Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

What Step is most important for Clear Skin?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:06 pm      Reply with quote
When you get clogged pores what is usually the culprit and the most important factor in clearing up your skin? Is it having the right cleanser? Is the cleanser crucial? Or is it more often using the wrong type of moisturizer for your skin? Or lack of exfoliating enough?

I haven't splurged on a really good cleanser yet, just using castile soap. Is it worth it to? Would it make a big difference in clearing up skin?

I also wonder if maybe it is my moisturizer. It has shea in it and rose hip and maybe it's just too rich for my skin, although I LOVE it!

How often do you use scrubs and is it important to use really gentle ones only? My skin does feel better and smoother after scrubbing it yesterday, but it still has bumps and clogged pores.
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:11 pm      Reply with quote
I think a good cleanser is very vital to your regime.
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:59 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks. Now for my next question, what makes a cleanser good or not? How do you know if your cleanser is good or not?
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:29 pm      Reply with quote
BYRG--i think the most important step is the cleansing step. I would definitely use an oil cleanser and then follow that up with a regular cleanser. while oil cleansing, if you massage your skin, you can feel the debris getting dislodged from the pores. of course, then you need a toner and a really moisturizer too.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:16 am      Reply with quote
I'd said cleanser too. You need to remove all the dirt and makeup from your skin, or else your skin can't breathe.
marnie
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:37 am      Reply with quote
Skincareaddicted - what would you recommend for an oil cleanser? I'd like to try the method you suggested.
Olyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:41 am      Reply with quote
To me, there isn't just one important step...all the steps are important! I believe that's why the 3-step formula kits are becoming so popular. I think it also depends on your skin type. For some, overproduction of oil is the problem. For others (me) cell turnover is not as fast on its own as it should be...excess dead skin cells on your face leads to clogged pores, leads to acne, etc. For some people it is entirely hormonal...or it could be a combination of any of these.

When my skin seems to be breaking out, my approach is this: Mornings, I cleanse my skin with an oil cleanser...either Burt's Bees Orange Essence Cleanser or La Vitton Water Soluble Oil Cleanser. I usually massage it in for 2 minutes. This helps remove dead skin cells to prevent clogged pores. Mornings and nights: I then apply a cleanser containing SA, massage in and rinse off. I let my skin dry naturally, with a few pats from a fresh paper towel (to avoid bacterial contamination from a washcloth). I then apply a GA toner with a cottonball. This step is important as it helps close/tighten your pores so debris/bacteria can't get back in, and the GA helps increase cell turnover. Then I apply 2.5% BP to problem areas and wait 5-10 minutes, or use my derma wand to kill any acne bacteria, depending on what my skin is doing. I try to use BP as a last resort. THEN I apply a moisturizer that contains Vitamin A and GA.

Also, if you wear makeup: It seems to really help if you apply a primer before your foundation step. The primer seems to block bacteria and particles from your foundation from getting into your pores too. If you do this, make sure you let your moisturizer absorb in first, then apply primer, wait about a minute, then apply foundation.

If you're interested in cost effectiveness, I have tried the Loreal Acne Defense kit with good results. It contains an SA cleanser, (clears out pores) GA toner (increases cells turn over/tightens pores) and 2.5% BP lotion (kills acne bacteria). It is only $19 at Walmart, and all you might need to supplement it would be an Oil cleanser and moisturizer, depending on your skin type. The moisturizer I use is called Neutrogena Anti wrinkle Anti blemish.

Hope this helps!
ahau
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:35 am      Reply with quote
Yen wrote:
I think a good cleanser is very vital to your regime.

I agree.
roadbee
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:44 am      Reply with quote
I'm going to chime in about a good cleanser as well as exfoliation.

I started to use an oil cleanser, castor oil and apricot oil, mixed together in equal parts. It has made a definite difference in my face. I even tried cleaning with emu oil. Next it will be the extra virgin olive oil and castor oil. So far, to my surprise, my face has not broken out using the oils but it has cleaned well and left my face quite soft. Check out any of the threads on OCM. The only problem is I need more time with oil cleansing. So when in a rush I go back to my PSF Papaya cleanser.

After cleansing I use Bioelements Quick Refiner (sometimes alternating with Juice Beauty Blemish Clearing serum) which contains glycolic, salicylic and lactic acids all over my face and neck.

Twice weekly I love using PSF Pumpkin Peel.

Finally a good moisturizer. I'm still in search of a good daytime moisturizer but at night I use emu oil.

I still experiment with new products. Also it depends on your skin type. So far the biggest changes for my skin have been switching to an oil cleanser the past 10 days and using the Bioelements Refiner for 32 days now.
todiefor
5% products discount

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:01 pm      Reply with quote
If you use any kind of soap to cleanse, it is going to disrupt the acid mantle on your skin and this gives acne and other skin problems a great boost. You don't want that. A facial wash on the acidic side will really improve your skin's ability to fight breakouts. This acid mantel is essential for healthy skin. Use an AHA Facial Wash or one with AHAs as well as Salycilic. That is the very best product to keep skin clear. Any products you use will work better if you are using AHA products as part of your regimen.
Don't forget to drink lots of water everyday;-) Hope this helps.
hendricks
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:44 pm      Reply with quote
i use an at-home microdermbarasion kit and that's the key for keeping my skin very clear and also glowy.
Tigercat
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:52 am      Reply with quote
hendricks wrote:
i use an at-home microdermbarasion kit and that's the key for keeping my skin very clear and also glowy.

Which brand/model you're using? Is it a bit painful when using?
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks. What makes a cleanser acidic? The cleansing with pure oils, that's alkaline isn't it? Oils are not acidic. And it's touching your skin for such a short period of time anyways, followed up by a balancing toner or astrigent like witch hazel etc. to rebalance. Could you just add lemon juice or something to your soap? So many cleansers seem so overpriced with synthetic detergents mixed with cheap oils and perservatives.

I think I will try the oil method with the toner afterwards. Is it best to use a muslim cloth with the oil cleanser or another type of cloth?

I don't use AHA's because they increase sun damage to the skin and make it photosensitive. I also stay away from citrus oils and st. johnswort for that reason.

However I do want to use good gentle physical scrubs and even enzyme masks so I will look into that. What natural substance is the most gentle for the skin but effective? I quite liked the sesame seeds mixed with olive oil I tried the other day. I also heard that crushed almonds are too jagged and uneven and can injure the delicate skin, is that true? That it's best to use jojoba spears or something like that. Also I'll look into finding some papayas and pineapples to use as masks. I'm ok with acids as occasional intense masks, just not on a daily basis because of the sun issue. Also, I do wear some makeup but only mineral powders which are not supposed to clog pores.
KARINA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:34 pm      Reply with quote
I would say a good cleanser together with a good exfoliator - how else would the creams applied after make any difference..... Laughing
todiefor
5% products discount

Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:06 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="BYRG"]Thanks. What makes a cleanser acidic? The cleansing with pure oils, that's alkaline isn't it? Oils are not acidic. And it's touching your skin for such a short period of time anyways, followed up by a balancing toner or astrigent like witch hazel etc. to rebalance. Could you just add lemon juice or something to your soap? So many cleansers seem so overpriced with synthetic detergents mixed with cheap oils and perservatives. [/quote]

The pH level determins if it is acidic or alkaline. We should not use products with a higher pH than neutral which is 5 to 5.5. Soap is about 7, much to alkaline for skin health. Oils are fatty acids, not alkaline at all. It is all about the pH I am taling about here. It is very important to use products, no matter what they are, on the acidic side rather than the alkaline side if you are prone to breakouts. Your skin pH may be off and this will cause breakouts and other skin problems. When your skin pH is off, bateria are allowed to grow and all sorts of things like that. AHA product make us more sensitive to the sun for the same reason we would not take a new baby out in the sun without sunscreen. AHA products reveal new fresh skin and like a baby's skin, it is more sensitive to the sun. We should all be using sun screens or blocks weither we are using AHA products or not. The sun is the worst enemy to aging skin unless you are a person of color.

Yes, many cleansers are overpriced and full of junk. But there are some good products out there. Try to stay away from sulfate surfactants, glycols, and mineral oil. There are some products without these, if you look real hard. I hate it when they don't list the ingredients on the websites. Good luck!
todiefor
5% products discount

Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:10 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="KARINA"]I would say a good cleanser together with a good exfoliator - how else would the creams applied after make any difference..... Laughing[/quote]

Any cream, toner, mask, serum, anything is going to work better after using an exfoliator or AHA product. Because the AHA which is the exfoliator will cause faster exfoliation of the dead skin layer, the products applied after its use will penetrate deeper and more effeciently thus giving more benefit. Happy exfoliating Very Happy
todiefor
5% products discount

Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:19 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="BYRG"]What natural substance is the most gentle for the skin but effective? I quite liked the sesame seeds mixed with olive oil I tried the other day. I also heard that crushed almonds are too jagged and uneven and can injure the delicate skin, is that true? That it's best to use jojoba spears or something like that. Also I'll look into finding some papayas and pineapples to use as masks. I'm ok with acids as occasional intense masks, just not on a daily basis because of the sun issue. Also, I do wear some makeup but only mineral powders which are not supposed to clog pores.[/quote]

BYRG, I forgot to mention in my previous post about the fruit acids you mention in your post. Thinks like lemons and grapefruits are acidic but their acid (citric acid) is one of the most skin irritating AHAs you could choose. Cleopatra bathed in buttermilk (lactic acid) one of the most gentle and great for the skin. French women washed their faces with old wine (malic acid) another super mild AHA. Try a yogurt facial or buttermilk and oatmeal scrub. Honey is a great moisturizer you can add. Besure and mark your concoctions, Do NOT Eat Be sure and put on that sun screen. Laughing
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
I believe some sort of treatment is crucial to preventing acne. I use the Proactiv repairing lotion at night. But, I agree with those that are saying all steps are important. Be careful with exfoliation, though. Too much can be bad.

By the way, I saw the Loreal acne kit thing in travel size bottles the other day in the skincare aisle, for $5. Sort of like a trial kit. I almost bought it to see how it compared to Proactiv, but I noticed where Proactiv uses witch hazel, this stuff uses alcohol denat. I would be too afraid to use this as my skin dries out at even the mention of alcohol!
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:19 pm      Reply with quote
marnie wrote:
Skincareaddicted - what would you recommend for an oil cleanser? I'd like to try the method you suggested.

marnie--an oil cleanser if you massage it into your skin, dislodges a lot of debris. u have to actually try it to feel it. in addition, oil cleansers melt all makeup and sunscreen off and rinses off without a residue (DHC's does), it's amazing. i use DHC, but there are many good brands out there. here's a link to a recent topic:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=15183&highlight=oil+cleanser

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:50 pm      Reply with quote
I think first and foremost you got to find out what is the cause of your breakouts, it may be hormonal, food, genetic, etc... After finding out the causes, only then you know which solution best suits you.
marnie
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:41 am      Reply with quote
Skincareaddicted, thanks for the reply and the link - lots of great information from all of you.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:51 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |