Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Guide towards better product reviews
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
katya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:02 pm      Reply with quote
Dollbird and TheresaL , its so great to read what you wrote, im new to this system and I will do my best to give good and true reviews of the products ive tried.I just dont want to spend so much money for products that dont live up to their claim.And your totaly right quality is not necessary pricey ! Im so suprised to see how much the members of this forum are devoted ! Its great !
Tripware

Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:50 pm      Reply with quote
As a new member, I welcome the advice. I will certainly keep this in mind in my product reviews. Although, I must say, I did get near instant results from the Decloeor Ylang Ylang oil! Shock
patrice
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
dollbird and theresa what great tips and appreciate your insight big time.

Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:40 pm      Reply with quote
I was thinking that it would be easier to find the relevant information we are all seeking if, when titling the review and follow-up feedback/comments, the exact product name is consistently listed.
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:06 pm      Reply with quote
Dollbird and Theresa, you posted some really valid points. I made some of those booboos in the beginning (we all get too excited when a product appears to be working). Now I wait a good couple of weeks until I'm confident enough to post a review. I would hate to mislead anyone.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:37 am      Reply with quote
So true
I have to admit I have been guilty of that as well, a couple of weeks ago I left a very positive review about Lancome products, but I realised after a while that my skin hasnt improved that much after all. Sorry to everyone Embarassed

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:50 am      Reply with quote
And that is what attracts me to this site is the honesty of people, SO BIG THANKS to yen, dollbird, babygirl and others who admit things many would not. It is so important for everyone to be up front and direct with evaluations and critiques because it is we the consumer who will pay the price, not the manufacturers. And there are very few places to go to get objectionable viewpoints on the millions of products out there. Wink

5% products discount

Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:54 am      Reply with quote
I would also like to point out that reviews should be just as carefully thought out when they are negative. I see so many people writing "I used this and broke out, this product sucks" when they are not taking into account other factors such as stress, food, weather changes, hormones, etc that could be the cause of the breakout.

Oh and another one that I find bothersome is when people try to break down the ingredients lists and make reviews based on that. Such as "this product has more aloe in it then that one so it is better for my skin" in reality there is no way to know from the order of ingredients what concentration of ingredients it is. it could be 51% water and 40% aloe and 9% other or 98% water and 1% aloe and 1% other. there just is no telling. Especially since below 1% ingredients don't have to be in order and colorants and fragrance don't have to be in order no matter what their %.
jjvk
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:49 pm      Reply with quote
Very Happy Smile
havana8

Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:16 pm      Reply with quote
In terms of ease of finding things on the forum, it would be great if the start of a new review thread had Review or Rave in the title, or even Mini Review as some have done... it makes it soooo much easier to find them when searching.
patrice
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
havana8 wrote:
In terms of ease of finding things on the forum, it would be great if the start of a new review thread had Review or Rave in the title, or even Mini Review as some have done... it makes it soooo much easier to find them when searching.

boy havana we must be having some ESP across the miles because I was thinking the exact same thing... i've spent so much time just searching for threads as the search engine does not work voery well. Even the approach someone said to go on google and do a "SUPER SEARCH", I had no luck....

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:08 am      Reply with quote
Great idea and I need to start contributing more. I haven't done any reviews lately because I haven't been trying anything new (other than makeup)and love what the products I use are doing for my skin. I went thru a phase of trying new things and my skin kept reacting badly to it. So I thought, why switch if things are working well for you and you found your routine? Then it takes weeks to turn it around! I had baskets of products I passed on to my friends. Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:10 pm      Reply with quote
GOOD IDEA!
I havn't report my any review because I didn't find anything is the most wonderful!I used cellcosmet for a week and I found some difference compare the other products. But i think i must try this product more time to describe more details:lol:

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:42 pm      Reply with quote
freefall2 wrote:
I'd also love to see follow-ups to reviews. If you are still using the product months later and still love it or if you decided later that it wasn't that great after all, it would be interesting to read.

I think the follow-up review is probably more important. It either validates (or not) the speel on the product. I know there have been a couple of things I have used that further down the track, didnt live up to the inital results
patrice
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:23 pm      Reply with quote
at this time i am into my 35 day of using dermlash on my left eye and revitalash on my right eye. have not noticed any difference other than some conditioning but when it does happen i will be reporting on the thread with the subject of lash intervention or JM one of those. i will have to look more closely at thos products i bought that have not delivered and comment on that, I have been remiss.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:43 pm      Reply with quote
These ideas are very good reminders.
I especially like the half face idea.
I did that the other week when I was trying different contact lenses - I wore the different brand in each eye.

It worked.
Very Happy
patrice
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:00 am      Reply with quote
emma are you the one who told me about Time4Beauty re the purchase of a microderm product? If so I do plan on purchasing one, but there are so many threads going I did not remember in which one you had told me to mention your name and I've not gotten to make the actual purchase at this time..

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:34 am      Reply with quote
No, I'm not Patrice. Sorry.

I know what you mean about getting confused with who posted what.
There is a member who posted about the good condition her hair is in now after using Carekate's serum and some skin actives stuff.

I can't recall that member. I wanted to read the thread again.

Confused
helenzwl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:32 am      Reply with quote
TAMgirl99 wrote:
Great summary dollbird! I think this should be added to the EDS content management thread. Very Happy

Laughing can't agree more!
donnababe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:15 am      Reply with quote
Some great posts!

I don't read the reviews very often for the very reasons dollbird posted. When reading boards like this, you really have to learn how to read between the lines and how to recognize whether a reviewer really knows how to test a product.

I tend to trust postes by certain people and ignore others. If "my people" post that a product is good, and we have similar issues, that's when I'll try something.
Dora
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:40 pm      Reply with quote
Great! I agree with you!
nickieygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 01, 2007 6:52 am      Reply with quote
Great information Thanks so much for good conclusion. I'm very agree with you.
razinkane
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 18, 2007 8:10 pm      Reply with quote
I don't give reviews just because I am so bad at words. I don't want to mislead people. AND I would hate to have people run out and buy something just because *I* like it. I have wasted so much money that way, and I know you make your own choices and I didn't have to buy that stuff, but its so hard to resist a review that raves so well about something you know? When I really get thinking about it, its no ones fault. I really think very few products out there actually *do* anything in terms of what we are looking for, so I think alot of the time I'm just exited my face looks more hydrated or isn't breaking out from a product or feels softer, something like that, meaning nothing "bad" is happening from the product, but not the results I thought I was going to get. Does that make sense, or am I a rambling idiot again. Laughing
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2007 4:28 pm      Reply with quote
These are all really good points. It's important, especially, to keep in mind the bit about how many different factors affect your skin - humidity, stress, diet, hydration, travel, change in routine, sleep, etc. It's not just your skincare products. And for some sensitive gals like myself, a product that I've been using for ten years can sometimes suddenly give me an allergic reaction. Nothing is consistent in this world, and sure there are certain ingredients that are predictable acne triggers, etc. but generally, our bodies change with even the slightest shifts in our life and this can be reflected in our skin. So any miracle or horror may not *necessarily* relate to that new product you just tried! Of course, that's not to keep us from reviewing, just something to keep in mind. Smile
Sakana
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
Great tips! I totally agree with La Mer. Not only was it a let down, I was allergic to it! I tried the eye cream I got hives all over my eye area! Couldn't go out for two days until I took anti-histamines!
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:58 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |