Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Frizz from hair breakage
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
nette
5% products discount

Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:47 pm      Reply with quote
I'm new here, been reading for a few weeks and am so happy with my DIY cleansing oil, ACV toner. My face looks ten times better- less red, smaller pores... so now I'm moving on to my hair.
In spite of the fact I tell every stylist that my hair is fragile, breaks easily, they can't help but get carried away with those damned round brushes and hot blow dryers. When I shampoo the next day- tons of frizz from new broken hair. I will never let a stylist blow out my hair again! Cuts only!
Anyway, the only thing I can think of is to cut each hair above the frizz point, where it broke, which is the worst area, all weird and funky curled up. Sort of like dusting, only instead of split ends, I'd be cutting frizz ends. It would be time consuming, not something I could do in one sitting, but since it's just the top hair that is broken it wouldn't take forever. I think I read you have to be careful with scissors- does this mean I should go out and buy new scissors, for hair only. Are they expensive? Any other ideas? I do tons of oils, conditioning....

nette
shanno
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, nette, I have the same problem and have had to get very strict with anyone who touches my hair. Smile I do exactly what you're thinking of trying, except that I draft my husband to do the cutting. (Seriously, if you can coerce a friend to help out it will make things so much easier. I say this as someone who used to spend way too much time peering into the mirror trying to see which ends had been damaged.)

I definitely would invest in some good hair cutting scissors. Basically any made in the cutlery mecca, Solingen, Germany, should work beautifully. You should be able to get a decent pair for $20 to $30 USD.
nette
5% products discount

Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, shanno,
I was hoping to hear from someone who has done this. (Don't know why it took me so long to figure this out. Confused) I'll go out and get some scissors and get started on this- I'm excited to think I might be able to look in the mirror without feeling angry about the halo of frizz. Wish I had a sweet hubby to do it for me-- lucky you. Could ask my thirteen year old daughter... Shock then again maybe not.
Do you use anything to try to make your hair stronger? I've just recently learned about sulfates and want to try a shampoo without them, see if that helps with the hair growing in. Let me know if you have any other ideas.
Thanks!
nette
shanno
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:02 pm      Reply with quote
My hair has markedly improved over, say, the last year, but I've changed a lot so it's hard to say what specifically brought about the improvements. I'll just list everything I can think of in the hopes that some of it might actually be helpful! Smile First, I did eliminate sulfates, as you're considering. Now, I hardly shampoo at all (only when my hair is actually 'dirty,'if I've been hiking in hot weather, for instance) and then I use only a totally natural shampoo--no sulfates. What I do instead is rinse with apple cider vinegar whenever my my hair starts to feel weighted down with styling products. Also, I switched from a silicon-based anti-frizz product to simply using pure shea butter. Finally, I read somewhere--perhaps in Frederic Fekkai's book--that lots of women have brittle hair because they don't get enough fat in their diets. So, I took that as encouragement to eat all of the olive oil and avocadoes that I wanted!

Hope this doesn't sound too crazy!
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:21 am      Reply with quote
I know how you feel. I dont let my hairdresser blow dry anymore because she just totally dries it out,dosent put any product in first and practically touches my hair with the dryer.I only keep going to her because she cuts it well. But yeah i wish hairdressers would just listen properly,after all we know our hair and what it likes and dosent like more than they do!We deal with it everyday!
alohagirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:45 pm      Reply with quote
I can totally relate to this topic. My superfine hair used to have a halo of frizzy broken ends. Now I have thick wavy hair down to the middle of my back with no frizzies at all.

Here's how I did it: One day I got fed up and threw away my hairbrush. If my hair needs smoothing or styling, I just use my hands. If I have tangles, I remove them easily while I'm in the shower with conditioner on my head. (I use my fingers to gently separate the tangles.) Pantene Smooth & Sleek conditioner is great for this.

After towel drying, I rub about 7 drops of pure Jojoba oil into my hair and then comb it through with a wide tooth comb or pick. The Jojoba oil is great for eliminating frizz and defining curls without weighing your hair down the way silicone products do. No buildup ever.

Now my hair is totally healthy looking even though I highlight it. Not a single split end!

This method works for straight hair too. A few years ago my niece had more broken hairs than healthy ones. She followed my advice, quit using a hairbrush and started removing tangles with her fingers in the shower. When she blow dries, it's with a diffuser, low heat, and she uses her fingers instead of a round brush. A wide-tooth comb is all she uses for touch-ups during the day.

You should see her now. She has the most gorgeous blonde hair down to her waist. No more broken hairs. I swear the girl could do a Pantene commercial!Very Happy

P.S. We also sleep with our hair in a bun to avoid tangles and pillow breakage.
nette
5% products discount

Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:20 am      Reply with quote
Wow. No hairbrush. I guess it's worth a try, if it worked for both of you. I never considered my hairbrush to be the problem. It's a boar bristle, supposed to be what the long hair gals on LHL forum use. But I do think I remember some people saying they never brushed- I just thought it was a little extreme and that brushing was supposed to be good for the scalp. But ok, I'll give it a try along with jojoba. Anything to get rid of this mess. Straight hair with little curly frizzes on top is soooo unattractive.
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:11 am      Reply with quote
Definately dont let your hairdresser blow-out your hair. Also if he is using thinning scissors or doing a razor cut on you...thats a no-no. These types of method to cut hair will cause more split ends. Is your hair frizzy due to over-processing your hair by dying or bleaching it too much? Or do you naturally have weak hair?

I used to have really damaged hair from bleaching it. It was frizzy with many split ends. I used I used shampoo and conditioner from K-Pax for damaged hair, and a couple times a week used K-Pax repair conditioner (forgot what it's called exactly, but it has protein in it to restore your hair) I would sugest to towel dry your hair because a blow-dryer can damage hair more. And them put a few drops of Biosilk Silk therepy into your hair (i love this stuff). This stuff will eliminate any frizziness without making your hair look flat
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:17 am      Reply with quote
nette, I would def. ditch the brush, some peoples hair just doesnt like them. I dont use them unless I am putting my hair up.

If you are worried about your scalp, do a gentle massage on dry hair with warm jojoba, coconut, or avacado oil once a week. Just make sure you do it with your finger pads and not your nails! This will help with circulation and strenghten new hair growth.

If you are looking for a shampoo that is SLS free, a excellent one to try is Cream of Nature. I am a hairdresser and recommend it to all my clients/friends. You can find it at most drug/grocery stores in the ethnic hair care aisle. Make sure you get the one with the yellow cap and red lettering. This is my HG shampoo, it has truly saved my hair from the massive damage I have done to it, plus its under 4$USD! It also states on the bottle that you do not need to use a follow up conditioner, I dont. You may need to test drive it once with out one to see if it is moisturizing enough for you. HTH! Very Happy

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
shanno
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:52 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, yes, I'd forgotten about the hair brush--I've abandoned mine as well. I'd the same issue others have commented upon, no matter how carefully I brushed I ended up with broken ends. (And it was a good quality boar bristle supposedly suited to my hair type. I think my hair is just too fine to handle it.)

I've been thinking about getting a brush with the bristles (well, really more like metal teeth) spaced widely apart. Has anyone tried that? Does it work any better?
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:19 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone have any suggestions for my tiny frizzies? I can't ditch the hair brush because I have perm-like curls naturally but I dry my hair straight every 2-3 days. Cutting these babies would only make mine worse since the shorter they are, the more they curl! My natural curls are NOT pretty (although most people tell me they are). I just can't stand not being able to run my fingers through my hair when it's curly. And the style is so boring to me. Straight on me looks much classier.

My shower filter has helped tremendously, but I'm willing to try as many things as possible to keep breakage to a minimum. The Cream of Nature is definitely on my list, as well as trying the jojoba.
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:19 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone have any suggestions for my tiny frizzies? I can't ditch the hair brush because I have perm-like curls naturally but I dry my hair straight every 2-3 days. Cutting these babies would only make mine worse since the shorter they are, the more they curl! My natural curls are NOT pretty (although most people tell me they are). I just can't stand not being able to run my fingers through my hair when it's curly. And the style is so boring to me. Straight on me looks much classier.

My shower filter has helped tremendously, but I'm willing to try as many things as possible to keep breakage to a minimum. The Cream of Nature is definitely on my list, as well as trying the jojoba.
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:22 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
The Cream of Nature is definitely on my list, as well as trying the jojoba.

You def must try this, its even better for curly hair! Smile

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:34 am      Reply with quote
Thanks vonstella! By the way, I'm also from Dallas. Very Happy Irving originally but now I live in south Grand Prairie (but more like Arlington).
nette
5% products discount

Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:50 am      Reply with quote
OK, I've been using non-sulfates for about a week, and a new organic conditioner, no brush and no hair dryer, and I love my hair today. The frizz is so much better, my hair is "laying down" better as opposed to kind of standing out at the bottom like witch hair. And another benefit that I just posted on the hair loss thread- I have had NO hair to clean out of the drain filter after shampooing. That has never happened to me before, or at least not in the past decade. I used Giovanni Tea Tree shampoo and Kiss My face body condtioner- love this combo. The Aubrey shampoo and regular conditoner (I think it was Rosa Musqueta) didn't do much for my hair, condition wise. But I do love Aubrey's GPB condtioner. That one's a keeper. I'll keep looking for the Cream of Nature to try.
Thanks for all the help, you guys! It's working!
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:37 am      Reply with quote
My hair used to be very frizzy when my HD used a razor to thin it out.
Now I go to a better HD I get far less frizz.
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:39 am      Reply with quote
TAMgirl 99 - when I have annoying little sticky up bits on my head I spray some hairspray onto my hairbrush and brush my hair -it works really well.
I use Biosilk Shine On Spray and it adds shine whilst smoothing.
Don't spray it directly on unless you have thicker hair.
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:30 am      Reply with quote
TAMgirl99 wrote:
Thanks vonstella! By the way, I'm also from Dallas. Very Happy Irving originally but now I live in south Grand Prairie (but more like Arlington).

Im in addison, maybe we should hang? Smile

System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:11 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |