Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

When to start with botox and hyaluronic acid
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
mimiek
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:22 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Ladies,

I would like to know at what age is it ok to use botox or wrinkle fillers like hyaluronic acid. I’m 26 years young Very Happy and I have a big phobia since I was a little child from getting old which included getting wrinkles etc.

I’ve started seeing signs of aging on my face, especially on the left side of my face. I noticed that I am getting a laugh line on the left side of my mouth (The lines on the corners of the mouth that you get when you smile). It’s not visible all the time but after a long working day with the customers and a smiling face it becomes visible for me. And my next problem is wrinkles under my left eye. These fine lines are visible when I laugh but even when I’m not laughing if I look at the mirror very close I can see them too. I also have much more dark circles under this eye compared with my right eye, but the reason could be that I was hit by a tennis ball at school when we was playing a game like baseball but that was when I was 15 years Cool . I recently developed a red broken capillary under the same eye.

The next problem is two horizontal lines that are about 0.5 cm long above my left eyebrow. Those could be a result from laser hair removal in that area that left big open pores, or it’s simply because I can lift my left eyebrow but not the right one.

I also have a very very fine horizontal line that is almost invisible; I’m the only one who can see it.

It’s good to mention, that the right side of my face is free from wrinkles, I am left handed, I play soccer with my left foot, I eat on the left side, but I almost never sleep on the left side.
I also don’t like drinking water and I drink at most 5 glasses of water/tea/juice each day.
I’ve been thinking about hyaluronic acid injections to fill these wrinkles, but I might be too young for that. I use organic aloe vera, jojoba oil and regular peels including salicylic acid peels and scrubs, my face is very very smooth. It’s just those wrinkles that bother me.

What do you recommend me to do? I’ve been thinking of starting drinking 10 glasses of water to see if I get any improvement.

What do you think?
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:58 pm      Reply with quote
Hej Mimie!

I wrote about just what you are talking about on another thread called, "Botox under the eyes" maybe you can search for that here. I've had Botox injections under my eyes once (5 shots under each eye) that was over 3 years ago and I think that TCA peels work MUCH better. TCA is not a Glycolic-AHA acid it is stronger than that. It helps with wrinkles and sun spots. I will turn 35 this Sunday and I feel that I look better now than I did when I turned 30. Smile
Blutkindx
5% products discount

Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:26 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Mimiek Very Happy I'm 26 years old too and have the same worries about aging, fortunately i haven't any wrinkles for the moment Cool I think you should first drink more water,try to drink 2 liters per day, i know that can be a lot for someone that doesn't like drink water but it seems to works one me. Hydration is the first anti wrinkles prevention, imagine an old dryed apple, this is the same process for skin Exclamation I think that injections are for a more wrinkled skin than yours, maybe the use of topical hyaluronic acid is enough for you (like cellex c or skinceuticals hydra 5 beta complex), this kind of product is intended for deep epidermic layers hydration. Your tiny wrinkles makes me think about dehydration lines, i have experienced that. And what moisturizer do you use, what is your skin type ?

Products used : Betaplex Gentle Foaming Cleanser - Betaplex Fresh Complexion Mist - Idealist Estee Lauder - Cellex C Bio Botanical - Cellex C GLA Eye Balm- Cellex C Under Eye Toning Gel - Cellex C Speed Peel Facial Gel - Cellex C Skin Perfecting Pen -
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:16 pm      Reply with quote
I have read that they are starting to use Botox as a preventative measure. I guess they figure that stopping motion in certain areas of the face (crows feet, forhead elevens) will prevent motion wrinkles from ever forming in those areas!
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:31 pm      Reply with quote
Honestly, we are our own worst critics. I was similar to you at your age and am turning 35 next month. The biggest thing you can do is keep out of the sun & always wear sun protection. That being said moisturize, moisturize. Be careful with the botox. I've done it and it did not look natural. It looks horrible when you can't move your face like Nicole Kidman (who I love). Good luck.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:57 pm      Reply with quote
Hi mimiek - I'm 54 and really do believe it's too soon for you to start Botox or Restylane injections. They're expensive, they hurt a bit, and they only last a few months. I was well into my 40s before I ever tried them, and I've only done it a few times. You're talking about spending close to $1000 for both, to get about 4 months of satisfaction.

What you're describing isn't wrinkles, but lines. Have you ever tried an enzyme mask like the PSF Pumpkin Enzyme Peel or Juice Beauty Green Apple Peel (2 strengths)? Masks such as these can really get rid of the dry, crusty outer layer of skin (stratum corneum) to reveal a polished surface. Various acid products could also be beneficial, like Anna in Sweden suggested. Or even a retinoid. In any case, I really agree with c4ward that sunscreen is a MUST, especially when you use exfoliating products. And I also agree with her comment about feeling the same way when she was your age -- I felt that way too in my mid 20s!!! My skin looks great for my age and I give credit to sunscreen, acids, and retinoids.
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:12 am      Reply with quote
mimiek wrote:

I also don’t like drinking water and I drink at most 5 glasses of water/tea/juice each day.

Shock I'd count yourself lucky you don't look like a prune!

Agree with most of whats been said above, though I would approach serious peels with caution at your age if your skin is generally good. Also, if you start having fillers injected into your creases (cos they aren't really wrinkles by the sounds of it), you will be commited to doing it for a lifetime.

better to just take optimum care of your skin and keep it healthy. That way when you *do* get wrinkles, it'll happen slowly and be in keeping with your age.

You may be phobic about aging, but do you really want a totally expressionless immobile plastic doll like face in your 30s, 40s and so on?

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:58 am      Reply with quote
mimiek

Quote:
Hi Ladies,

I would like to know at what age is it ok to use botox or wrinkle fillers like hyaluronic acid. I’m 26 years young and I have a big phobia since I was a little child from getting old which included getting wrinkles etc.

26 years is really too young to even think about botox. What will you do when you get older?

Has anyone researched into the long term use of botox on your muscles? I think it relaxes the muscle (please let me know if I am wrong). If the muscle is always relaxed, will it result in the muscle sagging in the long run - since it is not used any longer?
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:57 am      Reply with quote
Hi Ninetynine - I've worried about the same thing myself -- muscle atrophy. That's why I haven't been a regular Botox customer.

On the other hand, some believe that regular injections will help prevent lines from forming in the first place since skin CAN"T crease at the injected areas.

My guess is that the jury's still out on Botox, and time will tell what long-term effects it has.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:24 am      Reply with quote
Having used botox already I do believe in the smallest doses if you have to, but not as a preventative. We had looked into botox for my sons tooth grinding and it was going to take so much and several second opinions said the muscle could enventually stop functioning properly AT HIGHER DOSES. So we chose acupuncture and it worked! I am glad to not have to choose that drastic a route for someone that age. Every doctor I talked to said low doses for the 11"s at min. intervals were okay, but higher doses and full facial treatments were a little riskier. I would not start it unless you had too. I use restylane also in my nasolabial (expensive and painful), but I only do it once a year and am working out the remaining lines with product (retinol, peel, etc).

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:44 am      Reply with quote
I am fifty and notice that I have more blotchiness on my left side than on the right side of my face.
I do not know which country that you reside in ~ but ~ in America, we drive so that if I am the driver, the left side of my face gets all the sun exposure.
So, I agree with the above posters, sunscreen is a must to protect our faces/necks from UV induced aging.
I feel that you are way too young for Botox, etc.
I think a really good moisturizer, combined with daily sunscreen use, will iron out the wrinkles.
My husband thinks I look young for my age, and that I look younger than many of my friends (in his eyes) BUT some of my friends are avid gardeners or hikers and they actually really live their lives without concern about wrinkles and I think that they look great!!!
Maybe, we need to worry less about wrinkles and enjoy our lives to the fullest! Smile
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:49 am      Reply with quote
mimiek I think I should clarify something in case someone gets the wrong impression. I was just pointing out that they are using Botox as a preventative. I myself don't believe that this is a good idea. In all honesty I have not and will not consider using Botox. Long term safety issues that some others raised certainly play a part in my decision. But a lot of it has to do with my aversion to the whole concept of paralyzing my muscles. I won't even use products like argerline that claim to have a similar effect!!
Janis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:06 am      Reply with quote
MimieK, what you're describing sounds very normal for a 26-year-old.

But I have to be honest, I can't believe ANY 26-year-old would be even considering Botox. I am fairly anti-Botox myself in general, just as a concept, but particularly for someone under 30.

And look, I understand completely the emotions and fears that are prompting your interest in Botox. Seeing signs of age SUCKS. Realizing you are not immortal, will not stay young forever, and that your skin and body will change in ways beyond your control -- yes, frightening. But isn't it important to not deny that these things will happen, and try to develop some sort of healthy acceptance towards the whole aging process?

Personally, I believe that paralyzing parts of your face is even more frightening than aging itself. It's an unnatural way to try to control a process that happens naturally.

You are young right now, and I think it's best to just focus on taking care of yourself, using whatever preventative measures you can, and for the rest of it, just letting go and trying to achieve some peace of mind.

I feel like Botox would put you on a lifelong path of anxiety about aging and using whatever next dramatic corrective measures you can as you get older -- spending hundreds and thousands of dollars trying to have control over things. Trust me, you don't want to have a frozen Dolly Parton face by the time you're 40.

I am not trying to sound harsh, in fact, it's meant as a bit of a pep talk. Hope it helps... and if it doesn't, well, ignore me and do whatever you want!
mimiek
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:11 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for all the great advices, I think as many ladies here said that my main problem is that I don’t drink enough water. I’ve been awake since 6.45 am and the clock now is almost 6pm and I just drunk a glass of hot chocolate that’s the only thing containing water that I drunk today. But I do eat healthy food, I’m 90%vegeterian.

The strange think is that the right side on my face is free from lines and wrinkles, it’s the left side that bothers me. I don’t look older than my age, most of people think that I am younger and I get lots of complements about my skin and the way I look, BUT I’m afraid of getting old and getting wrinkles. That’s why I want to get rid of those lines before they get deeper.
I stopped using creams on my face, because it ended up giving me blackheads clogged my pores. I use pure organic aloe vera and some times I use organic jojoba oil. But I had best result with menthol oil that really plumped my face when I used it at night. For my eyes I use an eye gel with argerline, but not all the time. I have some periods where the inner corners of my eye lids gets very dry and flaky so I stop using creams and eye gel. The reason might be a lack of hydration.

I only use make up with SPF atleast 6 and I don’t spend time in the sun. I should listen to your advices, and I will start with drinking much more water. I will also call a dermatologist to get help specially for my left eye and the laugh line.

Thank you all. You are GREAT
mimiek
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:21 am      Reply with quote
Janis,

Yes I understand what you mean, but I think what I got is a phobia. I’ve been like that since I was a child as long as I remember. People used to tease me and tell me that my mother will get old and I used to react very hard. I see lines that others don’t see. And no I don’t prefer botox but I might consider it if used in very low concentrations without making me look like a plastic doll. Of course I’m looking for a better option and I might use botox as the last option.

So I should start drinking lots of water, keep using peels + I’ve been thinking of copper peptides and retinoids. I will also visit a dermatologist and I might consider HA fillers if anything else doesn't help.
Blutkindx
5% products discount

Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:13 pm      Reply with quote
mimiek wrote:
Thanks for all the great advices, I think as many ladies here said that my main problem is that I don’t drink enough water. I’ve been awake since 6.45 am and the clock now is almost 6pm and I just drunk a glass of hot chocolate that’s the only thing containing water that I drunk today. But I do eat healthy food, I’m 90%vegeterian.

The strange think is that the right side on my face is free from lines and wrinkles, it’s the left side that bothers me. I don’t look older than my age, most of people think that I am younger and I get lots of complements about my skin and the way I look, BUT I’m afraid of getting old and getting wrinkles. That’s why I want to get rid of those lines before they get deeper.
I stopped using creams on my face, because it ended up giving me blackheads clogged my pores. I use pure organic aloe vera and some times I use organic jojoba oil. But I had best result with menthol oil that really plumped my face when I used it at night. For my eyes I use an eye gel with argerline, but not all the time. I have some periods where the inner corners of my eye lids gets very dry and flaky so I stop using creams and eye gel. The reason might be a lack of hydration.

I only use make up with SPF atleast 6 and I don’t spend time in the sun. I should listen to your advices, and I will start with drinking much more water. I will also call a dermatologist to get help specially for my left eye and the laugh line.

Thank you all. You are GREAT

I'm sure now that your problem is dehydration lines, because sometimes you don't apply skincare, if it clogs your pores try something lighter or oil free if your skin is combination to oily, don't forget to apply moisturizers every day on your face and eye zone, and again drink drink drink (water of course Wink )

Products used : Betaplex Gentle Foaming Cleanser - Betaplex Fresh Complexion Mist - Idealist Estee Lauder - Cellex C Bio Botanical - Cellex C GLA Eye Balm- Cellex C Under Eye Toning Gel - Cellex C Speed Peel Facial Gel - Cellex C Skin Perfecting Pen -
rayofsun
5% products discount

Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:07 pm      Reply with quote
Embarassed I have a very similar problem. I am only 24 years old but I am already starting to see first signs of aging and I don't like it! Sad I have been squinting all my life due to bad eyesight and even after I got a surgery to fix it, it is a habit. I have fine lines under my eyes and around mouth. Also, the whole skin on my face is sagging more. I always use moisturizer and eye cream but have not seen improvements. Could someone tell me what are the first steps to start fighting against aging? Someone mentioned peels. What kind of peels? Can someone recommend a product? Anything else? When and how to start using the other stuff? My skin is normal I would say, although I have noticed the poores look bigger and bigger lately. I read from another thread that that could be due to using Bare Minerals makeup. Could someone help me please? Thank you!
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:08 am      Reply with quote
In defense of botox, I use a very small amount so I can still make any expression, I just don't squint to the extreme in my glabellar area (11's). I only get it there and a tiny amount to relax my lip line and it has completely stopped my bad habit of chewing the inside of my lip, which in turn had made other lines forms there. You can look plastic if you get it large amounts and all over your forhead, 11's, and crows feet areas and the injector has put in too much. Then you have the danger of having to get larger amounts every time or more often. I used to have migraines or get a headache from the tired squinting and I don't anymore. I can also go very long times in between w/o having to have it redone. It's been almost a year now and I'm not even near ready to go back. The products have done all the rest in erasing the lines, and my baby Q is keeping everyhting plumped up. Having said all that, I never recommend starting it if you don't have to. I wish I didn't even have to consider it, if I could start over with my skin at your age knowing what I have learned here. Botox is not cheap, nor is resty, and it is painful to some degrees. The cheapest thing I have learned is what you have already heard, LOTS of Water. That has made a huge differance in my skin overall. Sunscreen, Vitamin C, limit alcohol and smoking, these are all things to consider most at your age before damage is done. I have lovely crows feet around my eyes, which I have never touched. They remind me that I am a happy person who smiles alot and enjoys life. I would never consider freezing those, it's my badge of honor (now a little eye cream on them is another story.) Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:29 pm      Reply with quote
<<Honestly, we are our own worst critics. I was similar to you at your age and am turning 35 next month. The biggest thing you can do is keep out of the sun & always wear sun protection. That being said moisturize, moisturize. Be careful with the botox. I've done it and it did not look natural. It looks horrible when you can't move your face like Nicole Kidman (who I love). Good luck.

Nicole Kidman looks so unnatural. I thought she uses botox too. I am glad someone confirmed it.
Rose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:35 pm      Reply with quote
AnnieR,

Thank you for the advice and info. I have not received any botox yet. In a few free consultations with some of the non-dermatologist doctors who perform skincare procedures, they all recommend that I get botox treament. They suggested that I use 20 units around my crow's feet and undereye area. However, my derm who is specailized skincare thinks that I just need 12 units in all. I think selecting the right doctor is very important. I am tempting to give it a try, but I am still trying to gather more info before I do.

Rose
Shirley M
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:48 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Rose, I would love to know how your research for botox goes, I have been seriously thinking about it myself (41 years old and crows feet). Good luck!
Shirley M
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:57 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |