Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
What Is Your Idea Of Beauty?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
The Queen
5% products discount

Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:25 am      Reply with quote
It seems that today, expecially in the media, to be considered beautiful people believe that you have to be stick thin. Even some celebrities have the view that the less you weigh, the more successful you'll be. But what do you think? Is this true? Is skinny really that desireable? Or is it an illusion?

From what I hear and what I think personally, hardly anyone thinks the skeletal form of an extreme skinny person is something we think of as beautiful, but why then is there such emphasis today on looking that way?

What I would like to know is, is this your idea of perfect beauty? Or is it something else? Or does what you look like even come into it?

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:58 am      Reply with quote
It's subjective.

It's like asking what you fancy on your hot dog, innit? Bad Grin

I, personally, seek out women that are sweet and have a sense of humor (to put up with my madness). I'm not attracted to the slutty archetypes at all. I am an absolute prude and I don't put-out to just any girl. Bad Grin

And in terms of the physical vessel, I like women that resemble Audrey Hepburn (bless her in heaven).
razinkane
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:42 am      Reply with quote
I don't think most people prefer stick thin people. I was always being told I was too skinny, at 106lbs, so my gosh I put on 20 pound and now my son thinks I'm fat and my sister laugh. I know its all in good fun, but my point is, too skinny gives off the impression of unhealthy to me, and I don't think its personally attractive.
I see it too ways, when I was skinny, I looked better with clothes off then on, now I look better with clothes on. Thats the total truth.
I don't know why all those hollywood girls are going anorexic (spell check) but they look like hek. The thing is, I think that they think they look sexy and all I see are bones showing. Its quite gross.
daniel7654
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:35 pm      Reply with quote
The Queen wrote:
It seems that today, expecially in the media, to be considered beautiful people believe that you have to be stick thin. Even some celebrities have the view that the less you weigh, the more successful you'll be. But what do you think? Is this true? Is skinny really that desireable? Or is it an illusion?

From what I hear and what I think personally, hardly anyone thinks the skeletal form of an extreme skinny person is something we think of as beautiful, but why then is there such emphasis today on looking that way?

What I would like to know is, is this your idea of perfect beauty? Or is it something else? Or does what you look like even come into it?

I'm sick of all the Jessica Simpson clones, you know bleach blonde hair, overly tanned, louis vuitton. It's all so fake! I like when skin and hair is done so it looks natural and fresh. Clear, lightly tanned skin, undamaged hair is beautiful. In terms of weight, it depends on how tall you are, obviously being too skiny is not attractive nor is being overweight, it is about finding a balance. Being confident is the most beautiful, when your comfortable with yourself it shows.
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:46 pm      Reply with quote
Beauty is a sense of humour and ease within your skin I think.

Bettie Page is a big heroine of mine because she always looked like she was totally comfortable with herself and still playful, which in my mind, made not only beautiful but also incredibly sexy. Bernie Dexter is carrying the torch now Very Happy

I really hate the look of stick thin types as well. They always look miserable and the kind of clothes I like to wear look rubbish on twiglets.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:39 pm      Reply with quote
"I'm sick of all the Jessica Simpson clones, you know bleach blonde hair, overly tanned"

You just described most Swedish girls. Laughing

Luckily, I'm not overly tan and I also don't bleach my hair. Most here do both though.
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:57 pm      Reply with quote

This IS NOT attractive....

So much for the you can never be too rich or too thin....

5% products discount

Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:14 pm      Reply with quote
That picture's shocking. It just shows what low self esteem can do to a person.

When I worked as a waitress, you'd be amazed how many little kids ordered diet cokes and salads cos they were worrying about their weight. It's just frightening.

5% products discount

Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:40 pm      Reply with quote
Shouldn't we just be celebrating what everyone looks like? Whether fat, thin, blonde, brunette, short, tall, big nose, small nose etc etc.

It just seems so wrong that there's this idea of the perfect person that we get from somewhere which no-one can really be cos its constantly changing.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:56 pm      Reply with quote
There is no such thing as perfect beauty. Beauty means many things depending upon the preferences of the person defining it. For every person who thinks thin is the only attribute to treasure there is someone who prefers some meat on the bone. For one who loves blondes there is someone who love brunettes. I think that beauty is something that can ellude an exact description as beauty can be defined as simply a surface aesthetic or a combination of the surface and the personality of the person.
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:15 pm      Reply with quote
Beauty is different in all cultures. For instance in Brazil it is considered beautiful to have an ample bottom and small breasts. Women go out of their way their to enhance their bottoms and minimise their breasts. In N. America however it seems to be the opposite women want smaller behinds and larger breasts. I think that beauty is more about confidence than outward appearance.

The other day I was watching some movies from the 1980's and I remarked to my boyfriend that the women's body shape in those movies were healthy looking but that today they would be considered fat by Hollywood standards. He agreed. Also, just look at more recent shows as well. The show "Friends" when it started in the early-mid 1990's the 3 women lead characters were of healthy body weight and looked fine, then towards the latter years of the show all of them were extremely thin and on 2 of them one could see their collarbones and sternums. It is frightening and certainly not beautiful in my opinion.
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:19 pm      Reply with quote
Any woman can look beautiful if they look healthy, toned (you can be toned and large), and well presented. Well kept hair, ironed clothes (that suit the figure), correctly applied make-up and good posture are the secret of beauty. Oh, not to mention a smile!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:12 am      Reply with quote
Candy8865 wrote:

This IS NOT attractive....

So much for the you can never be too rich or too thin....

that is a fake right? Shock

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:22 am      Reply with quote
Dunno - looked pretty real to me, unfortunately.

5% products discount

Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:39 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone think we're too critical of each other these days?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:17 pm      Reply with quote
The Queen wrote:

I find we tend to be far too critical of ourselves.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:27 pm      Reply with quote
I know a truly beautiful woman. She's overweight and has acne scars and mousy hair. But she also has an infectious laugh and a great attitude towards life that makes everyone around her feel good. To me, that's beauty.

5% products discount

Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:43 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
I know a truly beautiful woman. She's overweight and has acne scars and mousy hair. But she also has an infectious laugh and a great attitude towards life that makes everyone around her feel good. To me, that's beauty.

That's really lovely and an encouraging thought that someone thinks that about someone.

I know it sounds clishé but I really do think beauty is on the inside. I've found myself attracted to people others would think are ugly but once whats on their inside shines it's like thats all you see. You don't see the acne scars or the weight or anything else. At the end of the day, thats not what truly matters.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:03 pm      Reply with quote
I think you are beautiful if you are confident and you can make others feel good about themselves.
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:22 am      Reply with quote
My concept of beauty is Jennifer Hawkins, a previous Australian winner of Miss Universe. She is lovely to look at and she has a wonderful personality. She has been one of the hosts in an Australian travel show and on many occasions, she is in situations which aren't conducive to beauty but she still manages to look so naturally lovely.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:37 am      Reply with quote
My favourite at the moment is Daria Werbowy (a model from Canada) who looks so naturally beautiful - but i've never heard her talk or met her.
Sometimes you meet a person, who's beautiful for the first sight and then you notice that she/he has so empty eyes, there is just no soul/character behind and that's sooo boring.
Beauty for me has pretty much to do with charisma and confidence and character.
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:52 am      Reply with quote
The Queen wrote:

Yes, but that is partly because, as Candy says (great song! Very Happy), we are too critical of ourselves. Everything is so image orientated now. Even my 11 YO daughter is becoming obsessed with how she looks and comparing herself to her friends.

It may be funny to joke about how Posh spice looks and so on, but by rubbishing her, I suppose we are just rubbishing ourselves as well.

That was a bit deep for just got out of bed Rolling Eyes

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:20 am      Reply with quote
I don't think there is any one answer to the beauty question. It is subjective and fickle which is why it has fascinated poets for centuries. I, personnally, would prefer the ancient Chinese ideal beauty of being overwieght, pasty white, and not walking (not a fan of foot binding, but I do like the idea of not working).

It would sure beat the time and money spent on self tanners, gym time, and crying over my carrot sticks. Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:46 am      Reply with quote
mithai wrote:
Quote:
I think you are beautiful if you are confident and you can make others feel good about themselves.

Well said.

5% products discount

Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:10 am      Reply with quote
I second that.

Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:16 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |