Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Amanda Lacey Cleansing Pomade - hohum balm cleanser
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:08 pm      Reply with quote
Product description: light and soft textured balm (yes like smearing your face with herbal vaseline), with a very strong sharp herbal scent (can't quit pin my finger on it, but seems a little artificial for my liking).

Usage: I have only tried 2x sample tubs, but they do last a long way (well over 2 weeks for about 15gms of cleanser)

In the morning, I can use it straight after rinsing my face with warm water. I massage a small amount around my face and then rinse off with warm water and pat dry with a cold compress. It actually leaves my fingers feeling very squeaky clean (despite being entirely oil based) and my face does feel taut after drying.

In the evenings, I would only use it after a gel cleanser, especially if I have used makeup. I don't think this is deep-cleasing enough to get rid of makeup and such. I only use this as a conditioning cleanser to rebalance oil on my face.

Because it is part of a facial experience, there are certain steps that they recommend to take after cleaning. Like the Eve Lom cleanser, you should finish off with a compress.

Overall: This is the first time I have ever tried a balm-based cleanser, because I have had good experiences with cream and highly oil based cleanser, I was not afraid to try this. I heard about the Amanda Lacey brand from a MUA review, while reading about the infamous Eve Lom Cleanser.

My skin hasn't experienced anything wonderfully different from using this (I guess my expectations are high after the significant changes seen from using Dr H CC and Jurlique face wash cream). But I think that it does help carry the Decleor Ylang Ylang balm into problem areas very well - meaning, if I use the Decleor balm on top of a spot after using this cleanser, it disappears overnight rather than the normal 2-3 days if I were to only use Jurlique/Dr H.

Basically, I'm thinking this is simlar to Eve Lom's cleanser and the Liz Earle Hot Rinse Balm. And I would use it to rebalance oil levels on my skin. It does not leave my skin feeling greasy at all, nor does it give me any blocked pores.

I could probably recreate the same experience by way of a DIY recipe, mixing oils and waxes/butters together with a few drops of suitable essential oils. So it wouldn't high on my repurcahse list, given the difficulty and price of sourcing the full-size product.
daisylondon
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:51 am      Reply with quote
Not fair! I was going to do a review this weekend and you've beaten me to it Laughing

Oh well, may as well do my opinion on this thread!

I started using Amanda Lacey cleansing pomade a few weeks ago after various research and this thread.
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=130356#13035

I bought this cleansing pomade/balm at Harvey Nichols Beyond Beauty as it's very convenient for me but I have since seen it in Fenwick's and there is also a website.

When I first put it on (after warming it up in my palms as instructed), it felt really 'melty' compared to Eve Lom which feels more vaseliney (well I guess Amanda Lacey is more pomadey than balmy!). The smell reminds of of some flowers but I can't think which ones. I can also smell the camphor (almost as a base note) which I know it has in it. It comes off with a cloth really easily. Cleanses really well, leaves my pores clean.

After a couple of weeks of using it, I thought to myself well the only reason I didn't like Eve Lom was because of the petrochemicals and maybe it doesn't matter so much with something you take straight off. And after all I prefered the texture. Then I remembered that I had some Eve Lom decanted in a travel bottle so I used it. My skin went absolutely mad! Really sore but also breaking out underneath the red bits etc. Maybe it couldn't tolerate the petrochemicals anymore? I left my skin completely alone of skincare and make up for a couple of days (and didn't leave the house much LOL) except for a wet cloth and got it back to normal. The I went back to Amanda Lacey and all fine.

I use cleansing balm mainly for its make up removal and deep cleansing. I don't find normal cleansers or gels do that properly and normally oil based cleansers seem to leave a film behind and clog my pores.

Will I repurchase this? Probably. But I feel i should deiver on my promise to test Spiezia so it's a tricky one Smile I also want to test OCM.

I am tempted by Liz Earle as I think it probably works just as well for a lot less money. The only thing that puts me off it is that they have a large number of products in their range (whilst Eve Lom and AL have their cleanser expensive as they say the cleanser should be the main thing and you hardly need anything else. Also to be superficial I used Liz Earle once when I was in my late teens and these days I buy 'better quality'. i.e. far more expensive stuff.
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:02 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Daisy

The Spiezia looks interesting (judging purely from the exotic looking name)

Let me know how you go with Liz Earle, and how the texture compares to Amanda Lacey.. I know that LE has shea in it, so could it be very thick and clogging??

I still love my Jurlique, and my skin has an 'about face' after returning to it from the Pomade..

I think my skin reacts better to slightly astringent oil based cleansers (like the Jurlique and Dr H CC) because I have used other cream cleansers and they are just once again Ho Hum..
daisylondon
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:23 pm      Reply with quote
Spiezia is a teeny UK brand which is certified by the Soil Association.

I know what you mean about Amanda Lacey and make up removal.

When I put it on, I dont think it will remove make up. The only thing I have an issue with is the texture (well ok it's also pricy). It just feels too oily to me, it's all oily rather than waxy like Eve Lom's balm (which used to feel as it was 'grabbing' the make up).

Saying all that, when I use my muslin cloth afterwards, and also the way my skin looks and feels, Amanda Lacey's 'pomade' is definitely taking all the make up off.

Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:30 pm      Reply with quote
There is also a new cleansing balm out from Vaishaly. I wonder if that is any good... I read about it at the beauty bible website and the range sounds good.
daisylondon
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:12 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, Vaishaly was one of the balms I found out about and reported in my previous thread.
I really liked the fact it was in a pump action and the SA said it was in that so they could omit preservatives. It was really expensive though, there was more in it so I know ml for ml probably not that different, but £59 is a lot to try something..!!! Maybe I should take a small pot in. Guessing the texture can't be that 'balm' like if coming out of a pump action?
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:30 pm      Reply with quote
That is expensive! I tried the website to see if there was any information on special ingredients, but it is not up and running yet. Another cleansing balm I want to have a look at is the one by Trish McEvoy which comes in a tube. I would take a pot in and ask for a sample. I wonder why balms are so expensive... most of them are based on beeswax or petrolatum... not exactly costly ingredients.
daisylondon
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:59 am      Reply with quote
True, they are pricy. At least Liz Earle is 'cheap' - oh I was flicking through the Setember issue of Vogue yesterday and they have a subscription offer - 12 issues for £38.50 + free pack from Liz Earle including cleansing balm!

Thanks for the heads up on Trish McEvoy's balm, I had no idea she did one though all my make up is from there. Any idea on ingredients? Website is not up and Nordstrom doesn't list them. Googled and did find this 'Trish McEvoy and her husband, dermatologist Dr. Ronald Sherman, formulated this new group of skin-care products. I naturally wanted to assume this meant improved products, including sunscreens with sufficient UVA protection and no fragrance (after all, a dermatologist should know better). Unfortunately, my assumption was wrong. It’s not that all of McEvoy’s latest skin-care products are bad. Rather, the formulas just lack a state-of-the-art edge to accompany their prestige prices, and the few sunscreens available are seriously problematic. What a shame, although it should still be noted that McEvoy’s makeup continues to improve, and that remains the chief reason to shop this line'

Off to Harvey Nichols in a bit to get my eyebrows threaded so will take a little pot in and get some Vaishaly product to test and will report back!
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:29 pm      Reply with quote
I am not sure about the ingredients in the Trish McEvoy cleansing balm as there is little nformation on the net, but I would ask for a sample of this one as well. I agree that most of their sunscreens are so-so, but like the mineral powder with SPF 15. Please let me know what you think of the Vaishaly if you managed to get a sample.
daisylondon
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:58 am      Reply with quote
Afraid Harvey Nichols wouldn't let me get put any Vaishaly stuff in a pot...store policy..!!!! I thought the SA was being difficult but she then told me if I went to Vaishaly's salon I would be able to buy trial sizes for £1 and if any of the therapists were free I could get a consultation on best products for my skin at the same time. (They won't sell these trial sizes in Harvey Nichols as it would be like selling samples and they don't want to do that). I will try and do this if I have time this week (Paddington is a bit out of my way), I wonder if they'll do it by post.

I did stop by the TM counter but the lady I have been buying my make up from for years doesn't work Saturdays and I'd rather talk to her than others as if they had any samples she would be generous. I had a quick look at the tube, number 1 was glycerine, beeswax was there but quite low down. Didn't spot anything petrochemically. Cost £42 but the tube was really big, also more hygienic than a pot. The consistency was good for lasting a long time. But only found one review on MakeupAlley and it's really bad!
lin23
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Daisy,
where in Paddington is Vaishaly's salon ? when i'm in London i usually stay in Paddington - i would love to go there next time.
thanks,
lin
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:02 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |