Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
help with cystic acne
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
jlunn23

Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:11 pm      Reply with quote
Hi There,
I am new here, just found the site. I have cystic acne, mainly on my chin. I have combination skin but it's a bit thin and peels very easily. I get a facial about once a month and use Pevonia products daily. I do not wear makeup much, but when I do it's BE. Although when I am done with BE I will be purchasing EM. I have tried many products with okay results. I have been trying to do my research, but with so many companies promoting different products my head is spinning!I am 30 years old and have had cystic acne for years. Can anyone give me advise on what products have worked for them and what the pros and cons were of these products.
Thanks for all your help,
Joyce
sweetp
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:31 pm      Reply with quote
Joyce I really feel for you - I am at a stage right now where I am trying to figure out my skin care regime as well. I had some cysts in the past as well and the only thing that helped me with my acne was accutane. Have you ever taken accutane? Would you ever consider it? I really hope you find somehting that works!!
Bosoxy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:12 am      Reply with quote
Hi Joyce!

My son is having very good luck with the Ice Elements Acne serum and Radiance Souffle.

He uses a handful of products by them but the above 2 are the main ones that seem to do the job.

You can visit iceelements.com and speak with the esthetician on staff on the message board if you have any questions about their products, which are natural and pharmacuetical grade aloe based spa products.

Good luck!
Bosoxy.

Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:29 am      Reply with quote
I have not tried accutane and I really don't think I want to. I have heard horror stories about it and really would rather fix the problem long term, not just a temporary fix. I rather try developing a skin care routine that will help reduce the breakouts, I know I can't get rid of them altogether, but reducing them would be great. My mom and I share the same skin, so we are both trying different things to see what works and what doesn't. We've determined that it is probably hormonal ( she is oing through menopause) and I have always had hormone issues with my periods and birth control pills(breakthrough bleeding while on them). I have finally found a birth control pill that I can take and doesn't allow me to have that problem, plus I take it everyday and skip the sugar pills. Me not getting my period and dealing with the hormone fluctuations has helped some. I will try just about anything, but would rather stay away from the harsh medications if possible.
Thanks for the suggestions!
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:37 am      Reply with quote
jlunn23 wrote:
Hi There,
I am new here, just found the site. I have cystic acne, mainly on my chin. I have combination skin but it's a bit thin and peels very easily. I get a facial about once a month and use Pevonia products daily. I do not wear makeup much, but when I do it's BE. Although when I am done with BE I will be purchasing EM. I have tried many products with okay results. I have been trying to do my research, but with so many companies promoting different products my head is spinning!I am 30 years old and have had cystic acne for years. Can anyone give me advise on what products have worked for them and what the pros and cons were of these products.
Thanks for all your help,
Joyce

Have you tried Proactiv? I've used it for a few years and it really cleard up my acne, even the big cystic ones. I believe it's a simple, affordable routine, compared to some other high-end products where you have to buy about 5 products to get the results they talk about.

I use the 3-piece, cleanser,toner, and lotion. Some people might say this stuff is evil because it dries out your skin-- I always tell people to start out using just the cleanser and toner twice a day with your regular moisturizer. Or, mix the repairing lotion WITH your moisturizer until you get used to it. To this day, I only use it at night.

You can get it a few different ways. You can order it through QVC, they sell it at the mall, or you can order through the Proactiv website. I do the latter, getting my resupply every two months, and I've never had a problem with the company. Good luck, I hope you find something that works!
canadagal
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:48 am      Reply with quote
I used to get some cystic acne and now have been taking cranberry capsules which seem to be working as I havent had anything in over 2 months now!
Linnie
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:16 am      Reply with quote
Accutane is considered to be a cure for acne. Therefore, I would hardly call it «temporary». I am going to start taking Accutane next month for cystic acne. I am doing so because nothing else worked, and I trust my dermatologist. I have heard the horror stories too, but I have also done my research. While Accutane works for most people, some other had problems, and I hope that I am not going to be one of the latter.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:48 am      Reply with quote
A lot of people with hormonal acne have had success with Aldactone. It is anti-androgenic and also helps with high blood pressure. I personally, have found the topical antibiotic Sulfacet-R to help in decreasing the size, redness and lifespan of the cysts on my chin. It's not a long-term solution however, because it doesn't stop new ones from popping up. Then again, i'm not really looking for a long-term solution as I hope my hormones will level out in time (I just quit the pill and hormones went crazy). HTH!
sportygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:28 am      Reply with quote
Linnie wrote:
Accutane is considered to be a cure for acne. Therefore, I would hardly call it «temporary». I am going to start taking Accutane next month for cystic acne. I am doing so because nothing else worked, and I trust my dermatologist. I have heard the horror stories too, but I have also done my research. While Accutane works for most people, some other had problems, and I hope that I am not going to be one of the latter.

I took accutane about twenty years ago and have not had a cyst since! Actually, I very rarely even get a pimple unless I'm extremely stressed. I was one of those users that had no negative experiences from it, not even to this day!
Unfortunately, I do have a few acne scars which have improved greatly over the years though, with skin smoothing products and microdermabrasions. Very Happy
I wish I would have taken the accutane when I first started getting the cysts, as I wouldn't be trying to smooth out the scars now! I only have 3, but they're in the cheek area so used to be quite self-conscious about them. Sad Thank God for EDS and this forum, as my skin is looking better everyday! Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:43 pm      Reply with quote
I have suffered from cystic type acne on and off for years.

I do believe that stress makes skin problems worst but it is not the cause of it.

A few years ago I started to develop cystic type acne along my jawline. (I am now 45.) It would be just one or two monthly. The red marks would take forever to fade. (I could write another post on fading red marks.) I had read on another forum that some posters had good results using milk thistle capsules. This is a product that is sold in health food stores or the health food section/supplement section in a store. I usually buy mine from my grocery store in the natural foods department. I have not noticed a difference in brands. Be sure to buy "standardizled". I take 2-4 capsules daily with food. Milk thistle is a liver detoxifying supplement. It helps your liver process toxins and helps elimate them. If you do a google search you should be able to have a better explanation of how milk thistle works.

As with supplements it does take time to see results. It did NOT help shrink the current cystic acne that I had when I first started taking the MT. But the next month was not as bad (when I started I had monthly breakouts) and the next month (two months after I started) I did not have a new breakout. It works more as a preventative rather than on existing acne.

I am still prone to this type of acne for some reason. I do take it on a long term basis. I sometimes finish a bottle of Milk thistle and then take a break for a while before going back to it.

I think it could be worth a try. Please be patient and give it at least 4-6 weeks before deciding.

BTW I keep a log (a personal calendar) of all my skin care related issues. I write down when I start supplements; I have tried other supplements but Milk Thistle is the only one that I can SEE results with. I also write down if I try a new type of product - a retinol for example.

Anyhow this is a suggestion if you do not want to go the prescription route. Also not everyone is a good candiate for Accutane (for various reasons.)
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:52 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using the Earth to Body Clay-Neem Treatment (as a mask) and their Emu-Neem soap for the past two weeks. They have made the biggest difference in my skin. I haven't had any of those nasty cystic acne on my chin. My skin has healed so much and it's much smoother.
Very Happy
Bunny7475
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:02 pm      Reply with quote
I'm 30 and have "tried everything" including accutane for my cystic acne. The ONLY thing that has "cured" me has been a combination of the birth control pill ortho tricyclen LO (which is interesting b/c a few years ago the regular version was marketed as reducing acne & I tried w/ NO results)and Retin-A micro. I also like cetaphil and use a salicytic acid cleanser about 3-4 times a week. The key for me is not to aggrivate the area, so the gentler the cleansing product the better.

Things that did NOT work for my cystic acne:
-proactiv
-differin
-accutane
-glycolic acid
-benzoyl peroxide
-I can't remember the name but maybe the stuff dollbird mentioned - it's for high blood pressure and I went through SO MUCH to get it (blood tests, etc.) and then it didn't work
for me
-I'm sorry, but no natural remedies worked for me. I have tried them all, over a span of about 10 years. They are wonderful for minor skin issues but I needed heavier artillery.

there are also some great websites dealing specifically w/ this issue. This is a topic close to my heart after dealing w/ it for so many years. Good luck to you!!!
joani.sp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:34 pm      Reply with quote
I had terrible acne as a teen and still suffer from the occasional problem (and I'm way too old to have acne. Acne and wrinkles...how attractive)!
I used Accutane and it worked. I did not have any major side effects except very dry lips and dry eyes. I used eye drops and lip balm. I know that doctors are using Accutane at lower doses with good results. When I used it, it was in maga-doses...
But Retin A Micro is amazing! It helps clear the skin while building collagen. And the Micro is not greasy at all. You have to be extra "sun careful" but I believe it is worth it.
My big humiliation was when the pharmacist told me my insurance company would not pay for it...because I was too old and should be past the age of using it!
I know everyone is different, but if you have not tried Retin A Micro, you might ask your doctor about it.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:45 am      Reply with quote
jlunn23 - you sound as if you have similar skin to me. I have oily skin, prone to breakouts and blackheads. Over the past year or so I've also started developing cystic acne around and under my jaw line. I'm using pevonia products and going through a course of facials and omnilux treatments. I have an appointment with a dermatologist in two weeks to discuss using roaccutane. It's not something I'm too keen to do but it's definitley an option. I take much better care of my skin now and eat better then ever, so I don't understand why I'm now getting these cysts on top of everything else. I hope you find something that works for you. have you been to see a Dr?
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:35 pm      Reply with quote
jlunn23 wrote:
I have not tried accutane and I really don't think I want to. I have heard horror stories about it and really would rather fix the problem long term, not just a temporary fix. I rather try developing a skin care routine that will help reduce the breakouts, I know I can't get rid of them altogether, but reducing them would be great. My mom and I share the same skin, so we are both trying different things to see what works and what doesn't. We've determined that it is probably hormonal ( she is oing through menopause) and I have always had hormone issues with my periods and birth control pills(breakthrough bleeding while on them). I have finally found a birth control pill that I can take and doesn't allow me to have that problem, plus I take it everyday and skip the sugar pills. Me not getting my period and dealing with the hormone fluctuations has helped some. I will try just about anything, but would rather stay away from the harsh medications if possible.
Thanks for the suggestions!

Same here! I was afraid to take accutane and I said no to the doctor. Instead, he prescribed Vitamin A cream (to help the oils go through my pores) and Moisteral lotion mixed with antibiotic (to heal any openings).

But you have to wear sunblock all the time and over time, you get dry skin. I noticed after one year my skin got really dry in the winter.
Misha
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:48 pm      Reply with quote
I had cystic acne for many years. I tried quite a few products until I stumbled upon a few things. First, I quite smoking. It helped a lot with the cysts but I still got them fairly regularly, just not as bad. Second, I found out I have an underactive thyroid which can cause acne with some people. When my thyroid is off I can definately tell it just by my acne flairing up. Finally, I joined a gym and started exercising regularly. I signed up for an intro package with a personal trainer so that I could learn what to do. Included with that program is a food plan. I gave it my all for two months and I really stuck with the meals. It made me realise how bad my eating had been. Basically for two months, I didn't drink any soda or eat any overly processed foods. I haven't had a cyst since I started this program. Now, lately I've been slacking on the exercise and diet and I'm starting to really break out and I can feel two cystics forming. That's motivation enough for me to get back to the gym! Not to mention the weight I've lost Very Happy

I think if it weren't for fixing those four things (smoking, thyroid, exercise and food) I'd still be trying to find products to help with my acne. I really do believe those things were the answer for me. Fix the skin from the inside. My skin's far from perfect but it's so much better than it's ever been.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:08 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |