Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Acne prone members: How does your skin react to squalane?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:45 am      Reply with quote
Just curious to see if those of you who are acne prone have experienced a worsening of your acne from using either pure squalane or products with squalane? If so what product caused this and does it contain a lot of squalane or just a little?
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:53 am      Reply with quote
Am I the only acne prone member of our forum that has used products containing squalane???
Olyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:30 am      Reply with quote
Hi TheresaL,
I have no idea what squalene is, or which of my products might contain it, and therefore whether or not my skin reacts to it! I'm sorry Embarassed ! Could you maybe give us a little background on what it's used for and which products might contain it? Did you hear something about it being bad, or are you thinking you might be getting a bad reaction from it?

So far I have noticed bad skin reactions from Vitamin C products, MMU containing bismuth, and possibly MMU containing mica as a primary ingredient (jury is still out on that one).
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:40 am      Reply with quote
I use an eye cream that has squalane as an ingredient. I've experienced no 'side effects.' I've read it can come from shark livers (!!!) but now it's commonly drawn from olives.

From alabu.com:

<i>Squalane is a clear, odorless and colorless oil. It boosts the skin's ability to naturally regenerate, nourish, hydrate, oxygenate and protect itself. Squalane is reported to help clear up difficult skin problems (eczema, dermatitis, rashes, etc.) when nothing else helps very much. It also heals skin cracks, which are a significant health issue in the winter as germs can easily enter the body through cracked fingers/hands that have dried out from cold conditions. Squalane has these unique abilities because the oil is naturally a major factor in skin lubrication as well as providing germ killing activity when it is properly concentrated in the skin. It helps to prevent the formation of brown age spots and can protect against the radiation of the sun. In this regards it is a major oil that prevents skin aging. Squalane is also found in small quantities in olive oil, wheat germ oil, rice bran oil, and yeast. Squalane has the ability to permeate into the skin. Squalane is used in cosmetic preparations to soften the skin, to reduce small facial wrinkles, and as a bactericidal agent. Squalane has also been used to speed wound healing. </i>
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:44 am      Reply with quote
It appears to break people out on theskincareboard - they're fed up because they can't use PSFs ALA in squalane. (it's very nice too)

You might have seen that already, but in case you missed it. Wink
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:48 am      Reply with quote
Olyn squalane is an excellent moisturizing ingredient. It is either derived from olives in which case I think it is called squalane or derived from shark liver in which case it is called squalene. I believe that the olive derived one is generally considered to be superior. It can be used pure and is often an ingredient in moisturizers. IMO if you see this ingredient high on the ingredient list that is a good thing.
If someone sees an error in any of the above point it out to me!
Actually I have heard a lot about it being bad for acne prone individuals. If you take a look at www.theskincareboard.com you will find lots of info that indicates that this is a very bad ingredient for acne prone individuals.
Here is why I am asking this. I had been using a moisturizer, La Roche Posay Toleraine Fluid, that has squalane listed as the second ingredient and my skin started breaking out a few weeks after I started using it. I never connected it to my acne until I started reading the skincareboard. Well after seeing what they had to say on that forum I concluded that squalane must be a no-no for me. Jump ahead to a little over a month ago. I ran out of my Kanebo Emulsion I and swithed to some other light moisturizers that I had on hand but had never tried before. They all irritated my skin and in desperation I reached for my Kanebo Emulsion II which I had only ever used a few times and stopped using because squalane is listed as one of the first few ingredeints. But I was desperate to use something that would not irritate my skin and tried it. Well over a month later and my acne is the best it has been in a long time! So I am starting to wonder if squalane was the cause of my acne worsening before as it certainly doesn't seem to be causing a problem now.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:49 am      Reply with quote
It seems like several of you posted while I was typing my reply. Thanks for the input!
neroliwater
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
I've try LRP Toleraine Fluid and it worked ok for me. No breakout.

Later I ordered some plain squalane from Garden of wisdom and mixed it with some of my carrier oil + essential oils. I broke out one or two days after I put it on my face though I never had any bad reaction to my carrier/essential oil combination. So I knew it must be squalane. I even tried to dilute the concentation (10%-->1%? cannot remember) but it didn't help.

So I don't understand why my face responsed differently to different squalanes. It might be related to sources, concentration, the solution it was in, etc.
shantel
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:07 pm      Reply with quote
I just recently started using PSF ALA & I love it. Its too early to say if its causing any acne worsening though, but I do not believe so.

OT: Talking about acne worsening... Uhhh started using Dr. H Rhytmic Night Conditioner few days ago - 3 days later I looked so bad... really bad - whatever it is purging effect or not - I will never have this staff anywhere close to my face. Sorry for Off-Topic rant here!
Bosoxy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:57 am      Reply with quote
If you stick with a squalane that is 100% squalane and one dirived from olives rather than shark livers you should be all set as that type of squalane is most like our own human sebum and is great for moisturizing and hydration.

It works especially well in the eye area or on problem areas, and can be used on the scalp and in the hair.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:14 pm      Reply with quote
neroliwater it seems that we had opposite reactions to the LRP Toleraine. I wonder if my reaction to it was caused by one of the other ingredients or like you said the combination of ingredients. Or I imagine it could have been caused by something else and I just assumed it was the LRP??

shantel, how long have you been using the PSF ALA? Please keep me updated on this product. I would be really interested to see if it ends up worsening your acne.

Bosoxy when you say 100% squalane do you mean to use squalane and nothing else or do you mean that what is called squalane may or may not be 100% squalane? I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question!! I do know that the Kanebo Emulsion II has olive derived squalane. I don't know what the source of the LRP one is.
shantel
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:08 pm      Reply with quote
TheresaL wrote:

shantel, how long have you been using the PSF ALA? Please keep me updated on this product. I would be really interested to see if it ends up worsening your acne.

I've been using it for about 5-6 days (AM & PM) & so far I am very pleased. I have not noticed any acne worsening, I actually think it helps bit... since I am using BHA to treat acne & 5% Benzoyl Peroxide (spot treatment once in 3-4 days at night) - it dries my skin out a bit - so PSF ALA does help to keep my skin moist. Plus I have very reactive skin - I can usually see if my skin doesn't like a certain product pretty quickly (withing 2-3 days for sure), seems like my skin doesn't mind PSF ALA at all. I will post in a few days with an update.
HTH
dealated
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
I started using squaline (olive derived) today! I will definitely update on potential breakouts Embarassed
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:38 pm      Reply with quote
shantel wrote:
TheresaL wrote:

I've been using it for about 5-6 days (AM & PM) & so far I am very pleased. I have not noticed any acne worsening, I actually think it helps bit... since I am using BHA to treat acne & 5% Benzoyl Peroxide (spot treatment once in 3-4 days at night) - it dries my skin out a bit - so PSF ALA does help to keep my skin moist. Plus I have very reactive skin - I can usually see if my skin doesn't like a certain product pretty quickly (withing 2-3 days for sure), seems like my skin doesn't mind PSF ALA at all. I will post in a few days with an update.
HTH

Shantel, I'm really interested too! Please keep us updated!! Surprised

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:36 pm      Reply with quote
You guys made me worried now!!! Fact #1: I haven't develop a new pimple since I started using it. Fact #2: My existing blemishes do take longer to heal now - and I fight really severe with them (using everything: BHA, Benzoyl, PSF Acne Mud, Tea Trea Oil + Emu, Praventin Orally + Perricone's Clear Skin Supplements). So I don't know now... I might skip it tonight just to see if I will wake up with better results? Think
Bosoxy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:12 pm      Reply with quote
TheresaL wrote:

Bosoxy when you say 100% squalane do you mean to use squalane and nothing else or do you mean that what is called squalane may or may not be 100% squalane? I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question!! I do know that the Kanebo Emulsion II has olive derived squalane. I don't know what the source of the LRP one is.

Hi Theresa!

That is not a stupid question at all!

I meant to purchase it as 100% squalane, nothing mixed in... no water or anything... That way you can use very little. If there are other ingredients on the label, you will not know how much squalane you are actually getting and it isn't something that needs to be diluted.

Take care.
Bosoxy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:41 am      Reply with quote
delated I look forward to your update!

Liz-fess up! I know you have been using the LRP Toleraine. What are your results with this?

shantel don't get overly worried Wink . If you skip it tonight let us know how your skin is in the morning!

Thanks Bosoxy!
PocoLoco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:42 am      Reply with quote
I will break out promptly from squalane containing products...unless it's way down on the ingredient list.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:06 am      Reply with quote
TheresaL wrote:
delated I look forward to your update!

Liz-fess up! I know you have been using the LRP Toleraine. What are your results with this?

shantel don't get overly worried Wink . If you skip it tonight let us know how your skin is in the morning!

Thanks Bosoxy!

LOL Nothing gets past you, does it Theresa? Ok, well I just don't know about the LRP Toleraine. It feels very light and seems like it lets my skin breathe, but mind you I've been dealing with a serious bout of clogged pores that I've been trying to clear up, and it seemed like when I was using the LRPTF that they weren't clearing up as quickly as they should, and worse yet, I was still getting more! So, I'm taking a little break from the LRPTF and plan to go back to it after my skin has completely cleared to try it again and see what happens. In the meantime, the only moisturizer I've found that absolutely does not clog my pores is zenbiotic's phyto moisture spray. This stuff is a spray, not a lotion, so when I use it I dampen my face first with either Caudalie's Grape Water or zenbiotic's O2 serum/oxytoner, and then I mist on some of the phyto moisture and it works remarkably well. An added bonus for the phyto moisture is that it seems to speed the healing of blemishes and extractions gone horribly wrong. The ingredients are:
Purified water, witch hazel extract, strawberry, cucumber, rice extract, lily extract, plant proteins, Vitamin E, pure vegetable glycerin

HTH, Theresa! In the meantime, I'm looking forward to hearing how other acne-prone members reacted to the LRPTF and I hope I can go back to it eventually!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:33 am      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
LOL Nothing gets past you, does it Theresa?

Your probably right Liz! Bad Grin

Hey this thread is getting very interesting.

Poco Loco define promptly. I wish I reacted promptly, it takes me at least 3 weeks and sometimes longer to tell if something will cause breakouts for me Sad . I wish I knew the percentages of squalane in the products I used. I know that both the LRP and the Kanebo moisturizers have it listed as the second ingredient so I am assuming that they contain a lot of it.

Liz, both you and shantel mentioned your clogged pores/pimples were taking longer to heal since using products containing squalane. I have actually noticed that my pimples are healing a lot quicker since using the Kanebo. My guess is that the anti-infammatories in this product are helping but who knows. I have been having a lot of issues with clogged pores for months. At first I attributed it to the LRP and squalane. But after I stopped using this and was using the Kanebo I Emulsion that has no squalane my pores were still clogged. Then I started using the Kanebo II Emulsion with squalane and if anything my pores have been looking a little better lately (probably due to MaMa lotion). But here is my point my pores did not clear up in the 7 weeks or so that I was not using squalane, so I wonder if that is what was/is causing my clogged pores. I am still trying to sort out what is causing them and it is not easy. Lately I have been very strict about adding new products or changing things in my routine because I would really like to be able to pinpoint exacty what is causing problems.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:53 am      Reply with quote
TheresaL wrote:
manslayerliz wrote:
LOL Nothing gets past you, does it Theresa?

Your probably right Liz! Bad Grin

Hey this thread is getting very interesting.

Poco Loco define promptly. I wish I reacted promptly, it takes me at least 3 weeks and sometimes longer to tell if something will cause breakouts for me Sad . I wish I knew the percentages of squalane in the products I used. I know that both the LRP and the Kanebo moisturizers have it listed as the second ingredient so I am assuming that they contain a lot of it.

Liz, both you and shantel mentioned your clogged pores/pimples were taking longer to heal since using products containing squalane. I have actually noticed that my pimples are healing a lot quicker since using the Kanebo. My guess is that the anti-infammatories in this product are helping but who knows. I have been having a lot of issues with clogged pores for months. At first I attributed it to the LRP and squalane. But after I stopped using this and was using the Kanebo I Emulsion that has no squalane my pores were still clogged. Then I started using the Kanebo II Emulsion with squalane and if anything my pores have been looking a little better lately (probably due to MaMa lotion). But here is my point my pores did not clear up in the 7 weeks or so that I was not using squalane, so I wonder if that is what was/is causing my clogged pores. I am still trying to sort out what is causing them and it is not easy. Lately I have been very strict about adding new products or changing things in my routine because I would really like to be able to pinpoint exacty what is causing problems.

Ugh, I know just what you are saying, Theresa! It seems like these clogged pores will NEVER go away!! Right now I'm totally on the warparth, so I'm sticking to gel cleansers, scrubs, peels/masks, and oil-free mists, so I hope things start to get better. Keep me updated!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:06 pm      Reply with quote
Theresa,

For me "promptly" means anywhere between 8 and 24 hours. Yep...sometimes I can put on an offending product in the morning and be broken out by 5:00 pm.

If squalane is listed as the second ingredient in a listing, that is indeed a LOT of squalane. Most people prone to breakouts would not be able to tolerate that.

As for keeping pores clean, I find that a daily dose of 2% BHA does wonders for that. 5% if I have a really bad case.
Olyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:12 pm      Reply with quote
So I remembered to check some of my products for squalene and the only product I use that contains it is the creme I use for my eyes. It was listed as 'vegetable squalene' and it was pretty high up on the list. I only use a tiny amount though and only in the area just under my eyes-not exactly an area I break out in anyway. I've been using it for several months now and haven't noticed any adverse effects. I'm glad I know about squalene now though, so I can add that to my mental list of things to be on the lookout for in an ingredients list. Smile
shantel
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:55 pm      Reply with quote
Ok, I didn't applied ALA tonight, just HA + Emu. I woke up with a drier/tighter skin then usual - that's the only difference I could see/feel. So I am thinking to start using it again... maybe will have another ALA free night tonight & if the next morning the only difference I could see is drier skin, then I will definitely go back to using PSF ALA everyday.
Sorry for off-topic again, but I need to share my last night experience with HA & Emu. I usually use Clear Emu Oil - love-it - never-want-to-be-without - but last night I applied ULTRA Emu Oil over my HA - and OMG it turned out to be like a white film all over my face... that was pretty unexpected - still don't know why this happened & what was that. It looked like milky white thin film all over me... & I could peel it off pretty easily. Any comment on that? Any ideas what was it & why? Is good, bad, normal?
PocoLoco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:04 pm      Reply with quote
My guess is that the Ultra emu was not able to penetrate something already on your skin...it didn't absorb. It doesn't absorb quite as easily as the clear emu. Once in a while I'll put it on after putting on some kind of gel-like product underneath it, and if I rub, little balls of stuff will flake off. This is the underneath product combining with the oil and balling up. Could this be what happened to you?

If so, it helps to wait 15 minutes to wait for the first product to fully absorb. Most of the time this works but I did find one product that always balls up no matter how long I wait before applying emu...Kripps DMAE serum did that. I ended up putting it in "garage sale" box. Smile

P.S. I always mix up my Ultra emu WITH my HA in the palm of my hand and apply them together. After about 10 minutes they will be fully absorbed. You might try that approach.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:34 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |