Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Acne Prone, Combo Skin / Serious Skin Care & Paula's Cho
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
chevycamarolvr
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:24 am      Reply with quote
I have oily/combo skin that is VERY prone to breakouts.. I wouldn't call it straight up acne, but I always seem to have a blemish (or two or three!)

For the past two years or so I've been using the Serious Skin Care Daily Ritual cleanser, and whatever moisturizer I decided to buy at the store when I last ran out... Usually some type of "normal" moisturizer for my cheeks and something meant for oily acne prone skin on my tzone. I don't use any toner. As a spot treatment, I just use that cheap Clearasil stuff. I don't wear heavy makeup, usually just eyeliner, mascara and a simple dusting of powder to keep the shine down. (I can't stand foundation, I feel like a clown!) So I don't think it's a thing of too much makeup clogging my pores or anything.

The SSC seemed to work for a while, it kept my breakouts in check and helped with the blackheads/whiteheads I tend to get as well. I really do like the cleanser, it has little scrubbing beads and makes my face feel so clean without leaving any residue feeling behind... But the past few months I've notice it doesn't seem to be effective anymore. I'm breaking out horribly again and have flaky dry spots around my nose and mouth (the heaviest moisturizing cream doesn't seem to help either). My Tzone seems oily than ever too.

I was on MUA looking for a new product line to try and came across the Paula's Choice. It got decent reviews and has quite a few products meant for my type skin... I ordered a kit this past weekend and am hoping it arrives ASAP. There seems to be a money back guarantee, so hopefully it won't be too difficult getting my $$ back if I don't like it.

Is it possible for one's skin to become... I dunno.. tolerant of a product, persay, that renders it ineffective?? I'm disappointed the SSC doesn't work any more, as I really do like it.

Has anyone had any experience with Paula's Choice?? Can anyone recommend anything else that may help?!
jlrobatzek
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:17 am      Reply with quote
I used to love SSC, but I too found that it stopped working after awhile. I thought that maybe they changed their formulas, or the products they set to the stores were slightly different than what you order online, but I've seen a few posts that said it stopped working for them.
Please let us know how Paula's Choice works for you?
ahau
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:05 pm      Reply with quote
Rodan+Fields or Skinceuticals' new acne kit
Sel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:23 pm      Reply with quote
I've used a few Paula's Choice products and found a couple of them helpful, like most lines there are a couple of products that stand out, but the others I could take or leave.

I agree that your skin does seem to build up a tolerance to products after a while, which is a shame when you find something that works for you. I've been trying to vary my use of some products. Though I suppose as time goes on your skin care needs do change so you have to change your products accordingly.
smqueen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:57 pm      Reply with quote
i got paula's choice gentle cleanser last month.. its not bad.. but i dont like it enough to repurchase. although its great at getting all traces of makeup off!
i also got the extra strength acne gel.. it does nothing.. all the acne spot treatments ive ever tried have not done anything for me Sad

i think most people need to change skincare products with climate change (i learned that this summer) as your skintype changes a bit and also as you guys have said as your skintype changes or skincare needs change you need to change products too~
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:29 pm      Reply with quote
I have acne-prone skin ... and it used to be very oily. For years I tried various systems ... only to find that after 6 months of working well ... my body/system had become "immune" to whatever current system I was trying and my face would revert to it's annoying, acne-prone state! Crying or Very sad

The only thing I found that worked for longer than about 6 months was OCM. I've been doing OCM for almost a year [started late last August] and while I still had a slight "adjustment" period when Fall turned to Winter ... and Winter turned to Spring ... even those were far milder than ever before ...

OCM not only cleared my acne ... it also normalized my skin so it's closer to "normal" ... although my T-zone is still slightly oily sometimes.

I use a home-made glycolic/S.A. toner ... and I use my own Pearl based moisturizer ... and MMU. In my 55 years ... my skin has never been clearer ... well ... except maybe when I was a child. Laughing

At any rate, I will probably never cleanse my face in any other fashion.

Hope this helps.

Mary

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:41 pm      Reply with quote
hpjrt

How do you make your toner? I'm looking for a little something more than ACV.
Bosoxy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:22 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Chevy!

I had a '76 Camaro that I used to absolutely love to drive... and my cousin had a '77 limited edition Camaro with the pointed decoration on the front lights.

For a while I used to have to use the window as a door as the hinge was bent down due to the weight of the door and it stopped opening... then when I was pregnant with my son I thought that it was about time to get that fixed as I would soon not be able to get into my car! Laughing Laughing

Anywho! That child is now a teen and he is having good luck with Ice Elements.

I recently did a review of it here:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=15222

If you are interested in the products, which are aloe vera based, you may want to hop onto their message boards and ask Brenda, the Esthetician, what she would recommend for you. If you do not want to detail your issues on the board you can PM her and she will get back to you.

One of the wonderful things about those who work at Ice Elements is that if you want to incorporate other items from other lines they will assist you in that as well.

Whatever you choose, I wish you luck in finding happy skin!
Bosoxy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:01 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using Serious Skin Care (Daily Ritual Cleanser, Clarifying Treatment, Moisturizer, Unplugged, Glycolic Cleanser and Dry-Lo) along with Neutrogena Advanced Solutions Acne Mark Fading Peel. Adding the Neutrogena Peel has definitely made the difference for me. It speeds up the fading of the scars and the healing of the breakouts.
I don't have a problem with dryness because I use Cellex-C High Potency Serum and Aloette Cellular Day Defense SPF 15 in the morning. I also started drinking a lot more water.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:24 pm      Reply with quote
Bosoxy wrote:
For a while I used to have to use the window as a door as the hinge was bent down due to the weight of the door and it stopped opening...
Holy crap -- the SAME THING happened to my '78 Camaro!! Had to get it fixed three different times over the 19+ year life of the car!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
heehee!

Yeah, I bet that door weighed more than some of the cars built today!!!

OK, a slight exageration.... Rolling Eyes but I think you know what I mean... lol! lol!

I would love to be able to get that car fixed up and on the road... a lot of memories... Wink

Take care.
Bosoxy.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:17 am      Reply with quote
Hi Chevy,

I also have prone/blemish skin. I'm now using her products and they're fantastic Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

5% products discount

Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:34 pm      Reply with quote
ok Kate Somerville stuff is pretty good...I use it for all things and so does my husband, it's pretty funny watching him put on masks and stuff cuz I never thought he would even though he has skin issues(that's saying it nicely) but he will be 30 soon and we have 3 kids so he figured he better do something soon cuz he's getting tired of it...check them out online they offer samples of stuff too..FYI
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:21 pm      Reply with quote
I've used three things from Paula's Choice- antioxidant serum, BHA lotion 2% and the skin balancing cleanser.

The BHA lotion was way too greasy for my liking. I used it a couple of times, but couldnt tolerate the greasy residue it left on my face so I quit using it before seeing if it really does help my acne.

The cleanser was ok- mild, gentle, gets rid of makeup and doesnt make my face feel tight after cleansing, but I didnt consider repurchasing due to the shipping costs. But a month ago, my skin got SOOOO bad, and I used this cleanser and it seems to have calmed a skin a lot. So based on that, I will repurchase! Very Happy

HTH
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:50 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |