Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Interview with MD Skincare Creator (re Sunscreen)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Lucinda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
He said to apply sunscreen before moisturizer so that it "sticks" to the skin.

What does everyone think about this?
Jala
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
I've always heard and read to apply it after all treatments, including moisturizer, but before foundation, if you wear it. Confused
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:24 pm      Reply with quote
I reckon he could well be right. I mean none of the testing uses other products under it. It's all done on bare skin. I think I might do this if I was facing an optimal sun damage situation like on the beach or hiking, but for daily use I really don't like it first against my skin and you can tell if it sticks or not because your face looks sunscreen shiny and it's difficult to wash off at the end of the day.
Mabsy

Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:17 pm      Reply with quote
I've read before that chemical sunscreens should be applied first, before anything else as they need to absorb into the skin, and physical sunblocks should be applied last.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:44 pm      Reply with quote
Interesting.... Idea

Because I am prone to more breakouts/acne in the summer, I don't use moisterizer during the day that much. In fact, I use my sunblock as a moisterizer. But I will not skip my eye cream. Wink
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:58 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Mabsy
I'm not sure what kind of chemical SS you're talking about maybe the earlier kind because my reading is that the Euro SS are designed as far as possible to *not* absorb into the skin. Although they need to adhere well to the skin which is why they're so tacky they do their work on the surface not after absorption.
M Smile
Mabsy

Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:07 pm      Reply with quote
Molly wrote:
Hi Mabsy
I'm not sure what kind of chemical SS you're talking about maybe the earlier kind because my reading is that the Euro SS are designed as far as possible to *not* absorb into the skin. Although they need to adhere well to the skin which is why they're so tacky they do their work on the surface not after absorption.
M Smile

It could well be outdated info. I read this a few years back.
poofybabypenguin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
I always heard to apply ss as late as possible, even after makeup! Imagine that... I put on moisturizer where needed, give it a minute then ss. After that dries, then *poof* *poof* on the makeup Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:24 pm      Reply with quote
On re-reading I think that's somewhat flawed in terms of use. I mean, who would need to apply moisturiser *after* SS. It's so goddamn sticky and wet. Besides, it could be detrimental considering how many moisturisers contain SPF ingredients of their own these days you have to be very careful about degrading the SS chemicals.
Mabsy

Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:01 pm      Reply with quote
Molly - I found another definition that talks about "interaction" rather than absorption. I guess based on that it makes sense to keep the chemical sunblock as close to the skin as possible, and not obstructued by other products, so that it can adhere well to the skin. The physical sunblocks can sit on top of anything as they physically block, rather than relying on chemicals and adherance to the skin. I have not kept up to date with sunblock research but that seems to make sense on the surface.

Quote:
Chemical sunblock: Interacts with skin to absorb UVA and UVB rays. It takes 30 minutes for the chemical ingredients to react with your skin and start working so apply BEFORE you head outside. An example of a chemical sunblock is Parsol 1789.
Physical sunblock: Creates a reflective barrier between skin and the sun blocking both UVA and UVB rays. A good choice for sensitive skin, they provide less irritation than chemical blocks. Physical sunblocks also stay on the skin better and start to work immediately, so they are a great option for people with fair skin. Examples are zinc oxide and titanium dioxide.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:18 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Mabsy

These are first generation SS chemicals and I remember too you were always told to wait 20 minutes before you went in the sun.

I'm certain this doesn't apply to euro SS - there's no wait time for absorption, although some people like to wait until it's 'settled and spread' so to speak.

Molly
daniel7654
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:21 pm      Reply with quote
I wonder if this seals the sunscreen so it lasts longer??
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:26 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Daniel
I'm afraid from a lot of previous discussions I don't really think so. These SS, certainly the Euros, are designed to seriously adhere to the face already which is why they're so icky to use and besides, like I say, there are serious issues with moisturisers containing SPF ingredients degrading SS.
I think on bare skin is probably the best way to repeat how they are tested, but then they wouldn't be tested with moisturiser over the top either.
M Cool
Ninetynine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:31 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Mabsy

How can you tell whether a sunscreen is chemical or physical?
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:40 pm      Reply with quote
Physical is protection like titanium dioxide and zinc.

I had also read this interview and was going to post up today about it.
I was confused - as if I need more confusion where SS is invloved. Confused
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:27 am      Reply with quote
It's my personal theory only, but I do believe that sunscreens are one of the biggest hoaxes ever foisted on the public by the cosmetics companies and one day, hopefully soon, they are going to be hit by a swathe of product liability claims. It's one thing to make vague claims for other skincare products, such as removing wrinkles, improving texture, etc, however sun damage and skin cancer is a serious medical issue.

Of course readers of this forum are smarter, but there are more gullible people out there who actually believe they are "protected from the sun", whatever that means, by wearing a sunscreen.

Don't get me wrong, I love spending money on skincare products, but I'm only expecting my Valmont Renewing Pack, C serums, acids, etc, to hopefully improve my skin's appearance - not save my life.
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:19 am      Reply with quote
I was very angry when I found out that the Lura Mercier tinted moisturiser spf 20 is not a broad spectrum.
I feel that the cosmetic companies only put an inadequate sunscreen in their products so that we'll need to buy their anti-ageing products in later year.
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:00 am      Reply with quote
Emma2006 wrote:
I feel that the cosmetic companies only put an inadequate sunscreen in their products so that we'll need to buy their anti-ageing products in later year.

That made me smile. Hadn't thought of that.

And I thought I was the only one here who gives credit to the conspiracy theories regarding those huge corporations that make millions flogging their "sun protection".

Just did a quick google and apparently a class action suit has been launched in the States this year against five sunscreen manufacturers, regarding lack of UVA protection, waterproofing and other "misleading claims". Will be interesting how that turns out, but they'll be needing good lawyers with deep pockets as they're up against transnationals like Schering Plough and Johnson & Johnson.

Well, after the famous McDonalds coffee case, it seems anything is possible in a US civil suit.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:02 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |