Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Glossy Hair... How do you get it?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
anomaly
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:17 pm      Reply with quote
I've seen women (esp. on tv) with gorgeous, extremely glossy hair that can in no way be natural. Does anyone know what gives this effect? I've tried frizz serums, but they don't give that amazing shine that I've seen occasionally.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:17 pm      Reply with quote
Japanese hair straightening. The process flattens your hair shaft making it reflect light. Looking at pictures back when i had it done a couple of years ago, i see how shiny and glossy my hair was. Unfortunately my roots have grown back but i'm planning to do it again.
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:28 pm      Reply with quote
Silicone based products will give you that effect but it's definitely not natural.
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:51 pm      Reply with quote
As for being natural...

Most of those actresses you see on tv, well, it's not even their hair, but hair extensions.

I've been known to have those done myself Laughing
Olivia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:46 am      Reply with quote
I have shiny hair (sometimes) and I have noticed that it is all about the color I put on my hair and the shampoo/cond I use. I have "shades" on my hair...to cover greys and I use Kerastase Chrome shampoo and conditioner (and mask). It is expensive (by my standards) but it really works. I couldnt figure out how to put a picture in here so check out my myspace for pictures. I have had highlighted hair in the past but it is dark brown/black right now and I noticed that with highlights I never saw a shine.

http://www.myspace.com/66666712
tidieu
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
Olivia wrote:
I have shiny hair (sometimes) and I have noticed that it is all about the color I put on my hair and the shampoo/cond I use. I have "shades" on my hair...to cover greys and I use Kerastase Chrome shampoo and conditioner (and mask). It is expensive (by my standards) but it really works. I couldnt figure out how to put a picture in here so check out my myspace for pictures. I have had highlighted hair in the past but it is dark brown/black right now and I noticed that with highlights I never saw a shine.

http://www.myspace.com/66666712

Olivia - What do you use to cover greys? I started to have quite a bit of gray hair now and wonder wonder what the best way to cover it. I have natural dark brown hair. Thanks.
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:22 pm      Reply with quote
I read somewhere that there is an over the counter clear hair glaze that is good. I want to say it is made by Clairol...I haven't used it myself...but the next time I am in Target, I'm going to pick one up.
I have seen the colored ones, but I pay serious money to have my hair highlighted, and I don't want to mess with the color.
Another option is to have your hair-dresser apply a glaze....it will make the hair nice and shiny.
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:42 pm      Reply with quote
I swear by using slathering my hair in Coconut Oil once a week and leaving it overnight, I shampoo and condition as normal the following day and my hair looks so good after it has been styled Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:16 pm      Reply with quote
Making a note to get some coconut oil! Rosebud, I've seen pictures of your hair...it's gorgeous! And it's not easy to get a shine like that on blonde hair Smile
Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:14 pm      Reply with quote
You can buy clear glaze at Sally Beauty Supply really inexpensively, too. I can't remember who makes it, but it's in a little purple bottle. I think I had to mix it with developer or something, but it was really shiny. - Personally, I think I'm going to try the coconut oil thing too, though. - Do you smell like suntan oil the next day?
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:55 am      Reply with quote
I go about once a month or so to my salon and have something called a "clear gloss" done. It feels and smells like hair dye, but it doesn't really change anything except add A LOT of shine. That in combination with the new Dessert Essence Organics Shampoos and Conditioners (which also add a lot of shine) has made me and my hair very happy.^-^

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:39 am      Reply with quote
Might have to get some coconut oil and also stop by Sally Beauty supply. My hair is so thick and textured it needs all the help it can get especially in the 'sheen' department. My hair is so dry...ugh..take a look

Also, how do I get the color to stay, it tends to turn a bit brassy after like a month or two, any suggestions? I've been using that Glaze stuff by John Freida and I suppose it's doing it's job.

Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:57 am      Reply with quote
Where do you get the coconut oil? Is the smell really strong? My husband pitches a fit about strong smells, and I can just see him getting out of bed because he "can't sleep with that godawful stench." - Should've seen him with tea tree oil. Bad Grin
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:01 am      Reply with quote
Is coconut oil readily available at the local stores? Great another thing I'm gonna have to order online, hate waiting for stuff to arrive.
Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:06 am      Reply with quote
No advice about color stay. I try to dye my blonde hair brown all the time. It looks great when I leave the salon, but turns grayish in no time. How sad. I want hair like Alessandro (sp?), The Victoria's Secret model.
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:13 am      Reply with quote
I read somehwere on this board if you add a few tablespoons of Apple Cidar Vinegar to your shampoo, it'll help keep the color in your hair, might try that.
jlrobatzek
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:24 am      Reply with quote
Using a styling product with UV protection also helps keep hair from fading.
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:27 am      Reply with quote
jlrobatzek wrote:
Using a styling product with UV protection also helps keep hair from fading.

Yeah I use this Neutrogena creme and apply it to damp hair and then use a spray also think it's by Sabastien
daniel7654
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:13 pm      Reply with quote
Rub a small amount of Jojoba oil in your hands and then push through your hair, instant hair sexyness.
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:17 pm      Reply with quote
daniel7654 wrote:
Rub a small amount of Jojoba oil in your hands and then push through your hair, instant hair sexyness.

You're just too cute it's disgusting Laughing

Also is rubbing the jojoba oil like just putting like a oil based finishing spray? Those tend to make my hair oily and my hair's like horse hair as you can tell from the photos.
Olivia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:36 pm      Reply with quote
I use "shades"...I go once a month to the salon. It is a semiperm hair color. I have a TON of grey hair. It makes your hair feel really nice and it does not do a ton of damage. I use the John Frieda color glazes in between visits to give my color some shine and dull some of my bad grey outgrowth.
daniel7654
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:40 pm      Reply with quote
ariesxtreme, if you use too much it will be oily, just use a very small amount (you will need to experiment, it all depends on your hair length and texture).
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:48 pm      Reply with quote
Gotcha,

Just ordered some jojoba oil a few days ago, so will experiment, thanks for the tip!
Rufus
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:21 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone tried the new Clairol Natural Instincts "Shine Happy" which is a clear colour gloss which lasts for a month? I've just got some and haven't used it yet.
tidieu
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:13 pm      Reply with quote
daniel7654 wrote:

do you put it on wet or dry hair?
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:51 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |