners supports the skin's barrier function and enlivens sluggish circulation.

Citronellol
One of the aldhyde essential oil compounds. This group has antiinflammatory, calming, antiseptic and sedating properties.

Geraniol
Essential oil compound. One of the monoterpene alcohols, essential oil compounds that have have tonifying, stimulating and antimicrobial properties

So that's my take on it. Hope this all helps.
phredd4
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:06 pm      Reply with quote
My husband works in the coal mining industry. Although he is in management, he sometimes does go underground for various reasons and of course accumulates coal dust and gunk on his face and skin. He likes to use DHCC, but I can tell you it does not work as well unless he cleans the surface of the skin first. Plus he didn't like the fact that he was simply mixing up the CC with the dirt and grime then rinsing off.

It's the same with me and my thick sunscreen use plus the makeup. I want all that out of the way and not mixed in with the DHCC so it can properly do its job.
Mabsy

Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:13 pm      Reply with quote
spa_cake wrote:

I'm a man and don't wear any makeup Cool Bad Grin

So the fact that Dr. H's CC doesn't remove your makeup effectively is your argument for it not being a "cleanser"? I am sorry, but that's not a strong case. Dr. H even tells you to use another product (like the Cleansing Milk) to take off your makeup.

But until someone offers up a real explanation as to why it's not a real cleanser, I will continue to use it as one.

Well, I'm sorry my dear that you don't agree with my definition but in fact this is what a good cleanser is supposed to do - remove all makeup as well as dirt, oil, etc. The fact that YOU don't wear any does not change what a good cleanser is supposed to do Razz As per my earlier reply to you above, if you don't wear any makeup then you should be fine using just the Dr H CC, unless, as phredd4 pointed out, you work/live in some extreme conditions.

I actually don't quite undestand why you're arguing this - if you're using it as a cleanser and it works for you, then why do you need other people to convince you that you should be using something else as well. If it works then stick with it. Question
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:29 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |