Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Baby Quasar Light Therapy
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:48 pm      Reply with quote
MACrisis wrote:
tiger_tim wrote:

MAC, you must have just about every gadget brought out for the face in that collection!!

With all of the beauty tools and skin care products I bought for last 12 months........ all sun spots are still there, all wrinkles are still there, and, and, and,........, my laugh lines are not getting any better. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad If, if, if I bought this Baby Quasar and nothing gets better...... Anybody has Katee's address???

Is it toooooooooooooo early to buy myself a X'mas gift? Valentine's day is gone, Anniversary is gone, Mother's day is gone, Birthday is gone,..... Only X'mas is coming!!! Do people buy gifts for themselves on Thanksgiving?

yano there is labor day coming up Wink !!! and still laughing on katees' address !! And if this work think of all the money u'll save on future gadgets.

and a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANNIE
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:32 pm      Reply with quote
Hi katee and all - I hate to bring such a sobering presence to this discussion Anxious Anxious Anxious , but I'm a little confused about some things.

First of all katee, why were you getting microdermabrasion and Gentle Wave treatments -- what skin conditions do/did you have, and what results were you hoping to achieve -- from those treatments that you hadn't gotten from IS Clinical use?

***I'll be the first to admit I'm woefully uneducated about microdermabrasion and have only a faint idea about the details. Sorry -- after a year on this forum, I should know more but I don't Brick wall Please correct me if I'm wrong in thinking it's some kind of manual exfoliating procedure (a kind of sandblasting for the face?) to help diminish the appearance of lines and scars. Beyond that, I really know nothing about the exact technique, what other skin conditions and problems it may be appropriate for, and the expected results. I'm too lazy to do any research right now -- if anyone's willing to bring me up to speed, just very simple, basic info would do! Ditto about Gentle Waves!

ALSO and more importantly, what is the scientific theory/logic behind the Baby Quasar? I can understand Dermal Tone for example -- it simply exercises muscles which will have a fairly lasting effect as long as there's a certain frequency/regularity of use, like any other form of exercise. But what exactly does the Quasar do to the skin or muscles to achieve results?

Sorry if I've deflated any of the excitement and euphoria here -- I just want a better comprehension of all this -- I'm in the dark!!!
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:04 am      Reply with quote
MACrisis wrote:

I checked ebay earlier this morning there were 2. I read the post and only one left. I thought you "buy it now" instead of bidding. I wonder who bought that one and who outbid all of us?? Must be a silent one....... Tiger, Mabsy, Candy, Bushy............ Fifi, Gina, Roadbee........

Wish it was me!! I'm still dithering over the customs charges etc (ooh, but the FX rate is really favourable right now...) and probably by the time I finally decide to go for it they'll all be gone Sad . I've never bought anything from Ebay before, it always seems really complicated - feel like such a luddite Embarassed .
Mabsy

Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:06 am      Reply with quote
MACrisis wrote:
I checked ebay earlier this morning there were 2. I read the post and only one left. I thought you "buy it now" instead of bidding. I wonder who bought that one and who outbid all of us?? Must be a silent one....... Tiger, Mabsy, Candy, Bushy............ Fifi, Gina, Roadbee........

Laughing Don't look at me! But if you buy it I'll have to come visit you and try it out Bad Grin
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:32 am      Reply with quote
m.april wrote:
Hi katee and all - I hate to bring such a sobering presence to this discussion Anxious Anxious Anxious , but I'm a little confused about some things.

First of all katee, why were you getting microdermabrasion and Gentle Wave treatments -- what skin conditions do/did you have, and what results were you hoping to achieve -- from those treatments that you hadn't gotten from IS Clinical use?

***I'll be the first to admit I'm woefully uneducated about microdermabrasion and have only a faint idea about the details. Sorry -- after a year on this forum, I should know more but I don't Brick wall Please correct me if I'm wrong in thinking it's some kind of manual exfoliating procedure (a kind of sandblasting for the face?) to help diminish the appearance of lines and scars. Beyond that, I really know nothing about the exact technique, what other skin conditions and problems it may be appropriate for, and the expected results. I'm too lazy to do any research right now -- if anyone's willing to bring me up to speed, just very simple, basic info would do! Ditto about Gentle Waves!

ALSO and more importantly, what is the scientific theory/logic behind the Baby Quasar? I can understand Dermal Tone for example -- it simply exercises muscles which will have a fairly lasting effect as long as there's a certain frequency/regularity of use, like any other form of exercise. But what exactly does the Quasar do to the skin or muscles to achieve results?

Sorry if I've deflated any of the excitement and euphoria here -- I just want a better comprehension of all this -- I'm in the dark!!!

m.april you do seem to have a good understanding of microdermabrasion. The exact procedure is like sandblasting. The crystals are blasted at the face through a tube and are instantly removed through the same tube using very strong suction. I had one done and it did not hurt although the amount of suction was a little disturbing. There is very little down time after microdermabrasion and my face felt a little irritated for a day or so. You are correct in what microderm is used to treat-fine wrinkles and scars. It is also supposed to result in clearer pores and smoother skin. Personally I will not have another one done for two reasons. One, the suction truly frightens me. I am not prone to broken blood vessles but I just imaging one of them popping from the suction and it scares me (I realize this may not be a rational fear). Two, my skin had the absolute worst acne outbreak of my life from the microderm!!

As for the Baby Quasar. I don't know too much about it but for the price I would need to do tons of research before purchasing. Has anyone seen studies proving it's effectiveness and/or safety? I am a little concerned about using something that has not been around long enough to know what the long-term effects of use would be. That being said it does seem intriguing and I will be doing some research on it!
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:43 am      Reply with quote
I might put try to shed some light on the question about why you do the other procedures even with the great IS Clinical results, although I can't speak for Katee. I also go get microdermabrasions and facials even as the IS does great things for my skin. MY med/spa helps remove dead skin that builds up and because of my rosacea I could easily cause inflammation. It doesn't hurt to have a spa grade exfoliation now and then, plus they will do extractions, masks, steaming, etc. Even if this Baby quasar is great, I would probably still have them done. (Plus our family gives these as gifts for pampering ourselves at Christmas, birthdays.) Micro is great for smoothing and evening out texture, tone, etc.
I talked to my esthetician about the Baby and she knows a few spas that use them, not as intense results as IPLs's, but the pulsed light seems to plump up the collagen, which in turn minimizes the lines.
Thanks for all the birthday wishes!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:04 am      Reply with quote
I caved! Just did a BIN and am now eagerly awaiting its arrival. Now, I have to say that with the not so helpful to my pocketbook but VERY helpful to my beauty regime, I have gotten some really wonderful reviews and subsequent purchases from recommendations here on the forum.

I love my Oxylight - zaps and I mean zaps the zits in emergency cases! Had a freak breakout on my chin recently and used the Oxy for about 15-20 minutes. The zits fell off in 2 days and they were pretty bad.

Clarisonic brush - expensive but great product for exfoliation; very happy w/it.

Too many makeup/skincare products to count! About to try Obagi but still not sure yet. Will have to see what the dermatologist says.

Thanks, Katee. I say that only a little, tiny bit sarcastically. Smile
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:30 am      Reply with quote
Theresa-my hubby asked about the safety issues as well (although he gets IPL's). My esthetician said excercise caution around the eyes and since it is not a LASAR per say, just pulsed light at a lower dose, the radiation or UV lights of a tanning bed would not be a factor. Now if this was the Thermage or Fraxel type, this would be dangerous in the hands of the average consumer as it would penetrate into the deeper levels of the dermis.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:34 am      Reply with quote
Does anyone know how this thing actually works? Does it just 'plump up' the skin so it *looks* like your fine lines are better or does it actually benefit the skin in the long run?
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:07 am      Reply with quote
Thanks TheresaL and AnnieR for your indulgence and input! I guess my only remaining questions are about what these laser/light-type devices actually do to the skin. Like lily, I need to find out before I jump on the bandwagon.

For instance, a Harvard-educated plastic surgeon I know told me a long time ago that RetinA works by irritating the skin, causing inflammation. This in turn causes swelling and the the resulting exfoliation. Any diminishment of fine lines is caused, he said, by the swelling. Irritation and swelling will cause the skin to counteract by producing a bit more collagen. This, he said, will produce only temporary benefits to the appearance of the skin. Now, he's a surgeon so obviously he prefers anti-aging procedures that include cutting, rather than topical treatments, so this has to be taken into consideration. But I guess my questions about the Baby Quasar relate to the retinoid phenomenon -- does it just cause temporary swelling? Does it then cause exfoliation? I have trouble tolerating retinoids, so I'd be wary of using a device that causes the same kind of reaction.

And I guess I'm also concerned about long-term safety issues, but to be honest, I don't have a general fear of small electronic devices being hazardous -- usually, the radioactive emission is so slight as to not be a health concern.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:02 am      Reply with quote
m.april I will not go into it here but there is a a lot of information about the mechanism of action of retinoids. Honestly, I think that they work by means other than irritation and that you don't need to experience irritation from retinoids to get benefits. There may be some evidence that at least of portion of the visible benefits from retinoids are caused by irritation and the resulting swelling, etc. but there is actally a debate about this and it is not accepted as fact. I absolutly think that it is incorrect to say that retinoids work only because they cause irritation. Here is a link that Molly posted on our forum recently. It has a wealth of information on retinoids and should clear up some of the confusion about how retinoids work.
http://www.makeupalley.com/user/notepad/tetrakis

I too am very interested in knowing how exactly the Baby Quasar works. I will be doing some reserch and if I find out the mechanism of action I will let you know.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:02 am      Reply with quote
My skin cannot tolerate retonoids in general either. Proheal is about all I can do, and that sometimes causes slight peeling. Hence, the occasional skinamster facial (hand debriding using ultrsonic waves, very gentle) I get to help my skin turnover since microdermabrasions are a bit much for my skin these days. But yet when I get the IPL's I don't have any peeling afterward, just swelling (extreme). But it does tighten and firm.
I'd like to know more about the actual science behind it (although I've already committed to the trial run), so if anyone comes across or can shed more light on it, please input. Maybe it's MAGIC! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:15 am      Reply with quote
katee I just want to clarify something before I do my ton or reaearch. The Gentle Waves treatments and the Baby Quasar are LED photorejuvenation and not IPL photorejuvenation. Is this correct?
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:29 am      Reply with quote
Katee can you tell us exactly where u place this on ur face, I get the sectioning part just not the placement part. I am sure all 8000 of us that ordered it yesterday would be greatful.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:51 am      Reply with quote
Ipl's would have to be different than the Baby Quasar in the way that they use the intense pulsed light, more like a laser (flashes and heat) and quasar is wavelengths. I do know that Ipl machines have to have the tips and bulbs replaced often, I've checked into buying my own. Don't think I can pop myself 30-40 times though w/o walking away from it and cursing. If I pay someone, i'm forced to lie there for that amount.
We could always contact Advanced Technology and ask them to explain, I've read their descriptions but still not quite clear of the differences other than what I've said.
Their website is:
http://www.cosmeticlight.com/products_baby.html

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:16 am      Reply with quote
this might help its about gentle waves:

How the GentleWaves™ LED Photomodulation System Works
• GentleWaves for skin rejuvenations the only device to utilize Photomodulation technology. It uses energy from LED sources, delivered at proprietary fluences and pulse algorithms, specifically matched to the cellular processes that enhance skin
rejuvenation. This patented technology is only available with the GentleWaves device.

• The first fully integrated anti-aging program, it includes the LED device and a complete skin care regimen designed to enhance and maintain the results of treatment. The home skin care products feature dermatologist-tested cosmeceuticals and scientifically developed nutraceuticals to complement the GentleWaves LED Photomodulation procedure.

GentleWaves™ Features and Benefits
• No side effects, downtime or pain
• Remarkably safe and effective for all skin types
• Non-invasive, non-ablative and non-thermal so there's no injury to the skin surface
• Fast and convenIent: Takes less than 5 minutes
• Treats large areas such as the entire face or chest
• No aftercare is needed
• Comprehensive anti-aging skin care regimen for home use
• Affordable and cost-effective
• Compatible with other skin rejuvenation techniques
• No modification to the treatment room in the doctor's office is required.
• No new staff or additional training

How is GentleWaves™ Unique?
• Current high-tech skin rejuvenation therapies operate via photothermolysis to thermally injure tissue and induce a wound healing response or use chemicals to peel damages tissue. However, wound healing responses are proven are unpredictable and are an imperfect mechanism for achieving new collagen production.

• Gentle Waves is the first and only LED device to receive marketing approval for a medical claim associated with cosmetic improvement of aging and sun-damaged skin. It improves the skin without relying on high energy sources and heat damage. For the first time, we are slowing down collagen breakdown and building up new collagen with no pain, no redness and no serious side effects.

• Gentle Waves uses specially coded arrays of light emitting diodes to modulate the activity of living cells. Unlike other laser, pulsed-light or radiofrequency techniques used for skin rejuvenation, the core technology of this device delivers very low-intensity, non-thermal light energy to stimulate collagen and reverse the appearance of photoaging.
It is also excellent for treatment of the hands, neck and chest areas.

so if I read this right thermage ect use extreme heat to damage skin so new collagen can grow; this does same without the heat and damage.
belledivine67
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:18 am      Reply with quote
I am also concerned about safety issues. What agency approves this device?

I sure that some of you will research this to the hilt.....therefore I will wait to make such a substantial, impulse purchase.

In the meantime I will continue to treat my horizontal forehead lines with Bliss No Motion Lotion.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:30 am      Reply with quote
MelissaMarie-I just found the same info page as I started googling. Seems from what I've read its much safer than Fraxel and Thermage as it doesn't run the risk of the fat loss you can have from the deeper penetration.
Here's another link to a description and testamonials:
http://photoskincare.com/quasar_sequepulse.htm

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:31 am      Reply with quote
Hi Everyone,

Here are some links for those who want to know more about the BQ. Please note that all the product info is from the seller of the product, Advanced Therapeutics. And yes, it is the same seller selling on ebay.

http://ledtherapeutics.com/

http://www.cosmeticlight.com/products_baby.html

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FKILJW/103-5229176-2797421?v=glance&n=3760901

If I was in the US I would probably jump on the bandwagon since I could return it easily if I wasn't happy with it. But I will wait to hear other testimonials, especially re: how it works for hyper-pigmentation and see if I can find some research from a third-party source before buying.

Those who have purchased -- good luck! Would appreciate hearing your experiences. Hoping for all of us that this product is a winner! wave
fenn
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:35 am      Reply with quote
Arghh!! Why didn't I come here just an hour sooner...geez I just placed an order for an ultrasound handheld device due to raves from a local forum. Sad And having also just purchased Nulase 2 months back, I simply can't justify buying one right now..or can I? Confused MACrisis, how do you find the nulase? I still haven't figured out if using it for half an hour a day is enough for results and not sure if I'm even seeing any. Any advice would be really appreciated! TIA!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:41 am      Reply with quote
MelissaMarie wrote:
so if I read this right thermage ect use extreme heat to damage skin so new collagen can grow; this does same without the heat and damage.

Thanks for the infomation! I did some reserch on the Gentle Waves also and I think that is a good way to put it MelissaMarie.

I also answered my own question as both the Gentle Waves and Baby Quasar devices use LED not IPL. The difference being that IPL does what MM said uses heat to damage the skin while the LED devices increase collagen production (the also inhibit the MMP enzyme responsible for collagen breakdown, so it works by two mechanisms) without heating or damaging the skin.

For those of you wanting a more thorough explanation of how the LED photorejuvenation works check out this page. The pdf links at the bottom are particularly usefull.
http://www.lsvcv.com/photomod.html.

It does seem like there is some science behind the LED photorejuvenation, in particular the Gentle Waves system. I have not seen any studies to back up the claims for the Baby Quasar or the regular Quasar. If anyone sees any please let me know. I am a cautious person by nature and while this stuff seems safe and effective I still feel that I need to look into it more. katee thanks for posting this!!! I find the whole LED photorejuv thing very interesting and feel that it could be very promising.

BTW I imagine most of you will say no but I will ask anyway. Would any of you who have bought the Baby Quasar be willing to do a half face test and report back?
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:43 am      Reply with quote
Annie ur info is great that you found, it does answer most questions. Also by looking around, one will pay way less shipping if they buy from amazon versus ebay. Same seller, same price, huge diff in shipping cost. And I do love the 30day no questions asked money back policy!!!

I also love that the site u found Annie, tells how to use it!!
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:55 am      Reply with quote
Diamond microdermabrasion is a form of exfoliation. It also is supposed to increase collagen production. The principal reason that I got the microderm done was that it is supposed to increase the effectiveness of the Gentle Waves treatment. And, the Gentle Waves treatment is supposed to encourage the formation of collagen. It's effects are apparent immediately and increase over time.

I'm very happy with the way my skin looks using the IS Clinical, but my view is that now that I'm in my forties, anything that encourages an increase in collagen is a good thing. I'd never had a microdermabrasion treatment before. I always limited extra exfoliation to the use of mild scrubs and stuff if that. The effects are great though.

I'm not sure what it was that confused you exactly m.april, so I don't know if I've clarified it at all.
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:10 pm      Reply with quote
I typed that answer hours ago but just sent it. I didn't realize that there had been so much back and forth in the interim....

Just a couple of things that come to mind. First - on the microdermabrasion process: most derms have abandoned the old crystal spray mechanism in favor of diamond microdermabrasion. Instead of the spray of what I believe were aluminum oxide crystals, they now use a diamond tipped wand. It literally sands the dead skin away and vacuums it up. I had no irritation or redness at all.

The Gentle Waves procedure (and the Quasar that mimics it) is different from IPL. IPL treatments can be felt - in fact, many practitioners use a numbing cream. With Gentle Waves, and its variants, you have the option of pulsing or continuous wave light - but you don't feel anything at all. The light is deep penetrating and is meant to excite collagen production. The effects are not temporary.

NASA did a series of extensive studies on the use of deep penetrating light to enhance tissue growth. The procedure has been used for years to promote healing and tissue regrowth. It has become a standard treatment for burn recovery. It is only recently that it has been utilized for cosmetic purposes. There are alot of handheld "photrejuvenation" devices out there. But, as I understand it, most of them aren't strong enough to have much effect. I spent some time reading the NASA studies before I went ahead with the Gentle Waves treatments and found them absolutely fascinating.

Anyway, I thought I would just add that. Anyone who knows me knows that I'm the ultimate skeptic. I prefer science over magic. Also, there are very few things in this world that induce euphoria for me - and NONE of them are related to skincare Wink .
Advanced Therapeutics
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, my name is Alex. I am the sales manager at Advanced Therapeutics and am responsible for all online sales. We appreciate your positive feedback we've been given from this thread. I am here to answer any questions you might have about light therapy.

Alex Webster
Advanced Therapeutics
(800) 944-1523
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:53 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |