Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

morning after pill
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:49 am      Reply with quote
yeah...last night for the first time the condom broke on my boyfriend and I during "intimacy." My sister is convincing me to call and get the morning after pill but they want me to come in tomorrow which will be about 36 hours after the incident. I read its ok up to 72 hours to take the pill, but the earlier the better. It sucks because it's going to cost 65$ and im not even sure if i will have been pregnant or not. I know it sounds silly but are there any cheaper methods for preventing pregnancy? One answer i give myself is not doing it in general...my boyfriend is paranoid more than ever because his friends gf literally just got pregnant. I don't want to have an abortion...I really don't ever want to experience that.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:00 pm      Reply with quote
IMO I think spending that $65 is better than risking an unwanted pregnancy. I'm not sure whre you live but if you live in Canada and you have Pharmacare it's covered by that. I've gotten this pill 2x for myself and 2x for some friends (they were going through the same thing as you, very unsure, it's good to have someone who have used it to be with you or go with you to get it). Pharmacare pays for most of it, I remember paying $2 once and less than that the other times. If you live in the US I'm not sure but medical insurance SHOULD cover it.
But if you decide that you should get it, you should do it asap, it's most effective the sooner you take it.

Don't worry too much, we are all here for you.
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:13 pm      Reply with quote
im not sure why i asked if there was a cheaper method...probably because my boyfriend asked. I know in the longrun ill have to take the pill, because there is no way i am going to put myself through an abortion, let alone the idea of killing a child. I am definitely pro choice but that does not mean i want to ever experience what its like to get rid of a baby. they wont cover the pill but its far better then the other option. Thanks.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:32 pm      Reply with quote
purpleturtle wrote:
im not sure why i asked if there was a cheaper method...probably because my boyfriend asked. I know in the longrun ill have to take the pill, because there is no way i am going to put myself through an abortion, let alone the idea of killing a child. I am definitely pro choice but that does not mean i want to ever experience what its like to get rid of a baby. they wont cover the pill but its far better then the other option. Thanks.

Im sorry you are going through this, its a scary sitution I know. My advice would be to get the MA pill if you are really concerned. My hubby(then BF) and I had a similar incident last year which resulted in a little "surprise". Although Im thrilled that we had the baby, I understand maybe you are not in a situation to care for a baby now. I would look into a backup method of BC like a diaphram or the pill, just to be on the safe side. I also have some concern for your BFs reaction to this happening...IMO if he is unwilling to accept the responsability of his role, and be filled with paranoia at the thought of you being pregnant, and push finding a cheaper method on you, I might re-think that relationship. I dont mean to sound harsh or judgemental at all, Im just speaking from personal experience, sorry ahead of time if it came across like that. Smile

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
IMO, $65 is worth it for a peace of mind.
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:26 pm      Reply with quote
It's better to be safe than sorry.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:53 pm      Reply with quote
You should visit a family planning clinic such as Planned Parenthood. It astonishes me sometimes that women simply do not know what sort of options and services are out there for them to take advantage of. For example, in Michigan, if you have no insurance, or even if you do and it doesn't cover birth control pills, you may be eligible for government benefits--it's called the Plan First! program. Also, if you go to college you could get the pill practically free from Health Services. You can get the pill from PP for $20. You should also start using spermicide with condoms if you decide not to go on a hormonal method...

Sorry, I just feel strongely about this issue! If you're having sex you have to be aware of what may come of it and be prepared for whatever you decide to do about it.
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:51 pm      Reply with quote
I am actually going through planned parenthood for the pill. They told my sister it would be $65. I am insured by my parents (i attend college therefore am covered), and havent really considered any other places of calling. I had a gynocologist i went to, but i dont think they are very helpful so i stopped going. My parents do order their medications through pharmacare, but im not very educated on how they would go about me obtaining the morning pill. Either way my boyfriend is going to cover the cost, but if i can find a cheaper way it's alot easier. After this incident I think it's time I get myself back on the pill, but im going to have to find a gynochologist that gives me more options. the people at the last office tried dissuading me from getting off the patch because they claimed there wasn't enough of a threat to get off it...right. That scared me.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:51 pm      Reply with quote
I am actually going through planned parenthood for the pill. They told my sister it would be $65. I am insured by my parents (i attend college therefore am covered), and havent really considered any other places of calling. I had a gynocologist i went to, but i dont think they are very helpful so i stopped going. My parents do order their medications through pharmacare, but im not very educated on how they would go about me obtaining the morning pill. Either way my boyfriend is going to cover the cost, but if i can find a cheaper way it's alot easier. After this incident I think it's time I get myself back on the pill, but im going to have to find a gynochologist that gives me more options. the people at the last office tried dissuading me from getting off the patch because they claimed there wasn't enough of a threat to get off it...right. That scared me.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:44 pm      Reply with quote
Inquire about the HOPE program at PP. It's a program where you can get on and stay on a birth control method of your choice (pill, patch, or shot) for two years without an exam. If it's been over two years since your last exam they will suggest you have one, but they will not force it on you. Good luck.
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:35 am      Reply with quote
I totally agree Violetanne. You should know your options long before you wind up in a situation that causes concern.

"My parents do order their medications through pharmacare, but Im not very educated on how they would go about me obtaining the morning pill." Why not ask?

If you attend college then there should be a medical facility/medical services on campus. They should be able to help you and probably for little money. Also, since you have insurance through your parents then why aren't you exploring that option? Contact your insurance provider or doctor and tell them the situation. I also read that PP sometimes offers a sliding scale based on economy. If you are low income a morning after pill might be less. Have you (not your sister) contacted them? You should and do it now.
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:45 am      Reply with quote
Purple,

Sorry that you're going through this. I actually took the morning after pill several years ago as a back up. From what I recall it's a two step cycle. They say the window is 72 hours, but in actuality it can be taken even like a week after, but like you said the sooner the better.

If you need to talk feel free to PM me.
Natz87
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:25 pm      Reply with quote
awwww i feel for u ,

i had to take the MA pill last year and its really better having the peace of mind , im in the UK so its free here because of the NHS but IMO its worth it just to put ur mind at rest
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:34 pm      Reply with quote
i opened my options this morning. I called my old gynocologist and i qoute her "We do not offer our patients the morning after pill." I had a feeling she would give me an answer like that and i googled the morning after pill to find a site that offered to call in the morning after with a $25 consultation online on your medical info. I put it in and they emailed me saying they'd fill the script. With my parents pharmacare card the Lo-ovral was only $5 so altogether it came to 30 instead of the initial 65. Money is not a problem but im glad i kept my options open.

Natz87,
there are a lot of things that i envy about places in europe such as the UK...that kind of freedom to get the pill so easy can be good for us people who actually use contraceptives and may occasionally need a backup plan. I really hope the US gets a reality check and they decide to make the morning pill over the counter:(

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:57 am      Reply with quote
About Europe, morning after pill hre in Sweden is available without a prescription. You just go to the pharmacy and get it from the people behind the counter. I don't know if I agree with it since it seems that a lot of girls here use this as a birth control but there you go. It costs about €12 or so. I think it's great that it's low cost, but it could be a prescription drug. That won't happen here though since it's already OTC.

I think that many Americans believe that the morning after pill is the same as the French abortion pill and that's why many places will not offer it. They are NOT the same. Also, if separation of church and state is the law in America then why does this always become a religious issue when it comes to allowing it? It is a medical issue, not a religious one.
Linnie
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:02 am      Reply with quote
Pharmacists can also give the morning after pill in Québec.

5% products discount

Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:49 am      Reply with quote
I got mine with no problem in Toronto, canada. Just have to go to the doctor office and ask for it.
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:03 pm      Reply with quote
I wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions. I took the pills and am having nasty side effects. I was aware i'd probably be nauseous, but im also bleeding and last night my bowels were insane about an hour after (yes, i know this is personal and disgusting.) My body never even reacts to food that crazy so i didnt know what else to blame it on but the fact that I had to take 4 pills all at once. I hope I feel better before I go to work tonight.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:59 pm      Reply with quote
Anna_in_Sweden wrote:

I think that many Americans believe that the morning after pill is the same as the French abortion pill and that's why many places will not offer it. They are NOT the same. Also, if separation of church and state is the law in America then why does this always become a religious issue when it comes to allowing it? It is a medical issue, not a religious one.

Thank you, Anna. I live in the US and I totally agree! I'm sooo pro-birth control!! Very Happy

Purpleturtle,
I'm so sorry you're having side effects! Sad *Hug* I hope it passes for you soon. Maybe it'll help a little to think at least you avoided months of morning sickness! Smile
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:11 pm      Reply with quote
Take care of yourself purpleturtle...so sorry you're going through this. Crying or Very sad
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:16 am      Reply with quote
the MA pill is a huge dosage of birth control pills. you'll be fine. i would much rather take the MA than go through the abortion procedure. i read up on that one, and it is truly terribly sounding.

anyhow, hope you feel better

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:09 am      Reply with quote
I'm from Canada and there are sexual health clinics in most places where you can go in anonymously and ask for it. I'm not sure where you're from, but maybe you have a similar option. Even if you don't, $65 is nothing compared to erm the other option..

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:03 am      Reply with quote
Someone mentioned that it can be taken up to a week afterwards. It's called the morning after pill and not the week after pill.
Up to 72 hours is considered the time frame.

Here's an article that came out today:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060818/bs_nm/barr_contraceptive_dc

I love how the article says that people are worried that this will make teens more promiscuous. While that might happen to some they will behaving sex whether adults like it or not. Allowing options rather than teenagers having babies is surely the best way to go, not too mention cheaper for society.
chevycamarolvr
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:36 pm      Reply with quote
purpleturtle wrote:
I wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions. I took the pills and am having nasty side effects. I was aware i'd probably be nauseous, but im also bleeding and last night my bowels were insane about an hour after (yes, i know this is personal and disgusting.) My body never even reacts to food that crazy so i didnt know what else to blame it on but the fact that I had to take 4 pills all at once. I hope I feel better before I go to work tonight.

I think that's normal... If I understand it correctly, the pills are meant to stimulate contractions in the uterus so it expels its contents.. If there's nothing in there, you can't get pregnant, right?? That's how I undestand it anyway.

I hope you feel better. It must be rough... Maybe next time use a backup method. There's so many to choose from and it's so easy to get them. I'd rather take a few extra seconds each day taking my pill or an extra moment to put in a diaphram than worry about being pregnant and go through what you're dealing with! JHMO.
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:23 am      Reply with quote
Alright..i read the site again where i got lo-ovral and it never said bleeding could be a side effect. I took the pills Wednesday evening and it is monday morning now and I am still bleeding heavily. I didn't know a woman's body could prepare itself within a 12 hour frame to lose this much water/blood:/ My periods are generally about 6 days long, but this is kind of a bummer having such a long bleeding time. I really hope I don't get a second period after this (when i'm actually due)

Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:02 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |