Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Best Oil for OCM?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
I didn't like using Castor Oil for this. It just was too heavy, sticky, hard to rinse off and I think clogged my pores some. What is your favorite oil to use for this and what works best? Just olive oil or is jojoba or sesame or some other oil supposed to work better? I have combo skin. I know Rosayfruta sells Camelia Oil for this purpose but it's more expensive and I missed the clearance on it. Sad

Also, what is the best cloth to use with this method? Muslim or a terry type of cloth or something else? Will just cotton pads work for it? Do you find it works best with a 2 step or just the oil? Thanks.
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:03 pm      Reply with quote
Hi BRYG,

I use a combination of Grape Seed Oil and Castor Oil. Right now, it's about a 50/50 ... plus I also add salicylic acid in my oil mixture ... about 5%, but because it's buffered by the oil, it feels like less. Laughing

I've never had a problem with rinsing off the oil mixture ... I just take my warm/hot wash cloth ... place it over my face until it begins to cool ... and then wipe. I generally do this twice ... and everything comes right off. Very Happy I have also used a steamer ...

I use NOW brand of castor oil ... although I'm not sure that the brand name has anything to do with it.

I think that, for me, the warm/hot or steaming step is vital in ensuring that everything, including the oils, is removed.

I basically have the water as hot as my hands can stand it ... and that seems to be the right temperature for "melting" the oils, as it were.

I don't know what other oil draws like castor oil though ... so I don't know what I'd replace castor oil with. Perhaps someone else out there has an idea.

That said, I don't think there's any problem with using just one type of oil ... either olive oil ... or grape seed ... or jojoba [although using jojoba to rinse off seems like a waste of money! Laughing ] ...

Just make sure that you use sufficient heat to "melt" the oil and wipe it away.

Hope this helps.

Mary

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:17 pm      Reply with quote
hi BYRG!

When I first started to OCM I used a 1/2 and 1/2 mixture of grapeseed oil with Castor but I found that to be too thick also... so i have since begun using jojoba (lighter than grapeseed) and a smaller amount of cator oil with some essential oils (smells nice and adds whatever properties you want to the wash - you can do a search for the different types and what they do).

I use flannel (cut up bits of fabric that I bought from walmart) to remove my oil. I used to use hot water to help remove the oil but that was too harsh so now I wipe my face with the wet (luke-warm) flannel about 2 times and then use a little bit of cleanser to help me remove the last bits of oil (probably more of a paranoia thing I do, not because it's necessary) - or just some ACV toner.

jojoba oil is a little more expensive than grapeseed oil, i just found it to be a better consistency for my skin (i'm combo skin, prone to breakouts). I think I will use olive oil during the winter months for some extra moisture though!

I don't think the castor oil is a must, but it really does help remove the gunk from your pores! (that is of course if it doesn't clog your pores in the first place - I guess everyone is different)

sorry for the long post!

HTH!
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:25 am      Reply with quote
I always thought when everyone was talking about the oil cleansing method, they meant using a cleansing oil like DHC's or Decleor's.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:30 am      Reply with quote
hi skincareaddicted!

I think they're both *essentially* the same thing, but if you make your own its just cheaper (maybe not at the outset because you have to buy all the oils in the first place!)

I prefer this method (making my own) because I can adjust it constantly to what my skin needs (although I suppose you could add things to your DHC or Decleor oils).

I also use the Clarins Lotus oil - mostly as a skin treatment, but sometimes I add that to my general OCM mixture in my t-zone specifically!

So I guess it all boils down to personal preference (and budget!) although i'm sure the DHC and Decleor may have extra benefits because they are professionally made with more ingredients!

Lau =)
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:28 am      Reply with quote
Hi skincareaddicted,

I have the opposite view. I figure that commercial cleansing oils, having all those additional ingredients, are probably far worse for your skin than the simple OCM formula you make on your own.

The only way you can determine what it is that is helping or hurting your skin is to govern the ingredients that are put on your skin.

Most commercial cleansing oils rely on emulsifiers to "rinse off" the oils from your skin. Those emulsifiers could be problematic for your skin.

OCM does not rely on emulsifiers, and while you can add your own, it's really not necessary ... or at least the majority of people who do OCM don't find it necessary to have those emulsifiers present in order to completely clean the oils off from their face.

I've been using OCM for over a year now ... and I've never had a problem rinsing all the oil off my skin. During the summer, when my skin is more prone to perspiring, I need a less "nourishing" OCM blend ... and in the winter time, when the air is much drier, I need a more nourishing OCM blend. Other than that, I have found that warm-hot water and a wash cloth remove the oil completely.

Now, once this is done, your face doesn't have that tight, stripped feeling that one gets all to often with commercial cleansers ... even those touted as being "gentle" or for "sensitive skin". This lack of tautness is often misleading to people new to OCM ... however, it's not really very good for your skin to have it stripped every time you cleanse.

That said, in the past year, my face has never been clearer, more even toned and smoother looking. I can not put this drastic improvement down to OCM alone ... although I do feel it's one of the most important elements. I also use a glycolic/SA toner and MMU ... both of which help maintain what OCM rendered.

I'm 55 ... so I've tried a lot of products over the years ... and have had countless disappointments over those same years. Laughing OCM has done wonders for my skin ... and because it's kept it far clearer than any other product I've tried before, my skin benefits and improves just from its not having to deal with the irritation and disruption of breakouts. Laughing

I know that the majority of people blindly trust cosmetic companies and their R & D departments to know what's "good" for your skin ... but I've lived long enough to have discovered that this isn't always so.

That said, I think everyone is different ... and I know that the problems my skin has had with commercial products may be unique to me ... Laughing

For me, a commercial cleansing oil isn't nearly as attractive a prospect as the cleansing oil I make myself. For one thing, I don't need to add all those extra ingredients that may do absolutely nothing to help clean your face ... and may, in fact, cause problems.

Just my experience ...

Mary

5% products discount

Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:38 pm      Reply with quote
I just started using grapeseed and co (about 50/50, with ylang-ylang and a smidge of tea tree) a week ago. I found it a bit difficult to get off, when I tried from the sink. I could live with it, but it wasn't the easiest. Then, I tried it in the morning. I rub the oils in, then jump in the shower. I think I can get the water on my face more efficiently (more water for a longer period), and maybe hotter, in the shower rather than the sink. Plus, it's like steaming my face. I found that worked much better for me, and i am much happier with OCM overall.
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:02 pm      Reply with quote
Hi ArtTeacher,

I love to actually steam my face when doing OCM ... although I confess that I get a big lazy at times! Laughing

I've got a handy little facial steamer on the vanity beside the sink ... and whenever I have a few extra minutes at night ... I try to use it.

And you're right, the shower works very well.

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:07 pm      Reply with quote
Hi lullabelle and hpjrt,

thanks for all the info. hmmm, i do like my commercial cleansing oils, but the thought of my making my own is very tempting. right now i am swamped with school work, but i think when i have a little free during vacation, i definitely will try mixing my own oils. thank you! Smile

Artteacher--you should make sure the last thing you do in the shower is wash your face. the shampoos and conditioners we use get on our skin during showers, so it's advised to wash your face last.

5% products discount

Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:27 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
Artteacher--you should make sure the last thing you do in the shower is wash your face. the shampoos and conditioners we use get on our skin during showers, so it's advised to wash your face last.

I do. Wink
ena
5% products discount

Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:49 am      Reply with quote
sunflower oil, hands down! I found castor oil/OO to be really hard to take off, whereas I can remove sunflower oil with lukewarm water.
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:36 am      Reply with quote
Does the OCM remove makeup? I remember my mom using this method, but using some kind of cooking oil I believe took her forever to rinse it off. I have been using jojoba oil alot lately and has become my favorite carrier oil for castor oil seems a bit thick. Also after rinsing off the oil, do you cleanse again with an actual cleanser is there a need?

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:45 pm      Reply with quote
Hi ariesxtreme,

OCM is fantastic for removing makeup ... the best!

What's more ... you don't need to use another cleanser after removing your makeup! OCM does it all!

Mary

5% products discount

Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:46 pm      Reply with quote
OCM takes my makeup off better than a cleanser, I am finding - especially my waterprrof mascara, it just melts off. I love it! I haven't needed to use another cleanser afterward at all.

That's been my experience so far.
shantel
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:53 pm      Reply with quote
I posted this msg in another thread, but just in case somebody here will find it interested!

<<<I just ordered Rose Hip Oil, Evening Primrose oil & Jojoba oil by PRIMAVERA (higly recomended company by our lovely aromatherapy snob Rolling Eyes - or I would rather prefer Aromatherapy Guru in references to Wildflower (is she woudn't mind of caurse)).
So anyway since it really just few drops of each that I will need I would like to entertain a thought to share those oils with somebody. If I am no mistaken it comes in 30 ml bottle, so please if somebody interested in sharing those 30 mls of oil with me - feel free to pm me!!! I am willing to give away at least the half of each bottle, but if somebody interested in a smaller quanities just for sampling - that would work too.... Or if somebody want to trade one oil to another - it will be definately an option. Like I would like to get some Calendula oil for instanse....
So come on girls, lets have some SHARINGS going on here!!! Sounds like FUN, plus we can save some money too .>
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:48 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |