Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)
UK folk - what's the latest on custom duties ?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
charlie
5% products discount

Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:48 am      Reply with quote
From reading various UK forums some time ago I understand parcels from EDS were being targetted by Customs and Excise and just about everything was being caught for import duties. This was somewhat offputting as previously there was a good chance our parcels would go through without being stopped.

In your experience have things improved or are EDS packages still under the C&E spotlight and nearly all incurring hefty taxes ?
Mabsy

Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:58 am      Reply with quote
I sincerely doubt that it is EDS specifically that is being targeted by customs. It would be all parcels in general....
charlie
5% products discount

Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:09 am      Reply with quote
Hi Mabsy!

It was reported on one of the UK forums by someone who had apparently contacted C&E and they said EDS were being spotlighted. True or not I don't know, but others were adding their experience that their parcels had started to be caught, so it sounded genuine. Or maybe UK C&E just got their act together and the chances of anything going through duty-free dropped.

Anyway, hence my question. Interested to see what people's experience is now. Smile
lin23
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:41 am      Reply with quote
Though i'm not from the UK (am from one of the EC countries) i've never experienced any problems with EDS deliveries yet. they arrived relatively promptly, without paying any customs fee, without any clearing forms (which i often have to fill in for parcels from the US - whatever small they are, even for envelops...). I
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:49 am      Reply with quote
I'm in the UK, and to me it seems to be completely random still - sometimes a package will sneak in under the radar, but more than likely it gets picked up and duties charged. I try to factor the possible charges in when I'm ordering stuff so it's not such a horrible shock!
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:26 am      Reply with quote
Almost all of my parcels these days are being picked up by C&E, not just the EDS ones. Very occasionally one will get in under the radar (which brings me great joy when it happens! Very Happy )

Like fifi, I factor in the potential charges when I'm ordering. I must say that the luvverly 15% EDS discount does help to offset the Customs fee pain a little. Besides, the EDS prices are often so good that it's worth ordering here even if you do have to pay extra to the C&E people.
VL
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:55 am      Reply with quote
Hello,
My last order was spotted by the customs and when I rang them to ask, they said I was lucky that the previous two had slipped through.

The tax is standard 17.5% on the value of the the parcel. Therefore, I suggested in my latest order to deduct the price of postage from the value of the contents.

I too factor in the possibility of paying the tax and so order accordingly.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:07 pm      Reply with quote
My parcel took four weeks to arrive and I had to pay a customs charge plus a handling fee.
VL
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:16 am      Reply with quote
it's a hunch - The only time my parcel was charged customs was when it was packed in an oblong box and not a square box. Plus there was a red big postit- airmail on the parcel.

The bit that pinches is the post office charges £4 as handling charges over and above the VAT charge of 17.5%.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:11 am      Reply with quote
As far as I know, the handling fee from Parcel Force is much higher than the Post Office one. Truly scary.
Caspers Mum

Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:53 pm      Reply with quote
The UK government is very strict in enforcing their regulations. They want Britons buying within their own country, supporting the economy. Therefore, they charge large duties on imported purchases, and sometimes ... legitimate gifts!

Example: I mailed a legit. gift to a friend in London last month, from my own address. She was charged duty on it!

There is no way around the UK system, and I wish Britons would understand this!

Most people understand how merciless the U.K. gov't. is with their duties & V.A.T. However, I grow really tired of (select) customers whom blame Essential Day Spa for their purchases having had duties applied.

It has nothing to do with Essential Day Spa!

We stipulate the possibility of duties being added (in our policies). Also, before U.K. customers may proceed with entering payment details, they must acknowledge reading & acceptance of possible charges to their purchases. Otherwise, they cannot proceed to payment. Some people likely acknowledge reading/acceptance-of these, without actually doing-so. Convenient for themselves, but then they complain later, siting "false advertising", or having "been mislead" by EDS.

How convenient, to pass the blame onto EDS, when the onus is up to the purchaser to read the policies, and take time to read these when they're highlighted! Personally, it annoys me when people carry-on about this, trying to twist my arm to bend policies. "The customer is always right.", or so the saying goes. However, some people abuse this saying, for their own gratification.

Kindly note: if I make purchases from abroad, I am charged both duty and Canadian G.S.T. I don't expect the shipping business to pay for my duty or taxes.
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:26 pm      Reply with quote
I've never been stung by C&E on eds parcels, though I have on stff from a vintage style site I buy from. It is all just totally random and even if stuff is sent as a 'gift' unless it has a low value placed on it (which would presumably void the insurance if it were lost) it can still get stopped.

I do get peed off with parcelforce charges though. They are totally random as well. I paid a £16 handling charge (the whole package only cost me £20) on top of the VAT. Another time it was £8 for a £50 parcel Confused

The only way around it is to keep orders under £18 or hope they get through.

BTW Charlie, which UK site are you on?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:38 am      Reply with quote
I think it's just that UK Customs have seriously tightened up their act and are being much stricter than they used to be. That's why so few parcels are slipping through the net these days.

It's definitely nothing to do with EDS personally.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:49 am      Reply with quote
I'm amazed by all this. I've been buying over the internet for eons and I've never been charged by UK customs on any parcel in my life. I think they must have really tightened up on this because I've been living abroad now for over 4 years. I got a couple of parcels delivered when I was back last summer though and still no duty.

Now I've read this I'm frightened to go home Anxious I can't afford it!
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:44 am      Reply with quote
No, don't go home, Molly! Instead let us come out there and live with you so we don't have to pay the scary fees either! Laughing
vani
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:50 pm      Reply with quote
Everytime I ordered from US websites, I'll be charged!! No exemption at all! Once the whole package worth USD 80, and I was asked to pay a custom tax of 20 pounds!!

I just received my order from EDS and haven't received the letter requiring me to pay for the customs yet this time!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:06 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |