Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Green tea-discolouring teeth?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:30 am      Reply with quote
Can green tea discolour teeth? Ive been drinking alot of it lately and i noticed today how discouloured my teeth are getting. My teeth have been a bit yellow for years but now its like there's light brown stains appearing Sad Does green tea have tannins in it? It may not be that but i dont smoke or drink red wine or coffee so trying to isolate what it is...maybe its just getting older..another thing to add to the list!

Thanks Very Happy
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:44 am      Reply with quote
Yes, most teas are known to have a cumulative staining effect, but good green tea is also anti bacterial, so a quick swish in the mouth after a meal is better than regular mouthwash.

I think now, with a good whitening toothpaste, there should be no problems.

(A historical fact, Chairman Mao NEVER brushed his teeth - hence they were black as night - but swore by green tea, and never had a cavity Neutral )
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:46 am      Reply with quote
yup, any tea will pretty much stain your teeth. i am an avid green tea drinker and try to brush right after my second cup in the morning.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:04 am      Reply with quote
Ah damn-thought that might be it and here i am trying to do myself some good! I might have to try a different toothpaste and see if it helps, maybe even cut back on how much i drink(i have about 5 cups a day)
Thanks Very Happy

I used to drink black tea and thought changing to green would be better as its a paler colour but i guess it dosent make a difference?
jlrobatzek
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:38 am      Reply with quote
Mixing a 50/50 ratio of Hydrogen Peroxide and mouthwash with help with the stains. Use it once a day, but not swallow it. Also I drink my coffee out of a straw, which keeps my front teeth from staining.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:27 am      Reply with quote
carol--black tea stains more than green tea, and white tea stains less than green tea. i was considering switching to white tea, but i think green tea has more antioxidents. yup, and i am sure we're doing our bodies a lot more good and switching toothpaste could probably do the trick. maybe even those white strips they sell could help.

oh, jlrobatzek, drinking from straws causes mouth wrinkles, the action is like smoking, pursing of the lips. and that's worse than stained teeth in my opinion, so i stopped using straws a year ago Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:52 am      Reply with quote
I hope i dont sound to dumb but i bought some white tea the other day and it just looked liked normal black tea. While i didnt expect it to literally be white, i was expecting it to be light in colour like green tea is.
I loved the taste of it though,better than green tea i thought but i was worried about the darkness of the colour staining teeth.

Can anyone tell me if white tea is meant to be so black looking?

Thanks Very Happy
jlrobatzek
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:12 am      Reply with quote
Straws cause wrinkles!! Shock
I'm going to have to come up with a new way to drink coffee!
tweety
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:18 am      Reply with quote
can anyone recommend a really good flavored green tea? MOst of theones i've tried , I can't taste anything but the tea, and it'd be nice to have a tea where I could taste a little bit of other flavors. kwim?
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:50 am      Reply with quote
I drink green tea and white tea. The white tea is a very light yellow. As far as a good tasting green tea, I love Coffee Beans Japanese Cherry.
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:07 am      Reply with quote
Would taking Green Tea Extract capsules have the same effect as drinking Green Tea? Bought some yesterday at Walgreens.
tweety
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:36 am      Reply with quote
skincarefreak...where do you get the coffee beans japanese cherry green tea?
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:54 am      Reply with quote
I'm not sure where you live tweety, but I get it from Coffee Bean.

http://www.coffeebean.com/
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:33 pm      Reply with quote
carol--do you mean the leaves are really black or when you brew it, the tea water looks blacker? white tea leaves should be lighter than green or black. and when you brew white tea, the tea water should be lighter also.

tweety--i love flavored teas and i buy my teas from adagio teas online. i like their mandarin green tea and citron green tea. they have a lot of other flavors also.

i recently bought the white tea flavors sampler pack of white tea because a friend of mine told me white tea offers like anti-inflammatory/microbial benefits. the sampler is really cute, you get 4 little tins of blueberry, peach, tangerine and tropics tea. each tin is also generous in size too. i am not sure if i would buy the full sized white tea because i know green has more health benefits, but some people like the flavor of white tea better.

http://www.adagio.com/green/green_sampler.html?SID=ddd7571b4274165b00e32e621d69a136

http://www.adagio.com/white/white_flavors_sampler.html?SID=ddd7571b4274165b00e32e621d69a136

aries--it's probably better to be drinking tea than taking supplements.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:12 pm      Reply with quote
Green tea is good for teeth! From celestialseasonings.ocm:

Protecting Your Teeth

Green tea experiments have shown promising results for your teeth as well. Asian health providers have longed talked about how drinking green tea can promote oral health. Scientific and medical literature now back up this ancient claim - information from both human and animal studies demonstrate how green tea works against bacteria that cause cavities in teeth.403,407 Also, green tea naturally contains fluoride, which protects teeth from cavities

I've read the fluoride in green tea can actually whiten your teeth and prevent plaque.
ahau
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:15 pm      Reply with quote
Green tea will stain your teeth, but is very good for your health and skin. A huge dilemma.
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:34 pm      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted, the white tea i bought was in teabags and it is dark looking,and goes black when seeped in hot water,definately not light like yours, maybe it wasnt a good quality one...i dont know.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:49 pm      Reply with quote
carol--i only drink loose leaf tea, it's higher quality, tastes better, and i don't worry about the bleach from white tea bags. i think you save more in the long run also, it's cheaper by the cup maybe even though initially it seems expensive.

violetanne--tea stains our teeth but it definitely does have fluoride in it which is good for our teeth, and it also tannins which cleans inhibits bacteria growth that causes tooth decay. thanks for mentioning that, had almost forgotten that extra benefit Very Happy

i agree the benefits outweigh the cost, so i just keep brushing after i drink Wink

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:06 pm      Reply with quote
Haha I just brush my teeth after I drink it.
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
Yes i think ill start doing the same as i only drink it when im home...but i did hear you shouldnt brush your teeth to much!
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:50 am      Reply with quote
i heard brushing too hard makes the gums recede. i guess i brush about 3 times a day. when i wake up, after green tea, and at night.

5% products discount

Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:08 am      Reply with quote
I heard that white tea is supposed to be higher in antioxidants and healthier than green tea.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:10 pm      Reply with quote
i think white tea is higher in some anti-oxidants, i am not sure which ones, but good thing i am drinking both Very Happy

Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:12 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |