Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

what do you do with products you no longer need or use?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
lulabelle
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:45 am      Reply with quote
Hi Everyone

Since I joined EDS the number of products I have in my bathroom has increased considerably!

I am cleaning out my bathroom closet right now trying to organize my mass amounts of products now and am finding a lot that I no longer use or need.

What do you guys do with products (face, body, hair etc...) that you no longer use?

Some of these products are half empty others almost completely full. I have a few friends who I give some of my extra stuff too... but what other options do you guys suggest?
It would be a shame to throw a lot of this stuff out!

Other ideas I was considering were donating them to the local Woman's Shelter or the homeless shelter... but i'm not sure they would take open/used products.

TIA!!

Lau
Lola33
5% products discount

Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:45 am      Reply with quote
If the product has expired and is starting to have an off smell, I through it out. Otherwise, I give the half used product I no longer use to my mom or friends.

It may be hard to donate if the package is opened due to unsanitary reasons.
CompassRose
5% products discount

Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:31 pm      Reply with quote
I think there's a "product trade" area on makeupalley dot com. Not that I've ever used it.

I usually keep them for ages and then have a gigantic liberating tossout party... It gets more painful, too, as the products get more expensive.

37, and suddenly hitting the age wall... just last year I got carded, don't think it would happen now. Medium-fair combination skin, oilier in summer. Occasional isolated, but thus more prominent, breakouts. I react to most products, eventually.
lulabelle
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:46 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah, I saw the swap page on makeupalley... but it seems like too much of a hassle to be worth it.

I think I am going to throw out the cheap/really old things and pass along everything else to my mom/friends.

I had one friend who I used to swap stuff with all the time, but she just moved to England! aw *tear* I think i'm going to have to hunt down another skin care obsessed friend!

What about empty containers?
Could I empty out my bottles and recycle them somehow?!
lulabelle
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:47 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah, I saw the swap page on makeupalley... but it seems like too much of a hassle to be worth it.

I think I am going to throw out the cheap/really old things and pass along everything else to my mom/friends.

I had one friend who I used to swap stuff with all the time, but she just moved to England! aw *tear* I think i'm going to have to hunt down another skin care obsessed friend!

Could I empty out my bottles and recycle them somehow?! (i.e. not just throwing them into my recycle bin...)
autumn
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:58 pm      Reply with quote
I do try to give away as many products as possible.

While I read/post on MUA forums I agree that swapping seems to be a lot of work.

I have reactive skin so a lot of items I cannot use on my face. BUT I am able to use them on my hands, etc. So my hands get treated to Vitamin C treatments and AHA, etc.

Just a suggestion to use facial products on your body if your face is sensitive.
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:14 pm      Reply with quote
I gave away products to my friends and family.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:34 pm      Reply with quote
i gave mine to my mother Smile
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:40 pm      Reply with quote
Before I moved to Asia I tried to get rid of cupboard fulls of stuff, but no-one wanted it Laughing I find the English are so into aging naturally and not using actives (except us few brave souls) that most of my products frightened them.
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:13 pm      Reply with quote
I have such a surplus. Once every few months, I downsize & send both my sisters stuff.
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:14 pm      Reply with quote
The makeup alley swap is a geat idea.
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:11 pm      Reply with quote
I use up some of the stuff on my neck/chest area/hands (retinols, Vit-C's, etc.) that don't work for my face. As for the other stuff, probably twice a year I'll put together a goody bag and let my sisters and niece pick what they want out of it and then what isn't wanted, unfortunately, gets thrown out. Sad Hopefully once I find a routine I'm happy with, I'll have alot less to give away. Very Happy
shantel
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:38 pm      Reply with quote
Hey, we should make EDS-exchange or something like that...
Would be so cool if everybody list the products they have but no longer need or like! I am sure there are a lot of people who would love to swap the staff around!!!

Does somebody interested in Yon-Ka products: Juvenil & their gel cleanser (forgot the name)? Almost full - fresh (I got it just 2 weeks ago). I am sure those are nice products, but my skin just doesn't like them. Would trade for anything Decleor or Dr. H or anything else!!! Anybody interested in 1/4 used JB Green Apple Peel? Plus I have lots of samples that I won't use! Lets trade samples packs?! How about 10 pieces sample pack surprise? Or EDS goodie bag? Wink
shantel
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:43 pm      Reply with quote
Laughing Laughing Laughing
Actually all my pre-EDS purchases of moisurizer creams & lotions I am using on my feet now Laughing Surely my feet like that!!!
All my face cleansers became handsoaps, the more expensive ones - body soaps or shaving creams. All the Serums goes on my hands & shoulders...

Actually surprisingly enough my feet LOVE Clinique staff Laughing
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:52 pm      Reply with quote
My sister loves getting her surprise goodies package from me.
I like the idea of a swap on EDS. I don't think they would do it though as they sell the products.
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:00 pm      Reply with quote
lulabelle wrote:
Could I empty out my bottles and recycle them somehow?! (i.e. not just throwing them into my recycle bin...)

I re-use alot of my old bottles. Usually soak them over night in hot soapy water - then rinse in the AM, soak again in hot soapy water then scrub them with bottle brushes. Rinse really well, put out on a drying rack. I won't re-cap the empty bottle once dry, just have them in another container. I have bottles for all my stuff then. I just use address labels to mark whatever may be in that bottle I've re-used. I spend SO much on packaging for my other stuff I refuse to put my 'personal use' cache in those bottles, only the recycled ones.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:48 am      Reply with quote
Molly wrote:
I find the English are so into aging naturally and not using actives (except us few brave souls) that most of my products frightened them.

Heck no! I'm English and there's no way I'm going down without a fight! Those wrinkles are going to have to drag me away, kicking and screaming. Bring on the actives - I intend to age as disgracefully as possible! Laughing

BTW I keep my containers, wash 'em out carefully and re-use. They're especially good for decanting stuff to use whilst travelling.
lulabelle
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:14 am      Reply with quote
Thanks everyone for your replies!

I like the idea of using old containers to decant stuff for travelling!

I like to think I will use them too once I get around to actually trying to make some more of the DIY recipes!
TooInvolved
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:21 am      Reply with quote
Agreed, the makeupalley swap can be a hassle. But you can get cool products in return - things you may not have tried on your own.

The other drawback, though, is that it's a tad weird getting half-used products from strangers. You gotta trust them - or not...
vacpl
5% products discount

Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:33 am      Reply with quote
I just started swapping on MUA about 2 weeks ago. I've been pretty careful and only swapped within my limits of what I'm comfortable with, and so far it's been great.

It's a bit of a hassle, but to me that's very small. And it's seriously fun to not only get products I've been dying to try, but also ones I've not even thought of. And all for the price of postage. After all, I've already spent the money on the stuff on my swap list. . . Otherwise it usually just sits about until I trash it. Laughing
sportygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:55 am      Reply with quote
I use everything up on my hands, chest and feet! I don't throw anything out. I'm too frugal for that! Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:55 am      Reply with quote
I'm acne-prone, my SO isn't. Anything that I can't use goes to him. He has often been heard saying in an annoyed manner, "ANOTHER thing to use?!" Actually, his face looks way better than mine right now. Darn--I work so hard at improving MY complexion, but HE gets the serious improvements AND the compliments! He used to be reluctant to use my "girly" products, but after seeing the results and getting compliments at work on his new and improved complexion, I think he now "secretly" adores them.

I've tried swapping a few things on MUA. Many of the MUA swappers are very generous and include extra "goodies" and/or samples of products. It's lots of fun, but it does take time and postage.

So, it's either pass on unwanted products to the boyfriend or family members or trade them on the Make-Up Alley Swap Forum. I hate to throw anything out--I'm too cheap! (Unless I really hate it and need the resolve of eliminating it from the face of the earth.)

*Sportygirl--I like your idea of using up not-so-great products on hands, chest, and feet. I don't know why I never thought of that! Brick wall

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:05 am      Reply with quote
Seeking - I forgot to mention that I also use them up on my butt, esp. heavy or oily creams that clog the pores on my face! Laughing Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:30 pm      Reply with quote
sportygirl wrote:
Seeking - I forgot to mention that I also use them up on my butt, esp. heavy or oily creams that clog the pores on my face! Laughing Laughing

That's so funny, yet innovative. I'm going to tell my BF that he's lucky that he gets my products instead of my butt getting them! Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:40 pm      Reply with quote
i usually swap it on mua if it has any in-demand value, or i just dont use it and forget about it until i do some cleaning up and throw it out :/
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:36 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |