Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Mineral Makeup and micro tears in the skin
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:42 pm      Reply with quote
I just read an article about how mica and bismuth oxychloride can cause micro tears in the skin. this is the first i have heard of this. the info is actually on page 2 of this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/24/fashion/24skin.html?pagewanted=1&ei=5088&en=5a0b9ce461ec082f&ex=1314072000&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:51 pm      Reply with quote
I read it too and it's freaking me out also.
ArtTeacher
5% products discount

Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:42 pm      Reply with quote
All that I know is that my skin is way happier with it than without it. So, I'm good. My skin isn't irriated or bothered, so I won't let two sentences in an article freak me out at all. I don't know, the media.....they have to show a flip side. What the helk is a microtear anyhow?
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:38 pm      Reply with quote
I read this NYT article just after I finally jumped on the MMU bandwagon and starting using Jane Iredale pressed base in Bisque. Being a forum member, there really wasn't anything surprising to me in the piece since MMU has been discussed at length here.

I have no regrets. So much other makeup besides MMU contains mica and bismuth, as I seem to recall. Actually, it's almost horrifying to read the ingredients in eye shadow, lip color, blush -- well, anything. What about all of the forum members who love sparkly makeup? No doubt whatever gives makeup a sparkle is something metallic and probably has the potential to be just as irritating as anything in MMU.

One thing that I think CAN be irritating about MMU is the directive to buff buff buff. Does anyone consider what bristles, even soft ones, are doing to the skin when they're brushed over and over it? Now THAT'S what I call irritating and I don't bother doing it -- I just apply a very light dusting (when I even bother -- I don't like to wear too much foundation anyway) with the JI Handi Brush.

Bottom line, I like MMU and I'm not fearful of micro tears.
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:11 pm      Reply with quote
I think that if the MMU was creating tears in your skin your face would start to become red and irritated over time.
If it's not doing that then I wouldn't worry.
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:16 pm      Reply with quote
What does that mean? Micro-tears in the outer layer of the skin? In the dead skin cell layer? Isn't that where mineral makeup sits and doesn't absorb into the deeper layers of the skin? Doesn't micro-fiber cloths and strong micro exfoliants also cause micro tears?

Maybe they are thinking of larger size mica particles and not the soft micronized mica used in MMU? I hate it when they say stuff like that but don't elaborate or give sources as to where they got that from. I do as I always do when seeing something like that and look it up online. I couldn't find any other websites saying anything about that except for sites publishing that article. Confused
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:23 pm      Reply with quote
yeah, i definitely have to look for more articles for this. but the micro-tears do scare me though, any possibility of tears scare me actually. i don't really wear mineral makeup, but just ran into this article when i was searching for ones on Mac's mineralized skinfinishes (which the main ingredient is talc btw).

i do agree about the buffing and buffing part too. it seems to pull at the skin a lot.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:39 pm      Reply with quote
Is talc bad in skincare?

I returned my skinfinish as I couldn't wear it over my SS.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:44 pm      Reply with quote
Emma2006 wrote:
Is talc bad in skincare?

I returned my skinfinish as I couldn't wear it over my SS.

i am kinda on the fence with talc. it seems like all my powders minus my pure minerals stuff, has talc in it. my dr. haushka pressed powder compact has it, so does the mineralized fnished, and most of my eyeshadows have talc. i have read that talc isn't so terrible when it's in your face products, but it can be harmful if it used near your private parts as it can cause cancer down there. but since talc for face cosmetics pretty much stays on the face, i wouldn't worry about it too much. i hope that helps some.

btw Emma, why can't you wear the skinfinish over your sunscreen? is the color off?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:06 am      Reply with quote
It's not the colour - I loved the finish it gave me but it's the fact that it was a mineralise one.
My SS is chemical and I don't want the titanium dioxide reacting with my SS.

I could have kept it for the evenings I suppose but I have my Clarins transluscent one which I'm very happy with.
I also bought Jurlique's Silk Dust over weekend - that is fine to wear over any SS.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:30 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |