Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

What makes a lady sophisticated to you?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
My husband and I were talking about the different women we see at our grocery store and differences in how they look. My husband was telling me the difference between a sophisticated lady and the others. This is what he thought made a woman look sophisticated. 1. Their hair. Does not have to be big or curled, just neat and look like they have done something to it (not wash and wear). 2. They stand tall, don't slouch, and walk a certain way (though he could not really explain the difference in their walk). And, last 3. Their clothes (don't have to be the most expensive or with designer labels, but they are spotless, especially their shoes).

So, this got me thinking as I am so NOT like the above "sophisticated" lady. I was curious what you all think makes a lady sophisticated?
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:26 pm      Reply with quote
Laughing-->funny about the description not being you, though i am sure that's not true for you! i would guess your husband has some of the points down. i don't know how to describe it other than to point to celebrities i think are classy, like catherine zeta jones or scarlett johansson. they dress appropriately almost all of the time, and are never trashy looking or acting (ala lindsay lohan and paris hilton).

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:23 am      Reply with quote
Pearls are always sophisticated. Also, her demeanor. I never think someone who talks or laughs loudly all the time is sophisticated.
my sushi secret
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:47 am      Reply with quote
I see women in terms of "ladylike" more than sophisticated; I don't think it's ladylike to swear or talk about bodily "issues" Laughing. I'm pretty sure I'm one of few who think like this because my friends just think I'm a prude...I guess that's what living in the Bible Belt for a few years will do to you!
Olyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:50 am      Reply with quote
Condfidence. Wisdom. Class.

Sophisticated women, to me, are the type of women who probably always have good posture, wear designer perfume even just around the house, and ooze that confidence that comes with experience, beauty, age, or any combination of those. Audrey Hepburn comes to mind for me. So does my grandma Smile . She is 75 and still goes to the salon to have her hair done weekly (cut/style/color). She walks like a strong woman, always smells nice, and irons Everything. Love it.
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:14 am      Reply with quote
That's a great description Olyn! I'm sure your grandmother would appreciate it knowing her granddaughter sees her that way.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:15 am      Reply with quote
Yes, I agree with all of you, good posture, dressing appropriately, and not talking or laughing loud. I love to people watch, so this is interesting to me what other people think! Very Happy
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:33 am      Reply with quote
I can think of a few things...

Dressing appropriately (what is it with overweight people wearing midrifs and hipsters with rolls and rolls of.. well, you know.. on show)... clothes that suit your age/figure/whatever with accessories appropriate to the "location".

Pride in appearance: clean, ironed clothes (that fit). washed and combed hair. No body odor and nice, fresh breath.

The walk: standing tall, shoulders back, ass in and eyes straight ahead. She does not wear shoes that clip clop like a horse and she does not wear shoes that are too high for her to walk properly (dont they have a dance class in NYC to help with this point? Laughing)

The manner: she is not loud, crass or verbally abusive in public (in private, everything is OK dahling). She does not smoke, drink, spit or snort (in preference to using a tissue).

But most importantly: how she treats others.. her smile, her voice, her gestures.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:20 pm      Reply with quote
tiger_tim - that was so well said. The walk you described, I think that is what my husband was trying to get at!
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:58 pm      Reply with quote
Sophistication doesn't have to be based on looks. Someone can be sophisticated in their tastes, the way they engage in conversation, their demeanor. Someone can act refined, but not look the part. To me, they'd still be "sophisticated."
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:49 pm      Reply with quote
i agree that sophistication doesn't just come from looks alone. but i would be hard pressed to find someone looking like courtney love as refined, especially if i only glanced at her really quick.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:52 pm      Reply with quote
tiger_tim wrote:
I can think of a few things...

Dressing appropriately (what is it with overweight people wearing midrifs and hipsters with rolls and rolls of.. well, you know.. on show)... clothes that suit your age/figure/whatever with accessories appropriate to the "location".

Pride in appearance: clean, ironed clothes (that fit). washed and combed hair. No body odor and nice, fresh breath.

The walk: standing tall, shoulders back, ass in and eyes straight ahead. She does not wear shoes that clip clop like a horse and she does not wear shoes that are too high for her to walk properly (dont they have a dance class in NYC to help with this point? Laughing)

The manner: she is not loud, crass or verbally abusive in public (in private, everything is OK dahling). She does not smoke, drink, spit or snort (in preference to using a tissue).

But most importantly: how she treats others.. her smile, her voice, her gestures.

I had to go to the dictionary for this one as I feel being 'sophisticated' may simply mean appearance to some.

Quote:
sophisticated:

1. (of a person, ideas, tastes, manners, etc.) altered by education, experience, etc., so as to be worldly-wise; not naive: a sophisticated young socialite; the sophisticated eye of a journalist.

When I was young, being sophisticated meant nothing more then someone who dressed in a fancy way. As I got older the meaning changed as I realized that surface may not have much to do with what's underneath Wink
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:25 pm      Reply with quote
Rufus, true.. when I was a kid any lady with "her face on", pretty perfume and a string of pearls was sophisticated. But reading the dictionary description made me suddenly remember this homeless bloke who sat down beside me one evening at a piazza in Tokyo.. at first, I did not know what to think or do even.. but then the guy started speaking English to me and talking about economics and politics Shock Laughing So it is true, sophistication comes from within.. but at the same time, he might have been some old homeless dude, but he "held" himself with sophisitcation...

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:53 am      Reply with quote
Clear skin, light makeup, classy colors for dress, simple and bold clothing. Tone of voice is also important.
Rufus
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:39 pm      Reply with quote
tiger_tim wrote:
Rufus, true.. when I was a kid any lady with "her face on", pretty perfume and a string of pearls was sophisticated.

I've got two strands of pears that I never wear(I hope I do get points for thinking I remember where they are)...I quess I'm never going to hit the Sophisitcated club Wink Wink Wink Wink
Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:43 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with all of you! Sophistication is a state of mind and a type of demeanor. I, too, could never see Courtney Love as sophisticated, though. In my mind, sophistication often smells like Chanel, for some reason. Question
shantel
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:17 pm      Reply with quote
Good manners & politeness!!!

Appearance wise: good complexion (prove of taking a good care of herself), elegant fitted body-flattered clothes (sexy without showing too much of bare skin). Nice handbag!!!
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:09 pm      Reply with quote
Knowing what to wear to suit her figure.
Being able to wear anything and still have a sense of class and inbuilt elegance about her.
Vana
5% products discount

Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:23 am      Reply with quote
I must say that I disagree with good complexion part because if someone has a bad complexion does not mean she does not take care of herself. Sometimes there things that are out of our control when it comes to our body or face. I agree with everything else you wrote.

shantel wrote:

Appearance wise: good complexion (prove of taking a good care of herself), elegant fitted body-flattered clothes ( without showing too much of bare skin). Nice handbag!!!
shantel
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:44 am      Reply with quote
I think you are right, but Damn! I just want to believe that it is possible to obtain a good complexion by taking care of yourself! It is my certain believe that I just got to have to be motivated enough.

Vana wrote:
I must say that I disagree with good complexion part because if someone has a bad complexion does not mean she does not take care of herself. Sometimes there things that are out of our control when it comes to our body or face. I agree with everything else you wrote.

shantel wrote:

Appearance wise: good complexion (prove of taking a good care of herself), elegant fitted body-flattered clothes ( without showing too much of bare skin). Nice handbag!!!
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:16 am      Reply with quote
Grace and wisdom to me equal class and sophistication.

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:26 am      Reply with quote
Weird. I never think of sophisticated as sexy. I think of it as aloof and unapproachable - very pretty, but also very cool and distant.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:07 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |