Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Good Sunscreen Article (UVA, UVB, etc.)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
montrealgal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:17 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks PocoLoco, thanks Molly Smile

One mystery down and 400 more to go... Laughing

What is the minimum PPD rating that would be acceptable?

This may be wishful thinking but... is there a site that simply lists the PPD of different sunscreens?
PocoLoco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:12 am      Reply with quote
Not that I know of, but Tubotica.com does have PPD ratings of the sunscreens it sells, as does Kathleen's website.

As far as what the minimum PPD should be, this depends partly on whether you are suffering from melasma or other pigmentation issues. If not, you have a little more leeway. For me, if I know I'm not going outside much at all, I might wear a sunscreen with PPD as low as 10. But if I'm going outside much I will wear one with PPD 20-35. I have several brown "sunspots" on one cheek but that's all...
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:14 am      Reply with quote
hmm but i thought PPD controlled the amount of uva protection in the skin? So far my inefficient physical sunscreen has somehow kept my skin clear of freckles. I only have one but i've had it since highschool. other then that my skin does well with the sunscreen i use. but i'd still like to try something higher. im just scared to blend it with my mmu even if it is aromaleigh glissade. my concern for that is what if somehow they unevenly blended the silicone with the sunscreen ingredients and i dont have enough silicone to buffer between the chemical and physical sunscreens. i'd have to dust powder in between then add my makeup. what a face full of cakey makeup i would imagine...lol

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:34 am      Reply with quote
Well, PurpleTurtle, when I was 21 I didn't have any freckles either. But now I'm 47 and they have shown up in the past year or so. This "sun damage" takes a while to develop.

All I can suggest is what I do myself, which is--

1. Use a high PPD sunscreen most days
2. Use a vit. C anti-oxidant serum underneath the sunscreen.
3a Use the Glissade siliconized MMU, --OR--
3b Choose a sunscreen with Tinsorb on the days I don't wish to use the Glissade MMU.
4. Not worry overly much about the whole thing. Very Happy
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:39 pm      Reply with quote
Hi all,

I'm beginning to get a bit frusterated. I've been dealing with fine lines and now I'm beginning to get what looks like age spots. Sad I've used chemical sunblocks for over 10 yrs. Now I'm using Shiseido SPF 55. I'm confused do physical sunblocks not really block the skin from uv rays? What should I look for and in all honesty, how do they measure PPD? Should I look for another sunscreen? Sorry about all this but I want to make sure I'm protecting my skin as much as I can.
The fact that I'm only 34 makes this harder to take. Thanks
PocoLoco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:29 pm      Reply with quote
Hi SCF,

Physical sunscreens do block UVB rays, but are comparatively ineffective at blocking UVA rays. Those are the rays responsible for sunspots, aging/wrinkling of the skin. If you haven't yet read Kathleen's article (subject of this thread), I highly recommend it as it explains these concepts quite well. I do understand your frustration as I go through bouts of that myself. My own typical version of it is "Why aren't the high PPD sunscreens truly matte???" What's up with that? Confused
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:18 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Poco,

I looked at the Bioderma sunblock with the PPD 41, now isn't Tinosorb titanium dioxide?
bluebelle
5% products discount

Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
OK, at this point I'm not only BAFFLED by all this information, but BUMMED. All these years I've been wearing sunscreen, day in, day out ... was it completely useless?? SPF moisturizer with (supposedly) broad spectrum protection - but was it doing anything at all? Was it just breaking down & damaging my skin? I don't wear makeup - is that the only factor in the chemical breakdown? Confused

Seriously, I think I'm just going to become one of those women I see walking around town with a wide brimmed hat, scarf, face mask, gloves, long sleeves, long pants - AND a sun umbrella! Razz
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:48 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
This may be wishful thinking but... is there a site that simply lists the PPD of different sunscreens?

Montrealgal - this is the closest to a list of PPDs I've come across.
http://makeupalley.com/user/notepad/sunscreens

Purpleturtle - your physical sunscreen *would* keep you free of freckles because it protects against UVB extremely well (I sometimes feel better than the euro ss). You need UVB radiation to release melanin - the UVA radiation then oxidises it to turn it brown. No UVB no tan, no freckles, but long term UVA aging type damage.

Hi Skincarefreak - the physical screens do protect against UVA, but only achieve 8-10PPD (including the Shiseido). You do need to find something better for anti-aging IMHO. You can see from MUA/Kathleen's site/searching here what the most popular and reliable euro SS are.

Basically most people on EDS who use the Euro's tend to use either LaRochePosay Anthelios or Avene (possibly because of the Bad Bird's recommendations last year).

Bluebell - please don't get paranoid Wink nor stop enjoying your life. These SPF moisturisers do have some benefits. They'll protect you a bit - it's not all bad. Just, now you're better informed you can up your protection a bit.
Wein
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:58 pm      Reply with quote
Argh if only comfort and protection comes together perfectly Bad Grin

My lack of motivation to wear them daily unless im sure i be out in the sun long always boils down to comfort Very Happy
queenkatez
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,
Thanks for all the useful information.
I was wondering if someone can recommend a paraben-free sunblock that effectively blocks UVA rays (PPD > 10). I've been having trouble locating such a product.

Thanks,
Katie
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:40 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Theresa
Thanks for the second Roche link. They do say some specific things about latitude and altitude, but it's the vagueness of this kind of statement which makes me think they're saying nothing much.
Quote:
The amount of UVA radiation reaching the earth is less influenced by the position of the sun

You could look at those MUA charts and agree with this statement 'yep', less influenced, but still enormously fluctuating according to the season and time of day.
Also, if UVA is so aging and it doesn't change that much why does european skin which lives in Australia or Asia look SO much older than european skin living in the UK? It just doesn't seem realistic to me.
I've been away, but I will ask the Met office today and maybe BBC weather, although I asked them something last year about UVA and they didn't respond.

Hi Kathleen
I've had time to read your sunscreen info page more carefully now and in my opinion it's really useful. I think to-date what a lot of online information has been missing is a thorough understanding of the technology combined with it's practical application - you've done a great job of that. That's such a big part of the problem. Hence your massive personal sampling project I guess.
Still searching the southern hemisphere for some answers about UVA radiation - I'll be back. Molly Smile
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:15 pm      Reply with quote
molly- its funny you mention you contacted a weather place about uva rays...ive been waiting 3 days now for a response from the weather channel and am thinking perhaps they will never respond to me. maybe they don't know either?

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:36 am      Reply with quote
I know this is off the topic of sun protection...but i was looking at the antioxidants and there is this red tea serum that claims to be more potent than vitamin C. Has anyone tried this stuff?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:49 am      Reply with quote
Hi Purpleturtle
I saw you were onto them too. You'd think you could rely on the BBC, wouldn't you? I think weather folk are only concerned about burning. Seems to me that the UV index wasn't designed for we skin-buffs' anti-aging purposes.

I wouldn't hold your breath while I get any answers. There's so much to read, including a load of links, before I ask my question and to be honest I can't understand half of it.

Have a look if you like
http://www.met-office.gov.uk/weather/uv/uv_uk.html

There's a part-time job opening here teaching English to the local meteorological office. I might have to take it just to find the answer Laughing

What was the question again hmm
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:16 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for your question.

The Weather Channel provides weather related health advisories visitors can
use, as a preventative measure, for general well being. However, for specific
health concerns, we suggest contacting your physician for advice and/or
treatment.

nice response..haha

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:48 pm      Reply with quote
Molly wrote:
Montrealgal - this is the closest to a list of PPDs I've come across.
http://makeupalley.com/user/notepad/sunscreens

This is a really helpful site! Thanks, Molly! wave
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:16 pm      Reply with quote
purpleturtle wrote:
I know this is off the topic of sun protection...but i was looking at the antioxidants and there is this red tea serum that claims to be more potent than vitamin C. Has anyone tried this stuff?

I haven't tried a serum of red tea but I drink Rooibos Tea (Red South African Bush tea) as it is laden with antioxidants.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:03 pm      Reply with quote
I've tried the Rooibos red tea serum Purpleturtle. It feels just like using a straight HA serum and I didn't notice anything special, but then I don't suppose you would if it's just preventing damage quietly in the background.

Texturewise it was a little thicker than the PSF HA so I found it made me a bit laminated looking - easy to water it down a bit though.

At least the weather channel sent you to a doctor and not a psychiatrist. Wink
montrealgal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:29 pm      Reply with quote
PocoLoco wrote:
Not that I know of, but Tubotica.com does have PPD ratings of the sunscreens it sells, as does Kathleen's website.

As far as what the minimum PPD should be, this depends partly on whether you are suffering from melasma or other pigmentation issues. If not, you have a little more leeway. For me, if I know I'm not going outside much at all, I might wear a sunscreen with PPD as low as 10. But if I'm going outside much I will wear one with PPD 20-35. I have several brown "sunspots" on one cheek but that's all...

Thanks, PoloLoco. You saved me the $40+ I had been planning to plunk down for a Shiseido suncreen! Smile

The search continues Rolling Eyes
starburst

Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:34 pm      Reply with quote
Hi guys i am a new convert to this increadable site! i have really shopped around for sunscreen and i really need some help. I am tired of looking like a ghost with high spf! I really need a tinted moisturiser with spf 30+ phyisical block. I do not tolorate the chemicals. Has anyone here got any experience with aBELLA SKINCARE? THEY SELL IT ON SKIN STORE AND IT HAS A TINTED SPF 30. With 3%tio and 3%zio what do you think? is it going to be enough for day protection? it says it is total block but the physicals only seem to provide about 6-8 ppd if you are lucky! I would really value your advice, help and reccomendations. Best wishes girls! thankyou very much
PocoLoco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:11 pm      Reply with quote
Hi there, Starburst. In my personal opinion, that product does not provide enough protection to prevent the aging effects of UVA radiation. It would probably prevent sunburn just fine though, if you apply enough and repeat the applications frequently.
starburst

Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:41 am      Reply with quote
Thankyou so much I have decided to return it and go back to a higher spf. I am so paranoid about it all. I was born and brought up in Dubai with major sun exposure! i have been wearing sunblock for years now so i have shopped around but i thought that it would be ok to go to 30 as now i am in the uk to study and just need basic coverage as i am never in the sun for long.This site is such a great discovery! I AM OBSESSED WITH ALL THINGS BEAUTY- it is so nice to have a kindered spirits! Thankyou for your advice. Please add more if there is anything else out there! Also what do you think of products that reverse sun damage?any reccomondations? xx
PocoLoco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:38 am      Reply with quote
I think that retin-A and the OTC retinoids are great for gradually reducing sun damage, if your skin can handle any irritation factor from those. Also copper peptides from SkinBiology.com are helpful to many people. It's a slow gradual process, but so is sun damage. I think those are the only two products that work (other than pigmentation correctors). Some say that Vit C serums work also, and there have been some studies to that effect.
leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:33 pm      Reply with quote
I have been very puzzled by the statement made about UVA rays and that they are constant all year round. So, I contacted Environment Canada, a Government Agency to get an answer from them. They just replied. Here is what they said:

"UVA rays are higher in summer and lower in winter. The main difference is that they are not affected by a change in the thickness in the ozone layer. The ozone layer is normally thickest in late winter and thinnest in late summer, so the seasonal variation of UVB is slightly greater than that of UVA. In the summer, the sun is higher, so all types of radiation will be greater."

Hope this helps those who want to know.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:42 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |