Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Is it really that easy to do your own eyebrows?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:50 am      Reply with quote
I've never shaped or plucked my brows. I had them waxed I think once at the most. I really want to start giving them a shape and filling them in etc. I don't know about the idea of going to a salon non-stop for that though.

What's the easiest way to do them yourself? I've heard of drawing in the line with a brow pencil and just plucking outside the line, but how do you determine where that line should be and how do you make sure that each brow matches each other in the line and shape?

I hate my brows. They are not that dark and actually disapear kind of at different angles.
Rachael
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:07 am      Reply with quote
You could try the Shavata eyebrow kit. It contains stencils that you put over your own eyebrowns, pencil in and then pluck out everything outside the stencil. In the UK you can get it from QVC, not sure about anywhere else though!
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:06 am      Reply with quote
I just went to a salon and had my eyebrows waxed so that they got a decent shape. (Didn't trust myself to do it.) Now I just keep a check and immediately pluck any hair I see beginning to grow outside the shaped area. It doesn't take long and is easy.
jlrobatzek
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:22 am      Reply with quote
I have to agree with Majorb. I don't know that I would trust myself to shape them myself. I get them shaped at the salon, then just puck the strays. Whenever I'm bad at the upkeep. I go back to the salon.
teatea
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:51 am      Reply with quote
I go to the salon for my brows every 3 months and do the upkeep inbetween.
It really makes a difference when I go and you end up looking fabulous!
Verdigris
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:07 am      Reply with quote
I've always done mine myself. When I became conscious of the strays, I just started plucking under the browline (I'm lucky because I have a fairly defined line, so it's easy to see the ones that are stragglers). My mother told me to never pluck from the top. I know that some consider this to be ok, and others say it's a no-no. I've never done it. I quite like the shape I've given myself, but I recently noticed that they were slightly uneven (one was bushier than the other). Confused I don't know if I got slack or if it's always been like that, but am trying to rectify it now, without overdoing it in my zeal.
poofybabypenguin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:15 am      Reply with quote
If it's your first time, go to a salon to get it done. Much easier to maintain a shape rather than creating it Wink I'm great at doing ONE of my eyebrows, just have plenty of trouble making the other one look the same Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:00 am      Reply with quote
The line Anastasia has a kit that has everything you would need. Set includes: Tweezers, Brow Powder Duo, four Brow Stencils, Duo Angle/Spooley Brush, Brow Gel, and an Eye Lights highlighting pencil.

I have to pluck every day.
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:52 am      Reply with quote
teatea wrote:

What?!?! Every 3 months? I know for a fact my hair doesn't grow that fast and I go get them waxed about every 4-5 weeks.
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:33 am      Reply with quote
I have always tweezed and shaped my own eyebrows and never trusted anyone to do them for me. It really is easy and pain free, at least for me it is. The trick to getting the perfect shape is knowing where your angles should be. From your pupil follow a 45 degree angle to your eyebrow and that is where your arch should be. Take that same 45 degree angle from the outer edge of your eye to the end of your brow and that is where your brow should end. Don't overpluck!!! My God I can't tell you how easy it is to do this, in fact I can admit to getting carried away myself. And please ladies (and gentlemen too) please do not make your eyebrows in the shape of a semi circle. Clown brows have never and will never be in style nor are they they most flattering shape. I agree that drawing in an outline with a brow pencil or eyeliner is the easiest way to go. This way, after you've decided the angles, you can just tweeze freely below the outline and not run the risk of over tweezing. Also, keep in mind that our eyebrows will never be perfect and they will never be exactly the same to each other. That is why we have makeup, so we can lengthen or darken, etc to make them look alike. The key is not to stress about it. We are all perfectly imperfect! Wink
jillian831
5% products discount

Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:28 am      Reply with quote
teatea wrote:

I agree. Getting it done professionally and then just keeping them up makes such a huge difference in your appearance. After I get mine done I notice I don't seem to need as much eye makeup.
TooInvolved
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:31 pm      Reply with quote
I've always done mine myself. It's very easy, although I've given myself a couple bald spots. The funny thing is if I wax the wrong spot, it must leave me traumatized because I end up staring for a few seconds at the spot where hair used to be, wondering what happened.

Ever notice Southeast Asian women often have perfect eyebrows, beautifully shaped and so precise? Apparently, eyebrow threading is their secret.

A thread is wrapped around the hairs and pulled to remove the unwanted ones. So far, I see only perks to this process. I found it to be much less painful than waxing or tweezing, and I can see why it’s growing in popularity in the US.

A week after my first-ever session and I had barely any regrowth, unlike with waxing, after which I normally see little hairs within a few days. Even worse, waxing can take off a layer or two of my skin. Yeow! And threading is completely natural and devoid of chemicals.

Threading leaves your hairline more precise than waxing, too.

I'd try it if I were you, if you're nervous about DIY.

Best,

T
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
Very easy to maintain either my plucking or waxing ONCE they've been shaped. A professional shaping doesn't cost much and it's well worth it.

I know that a few years ago, I got all cocky and decided I wanted to alter the shape a bit and that I could certainly do it myself Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes . I'm usually so good at that sort of thing. I REALLY screwed up my eyebrows and it took a long time to fix 'em.
Verdigris
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
For anyone who knows anything about threading, I can't see the difference between threading and plucking? Waxing yes, because that takes a layer of skin off, but it seems that both threading and plucking just pull the hair out?
TooInvolved
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:47 pm      Reply with quote
Verdigris wrote:
For anyone who knows anything about threading, I can't see the difference between threading and plucking? Waxing yes, because that takes a layer of skin off, but it seems that both threading and plucking just pull the hair out?

Yeah, they both pull the hair out, but threading is much faster, less painful to me and gives a precise line.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:15 pm      Reply with quote
I stopped going to the salon because I got sick of spending the money on something I can do myself. If they need a good plucking, I'll hold a warm washcloth over my brow beforehand because it softens the hair making it easier (and less painful) to pull a lot of them in one sitting. I've been doing it free hand and haven't gotten into trouble yet. I just seem to know where my arch should be. Cool Oh, and I trim them, too, as they get long. You just need a pair of those blunt ended scissors (well, I do so I don't cut my face!) and an eyebrow comb. COmb up what you want to go, and run the scissors along the comb.
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:40 pm      Reply with quote
Wow. So many replies. I am a little bit nervous about doing it myself. It's good to know that once you have it done professionally you can keep it up yourself and don't have to get it done that often.

I can't believe that it's something I've never gotten into before. Probably most all woman shape or pluck their brows. I think it makes such a difference in a woman's looks, whenever I see professional photos of celebrities with really nice brows and shapes. I've just been so lazy and low maintenance about my looks. I really want to change that though and so need a major makeover.

There is a place a salon near me that does threading, it's like $30 or so. I was thinking about going, but wondering how hard it could really be just to start doing it myself and getting into the habit of doing it myself and knowing how to do it myself.

What I don't know though, besides for where the arch should be, there are so many different shapes from very subtle to very high arches and from very soft and curvy to very sharp and pointy. How do you know what will look best on you and your face? Does the person doing it always know what will look best or do they just ask you what you want? When I had them waxed once, and I don't remember it hurting at all, but I also don't remember thinking much of it or that it made much of a difference in my look at all. I know when I see photos of different woman's brows what I like, I just don't know if what I like on them is what will look best on me. Do I just bring photos in with me when I go? Thanks. I also really need to learn how to correctly do eyebrow makeup and fill in the brows etc. cause everytime I have tried it before it always looked horrible and unnatural and clownish and I always washed it off right away. I have no idea what I am doing or how to do it right so it looks totally natural. How do you learn how to do that? Also for those who use mineral makeup, do you have any recommendations on the best mineral makeup product for brows? Thanks.
Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:56 pm      Reply with quote
BYRG, you should have the person who is doing your brows show you the shape she or he plans to give them. (Show you where the arch will be, etc.) You should also make sure that they understand what you're hoping to achieve, whether it be neater, thinner, more arched, etc.

Getting your brows done is no different than having your hair done in that you'd seldom just go and sit in a chair and say "do my hair, please." Find some photos of women with face shapes similar to yours and pick out what you do and don't like about your brows - even take them with you. If you find that the person at the salon is impatient with you, just go somewhere else instead.

Your eyebrows say so much about who you are and how you see yourself. I don't think you should let anyone touch them with wax, thread, tweezers, etc until you're 100% confident that they know what you want.
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:20 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Tosca. I'll take photos. I definitely see the difference in the way brows make a woman's face shape look like and all from those actresses with constantly changing brows. Often the too thin makes them look older and the pointy archs seem to counter act round faces. I would love an expert opinion but I have seen many photos I like.
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:20 am      Reply with quote
For anyone in Sydney I recommend seeing Martha at ther MAC counter in DJ's. It is $45 and she does an amazing job. She was trained by Bobbi Brown. I'm going to see her next Saturday. I went in feb last - she keeps my brows thick which is how I like them but shapes them beautifully.

You get to spend the $45 on MAC goodies which is nice too.
Cool
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:51 am      Reply with quote
BYRG--it really depends on the person doing your brows. i got mine threaded for about $5 (i live in southern california), and the lady made an awesome shape that i loved and we didn't talk about it at all--mostly because she didn't speak english and i don't speak punjabi. on the otherhand, i took my sister to another salon and my sister's brows ended up looking like tadpoles Sad . so maybe you can bring in some celebrity photos of your ideal brow shape and see which one suits your face best.

5% products discount

Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:43 am      Reply with quote
Ok.
The beginning of your eyebrow should be allianed with the red part of your eye closest to your nose (dont know what it is called).
Your eyebrow should arc a little to the right of your pupil. Then it should end above the other red thing closest to your ear.
Send me a mail if you have any questions.
daisylondon
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:25 am      Reply with quote
I wouldn't even think of doing my eyebrows myself. They are the most important part of your face. I'd rather spend the £15 a month on them than on make up. I'm sure the ladies on this list who do their own have nice eyebrows but the people I know IRL who are very proud of doing their own eyebrows and have done them for years always have them too thin. So if it's your first time, I'd get them done and review how you feel later.

Also to be honest, in my case my laziness kicks in again, I'd rather have them threaded every three weeks for 15 mins than spend ages in front of my mirror trying to get them right (and plucking hurts so much!).

If you've got a salon near you that's got threading, then you could go and watch them doing it and see what sorts of shapes people come away with. If you think wow yeah that woman's come away good eyebrows for her face then maybe the lady can do them for you.

I used to have my eyebrows waxed and it was quicker so seemed less painful, however, threading is much more precise and I like the way it grows back. Also waxing is not good in the delicate area as you get older due to its pulling effect.

I go to a threading bar called Blink, it's important to always go to the same person. Actually they have a loyalty scheme so it works out cheaper than £15 a month. Threading is big in the Indian subcontinent and also in the Middle East, I have not heard or seen it in south east Asia. It's really important to find someone you feel comfortable with. Every threader I know does their own eyebrows too so have a good look at their's!
Sel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:29 pm      Reply with quote
I agree that threading is amazing, when compared to waxing or plucking. It's far easier to find someone to give you a great shape that you're happy with and then you can pluck the re growth yourself at home. I found a local Asian salon that does it for only 5 pounds a time. With threading they are able to give you a really clean look and able to take out really fine downy hair aswell.
TooInvolved
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:20 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, BYRG and DaisyLondon-

$30 for threading is very high. Mine was $6.

Southeast Asia to me includes the middle east. Maybe that's the wrong term?

T
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:25 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |