Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Mineral Make-Up (for Acne Prone Skin)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Kel
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:18 am      Reply with quote
Holy cow, I just watched a demo of how to use the mineral make-up. That stuff looks fantastic! Now since I've been living under a rock for a while, I've heard very little about mineral make-up and have some questions...

Do you need specific brushes? Also, do you need a brush for each powder, or can you mix and match?

How is the coverage on acne prone skin? Can anyone provide me with their own experiences with it? Also, does it clog up pores?

Now, I'm not a talented person, whatsoever. Is there a massive learning curve on applying mineral make-up? It looks difficult to me! Confused

Does it last a long time?

And lastly, is it quite easy to find or does it have to be purchased online? Is it expensive?

Sorry for all the questions, and I'm sure everyone is getting sick of them. I did read some back posts but, I was still left with questions.
ArtTeacher
5% products discount

Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:27 am      Reply with quote
I use BareMinerals and have acne prone/combo skin. I love the coverage, sicne you can customize it - heavier where/when you need it, lighter when/where you don't.

I use the brushes that came with my kit (great kit for he price, especilly for a newbie - how-to cd, brushes, two foundation colors - the works). I got it at Sephora. They last forever. I haven't tried any others though.

It lasts all day, which I love. The best thing about it, is that you don't get that "melt off" that you can get with liquid makeup.

It's very easy to apply - and quick too.

hth! Very Happy
Kel
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:33 am      Reply with quote
Thanks ArtTeacher, I'm checking out the Sephora website now. I'm on the East Coast of Canada and we lack the neat stores everyone else has!
Is it really easy to apply too much and look like a rodeo clown?
The one thing that appeals to me is how light it looks. I hate applying foundation, concealer and powder just to hide acne. It feels gross!

I'm all excited now! Something new to try....
ArtTeacher
5% products discount

Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:35 am      Reply with quote
It was the best makeup decision I ever made. I could never go back to liquid again. It does feel gross now.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:35 am      Reply with quote
I use BE. As to the question about acne coverage, I'd recommend getting the Bisque concealor-- it covers blemishes really well. I use a cheap Loreal concealor brush that I bought at the drug store for application. As for foundation application, I use my flawless brush to apply both foundation and mineral veil.
Misha
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:43 am      Reply with quote
I use Be too and I'm waiting on samples from Everyday Minerals. EM is much cheaper than BE and it doesn't contain Bismuth. It took me about a week to figure out the best way to apply it. For me, it disappeared later in the day without a primer and layering it. Primer, concealer, mineral veil, foundation, blush, mineral veil. I finish with the veil but I also apply it like a concealer on top of my blemishes (in addition to the actual concealer). It addes a little extra staying power where I need it. Liquid foundation was always flaked around my blemishes but BE doesn't. It covers my blemishes about the same as the liquid makeup I was using. The only thing I don't like is traveling with loose powder.
Kel
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:47 am      Reply with quote
violetanne: you recommend the bisque concealer? Please excuse my ignorance but, is there different types of concealer within the BE line? I'm confused since I've only used liquid concealers where there was only one "type" within a brand, just different colors.

Misha: What is the issue with Bismuth? Does it cause acne? I'm going to look into EM, thanks for the info! It sounds like it's a real trial-and-error type thing. Looks like if I get it I'll be doing the rodeo clown look on the weekend until I get it right! Smile
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:52 am      Reply with quote
Kel wrote:
violetanne: you recommend the bisque concealer? Please excuse my ignorance but, is there different types of concealer within the BE line? I'm confused since I've only used liquid concealers where there was only one "type" within a brand, just different colors.

Misha: What is the issue with Bismuth? Does it cause acne? I'm going to look into EM, thanks for the info! It sounds like it's a real trial-and-error type thing. Looks like if I get it I'll be doing the rodeo clown look on the weekend until I get it right! Smile

Bisque is just what BE calls their concealor. It comes in three shades, I believe. They also have an undereye conealor called Well-Rested.
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:57 am      Reply with quote
Hi Kel
Since you are new to the mineral makeups, I would suggest if you have acne prone skin-stay away from the minerals that have Bismouth (sp) Oxy and Mica in a lot of cases. They clog pores. BE is terrible!. It contains both I do believe and it is shinny and makes any pimples look huge. It settles in the pores and on the pimples and looks cakey. When I used BE for the first time, a while ago. I did have some blemishes...two days after using my skin broke out in these bumps (clogged pores) all over my entire face. It took months to get them all cleaned out and my skin back to normal. My suggestion, stay away from the Bis. Oxy products
Kel
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:58 am      Reply with quote
violetanne : Thanks a lot I'm definitely checking out this mineral make-up stuff! Smile
jlrobatzek
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:29 am      Reply with quote
Kel,
Try the everyday minerals. You can get free samples which contain 3 trial size foundations, a choice of a finishing dust or concealer, and a blush sample. You only pay shipping. You can figure out what the shipping is by picking you colors, then click add to cart. Then enter your address. You will know then shipping costs before you have to buy. I would recommend adding a kabuki brush to your order. It helps the foundation go on a bit better. Everyday minerals are bismuth fee.
Rachael
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:17 am      Reply with quote
Hi Kel, I would also reccommend Everyday Minerals. I too have oily skin, prone to spots and breakouts and (after buying several BE items!) soon realised that I need to use bismuth free products. Everyday Minerals ship to the UK so I guess they'll ship to Canada too. Their customer service is very good so email them and ask. You can buy a sample pack and only pay for postage, then when you decide on the colour and finish that you need you can b uy full sizes. I'm looking into the EM brushes, I think you get a better finish with the correct brushes. It's also important to keep your brushes clean, I wash mine weekly, particularly the foundation brush. It's amazing how dirty they get! HTH!
snowymtn
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:24 am      Reply with quote
hi, I agree with what everyone says regarding avoiding bismuth. Not only is it irritating but it has sort of an artificial type of glow. I've tried everday minerals and like it, but prefer Larenim (found in Whole Foods Markets or Larenim.com). Its not a super heavy coverage but you can layer it to get the effect you want. The colors are really nice. The only thing I hate about mineral makeup is the huge mess I make with it in the bathroom! and I'm having a hard time figuring out how to make it portable. Other than that I love it.
Kel
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:00 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Guys So Much!

I'm really liking what I'm hearing.
I checked out the Essential Minerals website and I think I'm going to go with them. I don't want to risk going with a product that might contain bismuth and their prices seem really good!
I love that they have the trial samples....now I just have to figure out what colors. I wonder if they have anything Vampire White! Laughing
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:00 pm      Reply with quote
I also like Everyday Minerals. Their products are good (and Bismuth free) and their shipping is very reasonable. I paid just under $6 USD for shipping here to Sweden and this was for the "Starter Kit" so it was more than just the samples. I would imagine that shipping to Canada would be a bit less. This alone impressed me because for us that don't live in the US we are often grossly overcharged. Also, I like that it is Bismuth free. I have several of the BE variety that I received as a gift from a friend but each time that I have used it my face will itch. I've been told that it is the Bismuth that does this. If you have a sensitive face this can be an issue.

I do however like the BE concealer called, Bisque as someone else mentioned as well. I think that it gives great coverage and since I only use it on small areas I've found that I don't itch from it for some reason. Also, I prefer the BE brushes to the Everyday Minerals ones. The BE ones just feel like they are of a higher quality. Of course they cost considerably more than the EM ones. I'm sure that there are plenty of brushes out there that are fine for mineral makeup application it doesn't have to be from a mineral makeup company. The only reason I have the BE ones is because the same friend gave me them as a present as well. Very Happy Otherwise I would have used some brushes that I already have.
I bought the Everyday Mineral "kabuki" brush to try. I purchased it because it was smaller than the BE one and I thought it would be nice for travel but I don't like it so much. It feels cheap to me. Luckily it didn't cost much.
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:22 pm      Reply with quote
I should have mentioned is one blush that I ordered with my starter kit is called, "Light Pink Blush". It is meant more as an all over colour than a blush (though it is shown as a blush) and it helps with reddness. It does work well but I've noticed that it looks very shiney afterwards. Not oily, but shiney like metallic. It's a beautiful colour so I've decided that it will make a great spring eyeshadow/under eyebrow highlighter. I think that next time I'll order the colour, "Apple".
jlrobatzek
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:59 am      Reply with quote
Anna-in-Sweden,
If you don't like the metalic shiny of light pink blush, don't order the natural blush. It is also more of an all over color than a blush. It has that slight shimmer to it, however I'm loving it as a highlighter over my regular blush for when I go out at night.
Kel
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:03 am      Reply with quote
Anna-In-Sweden: Thanks so much for the advice on the colors. I need any help I can get! I'm glad to hear that EM is such a great company, it boosts my confidence to buy with them. $6 US is great for international shipping. I usually pay more than that just to get to Canada!

Hej da! (I know very little swedish and it's been many years, so I hope I got that right!)
Embarassed
Misha
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:55 am      Reply with quote
snowymtn wrote:

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to make it portable. Other than that I love it.

I stick a cotton ball or two in the top. Some powder will get on it but not much. I tried tape but it doesn't stick well. And I always try to keep the powder in the pot when I'm not traveling. For example, if powder is collectiong above the holes then instead of tapping I'll use a brush to put it in the lid. Tapping leaves powder above the holes which means you lose more powder to the cotton ball when traveling. HTH!
marnie
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:55 am      Reply with quote
Misha, that's a great idea. I always hated travelling with the stuff. Thanks.
whimsy
5% products discount

Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:37 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,
I also recommend mineral makeup, it feels great on the skin. I've only just started using it, so Im still sampling, but I think Everyday minerals have the best deals around, and also their customer service is great! Very Happy I'd highly recommend them. They also just launched some new brushes, that I'm wondering if anyone tried? They've got a lifetime guarantee on their Kabuki Shock

One thing I found though, is that finding the righ foundation shade is important for making it look natural. Ive tried a few that were too light for me, and it was hard to make them blend in with my skintone, and it all just fell apart during the day, and it looked oh so wrong. Now Ive found some really good matches, and I've finally discovered how good mineral foundation makes your skin look. Very Happy
Ill post reveiews later once Ive used them for a longer period of time. HTH

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:42 am      Reply with quote
Kel wrote:

Do you need specific brushes? Also, do you need a brush for each powder, or can you mix and match?

There are a few brushes you can use depending upon if you use loose (loose powder brush) or pressed powder... the kabuki brush (provides more coverage) seems to be popular. You can also use a sponge (I use the flocked spronge from Jane Iredale and love it... I like that it blends my MMU into my skin and provides a nice coverage).
Here's a webpage showing JI's brushes to get an idea:
http://www.janeiredale.com/products/brushes.html
Kel wrote:

How is the coverage on acne prone skin? Can anyone provide me with their own experiences with it? Also, does it clog up pores?

Coverage is very good and you can get more of it by layering the minerals. Out of all the types of makeup ("regular" liquid foundation for instance) you can get maximum coverage while still maintaining a natural look. I personally really like the coverage that MMU provides. I also like that it is very good for acne prone skin and does not clog pores. The first MMU that I tried was BE. Didn't like it and thought it accentuated my blemishes. I also didn't like the feel of it. I also have tried Aromaleigh, Mineral Boutique, Pure Luxe, Jane Iredale and True Cosmetics. I used the JI for awhile but never felt good about the colors in matching my tone although I did like the coverage and the quality. I now use True Cosmetics and love it (I need to post a review...). It's the perfect match and really helps minimize my redness. When I use my MMU I follow with my concealer. (I used Bobbi Brown Blemish cover stick for a while and then switched to True's concealer and I think I am liking it. I really appreciate that I can use it on my blemishes AND under my eyes so that I don't have to use two different concealers.) Then I sometimes follow with a light dusting of MMU over my concealed spots and then with Jurlique Silk Dust all over.
Kel wrote:

Now, I'm not a talented person, whatsoever. Is there a massive learning curve on applying mineral make-up? It looks difficult to me! Confused

There's a small learning curve, just use the correct brush (or sponge) and start with a light dusting. Then layer as necessary for desired coverage. You'll get the hang of it.
Kel wrote:

Does it last a long time?

I think it lasts A LOT longer than liquid foundation. I can go all day wearing my MMU without it getting splotchy especially when I touch up with Jurlique Silk Dust. I found that the True doesn't get splotchy but other MMUs that I have tried just a little bit.
Kel wrote:

And lastly, is it quite easy to find or does it have to be purchased online? Is it expensive?

Nowadays it's not so hard to find. You can order great samples online from many of the online stores. As far as going into a place physically I recommend looking on Jane Iredale's website where they list dealers. You can go in and get color matched and maybe even receive samples to try it out. True Cosmetics is a little harder to find dealers but email their company because they have some dealers not listed on their website. Prices vary so what you spend depends upon what brand you end up liking. The wonderful thing about MMU is that it does not "go bad" like "regular" foundation b/c they contain inert ingredients so it lasts longer. I also feel that mine lasts longer than when I used liquid (I don't have to buy a new supply as often).
Kel wrote:

Sorry for all the questions, and I'm sure everyone is getting sick of them. I did read some back posts but, I was still left with questions.

Don't worry about asking questions! That is what this forum is all about. I hope I answered some of your questions. Please ask more if you need to ... I wrote my response in a hurry.Smile

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:33 pm      Reply with quote
Has everyone who has switched to the mineral makeups think that they can compete with the industry standard lines like Mac, Smashbox, Nars, LORAC etc etc? I've been watching some makeup artist videos and behind the scenes at fashion shows and everything, and they seem to have such a wide range of a palate and types of products. From pencils to sticks, cremes, pressed stuff, liquids etc. and such a range of colors as well. I know they have all kinds of junk in them but they do such a beautiful job with them. Do you think a pro artist like that could get a makeup kit with just mineral makeup and do just as good of a job with them? It just seems like they are harder to work with and not as intense. Everything is a loose powder. It's like working with cake flour. A fine dust goes everywhere and is easy to breath in. I wonder how bad that is for the lungs etc. And it seems hard to get the colors to stay only in certain areas. But I don't have any good brushes yet to use with them. My friend tried some mineral makeup and she said her skin ate it in a few hours and she no longer looked like she had anything on at all. My skin doesn't retain colors very well either.

Thanks Anna for the warning on that blush. I was just about to get it, cause it sounded great to even out the skin tone and blotchiness. Does anyone know if anyone carries a matte version of that color? I have mostly seen the green color concealer/color correctors that say that they neutralize red skin. I wonder what works better, the pink or green ones. Has anyone tried the green ones?

Like this one: http://larenim.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=189

And then this color says it does the same thing:
http://larenim.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=187

Hmm, what other companies offer inexpensive samples? Laremin is a little expensive at $4 a sample, compared to others that are charging just like $1-1.50 etc. per sample.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:50 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |