Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Oils for the face
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
charlie
5% products discount

Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:34 am      Reply with quote
BYRG wrote:
Shelf life doesn't seem like it would be good for certain oils. I don't want oxidized oils or ingredients on my skin. Confused

Funny you should post that ! I was just wondering what the issues are with oils that have gone rancid, other than the smell. Are they actually harmful to the skin if you use them ?

I've got a small collection of oils but being short of money nowadays I'm very reluctant to just discard them and buy fresh. Embarassed
Suk Han
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:29 am      Reply with quote
Can rosehip oil be used under or above eyes area? Will it be too strong? I try to deminish my fine line.

Thank you!
jumpingball
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:51 am      Reply with quote
Yes, you can use undiluted rose hip oil on your under eye area. Above eye, I think you have to apply it just under your brows, otherwise it can go to your eyes.
bex
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:17 pm      Reply with quote
I love the Silkia Cammellia Oil! There's a 7 Wonders oil...that has 7 oils that's great for moisturizing your body and it only takes a small amount. As far as the rosehip oil....is there a brand better than the other?
bex
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:28 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you wildflower for all your wonderful information!
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:15 am      Reply with quote
Hopefully Wildfire will chime in here.

I was reading through the thread quickly and also read something about Rose Hip Oil and that it's a great topically since it's a natural form of Vit-A.

I know Rosehip along with tea tree oil can be applied directly on the skin without diluting. Would it be too much to add a drop or two with my emu oil+HA serum at night and apply it all over my face or is it better for spot treatment.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:25 am      Reply with quote
ariesxtreme wrote:
Hopefully Wildfire will chime in here.

I was reading through the thread quickly and also read something about Rose Hip Oil and that it's a great topically since it's a natural form of Vit-A.

I know Rosehip along with tea tree oil can be applied directly on the skin without diluting. Would it be too much to add a drop or two with my emu oil+HA serum at night and apply it all over my face or is it better for spot treatment.

As mentioned earlier, Rosehip Oil is a carrier/base oil so it does not need to be diluted. You can smear it all over your face (eye area included) to your heart's content. LOL Diluting a few drops of tea tree to the Rosehip though is suggested as tea tree is an Essential Oil and is highly concentrated. It is sensitizing and can cause irritation if applied directly to the skin over the long run. (I would not apply tea tree around the eye area though.)

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:27 pm      Reply with quote
The only time I use tea tree oil directly on the skin is for spot treatment if a stubborn pimple arises. Otherwise I mix it with emu oil. Thank you for the info on rosehip. Glad I can apply it around the eye area and will start doing so.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:23 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Liz!

I'm new guys to your amazing site. But, I wanted to start putting in my 2 cents worth.

Anyway, wanted to let you know about emu oil for your acne, it's completely non-comedogenic, helps with oiliness and VERY healing. It's amazing! I got my husband using it and he's addicted. He was pretty apprehensive at first because it was an oil, but all is great after a year of use.

Good luck!javascript:emoticon('Smile')

abejita wrote:
Wildflower,

Could you suggest one (or a couple Wink face oils for me? I have oily, acne prone skin, althought I do not have active acne at the moment. I just started using tazorac and my face is a bit sensitive at the moment.

Liz
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:44 pm      Reply with quote
Just having seen this thread, I have to chime in, too. Rosehip Seed Oil is wonderful to prevent bruising. I'm such a klutz and bruise so easily! And everytime I "bang" up against something, I immediately rub the injured area with Rosehip Seed Oil. That area will still be tender but no bruises.
sark
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:24 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone ever heard of the online retailer From Nature with Love for essential oils?
Thanks!
jzainoun
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:14 pm      Reply with quote
yes... i've ordered from them before. they have a good selection of base oils (hard to find ones), and their organic eos are good.
sark
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:13 pm      Reply with quote
I was just wondering if anyone knows what the packaging is like for essential oils and hydrosols from both Acqua Vita and Nature's Gift? Glass, plastic . . . does it matter?
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:56 pm      Reply with quote
sark wrote:
I was just wondering if anyone knows what the packaging is like for essential oils and hydrosols from both Acqua Vita and Nature's Gift? Glass, plastic . . . does it matter?

I answered your question regarding Acqua Vita in the other thread you posted.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:56 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Wildflower,

Very helpful list and answered most of my questions about oils for the face.

I was wondering if you could help me out. These are the ingredients in the cleanser i just started and been on for about 6 days.

Castile Soap, Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, Sea Kelp (Ahnfelia Concinna), Organic Tea Tree Oil (Melaleuca Alternafolia), Glycerin, Organic White Tea, Echinacea Angustifolia Leaf Extract, Licorice Root Extract, Green Tea Extract, Citric Acid, Glucosamine, Polysorbate-80, Chlorophyllin-Copper Complex, Caramel, Aromatic Proprietary Blend

AS a moisturizer I use organic jojoba oil. This by the way is a great oil.

Now my concern is that what you think or know can cause a person's skin to purge? I've heard that jojoba oil can cause you to break out at first because it's bringing impurities to the surface and cleaning out the pores. Out of the cleanser's ingredients list what can possibly cause me to breakout even more. Well in this case purge? Maybe the tee tree oil? Castle soap?

Please help or anybody for the matter

Thanks

wildflower wrote:
Wow, don't I feel special now? LOL Wink I will try to help all of you out. Here are a list of popular skin care oils for body, face and hair. Hope this helps all of you out...

Almond Oil: Rich in minerals, vitamins and proteins. Excellent as a body oil and for massage. Recommended for dry, sensitive, rough and irritated skin. One of the most useful and versatile base oils.

Apricot Oil: Recommended for aging and mature skin as well as sensitive and inflamed skin conditions as it helps soothe, nourish and restore.

Avocado Oil: High in vitamin E, beta carotene, and protein. Helps soothe irritated skin conditions such as eczema and helps promote regeneration of new skin so works well with scarred, and chapped skin. Because of its unsaturated fatty acids it works as a light ultraviolet filter as well. Recommended for dry, dull and dehydrated skin. Great hair treatment too.

Calendula Oil: Calendula is an excellent healing oil for dry, chapped, scaly or irritated skin. Helps control eczema, psoriasis and rashes by soothing and preventing future breakouts. Can be used all over the entire body. Ideal for babies as it is gentle and soothing (especially for nappy rashes).

Camellia Oil: Great for sensitive and irritated skin as it contains soothing and healing properties. Excellent for skin prone to rosacea and redness. Also recommended for dry, chapped skin or rough skin as it restores nourishment and skin elasticity.

Coconut Oil: Excellent hair and body oil. Works great as an after sun oil to help soothe skin. Great for massages and hair masks and to blend your own perfume. Not recommended for facial skin as it leaves face too oily.

Evening Primrose: One of my favourite facial oils. Rich in vitamins, minerals, GLA content and antioxidants. Excellent for a wide variety of skin conditions especially sensitive and highly sensitive skin conditions, and irritated skin conditions like eczema, psoriasis or rosacea. Perfect for dry, chapped, mature and aging skin as it is highly soothing and nourishing, and helps with skin regeneration and elasticity.

Grapeseed Oil: A popular massage oil as it penetrates easily although it does cause staining (of sheets) and tends to go rancid quickly. Works well as a base oil for blends with essential oils or with other carrier oils . Recommended for dry and mature skin.

Hazelnut/Macadamia Oil: These nutty oils maintain basically the same properties. Excellent for sun protection and for homemade sunscreens. Work well with dry and mature skin. Make great hair treatment masks as they are very nourishing and smell great.

Jojoba Oil: Another versatile carrier oil which is actually a wax. Rich in proteins and minerals and highly penetrative. Contains myrisitic acid which helps with inflammation. Jojoba resembles the skin's own sebum so helps control oil production while being moisturizing as well which makes it a great balancing oil. Great for oily and acne prone skin. Excellent for both body, hair and facial care.

Olive Oil: Excellent for hair treatments due to its highly nourishing qualities. Rich in minerals, vitamins, proteins and fatty acids. Recommended for dry and dehydrated skin. Works well to prevent stretch marks and can also be used as a natural sunscreen.

Pomegranate Oil: This oil is new to me but the skin care line I use (Primavera) contains it in the line. Very high in antioxidants so it helps heal and soothe skin. Very nourishing and restorative. Recommended for aging and mature skin. The most expensive of the base oils and one of the most difficult to find.

Rosehip Oil: Another huge favourite of mine. Rich in vitamin A and minerals. Very high in linoeic and gammalinolenic acids. Excellent facial oil for all skin types as it promotes skin regeneration and restructuring. Great for mature and aging skin as it helps cell damage and renewal. Wonderful for sensitive skin and irritated skin conditions such as rosacea as it helps soothe irritation and redness, reduces inflammation, helps heal broken capillaries and nourishes dry, chapped skin. Also works wonders in lightening and preventing scars and stretchmarks. This is my "miracle" oil.

Sesame Oil: Rich in GLAs, this is a very nourishing oil and balancing oil. Recommended for acne prone and very oily skin as well as extremely dry and dehydrated skin.

Now on to my favourite lines...

I have searched and searched for years to find my favourite essential oil supplier and have finally found a few that I always recommend. I use only certified organic, biodynamic, wildcrafted and ethically cultivated oils that are grown in the best environments possible. In fact I've become quite the aromatherapy snob which I've been told happens to all professional aromatherapists. LOL Wink

My favourite base and essential oil supplier would have to be Primavera (German line). They have one of the most complete and superior lines I have ever found and their environmental practices and company philosophies are humbling and inspiring. To find out where to buy check out their site: http://www.primaveralife.com/ I rave about them all the time and can't recommend them enough.

My other favourite essential oil distributor, who I've used ever since becoming a professional aromatherapist, is Acqua Vita. http://www.acqua-vita.com/ They are a small Canadian company in my hometown of Toronto that deal directly with farmers and distillers around the world. They may not have the most elaborate line of oils but what they do have is of excellent quality. They do however, have the best line of hydrosols I've ever found and the owner, Suzanne Catty is the author of an excellent book called Hydrosols which outlines the therapeutic values and uses of hydrosols/floral waters for those who want to delve into aromatherapy a little more deeply.

Another great line which I've used in the past is The Aromatherapist, another German line. They have a good selection of carrier and essential oils.

As for skin care addicts questions about Aura Cacia and Young Oils I would have to say not so great IMO. Aura Cacia was one of the companies that first introduced me to aromatherapy as they are a highly commercial line. Because they focus on marketing and getting their line in so many health food stores and retailers, I find their quality lacking. They seem to focus on quantity rather than quality. I've noticed that they have in recent years also come out with an "organic" line but I kind of question the authenticity of it. I found that their oils were not the purest and may be stretched with lesser quality oils or other types of oils (for ex Lavender mixed with Spiked Lavender or Lavendin) to make the oils cheaper and more affordable to the public. As for Young Living, I know how popular they are in the US. Although his philosophies and practices are admirable I have a problem with plants/oils being harvested in one specific environment as I find that the best quality oils come from so many specific parts of the world where soils, climate, altitude, environmental patterns etc. are taken into consideration to produce the best, most supreme oil you can find, hence my preference to companies who source oils from various geographical areas.

I know this one was lengthy and boy did it take me some time to write, but hopefully I've helped all of you out.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:17 pm      Reply with quote
mixCD wrote:
Hi Wildflower,

Very helpful list and answered most of my questions about oils for the face.

I was wondering if you could help me out. These are the ingredients in the cleanser i just started and been on for about 6 days.

Castile Soap, Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, Sea Kelp (Ahnfelia Concinna), Organic Tea Tree Oil (Melaleuca Alternafolia), Glycerin, Organic White Tea, Echinacea Angustifolia Leaf Extract, Licorice Root Extract, Green Tea Extract, Citric Acid, Glucosamine, Polysorbate-80, Chlorophyllin-Copper Complex, Caramel, Aromatic Proprietary Blend

AS a moisturizer I use organic jojoba oil. This by the way is a great oil.

Now my concern is that what you think or know can cause a person's skin to purge? I've heard that jojoba oil can cause you to break out at first because it's bringing impurities to the surface and cleaning out the pores. Out of the cleanser's ingredients list what can possibly cause me to breakout even more. Well in this case purge? Maybe the tee tree oil? Castle soap?

Please help or anybody for the matter

Thanks

Hmmm...wish I could help you out but there are many things that can cause purging and breakouts. Sensitivities to ingredients can cause irritation and breakouts but we're all sensitive to different things so it's hard for me to pick out the exact ingredient which is the culprit for you. On general, there are a few ingredients which tend to react with some people. One of them is cocount oil. Because it is very rich and fatty it may cause breakouts. Jojoba oil does help clean out the pores but also reacts badly with some skin types so it may be a possibility as well. Kelp can also cause irritation. The aromatic porpietary blend is vague so I have no idea what that could be. Or it could be the combination of the ingredients that is causing your breakout. Unfortunately I can't answer this question. I guess the real way of finding out would be to single out each ingredient and test each one individually but who has the time or resources to do that. I would suggest continuing to use the product for at least a month to see if the breakouts get better. If not you might want to switch to something else. Take a look at your diet as well to see if maybe you are eating something that may be playing a role.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:42 pm      Reply with quote
appreciate it..

Sometimes I drink water with lemon. I heard that this can cause purging as well..

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:25 am      Reply with quote
Red raspberry seed oil has been widely tested and has a natural SPF of 40 to 50. It's very good for skin. I use it as my daytime moisturizer/SPF. I use an ounce of it as my base (carrier) and to that I add drops of essential oils that are good for anti-aging and rosacea, like sea buckthorn and helichrysum. I like to order from Nature's Gift because you can get an ounce of steam-distilled organic red raspberry for $10 and get 5 essential oil samples for free, and just add those samples to the ounce of red rasperry for a custom-blended moisturizer! Their Web site has extensive info on carrier and essential oils (see http://www.naturesgift.com/carrier_oils/raspberry-seed-oil.htm). Their hydrosols are also amazing.

I also like jojoba and rosehip for the face, and extra virgin coconut oil for my body.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:30 am      Reply with quote
I take Evening Primrose Oil Capsules to help with PMT - could I break them open and use on my face?
Scottishjuls
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:46 am      Reply with quote
Just bought some Rosehip oil from Ebay so hope its the right stuff !

Rosehip Oil - 10ml
Organic, Cold Pressed Oil

Rose hip oil, otherwise known as Rosa Mosqueta, is extracted from the distinctive red hips of the plant. This oil is organically grown and cold pressed to maximise its beneficial properties without having any chemical residues often found in cheaper, solvent extracted oils.

Used for centuries in South America in skin care for its invaluable properties, recent research has now demonstrated its ability to regenerate the skin, thanks in main part to its naturally occurring high levels of retinol (retinoic acid) and unsaturated fats.

The research showed that people applying rosehip oil to the skin regularly showed a reduction in wrinkles and blemishes from spots. After four months many were left with smooth skin and no spots. Other studies have found it to reduce the redness of scars and flatten raised scars as well as easing secondary dermatitis (often caused by radiography).

Rosehip Oil Properties:

· Hydrates and revitalises skin

· Balances sebum production

· Increases skin elasticity

· Protects against environmental stressors

· Builds collagen

· Visibly reduces scarring

Main Uses:

· Moisturiser for dry skin (not recommended for oily skin or current spots)

· Improve the look and feel of surgical and dermatological scars

· Improve stretch marks

· Reduce fine lines and wrinkles for smoother skin

· Repair skin damaged through burns, radiography and sun damage

Guidelines for use on Scars and Burns

· Only use once wounds have completely healed. Never use on broken skin

· Gently massage the oil onto the affected area each day and excess leave oil to soak in for as long as possible

· Improvements should be seen in 3-4 months

· You may also like to add frankincense or neroli oil to aid the process

· Please bear in mind that it is very difficult to improve scarring after 6 months. It is during this time that the skin is healing and regenerating and so best effects will be seen. Using the oil on older scars can help but the result will be less dramatic and will take longer to achieve.
trianglefish
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:35 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks so much, wildflower!
llb
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:22 pm      Reply with quote
Wildflower-----you have such amazing knowledge!
I LOVE natural skin care & I've been doing my own little apothecary, but I don't know anything except for the hours I spend researching on the net (I'm such a nerd). Anyhoo----I've been using tamanu oil, hyaluronic acid, neroli, sandalwood mix (I have combo/dry skin that can tend to breakout).

Is this a good blend? My skin seems to be pretty good with it. Should I only be using this at night?

TIA! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
Hey MixD? What is the cleaner you're using? Do you know what pH level it has? I may be interested in trying some myself! Thanks.
lefemme
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:54 pm      Reply with quote
Oooopsie! Was typing so fast the C in MixCD didn't type! Sorry.
mixCD
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:48 pm      Reply with quote
lefemme wrote:
Hey MixD? What is the cleaner you're using? Do you know what pH level it has? I may be interested in trying some myself! Thanks.

I was using this one:

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=140700&catid=47724&trx=PLST-0-SEARCH&trxp1=47724&trxp2=140700&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-SEARCH

But it didnt work out for me. I broke out even more and got more pimples on top of what i had to begin with. But try it. It might work for you.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:34 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |