Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Avene Ystheal/Avene Diacneal
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
MystyPines
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:35 am      Reply with quote
Hello!

I have been away from the forum the last 2 1/2 months and trying to catch up on all the new products out there.

I have been reading posts about Retinol products and seems there are some nice things said about Green Cream and also Avene Ystheal and Avene Diacneal.

I haven't tried a Retinol product since using the SkinCeuticals .5 1 year ago. I am leaning toward trying the Avene products. I searched the internet and it says they can be purchased at CVS Pharmacy and Walgreens Pharmacy? Is this the same product? Not to sound like a skin product snob, I guess I have gotten used to purchasing lots of products that I usually can't afford (thank goodness for credit cards) and was wondering if this is the same product?
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:50 am      Reply with quote
I assume you live in the US? My understanding is that while Avene may be available in some drug stores here the retinaldehyde prodcuts from Avene that you mentioned are not available in the drug stores. You can buy them online at www.dermstore.com. BTW the Ystheal product line is called Retrinal in the US. While the Retrinal line has the same active ingredient (retinaldehyde) as the Ystheal line I believe that the inactive ingredients are different. HTH
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:35 pm      Reply with quote
I bought my Ystheal Gel from Tubotica.com in Spain. Great customer service and I believe there is a discount for makeup alley members...can't remember which forum but I think that's it.

The gel is great but I didn't really know what I was doing when I was using it so plan to add it back in but not for another month. It's very gentle, BTW.
autumn
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:16 pm      Reply with quote
I have used Avene ystheal cream and emulsion. I would like to try the gel but it is not sold in North America.

I like other products from Avene including the Avene Dianeal (AHA & retinalhdye) that is marketed as an anti-acne but is also anti-aging.

Tubotica does sell the gel and according to the MUA it is the best place to buy the gel from.

I have used Green Cream 6 and 9. I did not see results from 6 and 9 was too irratiting even through I was using 2 nights a week for quite a while (and tried for 3x weekly.)

I get much better results from Avene than I ever would with Green Cream. Avene is available at most SDM in Canada.

You can check out the US site for Avene. It does have a store locator for retail places in the US.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:25 pm      Reply with quote
I think it might depend on your skin type which you'd prefer out of GC and Ystheal.

Both of them seem effective to me (though not as effective as Retin A). I used GC6 and it gave me faster results than the Ystheal, but I've switched.

As a normal (occasionally dry) skinned person my natural skin 'finish' is a kind of soft matt and that's what I get with Ystheal. With GC I got a white sheen to my skin, which looks unnatural.

Also the colour thing. The Ystheal gives me a warm glow just like with Vit C. I'm guessing that's from the pre-tocopherol, whereas GC leaves me white. I'm warm toned so that kind of retinoid whiteness makes me look odd.

I also find the Ystheal very gentle and non-irritating in the sun and with using other actives.

Ystheal is a bit slower for me, but the results are better looking.

HTH M Cool

I should add; all this glow has really stopped my desire for a tan. I'm also using a very light 5% Vit C and the Mandelic seems to glow me up too. So if white and pasty doesn't suit your colouring - get some vitamins in your skin!
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:06 am      Reply with quote
Hi Molly,
I'm going to get the Avene Ystheal this weekend.
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:07 am      Reply with quote
Just another thought - with making your face have a glow - I absolutely love my Armani #4 Sheer Cream blush. I get a lot of compliments when I wear it that my skin looks flawless.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:17 am      Reply with quote
I hope you like it Emma. You need to give this one some time to work though so don't be disappointed if you don't have an overnight sensation with it. It crept up on me Smile M
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:46 am      Reply with quote
I'm learning to be patient.
Razz
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:44 am      Reply with quote
I have ordered the Ystheal from an ebay seller in Italy. So a reliable ebay seller is another place to get this from. Just thought I would mention that on another forum there were women who were getting great results from Ystheal, and much quicker than Retin A. I do not know why, nor did they but they were saying that some wrinkles have started to diminish with Yestheal and never did with Retin A use. Would anyone have any idea on why this would be?
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:54 am      Reply with quote
I think it's something to do with the form of retinol that Ystheal is - I think Retin A has to turn into this type before it becomes effective - so the Ystheal is one step ahead.

Or maybe I'm talking nonsense.
Confused Razz
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:08 am      Reply with quote
Maybe they're just over-excited to find something pleasant and cheap to use Laughing Can't say my wrinkles are suddenly vanishing.

Actually you're right Emma Wink you have got it slightly wrong, but not completely.

There's like a chain of conversion: retinol converts to retinaldehyde, retinaldehyde converts to Tretinoin (Retin A) so in fact both retinol and retinaldehyde should be slower and you should need greater amounts on your skin because it loses a lot of it's punch penetrating. Retin A (pure tretinoin) is the final stuff that your skin needs so you need less because it doesn't need to convert for the skin to use it, but it's the most irritating along the chain.

Retinol is the furthest away from Retin A and should be the least irritating to the skin, but paradoxically retinaldehyde is less irritating than retinol which it shouldn't be. Confusing, eh Confused

I hope I've got that right. Laughing
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:24 am      Reply with quote
Hi MystyPines - All I know is that I could never tolerate prescription retinoids (except Differin). Also, I had trouble with SkinCeuticals Retinol .5%. The problem with all of these is that they irritated my skin too much and caused extreme dryness, some redness, stinging, and crusty skin. Having to try to exfoliate dry patches made matters worse. And what's more, the dryness actually made my skin look MORE lined than before! I gave all of them ample time to work -- used each of them for months and months at a time but without ever developing a tolerance. It was out of the question to consider ever eventually using them nightly, as some product directions recommend.

When I finally tried Avene Ystheal Emulsion for face (there's a cream version which I assume is more emollient) and Contour des Yeux for eyes (weaker strength), I got decent results -- skin refinement with minimum exfoliation and little to no irritation and dryness. Avene Diacneal is stronger from what I understand, since it's specifically designed to treat acne. Now, I use what's left of my SkinCeuticals stock (even bought the 1% thinking I would graduate to using it) to specifically spot treat any acne -- this will take a long time to use up!!!

Remember, tretinoin was developed to treat acne. Discovering that it also seemed to reduce lines was serendipitous. But most acne sufferers are young people who have a more frequent rate of natural exfoliation and oilier skin. I suppose my problems with it stem from being older and having a slower rate of natural exfoliation, resulting in the crusty layer building up and hanging on longer.

So, if you're like me and can't tolerate retinoids easily, Avene is definitely worth a try.
fenn
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:36 am      Reply with quote
I've raved often enough about the Ystheal gel which oddly I can't get where I live where I can get almost everything Avene even their relatively new (here) Eluage range. My skin takes on an almost polished glow after a few days of the gel which sometimes can get abit too much especially when I catch myself in the mirror under really bright lights. It's just not natural to glow so much! Laughing So sometimes I stop that for a few nights so the glow will diminish somewhat (never thought I'd ever want this Razz) I liked the GC alot but that was years back before I discovered the Ystheal. The effect that I got from the GC can be equalled to that of the Ystheal gel but I never got over the peeling no matter how long I used it although my skin was never irritated only peeling off in parts. A very strange experience in all as my skin usually turns red and annoyed if it peels. Also it was getting costly for me to order it from the US since it's only available there.

I've since switched to the Eluage gel which is almost identical to the Ystheal gel only that it's just that wee bit stronger although the percentage of retinaldehyde is the same. I absolutely agree that retinol is more irritating although weaker than retinaldehyde which is all very very strange. Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:49 am      Reply with quote
fenn -- does the Eluage give you the same glow (i can't get the Ystheal gel here either)? i've been using Diacneal every other night (rotate it with ISC Active) and, while i really like it, it may be a bit much when winter kicks in.
fenn
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:01 am      Reply with quote
Hi la vie, yup give me the same glow but sometimes the eluage seems to make my skin feel a little more tender in parts which the ystheal never did so I suspect that something in it seems to be making the retinaldehyde penetrate better. If I happen to apply too much, my skin can turn a little pink the next day. I must say though that they eluage is pricier than the ystheal gel but since it's so much easier for me to get it here, I'm kinda resigned to that fact. Sad If your skin is dry, you might want to try the eluage cream instead. The Ystheal emulsion and cream on the otherhand did diddly-squat for me. A waste of my time and money really and they were the very first avene products I tried and I almost swore off using Avene ever again until I discovered the gel and now I really like their sunblocks and gel cleanser as well (cleans without ever stripping!)

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:20 am      Reply with quote
Lavie does the Diacneal have the pre-tocopherol and give you the glow? I might want to move up a notch and it's available here.

Fenn, I'm on the emulsion because the gel's not available here. It does work, but you have to rub it in really well. I mean it takes me 20 mins or so. I agree, before I did that I didn't see any results.
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:49 pm      Reply with quote
I'm very interested in learning more about the Ystheal. Are there any websites with before & afters?
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:12 pm      Reply with quote
I'm getting more and more exctied reading about it.
Razz
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
The Avene website has clinical data on Retinaldhyde (the active ingredient in Ystheal) and on Diacneal. http://www.aveneusa.com/physicians/avene/default.asp
Click on the above link, then in the left hand corner you will see Clinical Data listed, click on that and you can chose which products you want to see the Clinical Data for!
MystyPines
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:33 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks so much for all the information.

I can't wait to try Ystheal, just have to figure out where I should get it from (I am in Connecticut, USA).
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:21 pm      Reply with quote
Molly wrote:
Lavie does the Diacneal have the pre-tocopherol and give you the glow? I might want to move up a notch and it's available here.

you can see the ingredients of most of the Avene products here (scroll down): http://www.makeupalley.com/user/notepad/beethovengirl/ i don't think Diacneal has pre-tocopherol (don't know for sure), but it definitely gives me the glow. it is stronger than the Ystheal as well, both in percentage and the use of other acids. using it every night was more than my skin could handle unless i used a heavy duty moisturizer during the day. the every other night route with ISC Active and Firming on the other seems to be perfect for my skin. BTW, i do *not* use anything on top or underneath -- just straight Diacneal (no buffer).

fenn -- thank you for your response. i may try thr Eluage for my face (i already use it on my neck and chest) if it gets too dry during the winter. i too use their sunscreens, but haven't tried the cleanser -- which one do you use?
spa_cake
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:00 pm      Reply with quote
Which formulation of Ystheal is best for dry skin?

I hear the gel is the best formulated version but would the cream be better for dry skin?
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:12 am      Reply with quote
spa_cake wrote:
Which formulation of Ystheal is best for dry skin?

I hear the gel is the best formulated version but would the cream be better for dry skin?

I think so.
faerie_bel

Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:46 am      Reply with quote
Hi, I'm new here. Smile

I am combination-dry with mild rosacea. I use the Ystheal Emulsion as I can't buy the gel here in Australia. I really like the Emulsion though. At first I had difficulty with it because my face felt dry after application. But after I switched to a creamy cleanser I had no problems. My mum actually asked me what I was using because my skin was glowing. Amazing stuff!

I've stopped using it though because I just had IPL on my face. Does anyone know if it's ok to put Ystheal back into my skincare routine after IPL? My skin is no longer red or anything like that.

Thanks
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:30 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |