Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Where to pay extra on skincare?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:12 pm      Reply with quote
What do you consider worth spending your money or skimping on with skincare?
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:43 pm      Reply with quote
I spend the most money on sunscreen and serums (vitamin c, lightening serums, moisturizing ones). I also spend a lot of money on moisturizers and cleansers but not as much as the first two.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:46 pm      Reply with quote
I skimp when I can, and need to do so more often! Laughing
Wein
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:07 pm      Reply with quote
i on the other hand spent more on cleansers and moisturisers!
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:09 pm      Reply with quote
I am a firm believer in that if you take exceptional care of your skin, teeth and hair then you will always be beautiful and fresh. What I try to do is keep my skin great with as few products as possible, so I am not spending great deal of money and my routine stays simple.
I am currently saving for photorejunivation as I had a laps in good judgement last summer and did damage to my very fair skin. That way I wont have to cover anything up with makeup! The things I spend on are, an excellent sun block/screen(its a girls best friend), peels from Plaitium sk, Fresh umberian clay treatment bar, my oils, good foundation and blush.
I have not found drugstore brands that are superior in the above categories.

I buy cheap brands of cleanser/makeup remover, mascara, and lip gloss. As I go through those quick I see no need to shell out the big bucks.
I also do research on everything I purchase, absolutely no impulse buys, and I always try to find a deal. This practice keeps my shelves clean and my wallet happy, and b/c I sift through the duds and only use what works, I can afford to have money for luxurys like manis/pedis, and a great hair cut. Very Happy

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:11 pm      Reply with quote
I skimp the most on cleansers because they stay on the skin such a short time. I use a shea butter cleansing bar or a green tea cleansing bar, both from makeupartistschoice.com. I've never found anything I liked more than these two, and they're only $10.00 for a huge bar. These are my HG cleansers. I never experiment with others unless they are free samples, but even then, I never like anything as much as these two. That's not to say they're for everyone, of course! I prefer to squander my money on creams and serums, though. Very Happy
lifeisbeautiful
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:35 am      Reply with quote
The way I am spending on skin care products, I should look to skimp on everything Embarassed !!!

vonstella I envy you - I wish I can be so clear headed - and my drawers won't be stuffed
with forgotten bottles and cans. Totally agree with your line of thinking ... less is more.

I am willing to spend on quality serums (especially for lightening pigments - yet to find my HG); good foundation (La Prairie Caviar); sunscreen & peel (currently using Juice Beauty). ALmost missed out - my Jan Marini Lash Growth Serum - the way it goes I may save on further expenses on mascara Laughing !

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:38 am      Reply with quote
I read your post as meaning where can I pay more for skincare.
Embarassed

I think foundations and moisturisers are the most important products.
Ninetynine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:25 am      Reply with quote
I skimp on cleansers and tend to spend on moisturers as I think most cleansers tend to do the job but there is a big difference in the moisturers.
Olivia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:11 am      Reply with quote
I guess in my head I think the eye area is the first to show age and the products are never cheap so I splurge there. I use dermalogica intensive eye repair. I love it. I also splurge on masks because you dont use them all that much so they last longer.
nomoreneckpain
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:55 am      Reply with quote
Hi all, Boy I wish Vonstella was my spending guru-my credit card might stay in my wallet more! I tend to spend less if I have cash than if I have plastic! Like most I spend more on serums, actives and eye creams/serums. I spend less on cleansers and masks. I want to do some DIY to help save money, but need somebody to push me over the hump (no small task ROFL).
Natz87
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:17 am      Reply with quote
I think I spend too much full stop Laughing

I like to spend more on my skin care especially things that are used daily like moisturisers and cleanser, and i pay extra for weekly treats and serums Wink . i skimp on make up really, dont buy expensive mascara,blush,lip gloss except my mineral make up. The way i see it is no amount of make up can make up for bad skin so by looking after my skin and payin a litte extra i can make savings on the make up Very Happy
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:52 am      Reply with quote
lifeisbeautiful,
It wasnt easy getting where I am, I used to be horrible about buying anything and everything, but my skin still looked bad and I was always broke!
I more or less was forced into this way through circumstance, although now I think its way better for me.

nomoreneckpain,
I never use credit cards for bueaty stuff as I too will get carried away(unless buying online). I always know what Im buying and take the required amount of cash to the store, when I do experiment I always keep my recipt, so if I dont like the product I can return it. I also keep a list of things I want, oddly enough just writing it down will help with my consuming desire to buy it! I usually wait 1 month before buying anything on my list to make sure I really want it. Come to think of it Im probably a salespersons worst nightmare! Shock Laughing

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:33 am      Reply with quote
I would spend alittle less on cleansers and things that don't spend alot of time on my face. But I would splurge on things like serums, moisturizers, etc. Of course, I've been using the Dermalogica cleanser and just order the Yonka gel cleanser ... is that considered a splurge or a steal? Smile
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:29 pm      Reply with quote
Emma2006 wrote:
I read your post as meaning where can I pay more for skincare.
Embarassed

Me too Laughing I found the title very confusing. I love spending on skin care and especially like to pay more for unique ingredients like epidermal growth factors or potent antioxidants. I love luxurious textures and fancy packaging, especially opaque packaging which always looks new and full of product.
ja2006
5% products discount

Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:06 pm      Reply with quote
Skimp on cleansers, toners, and masks.

I pay more for serums, moisturizers (with SPF), and exfoliating products! Those are the ones that make the most difference in your skin
Harmonster
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
Tosca wrote:
I skimp the most on cleansers because they stay on the skin such a short time. I use a shea butter cleansing bar or a green tea cleansing bar, both from makeupartistschoice.com. I've never found anything I liked more than these two, and they're only $10.00 for a huge bar. These are my HG cleansers. I never experiment with others unless they are free samples, but even then, I never like anything as much as these two. That's not to say they're for everyone, of course! I prefer to squander my money on creams and serums, though. Very Happy

Words of wisdom... I'm going to try and be more like you. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:48 pm      Reply with quote
Save and skincare........omg ur kidding is that possible Rolling Eyes
Mabsy

Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:13 pm      Reply with quote
I used to skimp on cleansers, but then I discovered the Cellcosmet one....

I used to skimp on masks too (years ago) but then someone here introduced me to Valmont Renewing Pack...

I used to think serums were not necessary and now I'm reliant on vitamin C serum (no skimping there!).

Years ago I used to use Clinique eye cream, but then Barbara posted here about Cellcosmet Eye Contour Cream....

I could go on but I won't Smile The bottom line is that I just don't skimp anymore. This is not to say that it's not possible. I think you can get good basic cleansers and you can also find a very good moisturiser with SPF30 (like Hamilton, for example, which is EXCELLENT and cheap). As I said before though, I would never skimp on vitamin C serums (you can DIY but don't buy a cheap unstable serum).

Come to think of it, if you put in the initial investment in raw materials, the DIY thread is worthwhile checking out if you want to make your own serums, masks etc Wink
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:30 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry if my title is confusing.

I like to go out shopping with cash in my wallet too. Years ago, there was a drastic change in my life and I had to change my lifestlye. But often I like to review and see if there is a better way to save money. It is hard for me to skimp on skincare because I really see the bad affects it has on my skin. I (no joke) was sweating really hard when I made my first purchase of Vitamin C from Skinceuticals then switched to Vivier but now hard to find in my area. But as three months past, I still had a decent amount of product left in my 1oz bottle! I find less is more but quality is very important.

I had to start this post because I wanted to see what other people are doing, and see if I was on the right track Very Happy
autumn
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:04 pm      Reply with quote
I think it is possible to save some money on skincare snf makeup.

I like some of the DIY masks - aspirin, etc.

I buy d/s cleanser (currently Aveeno calming cleanser & makeup remover - Vichy calming water.) I also like Cetaphil moisturizer in the green tube if I feel dry.

But I do spend more on sunscreen and treatments. Again these are from SDM but more high end. Avene, La Roche Posay and vichy.

I also buy most of my makeup from Avon or the drugstore - mascara, lipsticks, stick concealers, eye shadows, etc.

Unfortunately I discovered Mineral makeup and while it is reasonable I tend to want to try a lot.
maggieq
5% products discount

Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:19 pm      Reply with quote
I spend most money on skincare, but I try to keep it as simpe as possible. I spend a lot money on firming serum, night cream, and day cream (include sun cream). I never buy expensive mask because I go to beauty salon every two weeks. On top of that, I do take a lot antioxygen pills.
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:48 pm      Reply with quote
I splurge on the skin care and skimp on the body care. My face always comes first. Laughing
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:44 am      Reply with quote
Skincare wrote:
Sorry if my title is confusing.

I like to go out shopping with cash in my wallet too. Years ago, there was a drastic change in my life and I had to change my lifestlye. But often I like to review and see if there is a better way to save money. It is hard for me to skimp on skincare because I really see the bad affects it has on my skin. I (no joke) was sweating really hard when I made my first purchase of Vitamin C from Skinceuticals then switched to Vivier but now hard to find in my area. But as three months past, I still had a decent amount of product left in my 1oz bottle! I find less is more but quality is very important.

I had to start this post because I wanted to see what other people are doing, and see if I was on the right track Very Happy

If I am a fan of Cetaphil for oily skin, which Cellcosmet cleanser do you suggest? Can you use Cellcosmet cleanser on your eyes to remove makeup?
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:46 am      Reply with quote
Sorry, I selected the wrong quote. Laughing

I meant to ask Mabsy about Cellcosmet cleanser.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:57 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |