Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Book Recommendations!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
The Queen
5% products discount

Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
What's your favourite book and why? What book has had an impact on you and why should others read it?

I admit, I'm a bit bored during the summer break and need a book to read but don't know where to start! So i'd be interested to see what everyone else likes.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:46 pm      Reply with quote
Anything by James Patterson is my suggestion. Honeymoon or Beach House would be an excellant choice, if you like mystery.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:12 pm      Reply with quote
For leisure I'd recommend Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden or Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. I guess they're both similar in that they're stories about women coming into their own, etc.

My favorites, though, are To Kill a Mockingbird, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Breakfast at Tiffany's... I also have a penchant for early Anne Rice. If you've never read Interview with a Vampire, you're missing out.
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:05 pm      Reply with quote
I'll second Anne Rice novels. I've read almost every book she's written. I love the way she mixes fiction with history and everything else in between. One of my all time favourite books though, would have to be "Like Water for Chocolate" by Laura Esquivel. Absolutely fantastic, book - passionate, funny, tear jerker, makes you hungry (read the book and you'll find out why Wink ). It takes you through all emotions and is so well written. And if you're still bored after reading the book than rent the movie, that is if you don't mind subtitles (it's a Mexican Movie). Another great book by the same author is "The Law of Love" - interesting story. Hmmm.. what else can I recommend? I love to read and am always reading something new so it's hard for me to pick a favourite. Maybe I should recommend something I've always wanted to read but am saving until I take another trip to Africa: "Out of Africa" by Isak Dinesen. After seeing the movie a hundred times the book is bound to be fabulous and well worth the read.
The Queen
5% products discount

Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:51 am      Reply with quote
I once had a friend who was obsessed with Anne Rice books, she never had her nose out of them! She wasn't much of a fan of the movie Interview with vampire tho...

Thanks for your recommendations guys, gonna check them all out Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:13 pm      Reply with quote
I'm into the conspiracies nowadays, so I'm currently finding George Orwell's "1984" very interesting.

I also love anything by Margaret Atwood ("The Handmaid's Tale" and "Oryx and Crake" are favs), Tolstoy, Amy Tan, Adeline Yen Mah and German author Thomas Mann.
montrealgal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:47 pm      Reply with quote
Tuesdays with Morrie. It's a true story that's both touching and inspirational.
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:45 am      Reply with quote
Oh...Montrealgal, I cried so much when I was reading that book. It was as if I was sitting there and Morrie was my mentor too.
puglove
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:47 am      Reply with quote
I love Anne Rice's novels as well.

Books that I have read and loved...:

Time Traveller's Wife
The Red Tent
The Historian

Anything by Wilbur Smith (if you're into action and story lines set in the 1800s)

I can't think of anything else. All of my books are at my parents' place because we're selling our place and need to "de-clutter"!

I'll post more once I remember some more titles!
The Queen
5% products discount

Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:53 pm      Reply with quote
Appreciated Smile Going to check out that Tuesdays with Morrie book cos I love a good tear jerker!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:20 pm      Reply with quote
-Homecoming (Tillerman Series) by Cynthia Voight (first book to make me cry)
-The Feng-Shui Junkie by Brian Gallagher (it's soooh funny)
-The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella (the author that wrote the Shopaholic book serie)
-any John Grisham books (The Firm, The Pelican Brief, etc)
Rufus
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:46 pm      Reply with quote
The Queen wrote:
What's your favourite book and why? What book has had an impact on you and why should others read it?

I admit, I'm a bit bored during the summer break and need a book to read but don't know where to start! So i'd be interested to see what everyone else likes.

I'll just go into the books I read for fun.

Laurell K Hamilton: The Anita Blake and Merry Gentry series.

Kim Harrison: The Rachel Morgan series

Jim Butcher: The Dresden series (will be a TV show on Space this fall)

LA Ward: Dark Lover series

Charlaine Harris: Sookie Stackhouse series

Kelly Armstrong

Sherrilyn Kenyon

Rachel Caine: Weather Warden series

Carrie Vaughn: Kitty and the Midnight Hour, Kitty goes to Washington

Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child: Relic and everything that follows

Kerrelyn Sparks: How to Marry a Millionare Vampire

Maryjanice Davidson: Undead and Unwed

F. Paul Wilson: Repairman Jack series

Tate Hallaway: Tall dark and dead

CT Adams & Cathy Clamp: Moon series

Lori Handeland: Night creature series

Tany Huff

Jennifer Armintrout: Blood Ties Book One: The Turning

I know I'm missing a bunch. Wink
The Queen
5% products discount

Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:07 pm      Reply with quote
lol that's a lot of recommendations

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:36 pm      Reply with quote
The Queen wrote:
lol that's a lot of recommendations

Embarassed Embarassed I know, it's almost embarassing.
alice~in~wonderland
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:51 pm      Reply with quote
My favourites are:

- Anna Karenina
- Brothers Karamazov
- Snow falling on Cedars (no, I did not see the movie, I don't think it would compare to the book)
- Great Expectations
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:19 am      Reply with quote
I didn't want to have an anxiety attack about posting my all time greatest favorites and agonize over writing exactly why I enjoyed reading them so much; so here are a few books that come to mind and some quick comments...

A recent one I read that I really liked:

The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood. Great style... stories within stories. I read through some of the parts of this book again after reading it for the first time.

A classic:

My Antonia by Willa Cather. I love Cather's writing style and perspective in this book. Great story.

I also love Coming Home by Rosamunde Pilcher. I really enjoy Pilcher's descriptive style and easy reading. I've read it twice.

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
montrealgal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:43 pm      Reply with quote
skincarefreak wrote:
Oh...Montrealgal, I cried so much when I was reading that book. It was as if I was sitting there and Morrie was my mentor too.

I'm glad to hear you found the book moving also, skincarefreak Smile I just read it for the second time and cried more this time around.

They made a TV movie based on the book (with Jack Lemmon and Hank Azaria) some years back. It was terrific and a real tearjerker.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:12 pm      Reply with quote
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.

I cannot begin to describe how incredible this book is. I read it 5 years ago when I was 34 and wish I had read it when I was your age. As a teenage atheist, I struggled to make sense of how to view the world around me and what should guide my life. It took me years to even begin to figure it out and I wish that I had read this book at that time because it really has some unique insights. What she says makes a lot of sense even though it is contrary to what just about everyone else says is right. Even at 34 I found that this book really made me think and question my assumptions.

Now you may not be a teenage atheist but I would still recommend this book. It is thought provoking and is just a plain good read, the plot keeps you hooked and you do not want to put the book down. I did not end up being a complete Ayn Rand devote as some do but she really has made a valuable contribution to the debate about how man ought to behave.

After you have read Atlas Shrugged you can also read The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand!
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:26 pm      Reply with quote
I was going to suggest Ayn Rand also. If you like 1984, I also recommend "Brave New World". Aldous Huxley really makes you think.

For light reading, anyone read the P.G. Wodehouse books with Wooster and his butler, Jeeves? I really like british humor and this Wooster is always getting into a pinch with the ladies and his level headed butler is always bailing him out behind the scenes.
qisme615
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:03 pm      Reply with quote
'The Memory Keeper's Daughter' by Kim Edwards
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:36 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |