Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
Flat Iron Users...Advice please!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
anya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
I just got a new ceramic flat iron on eBay and need some advice from anyone who's using this gizmo on a regular basis.
How can I avoid it frying my fine, colour treated hair? Is there a good product I can apply first before using it? I have a tiny bottle of CHI Silk Infusion that came with it (without instructions!). Is this applied to dry or wet hair?

TIA Very Happy
puglove
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:39 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Anya,

I *think* you'll apply the serum to dry hair.

With my HAI ceramic flat iron, I try to use the medium setting. The higher the setting the higher the heat which in turns means more damage - especially to coloured hair.

I also use Paul Mitchell's spray. I don't remember what its called right now. I think its reacts with the heat and actually protects your hair.

Oh yeah - don't use it on wet hair. Smile
chevycamarolvr
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:18 pm      Reply with quote
I'm a color treater... and a blow dryer... and a flat ironer...

I use the Thermasilk leave in conditioner/detangler (before drying). It's heat activated and helps protect hair from heat damage. After blowdrying/flat ironing I smooth in a little bit of the Bed Head (TIGI) Ego Boost split end mender/leave in conditioner.

My hair holds its shape really well, so I'm bad at getting regular hair cuts and often go four or five months in between.... In that long time, I usually only have a few split ends and you'd have to look pretty carefully to find 'em!
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:24 pm      Reply with quote
I use Charles Worthington London Results Stay Smooth Perfectly Straight Straightening-Iron Protection Spray before I use my Babyliss Hair Straightener. I find that it helps my hair straighten faster and minimizes the frizz.

This is what it looks like. I got mine at Shoppers Drug Mart in Canada.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=155318&catid=3562&trx=PLST-0-SEARCH&trxp1=3562&trxp2=155318&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-SEARCH
anya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:52 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks everyone for your help Very Happy I already have straight hair, but I'm getting a new blunt cut and wanted to have razor sharp ends, so I'll probably end up using it every day Shock

I'm glad to see that all the products you've recommended can be bought in a drug store Laughing I was expecting to fork out some serious $$!!!
Jala
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:48 pm      Reply with quote
Alberto Vo5 Miracle Mist Heat Defense spray is very good and available at drugstores, also. Beyond the Zone Turn up the Heat spray is another I like and available at Sally's. Smile
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:05 am      Reply with quote
make sure your hair is bone dry (unless it's a wet to straight one) as it can seriously damge your hair.
I use PPS Menz the Endz or redken Blow dry stuff (02) with my GHD's.
teatea
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:11 pm      Reply with quote
i have eased off using a flat iron as my hair dresser said that it has damaged my hair so much--so now i use a paddle brush when drying my hair.
Vana
5% products discount

Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:30 pm      Reply with quote
When u r straightening your hair, use a comb and pull it throught the chunk of hair immediately before you are about to straighten it. This will help your hair from breaking, it will reduce frizzyness and your hair will look more shiny. Just make sure you use heat protector. I am not familiar with the one you got with the flat iron, but I have learned that the creamy ones are much better than the ones that come in spray bottle, as the ones in spray bottles tend to be sticky ( just like hair spray) and hair is not as soft as it should be.
anya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:32 pm      Reply with quote
Vana I got a tiny bottle of Chi Silk Infusion with the flat iron. I'm going to use it up before I get something else. Thanks for the advice about going 'creamy' versus 'spray'.
Teatea I'm not going to use it every day since it takes too darn long and I don't have that much time in the mornings Very Happy I'd imagine using it daily would be a bit too much.

Thanks all Very Happy
my sushi secret
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:17 pm      Reply with quote
I used to use Rusk Str8 spray because it was the best thing I could find at the time; it protects your hair but does make it stiff and kind of gross the next day. This weekend I used my friend's Redken Smooth Glide serum and loved. My hair straightened better and felt much softer, but not like it was coated in the serum. It's great!
Olivia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:58 am      Reply with quote
I have color treated hair and I wash/blow/iron every day. I use Kerestase shampoo and cond and Redkin Anti Frizz (Outshine)...it seems to help with the damage the iron can do.
milodomi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:26 pm      Reply with quote
i use an anti-frizz serum by phyto, it's suppose to protect your hair from the heat
Surprised
nikkilici0us
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:58 pm      Reply with quote
hey love<3 if you can find it anywhere, use AQUAGE moisture shampoo [its a professional brand] on your hair first. Before straightening, protect the section of your hair with a heat tamer [like one from Tressemme, another store brand] or even a heat styler. Invest in a professional straightener as it will get the job done in one swipe and thus less damage with new technology and LESS FIDGITING!!!

I reccoment to you CHI turbo straightener- heats up to absolute incredible heats in 30 seconds and works wonders.

<3 good luck!

Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:22 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |