Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Herbal meds
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:29 am      Reply with quote
Does anyone know of an an herbal remedy for ADHD? Also, does anyone know if Ginko Biloba is effective for depression?
ellyp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:56 am      Reply with quote
I was hospitalized about 8 years ago for depression. They put me on Prozac and I took that for about 6 months to stabalize. Once I got to that point, I did what they always counsel you NOT to do: I went off and self-medicated. I actually started taking SAMe and it worked wonderfully for me. Of course, I think the Prozac would have been cheaper because insurance would have paid for it! I was much more comfortable taking something more natural instead though. I found the best deal on it at Costco.

As for ADHD, I just got a book on how to control that with diet. My son is not ADHD but he has many of the same issues (he has a sensory disorder) so I'm trying to find out how I can help him further through diet and supplements. We have always tightly controlled artificial ingredients in his diet but I'd love to see if there is more we can do to help in that area. I also want to see if there are any specific suppliments that could help (more than what we are doing). I just got the book yesterday so I haven't looked at it. I can let you know what I find once I get around to sitting down long enough to read it!
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:19 pm      Reply with quote
I suffered from clinical depression a few years ago & had a very bad experience with
St. John's Wort. Here are some natural remedies that I've found help.
1. Get outside in the morning & just enjoy the sun. I just would sit in the shade and read.
2. Aerobic exercise. I know it's often the last thing you feel like doing, but it really helps.
3. Although the inclination is to isolate yourself, force yourself to get out & do things with compassionate friends & family.
4. There are many psychologists who can help with cognitive behaviour therapy.
I did end up going on anti-depressants for awhile & am glad I did.My heart goes out to you. I pray for healing & comfort for you.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:55 pm      Reply with quote
I do not know of any herbal remedies for ADHD (and personally would not trust any that claims to help). However I did used to do behavior therapy for autistic children and one of those had ADHD. I found that behavior therapy really helped him and he went to a normal kindergarten with only a support (note that he was also autistic). As far as I know he does not take any drugs because his parents were concerned with side effects (especially with drugs that affect the chemicals in your brain). I even remember a time when he wouldn't eat anything except for 1-2 certain foods which were NOT healthy at all, and through a feeding program now he eats anything his mom cooks for him (but of course he tries not to when he can get away with it Laughing ). His parents even take them out to dinner once in a while and that's a GREAT feat if you've met their son. I really suggest you look into a psychologist instead of herbal remedies. And if whoever that has ADHD is already getting his sort of help them I'm sure he will improve, it just takes time.
Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:30 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks to eveyone. The depression is me and the ADHD is my nephew. - Thought I'd just ask about both together.

Ellyp, thanks for the information about SAMe. I will try it. Mine is not extremely severe right now, but it gets bad sometimes and will be getting bad soon. I don't want to take prescription meds if I don't have to. I'd also be very interested in hearing about anything useful you find out for your son once you read the book.

C4ward, thanks for the tips. I do get a lot of aerobic exercise, and it does help. I do have the inclination to isolate myself sometimes. I try to be aware of that, but sometimes being aware of it doesn't make me change my behavior. I tend to avoid a lot of social situations when I'm not feeling well. I've gone on antidepressants before too, and had a great deal of success with them, but I'v also experienced a few side effects - mostly weird ones. I will look at your tips regularly and try to remind myself of them.

Thanks Sormuimui. My nephew is currently under the care of a psychologist, but his doctor has not tried this approach. He has some difficult behavioral issues, but the medications really make him introverted and quiet. - Not a problem if that was his actual personality, but it's not. He becomes very withdrawn.
smqueen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:06 pm      Reply with quote
hmm i dont know about herbal, but there are a lot of holistic and natural ways to deal with/cure depression.

i found that developing spirituality or getting more into religion helps tremendously.. not just "blindly believing" in stuff but more so about adopting positive values; developing and learning a more positive outlook for life, giving life more value and meaning, and realizing that the world is inherently good and taking part in making the world a better place.. etc etc. i guess a paradygm shift to the more positive in genral, and the positive energy that you will be exposing yourself to will surely affect you for the better.
i have found that consuming a lot of natural foods and living a lifestyle closer to nature helps too. especially consuming a lot of lettuce/leafy greens helps balance the nervous system. eating "live foods" such as fruits, veggies, grains, beans will fill you with their positive energy and as you know the other health benefits that go with it. taking walks to places with beautiful scenery will lift your mood and make you forget about whatever you are unhappy about by distracting and taking your attention away from those matters.
surrounding yourself in positive envoirnment full of positive energy is really the key. before i was really unhappy and depressed until i started doing yoga and that opened me up and exposed me to a completely different world of spirituality, holistic and organic living. nowadays i am seldom depressed, although i still have a bit of anxiety (mostly when put on the spot such as a job interview or public speaking).
hmm, are there any natural cures for anxiety? besides just forcing yourself to be social and out there (sorry to hijack)
smqueen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:06 pm      Reply with quote
lol sorry i didnt know "hm.m" without the . would make hmm face
Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:36 pm      Reply with quote
Ha, ha! I didn't know about the hm.m, either, smqueen. I'm glad you did it first! That may be helpful. I think a lot of those things relate to what c4ward said, as well. I should probably develop a more spiritual connection to the world around me. I really love nature and I find it very calming and relaxing. I just don't get out there as much as I used to, and I don't eat as well as I did at one time either. I can remember driving home from work and feeling euphoric just because the sun was beautiful. It's been a long time since I've done that. I think I've lost a lot of my faith in humanity and also lost a lot of my connection with nature. We're very much city-dwellers, and it would probably do me good to go for a drive out to the country sometimes and just get out and enjoy. I tend to take the weight of the world on my shoulders and feel responsible for solving eveyone's problems.
ellyp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:54 pm      Reply with quote
Tosca, I really feel for you! It's been a long climb for me to get out of the depression I was in but I did it! I just had my third baby and even with the huge hormonal fluctuations that you have postpartum, I did really well this time NOT getting depressed! A huge achievement for me compared to where I was 8 years ago!!

I think everyone's advice is great! Here's what I did:

hospitalization (problem identified, people helping me solve it)

getting right with God

drugs (Prozac for about 6 months, SAMe for about 2 years)

therapy (individual and marriage) - my husband and I did this for 6 years but only 2 of those were weekly visits. The rest of the time was occasional maintanience. It was worth EVERY PENNY that we spent on it!

diet and exercise (or being a lot more active, I'm terrible with exercise routines!) - I changed my diet radically and it made me feel sooo much better! I had more energy and I lost a lot of weight. It really helps you have a better view of life when you feel like getting up and doing things!

being more social - I am now more connected to others and God has given me several really close friends. That has helped tons because I no longer feel lonely like before.

There are no easy answers to depression but I just tried to deal with it in a positive manner and not kick myself if I failed in some things that particular day. Now, 8 years later, I don't immediately get all desperate when I fail. I still feel good about myself -- the very core of me. Of course, I still have to fixed what I failed at! Rolling Eyes Smile

As for ADHD, I didn't have time to look at that book much but it looks very promising. I will try to look at it further tomorrow (as well as give you the name of it).

I have to say, I was touched by your honesty. This forum is just such a nice welcoming place, I'm so grateful to everyone for that! ((hugs))
Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:59 am      Reply with quote
Thanks, ellyp! I really appreciate your and everyone elses' advice ad support! It's nice to know that others have been through ths too and have come out okay.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:45 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |