Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
12.5% TCA Peel - Any last minute advice?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:48 am      Reply with quote
Okay so I'm going to do my first TCA peel tomorrow night, so that way if I'm red for a day I can hide out on Saturday. I don't really mind if I'm peeling at work so I'm not that concerned with it. I did do a couple of test spots and only one of them actually peeled, so I don't think this is going to be all that dramatic and scary as it can seem.

My plan is to do the peel tomorrow night, then immediately apply my CP serum, wait a bit, and then top it off with Emu oil. I've read that this should help the area heal faster, but since it's not antibacterial, I don't know if I should throw in neosporin somewhere as well.

Any suggestions or advice before I take my big leap? Thanks in advance! Very Happy
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:21 am      Reply with quote
OMG, TAM, wish I had some to give but your plan sounds good. I'm using 20% TCA but only for spot treatment. Did the first one today and it's going according to plan.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you, girl. BE CAREFUL and keep us posted on your progress!!!!

Smile
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:36 am      Reply with quote
I plan to be as careful as possible! I'm not going to put it anywhere near my eyes and since I didn't get much irritation/peeling with my test spots, I'm not that concerned. Still, you never know how some parts of your face are going to take it! Thanks!
Janis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:38 am      Reply with quote
Good luck...

And definitely track your experience/results here. I know I am interested personally, but I'm sure many others are, as well.
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:03 am      Reply with quote
Janis wrote:
Good luck...

And definitely track your experience/results here. I know I am interested personally, but I'm sure many others are, as well.

Definitely...and thanks!
Debra
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:38 am      Reply with quote
I'm also interested in hearing about your progress. I've seriously been leaning towards the 12.5% peel. I'm excited for you!!! I may just have to put an order in before the end of the day. Thanks for sharing this, and I look forward to reading about your experience and progress. I'll be sending positive thoughts to you tomorrow evening! Wink

Deb

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:47 am      Reply with quote
I'm starting to get pretty nervous now. I was re-reading through the reviews on MUA and although most people tolerate the 12.5% very well (no downtime, just light flaking which I'm already used to from other products I've used), a few people stated that they could not go out in public on days 3,4 and 5! Shock That means Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday for me and I work all three days! Perhaps those people had it so bad because maybe their skin wasn't used to exfoliants and so there was a lot of dead skin buildup. Who knows, but I'm just trying to come up with something to help me feel a bit better about this! Laughing

Has anyone here tried the 12.5% TCA?
shantel
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:42 pm      Reply with quote
My only advice is - pls make sure you have enough supply of ALA (or HA) availble to speed up ur skin healing. Also I personally would not use Emu Oil at the same day... But I would definately use it on 2-nd, 3rd, etc days after your peel applied after/with ALA or HA.
HTH
shantel
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:44 pm      Reply with quote
Also about Emu Oil - I would recommend using Ultra Emu Oil (vs Clear Emu Oil) for a few nights after peel.
HTH
Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:46 pm      Reply with quote
TAMgirl99 I've used it for spot treatments, but I've never used it everywhere. I've just never had time for the downtime. My skin is pretty sensitive, so you may not react like me. I turn red the day after, and then on the second day, I look really gross. Honestly, mine doesn't look okay for about a week, but I can go out of the house on the third day. - Mind you, I only spot treat my nose. Anna in Sweden does it all the time, though, and I think she's always fine by Monday. It.s probably just my skin - Also, I leave it on until it frosts. It's definitely worth it, though.
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:50 pm      Reply with quote
shantel wrote:
Also about Emu Oil - I would recommend using Ultra Emu Oil (vs Clear Emu Oil) for a few nights after peel.
HTH

Ultra Emu is the one I have. Hmmm, I guess I'll see how my skin does and decide on the emu. I may go ahead and apply the CP and then neosporin tonight just to be on the safe side.

My test spots were only red for about an hour, so I'm not worried so much about that part. I'm more concerned about looking like a mummy next week with my skin falling off. Hopefully my skin is alot like Anna's! Very Happy
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:09 pm      Reply with quote
Okay so I just finished my first peel. It took a lot longer to put all over my face than I thought it would. I used the q-tip method and ended up using about 6 or so since I only dipped each end in once to keep it from getting contaminated. Only until after I finished applying it did I really feel the "burn". I guess I was so busy concentrating before I didn't notice it much. If you've ever done a glycolic peel this does not feel the same, at least to me. Glycolics have a bit more of an itchy sting to them while this one felt more like fire ants or something. Not quite as bad as that, but that's the only thing I could really compare it to.

Anyway, the only area I frosted really was just above the nasolabial area and running parallel to where a natural fold would be. It got especially white on my left side and I'm not quite sure why. I don't think I applied any more to that side, so maybe that side just had more dead skin on it or something. By the way, does anyone know how long the skin is supposed to stay "frosted"? I had assumed that once I washed my face and applied the neosporin that it would be gone, but it's still there. I'm also still feeling a bit of a burn and it's been about 15 minutes since I finished. I know that I got it all off though.

Well, I'll report tomorrow to see how day 1 goes. Keep your fingers crossed! Cool
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:28 pm      Reply with quote
Okay I just went to put the aquaphor on since neosporin apparently has zero moisturizing ingredients and the area I mentioned that turned really white on my left side is now swollen a bit. Shock It's not anything that I don't think will clear up by morning, but it still made my heart skip a beat! Laughing
shantel
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:19 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah, you did it!!!
Keep us posted about the progress!
Best wishes!
Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:25 pm      Reply with quote
The white fades out in a couple of hours. I'm not sure what the determining factor is for whether or not you frost in an area. I'm excited to hear about your results!
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:30 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Shantel and Tosca! Okay so the swelling on my left cheek was gone after an hour and so was any white/redness (whew!). I'm going to start refering to days now so that everyone can get a better timeline of my progress. I'm counting the first full day after the peel as day 1 since I did the peel late last night. So here goes...

Day 1:

Color - Well, I woke up this morning and could tell my face felt really tight. After I got up I immediately went to the mirror to make sure I didn't look like a 3rd degree burn victim and sure enough my face looked completely fine. There *may* be a little bit of pink in a couple of spots, but my skin normally has pink in some areas so I can't really tell and I'm sure neither can anyone else. So far nothing has turned that strange brown color several had mentioned.

Texture - It's hard to describe the way my face looks, and I'm sure no one will even be able to tell at all, but it kind of looks like it would if you put a very thin layer of elmers glue on it. It's not really glossy or anything, maybe a bit more than normal though, but it just looks smoother and tighter. It actually kind of looks better than my normal skin since wrinkles/lines/pores have smoothed out a bit! Laughing However, I still think that it does look a bit *off* somehow, but not bad by any means.

Sensation - This morning the only thing that I feel is tightness. I have no pain whatsoever. It is a bit annoying though, like you've got one of those tightening masks on and you can't wash it off. Not quite as tight, since it's not pulling my eye skin all weird like those masks do, but that's the best way I can describe it.

Well, that's about it. I will report back tomorrow with day 2! Thanks for the support everyone! Very Happy
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:58 am      Reply with quote
TAMgirl99 wrote:

My plan is to do the peel tomorrow night, then immediately apply my CP serum, wait a bit, and then top it off with Emu oil.

don't you neutralise it with bicarb first like with a GA peel?

Glad it's going ok so far anyway. You are waaaaay braver than me!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:08 am      Reply with quote
TAMgirl99 wrote:
Day 1:

Texture - It's hard to describe the way my face looks, and I'm sure no one will even be able to tell at all, but it kind of looks like it would if you put a very thin layer of elmers glue on it. It's not really glossy or anything, maybe a bit more than normal though, but it just looks smoother and tighter. It actually kind of looks better than my normal skin since wrinkles/lines/pores have smoothed out a bit! Laughing However, I still think that it does look a bit *off* somehow, but not bad by any means.

Yes! The very first time I did TCA I thought my face was going to be absolutely flawless! Laughing My hopes were dashed when the top layer peeled off to reveal all my flaws again Crying or Very sad ...

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:24 am      Reply with quote
Hi, Tam how's your peeling going. I did my first Tca peel last Sunday, now 6 days ago. I did 3 layers, burned like the dickens. I was alittle red the 1st 24 hours;after that it felt like my face was so dry it was going to crack. Which is actually what it did, I started to peel, I'm still peeling/flaking alittle, but I think it's just about finnished. I used Emu oil/HA combo at night only on the 2-4th nights. The results are that my skin looks and feels smoohter but not perfect, ha, ha. I'll cont to to do them about every 2-3 wks., am considering going up to 18%. Good luck.
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:56 am      Reply with quote
guapagirl wrote:
don't you neutralise it with bicarb first like with a GA peel?

Yes! The directions say to use baking soda and tepid water which I did to neutralize it, even though they say that TCA neutralizes itself after 5-8 minutes anyway. The difference I found with the TCA is that it doesn't react with the sizzling noise like glycolic does. It really didn't seem to do much except hurt when I did it (but just for a second).

anomaly wrote:
Yes! The very first time I did TCA I thought my face was going to be absolutely flawless! My hopes were dashed when the top layer peeled off to reveal all my flaws again ...

Were you not happy with any of the results then? Or just the fact that you could still see flaws? How many times have you done one?

nomoreneckpain - You are WAY braver than me to do three layers! Just one has been pretty tough I think. I posted my thoughts so far above, but I wanted to add that as I've started cleaning around my house and my body temp has heated up, my face is now stinging/itching a bit. I guess you could compare the feeling to a sunburn. It makes you feel like scratching, but if you do it just stings. I think once I cool off it will go away though. In the meantime I'm keeping an antiobiotic on it and if it continues, I'll add the hyrdocortisone cream.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
I am looking forward to reading your updates! This is very interesting. Please tell me more about the glycolic peels you have done before. What strength, what pH and how long do you leave them on? Also, when was the last time you did a glycolic peel prior to the TCA. I used to get glycolic peels done, I started at 30% and went up to 70% and think that it would be great to know what glycolic peels you are comparing the TCA to.TIA
anomaly
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:51 pm      Reply with quote
TAMgirl,

I was satisfied with the results - a more even skin tone. I'm also doing the peels for long term results: keeping away fine lines, making my few acne pits less noticeable... it's just that my pores and acne scars disappeared completely when the skin was pulled tight the first few days after the peel and it would be nice to have that kind of skin again - the skin I haven't had since my last pregnancy four years ago.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:38 am      Reply with quote
nomoreneckpain wrote:
Hi, Tam how's your peeling going. I did my first Tca peel last Sunday, now 6 days ago. I did 3 layers, burned like the dickens. I was alittle red the 1st 24 hours;after that it felt like my face was so dry it was going to crack. Which is actually what it did, I started to peel, I'm still peeling/flaking alittle, but I think it's just about finnished. I used Emu oil/HA combo at night only on the 2-4th nights. The results are that my skin looks and feels smoohter but not perfect, ha, ha. I'll cont to to do them about every 2-3 wks., am considering going up to 18%. Good luck.

nomoreneckpain, 3 layers on your first time?!?! You're so brave! I've done 3 TCA peels at 12.5 percent and only on the third did I move up to two layers , you've given me the courage to move up to the next level Laughing
TAMgirl99, thanks for your updates, it's always interesting to see how other people deal with their peels. Hope your skin is feeling less like a sunburn. You may not be happy with the results at first, but a 12.5% TCA one layer peel is only equal to about a 70% glycolic peel. Once you start layering, and get to your third peel, you'll see most of your skin's flawa are much less noticable.
yaling111
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:44 am      Reply with quote
HI TAMgirl99,
Where did u get ur TCA peel from? Are they good?
nomoreneckpain
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:59 am      Reply with quote
dealated, Yes I was alittle leary of doing 3 layers but I was afraid I wasn't going to frost and it's my understanding that if you frost you will have better peeling and therefore better results. Also I've been doing Vit A peels for the past 9mo. so I figured my skin could handle 3 layers. I freq. the MakeMeHeal forum and have learned alot about peels from those ladies. I understand that with each successive peel you get cummulative results, so I can't decide whether to do the same % next time or to advance to 18%. Any one with thoughts on this? Thanks.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:42 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |