Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)
Confuse with the cleanser types
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
handsbella
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:26 am      Reply with quote
Sorry, I dont know should I ask here? I know you may scold me for asking so much, I am really sorry, I was so confused...please forgive me.

During A.M

I was told to use Milk Cleanser (the one without foam). The steps I followed:

1. splash face with water
2. put the milk cleanser directly on my face (should I put it on my palm first?)
3. massage with fingertips
4. splash or clean with water

During P.M

I was told to use two types of cleansers. First cleanser is the milk cleanser (without foam)same as the cleanser used in A.M and the second cleanser is cleanser with foam.

The steps are:
1. without water on DRY face, put the milk cleanser on my face
2. massage the milk cleanser with fingertips
3. wipe it off with facial cotton
4. splash with water
5. put the second cleanser, foam cleanser on my palm
6. lather the cleanser till the foam is formed
7. put the foam on face
8. massage with fingertips on face
9. splash with water

I have a few questions, they have been with me quite a long time, I am so confused, I felt so hard to explain with my bad English. I hope you could understand me and just hope I wont be so confused again....

1. For the A.M, should I put the milk cleanser directly on my face or should I put on my palm first?

2. I dont understand. For the same cleanser (milk cleanser), during A.M we can splash water on face without wiping it off with facial cotton, but, during the P.M, we have to wipe it off with facial cotton?

3. Why we need two cleansers at P.M but only one cleanser in A.M?

4. For any foam cleanser, should I lather the foam on palm before I put on my face or can I put the cleanser direcly to my face without lathering the foam on my palm first?

I am really sorry to ask so much, I really hope to have some understandings so that I wont be so confused...Could you please give me your opinion? Please, I appreciate any opinion...Thanks
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:36 am      Reply with quote
Hi handsbella! Let me see if I can answer some of your questions. For starters, there are actually no real rules about when to use a cream cleanser and when to use a foaming or gel cleanser, it just depends on what you like to use. Right now because it's summer my skin tends to be more oily so I've been using a gel cleanser in the AM and in the PM, and then in the winter I will sometimes swtich to a cream cleanser. However, some people like to use a cream cleanser in the morning (because there's no make up etc to wash off), and then at night they use something more potent like a foaming cleanser to remove make up, sunscreen, etc. As for your question about whether do apply cleansers directly to your face, to your palm first, how to rinse, etc, all of those things are just a matter of what you prefer--- there's no "right" way, per se. HTH!

5% products discount

Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:00 am      Reply with quote
I don't believe in needing two cleansers or cleaning two times at night. If your cleanser doesn't remove your makeup, you're using the wrong one.

I also don't think you need to wash your face in the morning. You can splash it with water and use a mild toner to wipe your face.

If you cleanse too often, it will dry your skin out and produce more oil.
handsbella
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:18 pm      Reply with quote
Can you please give your opinion here? I hope it wont spend much of your time....

Please....Appreciate any opinion....
Mabsy

Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:31 pm      Reply with quote
In terms of application of the milk cleanser, it doesn't really matter if you apply it directly to the face though I am not sure how you'd actually do this. I wet my faceand my hands, pump some milk cleanser onto my palm, and then massage that on the face and rinse.

Also, I agree with ja2006 in that I really don't think you need to be using two cleansers at night. You should find one that works well and there should be no need to use it twice. I do use a cleanser before using the Dr H Cleansing Cream but this is because the Dr H CC does not remove my makeup well, but works wonders to unclog the pores.

The choice of gel vs. cream is largely your preference and is tied with your skin type. Gels are generally, though not always, more drying than creams or milks.
handsbella
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:57 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, Mabsy, thanks for your reply.

When you said "gel", do you mean the foam cleanser? And your "cream" means the milk cleanser? Am I correct? Please forgive me if I am wrong.

Quote:
You should find one that works well and there should be no need to use it twice.

How to know whether a particular cleanser works well or no?
Mabsy

Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:12 pm      Reply with quote
handsbella wrote:

When you said "gel", do you mean the foam cleanser? And your "cream" means the milk cleanser? Am I correct? Please forgive me if I am wrong.

Quote:
You should find one that works well and there should be no need to use it twice.

Sorry, yes, I should have clarified. Foaming cleansers are the ones that are usually the more drying ones, whereas cream or milk cleansers tend to leave skin more comfortable.

A good way to see if your cleanser is working well is to use a toner on a white cotton wool pad afterwards and see if it is still white. If not then there is still some dirt/makeup that the cleanser is not removing.
handsbella
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:41 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy wrote:
handsbella wrote:

Quote:

Sorry, yes, I should have clarified. Foaming cleansers are the ones that are usually the more drying ones, whereas cream or milk cleansers tend to leave skin more comfortable.

A good way to see if your cleanser is working well is to use a toner on a white cotton wool pad afterwards and see if it is still white. If not then there is still some dirt/makeup that the cleanser is not removing.

Hi, Mabsy, thanks for your clear explanation, appreciate. Have a nice day.
handsbella
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:43 am      Reply with quote
Sorry, I still confused with this:

For any foam cleanser, should I lather the foam on palm before I put on my face or can I put the cleanser direcly to my face without lathering the foam on my palm first?
handsbella
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:46 am      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
Hi handsbella! Let me see if I can answer some of your questions. For starters, there are actually no real rules about when to use a cream cleanser and when to use a foaming or gel cleanser, it just depends on what you like to use. Right now because it's summer my skin tends to be more oily so I've been using a gel cleanser in the AM and in the PM, and then in the winter I will sometimes swtich to a cream cleanser. However, some people like to use a cream cleanser in the morning (because there's no make up etc to wash off), and then at night they use something more potent like a foaming cleanser to remove make up, sunscreen, etc. As for your question about whether do apply cleansers directly to your face, to your palm first, how to rinse, etc, all of those things are just a matter of what you prefer--- there's no "right" way, per se. HTH!

Hello, manslayerliz, thanks for your reply, appreciate.

May I ask? When you use the milk cleanser, how you use it normally? Did you splash water on your face before putting the milk cleanser on face? Hope you dont mind to elaborate a little bit, sorry for wasting your time.

But, I am worried that if I put the foam cleanser directly on face (means without lathering into form on my palm), will it cause any bad? That's why I ask that question. I apologize if the question seems to be unnecessary for you...
handsbella
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:47 am      Reply with quote
ja2006 wrote:
I don't believe in needing two cleansers or cleaning two times at night. If your cleanser doesn't remove your makeup, you're using the wrong one.

Hi, ja2006, thanks for your valuable information.
By the way, I didnt use any make-up, so I think I just need to remove the sunblock....

Actually, I am still confused with my questions above.... Sad
ja2006
5% products discount

Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:04 am      Reply with quote
I normally wet my face first, lather in my hands, and then apply. And this goes for whether I am using a foaming or milky cleanser.

You do not HAVE to emulsify the product in your hand first, but that is just my preference.

It does not matter if you apply to the face first or in your palm. It will not do any difference to your skin either way.

But just remember that if your skin is not really oily and since you do not wear makeup, using a foaming cleanser may strip your face of the oil and cause your skin to overproduce oil.

Hope this helps some!
handsbella
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:27 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry, one more question:

Before that, I was told that milk cleanser is used in the morning because we don't have any make-up or sunblock to wash with, right? And, we use foam cleanser in the night for removing the make-up and sunblock.

I thought the above statements are correct, I thought I understand it well....

But, then, I was told that milk cleanser is used as make-up remover. This made me real confuse...

Actually which type of cleanser should I use when I wish to wash off the sunblock and which type of cleanser to use when there is no sunblock to be washed off?

Which type of cleanser is considered as mild and which type is considered as strong??

I am sorry, you may thought I asked too much...
Charmed1
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:28 am      Reply with quote
Okay ~ I will give this a try.

I use a lotion, also called a milky cleanser. It is thinner in consistency than a cream cleanser.
For either a lotion cleanser or cream cleanser or milky cleanser - (read on, please) ~

I put the cleanser in my palm of my left hand. I do not do anything with it in my palm, no rubbing, mixing, etc. No water added at this time. It just sits there in my left palm because my cleanser is in a pump bottle and there is no way that I could pump directly onto my face. I use my right fingers and dip them into the cleanser in my left palm. I apply cleanser to my dry face (my face is dry, no water on face) with my right fingers. I repeat this dip and apply as often as needed to cover my face and neck. If I need to, I apply more cleanser to my left palm. (reverse if you are left -handed, I am right handed). Once my whole face and neck are covered with cleanser, I take both hands and using my fingers massage the cleanser gently into my face and neck (I, personally, do not add water at this time, although some people do ~ it is a matter of personal preference). I then use both hands, palms as a cup/bowl, and rinse thoroughly at least twenty times with cool (tepid), not hot or warm, water.

I then pat dry with a clean cotton towel.
My face is now clean and I can tone (for toner, I use a Mist) and moisturize. Toner is not necessary for some.

For a foaming cleanser, I do the following:

Once again, I had a squirt/pump bottle. I applied or pumped cleanser on my left fingers. I did not make the cleanser foam on my hand (no water added, yet). I applied the cleanser to my face with my left fingers until all the face and neck were covered with cleanser. At this point, no foaming is going on. I applied to a dry face. I now add water from my tap with my fingers and at this point, the cleanser is foaming. I massage gently with my fingers, the cleanser is foaming during this massage. I rinse the same as above, thoroughly with cupped palms and tepid water at least twenty times.

I do not feel that two cleansers are necessary.

I wash AM and PM with a milky, lotion cleanser.

As a general rule of thumb, but not always -
Cream cleansers are for dry complexions; milky, lotion cleansers for normal or combination skin; foaming cleansers tend to be for oily skins, but foaming cleansers can be used for normal skin and combination skin. Bar soap type cleansers are generally not recommended.

Other people wet their faces first with water for foaming cleansers and/or for milky cleansers. I do not, but, it is just a matter of preference. Either way will get your face clean.

Foaming cleansers are generally considered stronger.

I have very sensitive skin, so I use a milky, lotion cleanser.

Cleansers can have AHA - glycolic acid, etc., these help with exfoliation and can be used on many skin types. They are considered great for combination skin. I did not have success with these, as I have rosacea.

Sometimes it helps to see a dermatologist to get product recommendations or an esthetician.

Hope this helps.
Charmed1
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:16 am      Reply with quote
A well - formulated cleanser should remove make - up, as well as sunscreen, whether it is a foaming or lotion or cream or gel cleanser.

A good rule of thumb ~ is your skin dry after you wash it? If so, the cleanser may be too strong.

Your skin should feel clean and fresh after washing, but not stripped of all oils.

There are also oil cleansers. Some people use these alone, but some people use a two step process of the oil cleanser followed by a foaming cleanser. That may be why you were recommended two steps at night - I have seen this recommendation for oil cleansers, but not usually for lotion or cream cleansers.

Some people feel that if you use a cream or lotion or milky cleanser that a toner is needed to remove all residue. But, others do not think so.

No wonder you are confused!!! Confused

Really,
cleansing is mostly a matter of preference. Whether you wet your face first or later, whether you use a foaming or cream cleanser ~ the goal is to get your face clean without leaving a residue behind, while being gentle to your skin. Many cleansers will do this.

PS
The reason you wiped with cotton in the PM, but not in the AM was because you were then following with a foam cleanser in the PM. Normally, when you use a cream cleanser or lotion cleanser and you wipe with cotton, some cleansing residue might be left behind. This could be a good thing if you have dry skin, but, otherwise you want to remove the residue with a toner or rinsing with water, etc.
In your case, the residue will be washed off with the foaming cleanser; ALSO, the residue from the lotion cleanser will act as a buffer to the foam cleanser making the foam cleanser not as strong on your skin.

Are you pleased with the appearance of your skin with your cleansing regimen? If so, it is working for you and you should continue with what you are doing.
handsbella
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:54 am      Reply with quote
Hello, Charmed1 , thank you very much for your detailed explanation.

Yes, I read it till the end, thanks for your posts!

I have combination and sensitive skin type, oily in T zone and chin, normal on my cheeks, plus I have very thin skin layer.

Quote:
Foaming cleansers are generally considered stronger.
The reason you wiped with cotton in the PM, but not in the AM was because you were then following with a foam cleanser in the PM. Normally, when you use a cream cleanser or lotion cleanser and you wipe with cotton, some cleansing residue might be left behind.

If I understand correctly, since foaming cleansers are considered as stronger than milk cleanser and since there MAY be residue left by milk cleanser, it means that milk cleanser is not good enough to remove make-up and sunscreen, why the milk cleanser is always used as make-up remover? And why we still need to use milk cleanser at night?

It should be considered enough by using milk cleanser in the morning and only foaming cleanser in the night, am I correct?? Please correct me if I am wrong.
Charmed1
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:30 am      Reply with quote
"It should be considered enough by using milk cleanser in the morning and only foaming cleanser in the night, am I correct?? Please correct me if I am wrong. "

It really depends on how your skin reacts.

In theory, you are correct ~ one cleanser in the AM and one in the PM, BUT, your skin might need the buffer of the cream/lotion/milk cleanser before the foaming cleanser.

And, honestly, a milk cleanser will normally remove make-up and sunscreen.

Try the milk cleanser in the AM and the foaming cleanser in the PM.

If your skin gets too dry, then you have two options.

1. go back to your current regimen with the milky cleanser in the AM and the two cleansers in the PM.

or

2. use the milky cleanser in the AM and PM and not use a foaming cleanser at all. (to use up your remaining foaming cleanser, you could use it alone in the PM a couple of nights a week).

Most people only use one cleanser AM and PM, not two. They may use two cleansers that are different, one in the AM and a different one in the PM. Some people use the same cleanser AM and PM (I do). There are exceptions ~ with cleansing oils and Dr. Hauschka Cleansing Cream, some people use two cleansers at a time. But, normally, only one cleanser is needed to be used at a time in the AM and PM.

It just is a matter of finding a cleanser that removes sunscreen, etc. but, does not overly dry your skin or strip it of most of its oils. You want the gentlest cleanser possible that does a thorough job of cleaning your skin.

Hope this helps!
handsbella
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:00 am      Reply with quote
Hi, actually I have been using Milk Cleanser in the A.M and only Foaming Cleanser in the P.M. This routines work all right for me so far.

I started this thread after I was told by the therapist that I should use two cleansers at night. And, beacause she told me if I only use the foaming cleanser without the milk cleanser first, it will dry up my skin. I was so worried that if I didnt use two cleansers as she suggested, it will do harm to my skin in long run, that's why I started this thread..oh, please do not scold me...

So, after reading your posts here, I think I should continue the one works for me so far -- that is only milk cleanser at A.M and foaming cleanser at P.M, right?

Dont know will this routine do harm to my skin in the long run? hope not...
Charmed1
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:58 pm      Reply with quote
This routine will not harm your skin ~ as the seasons change, you may need a different routine. You will know if you need to evaluate and change your cleansing routine, if your skin starts to become dry after cleansing.

I think you are doing the exact right thing!!!

If a question is important to you, then it is a good question to ask!
handsbella
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:42 pm      Reply with quote
Charmed1 wrote:
This routine will not harm your skin ~ as the seasons change, you may need a different routine. You will know if you need to evaluate and change your cleansing routine, if your skin starts to become dry after cleansing.

I think you are doing the exact right thing!!!

If a question is important to you, then it is a good question to ask!

Hello, Charmed1, thanks for all your posts, appreciate very much.

Just to say that I live in country which is hot and humid throughout the whole year, without 4 seasons...

Anyway, nice to meet you here...You are the best!
Charmed1
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:15 am      Reply with quote
Good luck! I am glad to be of help, this board has helped me a lot, so I am happy when I can contribute!!!

It is very nice to meet you, too. Very Happy
System
Automatic Message
Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:40 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |